Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Your Veg*ns (Pictures and info!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I noticed that there were quite a few veggie guitar players knocking about this forum so I thought I'd join the ranks!

picture.php?albumid=2027&pictureid=12124

My name's Luke; I'm a twenty-year-old student living in Dublin, and I'm quite a recent convert to vegetarianism (5 months to be precise). I've found the conversion to be immensely satisfying, both in terms of easing my moral and ethical conscience and my in improving my lifestyle also. I effectively eliminated all meat forms from my diet around a year ago, but I had a much tougher time shirking the seafood. It was a triptych of browsing/lurking on this forum, the Alec Baldwin-narrated 'Meet Your Meat' infomercial, and general self-reflection that finally inspired me to take the plunge and I can happily say that the water is very warm indeed. My cooking skills have developed in leaps and bounds and I've exposed my palate to a huge range of foodstuffs that I would have ignored only months ago. I thoroughly enjoy leafing through all the threads on this forum and gleaming useful tidbits; be it a delicious looking recipe, bargain alerts or products that I hadn't come across previously and I hope that I have a lot to contribute myself in the future!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Welcome Luke, great post. Hope you keep enjoying it here!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 skylarkza

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking on this thread for about a month, signed up to boards a few days ago and am finally getting around to saying hi.

Long term vegetarian (over a decade now) from Cape Town. Currently living in Dublin. Have experienced both the wonders and horrors - for s vegetarian - of living in Japan for 2 years (and no, Japan, bacon is not and never will be a seasoning and yes, fish IS meat). I have also done a stint as a mostly raw food vegan for a few months - which was amazing, but alas, now I lack equipment and time for all the meal planning and long term prep that requires.

I am endeavouring to include more vegan cooking in my own meal prep, but am remaining vegetarian "socially", as going out with carnivorous friends is VERY difficult otherwise and I think himself's family would have even more mild panic attacks at family dinners than they do already (first time they met me was at Christmas dinner, and they were quite concerned about the menu).

At the moment I am trying to cook more and to cook tasty noms that omnivore boyfriend enjoys too.

Enough on the food front, I am also a huge gaming geek of the non-computer variety and love crafting. Glad to finally say hi to all you folk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Welcome skylarkza, hope you enjoy your stay! Tabletop games?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 skylarkza

Welcome skylarkza, hope you enjoy your stay! Tabletop games?

Thanks Tar! Yip. Both RP games and boardgames. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Hi all!

My name's Ben, I'm in my early 30s and work in IT for a government department (but don't tell After Hours that!) living in Kildare with my girlfriend and 2 cats. I'm a very recent convert to vegetarianism - it was something that had been niggling at me for a while. There are the animal welfare and health implications of eating meat (and I ate a LOT of meat), but I also feel the rate at which we consume meat is unsustainable from an environmental standpoint. It just sits better with my conscience, and it's also forced me to try different foods I wouldn't have tried otherwise and it decreases my intake of heavily processed ready meals etc. My omnivorous girlfriend has been supportive too :) So its win-win, until the next time I visit a meat and fish loving country such as Portugal! I haven't gone vegan, and not sure if I could either, but I totally respect those who do.

I also enjoy hiking, gaming on my Xbox, all the usual stuff. I play at being a moderator here on Boards too - in fact when I want to find out about a subject, I usually find that there is a forum for it here, so why should this be any different! Just wanted to say hi really, I've a lot to learn and hopefully I can make a contribution every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

wheew i've been absent from boards for a looong time, any idea of a cork veggie mashup? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

also roguetrader? Last RP I played, absolutely awesome, love the warhammer universe...well not love, but I appreciate the brutal violent honesty in the manner in which they attack one another....well rogue traders aren't so much honest...but anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Hello all.

Am a 20 year old male in college in galway. Studying engineering :).

I have been a vegetarian for the grand total of *Drum roll* 12 hours :o

So i guess that makes me the baby here. Looking forward to where this vegetarian thing will take me.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ChoiChoi

Hey guys so I'm not sure if people are still doing this or if the once steady flow of new veggies has just dried up but sure why not.

