Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive - Ryan Gosling & Carey Mulligan [** SPOILERS FROM POST 219 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ryan Gosling has been forgiven for the Notebook after this and Blue Valentine and Half Nelson.

What's that supposed to mean? I'd put Blue Valentine up there with Drive as the best two movies this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Aidric wrote: »
    What's that supposed to mean? I'd put Blue Valentine up there with Drive as the best two movies this year.

Agreed - Blue Valentine was solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Think he was saying it was good, and The Notebook was so crap, he's forgiven him after all those films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Was probably looking forward to this film too much after Valhalla Rising & Bronson, no way it could live up to my expectations.

It was a bit of a waste having Ryan Gosling playing an emotionless near mute, and I was expecting more car chases in a film called Drive.

I give it 3/5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Got to say this film was great from start to finish. The violence was crazy and came out of nowhere and Ryan Gosling has been forgiven for the Notebook after this and Blue Valentine and Half Nelson. He's certainly the best young actor in Amercia. He had the coolness of a young Steve Mcqueen. Refn has cemented his place in Hollywood with this and i love the soundtrack to this as well. It reminded me of Grand theft Auto:p

Ron Prealman Albert Brooks and Bryan Cranston were brillant. Carey Mulligan did good in a underwritten role.

THis is destined to be a cult classic that will be passed around on DVD or blu-ray by film buffs in years to come.

What was wrong with Blue Valentine?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

He never criticised Blue Valentine! He said he's forgiven for the Notebook after this, Blue Valentine and Half Nelson.

And while the performances in BV are top notch, it's hardly a masterpiece either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭human repellent

I honestly don't know why people slate the notebook, it is what it is romanticisim and it did jump start his carear sometimes you need to do these movies that appeal to the masses.

If he didn't do the notebook would he be around today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I honestly don't know why people slate the notebook, it is what it is romanticisim and it did jump start his carear sometimes you need to do these movies that appeal to the masses.

If he didn't do the notebook would he be around today ?

Pffft, The Young Hercules is what shot him to stardom brah! :P I also liked him in Murder by numbers. I've never seen the notebook, for obvious reasons.

I didn't like lars and the real girl, haven't seen blue valentine and half nelson, are they worth a watch?

I myself loved Drive, loved it from start to finish. Sure his character was boring/quiet, but some people are like that and his quiet reserve really added to the tension in some of the scenes, the rest of the cast made up for it in terms of character. Excellent performances from all and solid directing. I was on the edge of my seat for the "waiting in the car" scenes, i was nearly shouting COME ON myself at the screen. Great stuff really, and top notch soundtrack.

My fav film so far this year and i dont think anything will top it before the years out, from what i can see on the cards anyway. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Just saw this tonight. Great film, good cast and great soundtrack. I like how his character is very quiet. Left me thinking a lot about his potential backstory or what's going on in his head given how violent he can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Aidric wrote: »

did you read the rest of my post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

kraggy wrote: »
    What was wrong with Blue Valentine?

i should have put the full stop at the end of the notebook. nothing it was suppose to say "after Blue Valentine and half nelson and Drive he's know the best young talent in amercia".

It was a bad typo sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Half Nelson is wonderful, moving and poignant without falling into the "teacher inspires his students" clichés.

Cracking soundtrack by Broken Social Scene too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Film of the year for me... But still to see tinker, tailor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭human repellent

Was contemplating going to see tink tailor tonight in the cinema, either that or warrior.

Not to sure, I've heard warrior is excellent on all fronts while tinker tailor is VERY hit or miss, bear in mind I don't mind a slow movie at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Was contemplating going to see tink tailor tonight in the cinema, either that or warrior.

Not to sure, I've heard warrior is excellent on all fronts while tinker tailor is VERY hit or miss, bear in mind I don't mind a slow movie at all.
    I’d recommend both. I enjoyed Warrior, but it’s very long and not exactly original. However, it’s more than worth it for Hardy, Nolte and the fight sequences at the end. TTSS is close to being my favourite film of the year, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. As thrillers go, it’s more akin to The Conversation or The Lives of Others than what is generally considered a thriller now days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

dilallio wrote: »
    I think the same song was also used in 28 Days Later.
    I loved the soundtrack in the Movie - reminded me a lot of some of Michael Mann's use of music in his movies.

Yes, I think Mann is a large influence here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

For those asking did he leave the criminals.

I would have thought it was quite obvious that the plan was to go to the game.

