Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmoderated forums? Your thoughts.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Ill informed ? I know first hand what happened. Dav had it all spot on.

Of course you do and of course he did, enjoy your evening now.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Well, I'd say some of their posts did come across as pathetic, there's always the odd few, baldly put. The Thunderdome was hardly unmoderated though, fact is, it was quite strictly moderated, the rules were just a bit different to regular forums. The mods and the posters had to have a give and take - it takes two to tango, much as I despise the tango.

The fact it was moderated is what made it repetitive. There's only so many ways you can just insult someone without digging up some personal information which is what led to all the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

The fact it was moderated is what made it repetitive. There's only so many many you can just insult someone without digging up some personal information which is what led to all the trouble.

You'll need to clarify this part for me to formulate a coherent reply. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Look how /b/ turned out ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Look how /b/ turned out ..

Sweet jaysus NO

• Advertisement

You'll need to clarify this part for me to formulate a coherent reply. Thanks.

So many ways. That's what's called a typo. Don't be obtuse now.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I'm sure they're all crying their eyes out when they compare their offerings to the pure gold you dish out here.

Missed this.

Well given they spent most of their time in there calling each other and what everyone else posted stupid and pathetic. I'd say they probably agree with me.

So many ways. That's what's called a typo. Don't be obtuse now.

I was just trying to make out what you were on about with that post. I find myself doing that a lot. Old age I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: This thread isn't about the Thunderdome. The last post by Dav in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057074227
    explains the whole situation. Let's not start that discussion again. Get back on topic please.

To get back on topic I don't think anywhere without moderation would be a good idea unless you have some sort of system like on reddit with downvotes where stuff that crossed the line could be dealt with by the community.

If you let people just post whatever they wanted in this format you'd just have chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Mod: This thread isn't about the Thunderdome. The last post by Dav in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057074227
    explains the whole situation. Let's not start that discussion again. Get back on topic please.

So, we're "beyond the thunderdome" so :cool:

History is great, it's like "Reeling in the Years", Boards style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Only ever posted on one unmoderated forum. Actually, technically there were moderators, but all they did really from what I could tell was move spam into a particular forum on there so it was all in the one place so other threads didn't get clogged up with it, and respond to general site queries that people would post in random threads. More like street sweepers than cops I guess. The whole ethos of the site was very pro free speech, there was never anything particularly unpleasant or anything like that surprisingly enough. Very occasionally some new poster would show up or someone would lose the run of themselves and start insulting or threatening people or acting the pup in some other way, and no one would respond in any way to them from that point on, and they'd stop posting, or at least stop posting in that manner, then people would start responding again once they knocked off the crap.

Seemed to all run pretty smoothly in terms of people being civil to each other and staying on topic and such like, much more so than most moderated forums I've been on. Fairly busy forum too. Odd. Just a different vibe that permeated it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Needs more Flutterinbantam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Needs more Flutterinbantam.

Is that some sort of infection? :confused:

The dome was a pathetic place as is the new rats nest they built when they were all ran out of here. Same people just hurling stupid repetitive insults at each other then insulting each other for hurling the same repetitive insults at each other over and over.

The only break outside the pathetic repetitive insults were attempts to find out personal information about each other to really drive the pathetic repetitive insults home which inevitably let to bullying on and outside of boards.

Oh the irony :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I'm a mod on a very active unmoderated forum. There are the usual trolls and thread derailments but for the most part the community thrives. Some of the mods here treat their respective forums like a kingdom where anyone who expresses even a differing opinion get infracted or worse. So yeah, I'd be up for an unmoderated sub. Let's call it MCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Can't deny I'd like here to be less moderated sometimes so you could say what you really want to say to some people without circumvention but it would obviously be a shambles overall for that very reason.

The one forum on the site that did have relaxed moderation didn't exactly work out well i the end.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Oh the irony :rolleyes:

I see the use of repetition to highlight the monotonousness of repetition has gone over your head.

I see the use of repetition to highlight the monotonousness of repetition has gone over your head.

Not at all

I just enjoy pointing out flaws in idiotic posts, one gets the feeling you were hurt once before in the old place and it's played on your mind since. Either way never mind, it was never "unmoderated" so it's a moot point.

• Advertisement

Not at all

I just enjoy pointing out flaws in idiotic posts, one gets the feeling you were hurt once before in the old place and it's played on your mind since. Either way never mind, it was never "unmoderated" so it's a moot point.

If it didn't go over your head then how were you pointing out a flaw ? One gets the impression you don't have much of a grasp on whatever it is you think your saying.

I was never "hurt" in the old place nor do I care much about it. Someone else brought it up and I posted a joking response which seemed to sting a few people. This thread isn't about it anyway and there's a mod warning to stay on topic. I'd suggest you do that instead of trying to defend your old haunt with your mangled logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

If it didn't go over your head then how were you pointing out a flaw ? One gets the impression you don't have much of a grasp on whatever it is you think your saying.

I was never "hurt" in the old place nor do I care much about it. Someone else brought it up and I posted a joking response which seemed to sting a few people. This thread isn't about it anyway and there's a mod warning to stay on topic. I'd suggest you do that instead of trying to defend your old haunt with your mangled logic.
    Not at all

Now do you see why we can't have nice things?

Now do you see why we can't have nice things?

We have sunshine and lollipops forum.......that's nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

endacl wrote: »
    4chan>>>

4chan is still a bit more civil than youtube comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm a mod on a very active unmoderated forum. There are the usual trolls and thread derailments but for the most part the community thrives. Some of the mods here treat their respective forums like a kingdom where anyone who expresses even a differing opinion get infracted or worse. So yeah, I'd be up for an unmoderated sub. Let's call it MCD

Wait, what? :eek:

Handiest job in the world.

Sorry, should have clarified! This is a forum with a number of subs (resource sharing, advice, photography) and I do a fair amount of housework around those sections. The main discussion forum is entirely unmoderated though.

Sorry, should have clarified! This is a forum with a number of subs (resource sharing, advice, photography) and I do a fair amount of housework around those sections. The main discussion forum is entirely unmoderated though.

Is this on reddit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Other forums don't have to deal with Chemical Burn rereging every 15 minutes :p :pac:

• Advertisement

Is this on reddit ?

Does Reddit even have mods?

Advertisement