I'm Shane, and I'm 23 from fairview in dublin. Been vegetarian for almost a year, vegan for almost a month.
    I enjoy da musiks, both da lisnin and da making of. My favourite genre is electronic but I love everything from rock to hip hop and blah blargh...
    I'm also into fitness, and love cycling and weight lifting.

This is a pic of me and my buddy in Niagara Falls last summer (I'm on the left), tremenjious times had by all. Incidentally he promised to go vegetarian too if I could stick it out a year, and I'm nearly at the year mark now so I think he's quaking in his boots a bit haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I've been posting here for a while but don't think I ever introduced myself. My real name is Harriet and my username is a reference to a joke me and my friend had which isn't really funny anymore but I'm too poor to become a subscriber. :P

I'm a student in a course I'm coming to hate but will finish anyway. The dreams writing and the desired day job is still being figured out. I'm starting thinking I'd like to be a piercer which of course is also hard to get into.

Hobbies are reading and writing and I guess just spending too much time on the internet. :o

After some setbacks went vegetarian in January and been vegan since Monday. :P Feel like it's the best thing I've done because although I did it for ethical reasons I feel I'm much healthier now and I've discovered a passion for cooking and food I never knew I had. Every now and then I think studying hotel and catering isn't a waste and I might open a veg*n restaurant but then I realise I'm being ridiculous. :p

This is a picture of me from my twenty first last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 liz1991

Hello :D

I'm Liz, I'm 22, from Dublin and currently taking a year out of college (in London studying music). At home in Dublin at the mo. Vegan since age 13 and vegetarian since a year before that. Inconveniently allergic to soya beans.

Used to post here as -lala-, but have been gone for a while.

My favourite vegetables are asparagus, broccoli, turnip, okra and courgettes (in no particular order), and I enjoy vegan baking and eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

So.....I'm back (re-regged but posted here once a long time ago!) I've been a vegetarian since I was 9, so that's 18 years now - fck that makes me feel old! For the last few years I haven't eaten dairy either but I wasn't too strict about it if they were ingredients in something so I never called myself a vegan. In the last year though, I've ruled them out completely, so I guess I'm a vegan now!

I never turned veggie for moral reasons, much as I'd love to say that was the case. I simply can't stand the thought of eating something that was alive/bloody etc. It makes me feel ill! It was actually the sight of a bloody steak when I was 9 that turned me veggie in the first place.

Looking forward to following this forum again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Hello belljar, welcome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭freethink3r

Hello :D

I'm Mary. I'm 23. I've been a vegan for about a year now, and a vegetarian since I was 17. I'm studying Irish at the moment and hoping to get into primary teaching once mo chuid Gaeilge is good enough. I have three cats called Henry, Norman and Minnie that I adore. No brothers or sisters. Love yoga. My favourite foods are chocolate, sweet potatoes, pinto beans, quinoa, spinach and oatmeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Hi everybody,

I've been meaning to introduce myself for ages now, have kept putting it off cause of exams and stuff I guess. Anyway I'm Aaron and have just recently turned vegan, after nineish years of vegitarianism. I'm 20 and Hmmm I study in Dublin, I like hiking and walking my dog and going to the gym to lift things up and put them down again repeatedly. I like punk music and reading and I'm a wannabe surgeon. I recently took a way bigger interest in nutrition and health and stuff, which in turn lead to me to going vegan I guess.

So far it's been great, I think it's going to be difficult at first not eating garbage food like milk chocolate but I'm guessing the craving I get for them sometimes will just subside overtime as I wean off them (much like the thought of eating meat all these years has been totally unappetising). And I'm looking forward to not craving food like that anyway. As people have said before on this thread I've started enjoying preparing food and trying more and more types of food. I feel much more confident about diet too now, I used to hate whenever I ate out and somebody would ask if I were vegetarian and dreaded being asked why. I'm still not proclaiming my veganism :p But don't feel embarrassed if people ask why I don't have milk or cheese in things you normally would have or whatever.