Radio with the game being broadcast, hat and jacket to blend in.

WHY do we need to see two criminals that are a non-factor and have their story thrown in, it's his story. Not theirs.

I disagree here.
    The two guys in the car looked in confusion at him when he kept turning the radio up and when he drove down towards the stadium. IMO his actions in leaving them and his line at the beginning about "being theirs for a five minute window, anything outside that five minute window and they're on their own" was to show that his character doesn't really care about anyone else. He'll do the job he's hired for but if it goes wrong, he'll leave your ass.

That's what makes his actions later in the film all the more heroic, all part of the characters arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

Drive.. i'm unsure about it.
    saw it last night.

first scene..pure excellence in film-making
    but after that..i dunno.

the soundtrack and style carry the film more than the plot.
    A strange quiet guy who i definitely would not get on with in real life.. decides to help a neighbour family.
    its not very interesting without the ultra cool soundtrack and lovely pace of the film.

i will definitely be buying the soundtrack and driving around listening to it thinking i'm ultra cool.. but thats about it

The film relies too heavily on nostalgia and nods to other films and film makers.. i.e.
    the normal guy who is seething below the surface with contempt for the world.. too much like taxi driver.
    The criminal scumbag with a heart of gold...??
    The 80's style synth music while driving.. pure michael mann. some of the violent scenes were drenched in music that was identical to Mann's Manhunter.
    The underplayed relationship that goes nowhere.."yawn"..glen hansard in Once springs to mind.. along with shedloads of other similar stories..

anyway i don't mean to knock it..just trying to figure out if i enjoyed it or not..
    I suppose I did really enjoy it..the music was serious and the style was intoxicating. but i truly didn't care less about the main characters..or the uninteresting plot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

First comparison I've seen between Once and Drive. Thanks Laserface! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

you're welcome mr.lebowski... was gonna compare it to the relationship between stephen dorff and his daughter in Somewhere..but i didn't see that all the way through

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Drive is indeed enormously derivative of other films, but so are many great films. Our familiarity with the story and characters is what gives the film a mythic feel (think of Star Wars, for example). Gosling’s character is basically a gunslinger out of the old west. He’s a loner who speaks with his actions rather than his words. He has a particular skill at which he is peerless. He’s selfish, only out for himself, until he comes across a vulnerable group in need. He helps them, changing their world forever, and then he leaves. This is pure Western mythology.

The film I’d be more inclined to draw comparisons with is Once Upon a Time in the West, a film which doesn’t have a single frame or line in it that isn’t paying tribute some western. Like that film, what sets Drive apart is the style in which it’s made. The film epitomizes cinematic cool. The story is an old one that we’ve seen told many times before, and the depth is in the way the story is told rather than the story itself. This is what I mean I say style as substance. There's also, as already said, a likely Michael Mann influence, and most of Mann's crime films are basically modern-day Westerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (Another all tiime favorite of mine) has a similar mythos too.

Even has a few night driving scenes too (just switch it to a more eastern philosophy and replace the Synth Pop with 90s Hip-Hop).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Liked the film alot reminded me of old 70's films like The Driver etc.

The main character role also reminded me of The man with no name that Clint Eastwood played with little dialogue etc.

I think the film was a nod or tip of the hat towards numerous films and I think that's why I enjoyed it.

The soundtrack was very good too again very Mann like or even Carpenter type synth music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Saw this on Thursday, thought it was very decent. Great soundtrack, and actually not too much big driving scenes which is good as I am not massively into car films in the vain of Fast and the Furious or whatever.

One question though:
    he gets stabbed at the end, in the stomach, but is fine really and just drives away?! WTF. Found that a bit unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

do the Cinemas just not have a f---ing clue? I mean with ****e like abduction getting general release , I just dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

do the Cinemas just not have a f---ing clue? I mean with ****e like abduction getting general release , I just dont know

They dont have a ****ing clue! I have the choice of the Smurfs though.

They dont have a ****ing clue! I have the choice of the Smurfs though.

You know it's not always the cinemas fault, often there are only so many prints to go around and as such certain cinemas don't get a specific film till later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Derivative it might be but the opening 30 minutes or so of this movie are some of the best scenes ever committed to cinema. Mindblowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

• Advertisement

It does seem to have gotten a fairly limited release alright. Blame the distributor for not pushing it enough. There's probably a perception that this is an arthouse film and won't go down well with mainstream audiences.

Advertisement