Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rock & Metal Pubs and Clubs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

The newly decorated Bruxelles is complete now. The bar has been moved to the back wall and on each side are table booths. Gone is the Black goth-tinged decor and in is a worn wood panel decor. The jukebox has been reinstated too and overall it's pretty tidy but not too enamored by the table booth layout as it makes floorspace more confined when the bar is busy. The jacks have also been improved as they moved the cubicle so it's much bigger now.

Also of note is the prices have dropped too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Passenger wrote: »
    The newly decorated Bruxelles is complete now. The bar has been moved to the back wall and on each side are table booths. Gone is the Black goth-tinged decor and in is a worn wood panel decor. The jukebox has been reinstated too and overall it's pretty tidy but not too enamored by the table booth layout as it makes floorspace more confined when the bar is busy. The jacks have also been improved as they moved the cubicle so it's much bigger now.

Yeah I was there the other night actually.
    €5 a pint is not so bad after 11, it used to be more expensive. Although O'Hara's was 6.60...

Not a fan of the new decor at all, looks more like a coffee shop than a rock bar with the wooden booths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Have they retained the same dj's?

Have they retained the same dj's?

Most of them anyway.

Most of them anyway.

UGH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They've put it back where it's supposed to be, so?

#feelingmyage

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Was in it last night myself for one.

I hate the new decor.

And craft beer menus littered around the place?

GTFO.

It reminded me of the Simpsons episode when Moe revamps.

The bar flys lamenting about him removing the dank as that's what made it.

Exactly the same with the new old look.

Plus it's too bright by far.

2 thumbs down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Was in Bruxelles meself last night decent I thought that's it, bar is prob in a better spot, they took out pool table and didn't c a jukebox, decor scandalous with the lighting it used to be prob too dark sometimes so can't win with it, you'd lob some money over the counter for pints but they do have a decent selection (O'Haras,Sierra Nevada,Trooper Ale,Chimay;to name a few). D.J's prob from same list this time round was the lad from Primordial enjoyable enough but tunes past '94 or so forget about it!

Madness if they're gonna persist with that lighting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Was in there last saturday for the first time in id say well over a year. I like the new downstairs bar and with pints only €5 which is great to see. Although the middle bar is not as cheap .

Also they played Steel Panther " Asian Hooker " which made me very happy. Pity i had to leave early at 1:30 because a friend was too tired :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

Was in the Gypsy Rose recently - first time in a while ... €6 A PINT !!!! ... WTF ? ... last time I was there it was ALL drinks €4 regardless ... needless to say , I'll give it a miss from now on.

The thread front page needs a few tweaks/additions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm not a fan of punk, but The Thomas House is one of my favourite rock bars in Dublin. It's not always playing Punk either, there's a lot of random stuff played at different times and the vibe of the place is class. Craft beers on tap and in bottles too, which suits me.

Gypsy is an awful kip these days

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of punk, but The Thomas House is one of my favourite rock bars in Dublin. It's not always playing Punk either, there's a lot of random stuff played at different times and the vibe of the place is class. Craft beers on tap and in bottles too, which suits me.

I hear the TH has extended late opening hours on weekends now too. Surprised it doesn't get as much traffic as other Rock bars and they certainly do have a decent selection of craft beers.

• Advertisement

I hear the TH has extended late opening hours on weekends now too. Surprised it doesn't get as much traffic as other Rock bars and they certainly do have a decent selection of craft beers.
    Didnt even know it was a rock bar tbh

Didnt even know it was a rock bar tbh

Aye, it would be categorised as such but it leans more toward the punk/ska/alternative side of things though.

There's an 80's Goth night once a month which I try make it in for. There's also some older chilled out punk stuff playing during the day which in don't even mind, even though I'm not a punk fan. They have a night where the DJs only spin vinyl and that can be totally random.

They play loose with the music which I like a lot. It's very unpretentious. Considering there are rockabillies drinking there! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

There's a small stage downstairs too. Have only been to one gig (Warpath / Killface) AGES ago. But it had Nick Oliveri play there recently.

https://www.facebook.com/thomashousedublin/events

But does seem to be mostly punk / ska. Which I can't stand.

Aye, it would be categorised as such but it leans more toward the punk/ska/alternative side of things though.
    There's an 80's Goth night once a month which I try make it in for. There's also some older chilled out punk stuff playing during the day which in don't even mind, even though I'm not a punk fan. They have a night where the DJs only spin vinyl and that can be totally random.

They play loose with the music which I like a lot. It's very unpretentious. Considering there are rockabillies drinking there! ;)

Might have to give this a looksee so.
    Is the goth night Dominion? That closed a while ago?

• Advertisement

They have loads of comics lying around and even do, or did haircuts on Saturdays. I love that they try new things all the time, anyway. I live a bit closer to there now, so I'm looking forward to being there a bit more.

I'm enjoying drinking in Fibbers in the afternoon the odd time, of late. Just not into the night time. The beer garden juke box has some real crap on it, that seems to get played, though.

Might have to give this a looksee so.
    Is the goth night Dominion? That closed a while ago?

No, that's kinda the people that are now Revolution, who move around the city. They've been in Fibbers, Voodoo and had a well received night in Gypsy Rose on Saturday from what I hear.

