Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization: Beyond Earth

Options
  • 20-06-2014 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Couldn't find the original thread, so I'm assuming either the thread title is incorrect, or it's still over in Games general. Either way, this belongs here.

PC Gamer hands-on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yep, this is on my wishlist. Seems like anything Firaxis touch lately is pure gold for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I started the previous one as soon as I saw info on it. It isn't in my threads started so it was obviously killed with the transitions going on with the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,921 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

civilization, good game even though late game becomes a "3 minute render" of AI turns and movements

now take that and apply it to sci fi? why hell yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Very much looking forward to this one, have sort of hit a rut with CiV enjoyment-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 adamrains456

What a great game dude its really blows up my mind thinking is very important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

If you haven't, check out Alpha Centauri.

Great game back in the day and still now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Overheal wrote: »
    civilization, good game even though late game becomes a "3 minute render" of AI turns and movements

Click "strategic view" before ending each turn, saves loads of time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I played Alpha-Centauri back in the day - found the game play not of the same interest or coherence of the main Civ games. So I'm adopting a wait and see approach to Beyond Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Never played Alpha-Centauri but i'm so pumped for this. Unluckily, I'll have my Rig built for when its out so i can fully experience it. No More Strategic view in a large end game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Looking forward to this!
    Never played Alpha Centauri so it would be good to see what they do with the Tech trees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

The launch details have been officially announced - the release date is the 27th of October and pre-orders will receive the following in an Exoplanets Map Pack;
    • Kepler 186f: This lush forest planet is one of the oldest known Earth-like planets
    • Rigil Khantoris Bb: Orbiting the closest star to our solar system, the historical records of this arid continental planet's settlement are well-preserved
    • Tau Ceti d: This planet of seas and archipelagos features a booming biodiversity and a wealth of resources
    • Mu Arae f: Tidally locked in orbit around a weak star, the southern hemisphere of this planet is a blistering desert where the sun never sets, while the northern hemisphere is perpetually in frozen darkness
    • 82 Eridani e: An alien world of scarce water and wracked by tectonic forces
    • Eta Vulpeculae b: A mysterious new discovery with unknown terrain

The E3 walkthrough video has also been released!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Nice, three days less to wait than PC Gamer were reporting. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Nice, three days less to wait than PC Gamer were reporting. :pac:

Probably a Tuesday release for the states and Friday for Europe maybe?

2K generally do worldwide releases, it might be at an odd hour though, like 1 or 2am

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

2K generally do worldwide releases, it might be at an odd hour though, like 1 or 2am

2am is early by Civ standards so no problem there :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I need this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

For my sins, I've never actually played a Civ game before. But I'll be playing this!

Oak76 wrote: »
    For my sins, I've never actually played a Civ game before. But I'll be playing this!

You probably should pick up one of them for cheap on steam or wherever, it's easy to pick up, difficult to master

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You probably should pick up one of them for cheap on steam or wherever, it's easy to pick up, difficult to master

Maybe even start with 3. It looks a little dated but it's a great game none the less.

4 and 5 got progressively more complicated.

If you have a basic knowledge of research, the tech tree, how the interface works and all that, it'll make learning about trade routes, diplomacy and combat smoother.

• Advertisement

Have always wanted to get into them, but I'm wary of games I could lose a lot of time to - I've put hundreds upon hundreds of hours into a couple of games from the TW series for example. But I reckon the sci-fi theme of this will be too much to resist.

Having said that, I'm hoping to be going back to college as a mature student next year, so I could catch up with the earlier games then. :pac:

RPS have a hands-on;

rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/21/hands-on-civilization-beyond-earth/

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Oak76 wrote: »
    RPS have a hands-on;

rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/21/hands-on-civilization-beyond-earth/

A good read, increases anticipation even further! Will check back to read the other articles on civilization series as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'm sooooo looking forward to this.... poor health, lack of sleep, deteriorating relationships, the whole Civ experience :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Steam pre-orders have started.

Aaaaaand it's €50. Which is complete garbage considering it's only $50/£30.

Gonna nope right the fūck away from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

TheChrisD wrote: »

Seems to be the European online price. GMG sent me an email with a 25% off voucher the other day suggesting I pre order.

Wish I'd taken the offer up now, it expired on the 18th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

TheChrisD wrote: »

This is a well known issue with Steam, Valve do not give a single **** about exchange rates and have been screwing Euro Zone countries for years by converting dollar prices to euros directly meaning 1$ = 1€ to them

And it's region locked, so you can't even buy it from a Russian trader. Might have to buy a physical copy from Amazon at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

VinLieger wrote: »
    This is a well known issue with Steam, Valve do not give a single **** about exchange rates and have been screwing Euro Zone countries for years by converting dollar prices to euros directly meaning 1$ = 1€ to them

It's not Steam setting the price, it's 2K (and the other publishers for other games). It's €50 everywhere in Europe, even on the French and German Amazons. UK Amazon on the other hand, has it for £27, which is only €35!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just pre ordered on amazon.

Advertisement