Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive - Ryan Gosling & Carey Mulligan [** SPOILERS FROM POST 219 ONWARD **]

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I love the way this film polarises opinion so much.

Just watched it the other night and for me I thought it was superb. Excellent acting, paricularly the two leads for me, the chemistry was believable and the little prolonged silences and glances just made it more palpable.

Visually at times beautiful and soft and at times unbelievably violent and shocking, and of course that soundtrack.

It's one of those ones destined for cult status, as the people who love it can't understand how others could hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I love the way this film polarises opinion so much.

Just watched it the other night and for me I thought it was superb. Excellent acting, paricularly the two leads for me, the chemistry was believable and the little prolonged silences and glances just made it more palpable.

Visually at times beautiful and soft and at times unbelievably violent and shocking, and of course that soundtrack.

It's one of those ones destined for cult status, as the people who love it can't understand how others could hate it!

And vice versa! :)

I'm amazed you've picked out the chemistry between the two leads. I thought there was absolutely zero between them.

I've mentioned earlier in this thread that I watched this film twice and I don't like it, yet I don't dislike it... I don't know how to feel about it! :( All in all, it left me very underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I finally got around to watching Drive last night and was blown away by it. Had I seen this last year it would easily have topped my best of list from that year.

I was a little wary of it as a lot of people have complained about the long pauses but it didn't bother me at all. I had to rewatch the opening ten minutes again tonight (before the rental expired) because it was just so good. I don't often appreciate the work that goes into the soundtrack of a film but the I loved the music in this. So much so that I will probably end up getting the soundtrack.

A definite Bluray purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Totally Agree!

I loved Drive, Gosling as per usual is outstanding!!

As described above, the movie is actually totally different to the premise of 'stunt driver moonlighting as a getaway driver' it goes far deeper than that.

Drive is THE MUST SEE of 2011 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

There is one very isolated scene which is very violent. It's certainly not what I would call a violent movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

humbert wrote: »
    There is one very isolated scene which is very violent. It's certainly not what I would call a violent movie.

What about the
    violence against women
    ?

Or the
    slashing of the wrists
    ?

Or the
    drowning of the mob boss
    ?

Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 twimkat

If you like this movie you should check out Diva the french film from the 80s. The plot is totally different but the style is similar and Diva is such a great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kop99

Best movie I have seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Soundtrack is class too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

heard their planning a sequel to this. i hope they do brilliant film and a brilliant character

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

ricero wrote: »
    heard their planning a sequel to this. i hope they do brilliant film and a brilliant character

Nah, leave it alone i say, its almost perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I watched this last weekend and I absolutely loved it.

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying here I thought the first 40 or so minutes were the best of it. The opening scene was good but once you begin to see the chemistry between the two it really goes to an amazing level. I think you need to evaluate the film with what Refn actually said about it, it's based on the idea of a fairytale, and it's about character archetypes. The minimal conversation between Gosling and Mulligan but the long knowing looks brings them out perfectly. From what I could tell Gosling didn't even sleep with her, he was just nice to her, helpful, looked after her son and looked after her. And she loved him for it, and he loved doing it for them. When her husband comes back he's initially wary of Gosling but eventually it turns out Gosling is going to help him too, even though he knows he will be losing her and her son if he does because the husband is going straight.

Up to the robbery going wrong I felt so incredibly tense. I knew something was going to go wrong, I just didn't know what. I didn't know how this perfect situation was going to be ruined. Prior to that I thought the husband coming home was going to ruin it, or when she revealed he was in prison, or when he drove really fast for her and I thought she was going to give out about speeding with her kid there. Then the robbery goes wrong, and I felt that tension fall away. I knew Gosling was going to sort out the situation. That was the entire point of his being, to sort out the inevitable bad situation that happens.

Other bits I loved were the elevator scene. That's honestly one of the most beautiful scenes I can remember. He turns to her and kisses her (for the only time we know of) and he knows he's about to lose her because of what he's about to do, protect her. He stomps in yer man's head, saves him and her and her son, she knows this, he knows this, but she can't live with someone who could do that. And as the lift door closes their relationship is finished, but he's still going to protect her and her son because he's a "hero."

I think what's also great is the minimal effort that was needed to define the characters and how true to their character they were. You knew Mulligan wouldn't be with him knowing how violent he was, you knew he was going to sort out the situation, you knew the husband cared for his family, you knew Cranston was going to mess up, you knew Brooks was cold and collected and you knew Perlman was a lunatic. And once the film wanted you to have them figured out, you did, instantly. The direction of your attention towards the characters was superb.

Overall, this was one of the best films I've seen in a long time. I actually rate it above Bronson, one of Refn's other films. And for anyone interested in Refn's work you should watch Only God Forgives to see how absolutely amazingly Refn can **** up.

Advertisement