Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL GEM 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

greentoast wrote: »
    Do you think round zero could possibly see 53? Or any rounds for that matter. Getting jittery!

That was the score for last year so I would imagine it would stay the same. In less than 12 hours we will find out :D

Watch a movie, order some take out, try and relax and not think about it:D I wish you the very best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tk09aag

Anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 R.Hunter

Got offered my place this morning at 9am... Delighted! I had 53 so I'm assuming everyone above this received a place? Congratulations!

Congratulations to everyone who got offers! For those who didn't, hang in there I am sure you'll get an offer in the next round.

For those who got an offer, do you know when the fees have to be paid, etc.. I haven't received the letter which explains everything yet as I live abroad

ps I "received an offer" letter which said that I don't need to send it back if I accepted the offer online but just to make sure; this letter can be completely ignored as long as I have accepted the online offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lub

Hey TK, it's a bank holiday weekend here in Ireland at the moment, so you'll probably get your letter from UL sometime next week. If they were sent on Friday evening, residents of Ireland will probably get them on Tuesday. (Hopefully!)

If you accepted online you can totally ignore that letter. That's for the unfortunate internet-less people out there... :P

Has anyone contacted the bank yet for an appointment?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply! If it helps I did contact the bank and they shut me down because I'm british! Lol. Actually they said it's because I need to hold an Irish bank account for a year before a loan is issued :(

Lub wrote: »
    Hey TK, it's a bank holiday weekend here in Ireland at the moment, so you'll probably get your letter from UL sometime next week. If they were sent on Friday evening, residents of Ireland will probably get them on Tuesday. (Hopefully!)

If you accepted online you can totally ignore that letter. That's for the unfortunate internet-less people out there... :P

Has anyone contacted the bank yet for an appointment?

I've booked an appointment for early next week. I contacted grainne.haugh@ulsterbank.com and she very quickly set up an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 R.Hunter

Rainbow,

How did you get on with Ulsterbank? I've been to AIB but their rates seem ridiculous.. Paying back over double what I would be borrowing.... Is this the case everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Durf

tk09aag wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply! If it helps I did contact the bank and they shut me down because I'm british! Lol. Actually they said it's because I need to hold an Irish bank account for a year before a loan is issued :(

Does that mean you will have to wait a year or have you another avenue?

R.Hunter wrote: »
    Rainbow,

How did you get on with Ulsterbank? I've been to AIB but their rates seem ridiculous.. Paying back over double what I would be borrowing.... Is this the case everywhere?

Hi Hunter,

I actually had to reschedule my appointment and will hopefully be going in this week. However I got the following information from the facebook page:

"UL Ulster Bank 60k tuition loan
    no guarantor required
    4% fixed interest rate on borrowings until you graduate
    variable rate after graduation depending on the market (currently 6.5%)
    using these % rates that's approx. e550 per month for 14 years
    applicants must have irish banking history
    can choose to apply for loan facilities for the first time in later years provided UB is still offering facilities to 1st year UL GEM students"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Anyone know what the lecture schedules generally are for first year? What kinda hours per week are we in for?

TGJD wrote: »
    Anyone know what the lecture schedules generally are for first year? What kinda hours per week are we in for?

I've attached a provisional timetable I got from the course brochure (available online) to give you an idea.

If you're on facebook, why don't you join the page that has been setup? A lot of the class have joined and it is a lot more active than this thread. There are also members who are from the years above and have been nothing but helpful.

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    I've attached a provisional timetable I got from the course brochure (available online) to give you an idea.

If you're on facebook, why don't you join the page that has been setup? A lot of the class have joined and it is a lot more active than this thread. There are also members who are from the years above and have been nothing but helpful.

Thanks so much for that. I'm not on facebook but am considering it just for this now. Worth it? Any idea where everyone is living? Im looking for somewhere decent with other people around my age. Couldnt be dealing with actual first years when needing to study a lot.

Thanks so much for that. I'm not on facebook but am considering it just for this now. Worth it? Any idea where everyone is living? Im looking for somewhere decent with other people around my age. Couldnt be dealing with actual first years when needing to study a lot.

I only opened a facebook account to join the page :p

I think it is really worth it. They have even put a schedule for orientation week and they have a link with PDFs for core book we will need during the year (Just to name a few of the perks).

There is a mixture of people living off & on campus, but I think most of the residences for GEMs have filled up. Don't worry though, there are people still looking for accomodation and/or housemates on the facebook page. So if it suits you to live with fellow GEMs, it'd be worth joining the page :pac:

I only opened a facebook account to join the page :p

I think it is really worth it. They have even put a schedule for orientation week and they have a link with PDFs for core book we will need during the year (Just to name a few of the perks).

There is a mixture of people living off & on campus, but I think most of the residences for GEMs have filled up. Don't worry though, there are people still looking for accomodation and/or housemates on the facebook page. So if it suits you to live with fellow GEMs, it'd be worth joining the page :pac:

Thanks! I may need to bite the bullet and do it just for that so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

steer well clear of UL if you have any idea what's good for you guys.

Why?

What are you basing this on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

the course is a farce.

Do we need to get proof of acceptance from the college to give to the bank, or just use the CAO form of acceptance?

• Advertisement

Do we need to get proof of acceptance from the college to give to the bank, or just use the CAO form of acceptance?

Hi Lub!

I used the offer letter we got from CAO. Either the offer letter/acceptance letter will do.

Hi Lub!

I used the offer letter we got from CAO. Either the offer letter/acceptance letter will do.
    Thanks Rainbow. :) How did you get on with UB?

I used the email they sent out about orientation, with the student number on it.

Thanks Rainbow. :) How did you get on with UB?

All in all, it took about 4 days from filling out all the paper work to the loan getting approved! I just have to sign some papers and then wait until fees are due (I think:confused::rolleyes:).

All in all, it took about 4 days from filling out all the paper work to the loan getting approved! I just have to sign some papers and then wait until fees are due (I think:confused::rolleyes:).

Same with me. All sorted now with boi and good to go. Roll on september. Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting started.

Anyone get the orientation pack yet and the fee details?

Anyone get the orientation pack yet and the fee details?

Nope nothing yet :rolleyes:

Nope nothing yet :rolleyes:

I figured. Just seemed weird to me how close it is to start of term and no garda vetting, vaccination info etc.

I figured. Just seemed weird to me how close it is to start of term and no garda vetting, vaccination info etc.

I think because the GEM class are only a small portion of the university population, the info pack will be sent out with the packs for school leavers. The Garda vetting will be sorted out during the orientation week (on the Facebook page there is a timetable up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Not sure if this will help, but I'm going in to a graduate diploma and I got my orientation pack today so you guys might also get them in the next few days.

Advertisement