Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmoderated forums? Your thoughts.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The thunderdome was probably the most unmoderated and look what happened there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They tried that with The Thunderdome but it turned into a mess and got shut down.

It just moved elsewhere ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

Everything in moderation

I've heard talk of people being stalked onto FB and Twit and then back to Thunderdome - sounds a bit like the Hunger Games

Really?

All scurrilous accusations, none of them true.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Unmodded forums have their place on the internet. And that place is not here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I think it would just go bad, quickly. Too many weird people, myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They tried that with The Thunderdome but it turned into a mess and got shut down.

Amazing how the new one is going great with not a hint of drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I think it would just go bad, quickly. Too many weird people, myself included.

Have to agree with you there, totally unmoderated forums would be mental. Were those teen ones where a few got mental bullying and committed suicide recently not moderated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

We have such garbage and it's called 4chan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

bumper234 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you there, totally unmoderated forums would be mental. Were those teen ones where a few got mental bullying and committed suicide recently not moderated?

Are you talking about ask.fm (the yoke where you could ask questions anonymously)? That has (or used to have, haven't seen it in ages tbh) no pre-moderation AFAIK, you could report a question if it offended you or whatever but that's fairly useless because at that stage the damage is already done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The result would be an unusable forum completely filled with spam, shilling, trolls and cr@p.
    Mostly spam.

Be careful what you wish for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

e_e wrote: »
    We have such garbage and it's called 4chan.

4chan is moderated. 90% of the content on 4chan is great and SFW. The other part is /b/, their version of AH and it's still moderated. To an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I'd like to see the Daily Mail comments section unmoderated for a day, for charity maybe

2011 wrote: »
    The result would be an unusable forum completely filled with spam, shilling, trolls and cr@p.
    Mostly spam.

Be careful what you wish for :)

I already have that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Links234 wrote: »
    I'll kill you Leonard Nimoy

Did we just become best friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

After seeing some of the abuse and name calling a particular OP got yesterday for having particular believes for himself,I certainally would want a moderated boards.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am struggling to see the advantage TBH.

You would not believe the amount of spam deleted.
    This would just increase exponentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Macavity. wrote: »
    DR is nobody's friend, only once have I ever seen a decision over turned.

Lol. Theres loads and loads of decisions overturned.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

2011 wrote: »
    I am struggling to see the advantage TBH.

You would not believe the amount of spam deleted.
    This would just increase exponentially.

I agree, although I do think this place does suffer from overmoderation at times. Probably because Boards can be held accountable for anything dodgy people post (or can it?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Lol. Theres loads and loads of drcisions overturned.

No one's genna argue are they? :)

• Advertisement

No one's genna argue are they? :)

What?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com

I love it but you can't have serious discussion - just ends up in a piss take.

Here I find you can barely have an opinion - I'd like somewhere in between.

realies wrote: »
    After seeing some of the abuse and name calling a particular OP got yesterday for having particular believes for himself,I certainally would want a moderated boards.

I presume you meant "would NOT want"

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

My ideal would be about half way between AH and an unmoderated forum. Somewhere like GameFAQs I guess. Moderation to enforce the rules, but minimal "administrative" moderation like you get here (the kind where no specific rules are being broken but threads are locked because "it's getting out of hand" - never seen the point of this, if you find a thread annoying just don't keep reading it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

The Thunderdome used to be hilarious, but then the joke became serious.
    Well I just got banned from the Android forum for helping other users...
    Sure thang. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 leBIT

endacl wrote: »
    4chan>>>

4chan has lots of mods...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Magaggie wrote: »

Sure thang. ;)

That was a WMD situation. The new Dome is drama free, much the same posters, minus a few casualties, very little moderation, no spam. Not to everyones taste, but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Was there not a joke about rape that caused a bit of a stir as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

You people are needy, you want to be dictated to. Sure you will complain about the mods, but in reality you crave the regime of it. 90% of the screaming marys on here wouldn't last 10 minutes in an unmoderated forum.

There are plenty of unmoderated forums out there that work very well, with real discussion, but would be too rough around the edges for most of you.

• Advertisement

Sure thang. ;)

Oh it still is.

That link, well lets just say don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Advertisement