Hmm that's all I have for now, I've been reading forever but rarely post, hopefully more now though. I'll post a pic when I'm on a computer I guess (maybe :pac:).

Hi fewtins, try some dark chocolate or there's a good few places with chocolate made from rice/coconut milk if you really don't like dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

fewtins wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I've been meaning to introduce myself for ages now, have kept putting it off cause of exams and stuff I guess. Anyway I'm Aaron and have just recently turned vegan, after nineish years of vegitarianism. I'm 20 and Hmmm I study in Dublin, I like hiking and walking my dog and going to the gym to lift things up and put them down again repeatedly. I like punk music and reading and I'm a wannabe surgeon. I recently took a way bigger interest in nutrition and health and stuff, which in turn lead to me to going vegan I guess.

So far it's been great, I think it's going to be difficult at first not eating garbage food like milk chocolate but I'm guessing the craving I get for them sometimes will just subside overtime as I wean off them (much like the thought of eating meat all these years has been totally unappetising). And I'm looking forward to not craving food like that anyway. As people have said before on this thread I've started enjoying preparing food and trying more and more types of food. I feel much more confident about diet too now, I used to hate whenever I ate out and somebody would ask if I were vegetarian and dreaded being asked why. I'm still not proclaiming my veganism :p But don't feel embarrassed if people ask why I don't have milk or cheese in things you normally would have or whatever.

Hmm that's all I have for now, I've been reading forever but rarely post, hopefully more now though. I'll post a pic when I'm on a computer I guess (maybe :pac:).

Hi, wow vegan and a future surgeon! That medical field really supports veganism, so if people ask you about it, coming from you, you probably wont need to be embarrassed. But I'm the same, depends on who's asking, if I know they're just going to think I'm out of my mind I'll just brush it off, for my own sanity haha.

The cravings do wear off I think, I wasn't much of a chocolate fiend before but I never crave a bar of chocolate now. If I really felt like chocolate then I'd just have some dark choc, usually have that in the fridge forever coz you don't tend to eat much of that at a time. But if you're in Dublin, Down to Earth on Georges st has lovely bars like the 'organica' bars.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Hi fewtins, try some dark chocolate or there's a good few places with chocolate made from rice/coconut milk if you really don't like dark.
    --LOS-- wrote: »
    Hi, wow vegan and a future surgeon! That medical field really supports veganism, so if people ask you about it, coming from you, you probably wont need to be embarrassed. But I'm the same, depends on who's asking, if I know they're just going to think I'm out of my mind I'll just brush it off, for my own sanity haha.

The cravings do wear off I think, I wasn't much of a chocolate fiend before but I never crave a bar of chocolate now. If I really felt like chocolate then I'd just have some dark choc, usually have that in the fridge forever coz you don't tend to eat much of that at a time. But if you're in Dublin, Down to Earth on Georges st has lovely bars like the 'organica' bars.

Thanks guys, I'd say I'm probably finding it a bit harder cause I seem to have unconsciously tried to stop eating all dairy and egg products as well as crappy junk food that is vegan at the same time.

I always assumed that dark chocolate actually had some milk in it anyway, I didn't realise the only reason most dark chocolate isn't vegan is because it's usually made on the same production lines as milk chocolate. I noticed actually that the new 'free from' shelves popping up in supermarkets these days sometimes have dark chocolate advertised as being vegan which is handy to know I guess.

I'm moved back home until September again now and work most days so will probably miss a lot of the Asian veg shops and niche places Dublin has but supermarkets aren't bad these days really. Oh yes and the only raw vegan caf outside of Dublin is in my town :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Hey everyone :)

I've been reading this forum for ages at this stage, I never thought to post in here!

I'm Rebecca, I'm 21 and studying in Dublin. I'm coming up to my two year vegetarianversary :) wow that looks silly.. :o

Anyway, I gave up meat for a few reasons. One was that my diet was really unhealthy and giving up meat would force me to eat healthier and 'cleaner'. But the main reason was that I saw one of those well known videos, not Earthlings, but one like that, and I just couldn't do it anymore. I also felt like a hypocrite for not eating lamb because they're ickle and cute, when I'd happily eat other forms of meat.