Intermission once a month in the TH would have some of the same guest DJs and drinkers. There's less of the dancy techno Goth music at that which I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cheapy2006

Bruxelles, an over-priced **** hole full of posers and ****!!

cheapy2006 wrote: »
    Bruxelles, an over-priced **** hole full of posers and ****!!

Riiiiight :rolleyes:

Riiiiight :rolleyes:

He's right though

Bruxelles is one place I just never go. Used to love it during the day when it wasn't busy, but I never liked the vibe off people at night.

Granted, it's been years, so it's due a visit soon.

He's right though

Clearly.
    5 euro for a pint of snakebite is actually not a ripoff in that area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Clearly.
    5 euro for a pint of snakebite is actually not a ripoff in that area...

It might be, but you gotta find someone who'd actually drink a pint of snakebite in the first place :pac:

It's no more expensive than any other city center pub tbh. €5 pints is the same as Fibbers and Gypsy Rose.

Links234 wrote: »
    It might be, but you gotta find someone who'd actually drink a pint of snakebite in the first place :pac:

LOL yeah I drink it occasionally, especially when o'hara's is 6.60

• Advertisement

That's a bit much considering you can get the same thing in Aldi :eek:

Yeah - I always like to try craft beers when they have a menu etc but when its over a fiver for a 330ml bottle you don't get more than one!

Depends on the beer though, doesn't it? That little 330ml bottle could be way stronger than something else

Links234 wrote: »
    Depends on the beer though, doesn't it? That little 330ml bottle could be way stronger than something else

It does, there was a 9% one for instance.
    Still feel cheated at those prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Are there any good rock/metal clubs in the south east? I thought Carlow would have something

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Are there any good rock/metal clubs in the south east? I thought Carlow would have something

Unless somebody local from the southeast can confirm but as far as I know there are only 24/7 dedicated rock bars in Dublin (Fibber Magee's, Bruxelles, Gypsy Rose) and Cork (Fred Zeppelins). There may be other bars in Galway, Belfast etc. that do Rock/Metal gigs or one-off events but in terms of full time Rock/Metal pubs that's it.

Bruxelles would be fine if it wasn't occupied by complete bellends

Not a sweeping generalisation, it's just got more cliquey, arseholey twats than most places

Bruxelles would be fine if it wasn't occupied by complete bellends

Not a sweeping generalisation, it's just got more cliquey, arseholey twats than most places

Jeez man. Is there any bar that you do like? You were complaining about Gypsy Rose and Fibbers not long ago too. :pac:

Jeez man. Is there any bar that you do like? You were complaining about Gypsy Rose and Fibbers not long ago too. :pac:

lol! I'm just a grumpy fecker :)

I actually like fibbers!

• Advertisement

Fibber's Pint and Pizza for a tenner deal is great.They are frozen pizzas, but they're actually real nice. Their Guinness is great too.

The Thomas House are doing a haircut and beer for €15 on Saturdays which is also a great deal. Their Guinness is one of the best in Dublin.

For 25 bricks you could be sheared, fed and watered on Saturday. Not bad ;)

Fibber's Pint and Pizza for a tenner deal is great.They are frozen pizzas, but they're actually real nice. Their Guinness is great too.

Couldn't disagree more. As a fervent stout/porter drinker, it's sewer water tbh.

The Thomas House are doing a haircut and beer for €15 on Saturdays which is also a great deal. Their Guinness is one of the best in Dublin.

For 25 bricks you could be sheared, fed and watered on Saturday. Not bad ;)

Aye, something different I suppose. They have plenty of craft brews there too.

Maybe I've just had so many bad Guinness's that Fibbers seems grand to me. Still nowhere near on par to TH Guinness. Although they sometimes do Shepherd Name double stout in bottles which would make me forget our very own black stuff in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Was in Dublin last week for the Prong Gig in the Voodoo lounge.1st time there only issue was actually finding the entrance lol.Prong were brillant. We had a few pints in Gypsy Rose beforehand again a 1st the barman there was sound out.The following night i dragged herself to a gig in downstairs Fibber Magees
    she had a Coors which was rotten i had a Guinness no problem there went to change the Coors pint was accused of looking for a free pint the young lad behind the bar said he was afraid of losing his job.The pint was changed eventually.The Music which i went to hear was very good by the way.Overall a highly enjoyable 2 nights in rock bars and gigs in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Not sure if this is in the right thread or not but can anyone advise where to go for pre-gig pints in Belfast on Friday evening before/after Carcass in the Limelight? Preferably near enough as I don't know Belfast and will be on my own.

Not sure if this is in the right thread or not but can anyone advise where to go for pre-gig pints in Belfast on Friday evening before/after Carcass in the Limelight? Preferably near enough as I don't know Belfast and will be on my own.

The Voodoo or Laverys should do; Both bout just over 10 mins walk to the Limelight from different directions.

• Advertisement

Voodoo is a cool spot, alright.

Bruxelles makeover is truly abhorrent

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

yeah voodoo is good and laverys.Katy Dalys is next door to limelight , part of same venue really-good jukebox and should be plenty of heads about for the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 3 159753

i dunno how up to date the first post is but is there anything, in or around dundalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 morgan 76

the grand central in Manchester is a great rock bar & the crobar in soho London also both open late

• Advertisement
Advertisement