It's mostly been going very well, I'm happy to say! Eating out and staying over at my boyfriend's house are the most difficult aspects of it. His poor mother doesn't have a clue what to do with me :p My own mother was really good about it, she didn't complain about having to cook modified/separate meals for me at all, which is great, as she's a fabulous cook :D

Anyway I really enjoy this part of the forum, I have very few friends or family who are veggie or vegan, so it'll be nice to chat to people who understand :o I'm in the middle of my last ever undergraduate exams, so if I don't return for a while, it's because I'm not procrastinating ;)

• Advertisement

Welcome gunslinger!

Hi Rebecca, welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum Rebecca!

I thought I'd do an updated one :o

Hi everyone,

when I first posted here I was transitioning to vegetarianism, still eating fish. So I'm sure you could find lots of questionable posts from me, but I am capable of changing my mind like anyone, so I've been vegetarian for a few years, and I'm a noob vegan now for just over a year, and that's partly because of what I've learned on here and seeing lots more vegans around here.

I initially started cutting back on meat because of awareness about animal diseases probably, I just kinda thought this is wrong, why are we consuming animals that have diseases that transmit to humans. That's quite a risk to be taking. The cost factored in too, it was cheaper not to eat meat, so when I moved out at 17 being on a student budget, I ate less and less of it. I also avoided things like harsh chemicals, for the same kind of health reasons. So it was healthier and cheaper and that suited me. I gradually started to understand the moral and ethical implications of consuming animals so I cut back more and more. It took me a while to really understand what happens in the dairy and egg industry, when I did, I went vegan. So my reasons are now different to the reasons that I initially started out with. That's my very normal, boring story.

Otherwise, I am 26, studying astronomy/astrophysics in Amsterdam at the moment.

And this is what a vegan looks like :P

c1ER3l4.jpg

studying astronomy? awesome!

That's cool Los! I studied a year of physics and astrophysics at university myself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

That's so cool! :D my brain wouldn't be able for that at all :pac:

Ah it's not that cool when you spend 2 full days working on one small mathematical question. You give us too much credit gunslinger, there is no doubt it is hard, but I can tell ye every single one of us on my masters course is finding it hard.

That's what I did for my undergrad fewtins, physics with astronomy at dcu :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mrrrrrow

Hi there. :)

I've been vegetarian for just over 10 years. I started while I was in school for a few reasons. The first reason was that in a biology class we had to dissect frogs. Not that I ate loads of frogs, but they're animals, and I found the practice to be grisly and sickening, and after that point truly began to think about what I was eating and how it got to my plate. The second reason was because in another class in school, we were assigned a project where we were supposed to make a change in our lives and write about it throughout the school year. I picked becoming a vegetarian as my project. I found that it was a very easy transition and that I didn't miss meat at all, so it's stuck all these years. It's never really crossed my mind to start eating meat again. I wouldn't even know how to prepare it, haha.

Other than that- confession!- I'm American and live in Kentucky. My husband is Irish (from Limerick) and I've visited many many times. We're hoping to move to Ireland (Dublin specifically) in a year or two, as soon as we can afford it. Having spent a lot of time in Limerick, I know there's not much vegetarian culture there (I remember once excitedly ordering a veggie burger in the Chicken Hut in Limerick and being crushed to just get some lettuce on a bun, no joke) so I'm a little nervous about the move. Hoping to quell my fears a little by meeting some other vegetarians. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Mrrrrrow wrote: »
    I remember once excitedly ordering a veggie burger in the Chicken Hut in Limerick and being crushed to just get some lettuce on a bun, no joke

sorry but that made me laugh, it's so "Irish" :D

welcome to here, and best of luck with your move. Things are slowly changing here, not so long ago being vegan was slightly less worse than having ebola but thankfully things are improving. This forum along with several facebook groups are good resources for finding places to eat out, go shopping, etc., so any questions or help you might need, feel free to ask.

Advertisement