Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,573 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So is hurling less popular just because it's more difficult for people to play and learn?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

awec wrote: »
    So is hurling less popular just because it's more difficult for people to play and learn?

That and you have to have no regard whatsoever for your personal safety. It's a pity there aren't more counties making a serious effort at hurling as it's simply a much better sport to watch. It's like base knuckle boxing compared to WWF.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Also, football translates to soccer more easily which is a hugely popular sport also. People see it as more accessible.

There are good skill levels on display in football but they're just not as readily obvious as they are in hurling (nor as high, in fairness). Try sprinting and soloing a ball without breaking stride and then curling it over the bar from 35m with your instep. Definitely not as easy as those guys make it look.

If you want to see skill levels on show, watch highlights of someone like Ciarán McDonald of Mayo or Maurice Fitzgerald from Kerry. When you see someone bend in a point off the outside of their boot from the sideline, 40m out you can't help but appreciate the skill involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Finally got around to buying myself a terrace ticket - went without last year but really looking forward to getting back to going to the RDS regularly!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Good article by Ronan Lyons on the housing/rent problem in Dublin in the Sindo on the weekend.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/dublin-house-price-rises-are-not-a-bubble-but-are-cause-for-concern-30478112.html
    But the underlying reason for house price rises is more obvious. The population of Dublin is growing by roughly 17,000 people a year, which translates into roughly 7,500 units a year. But over the entire three years from January 2011 to December 2013, just 4,000 new dwellings were built in the capital, about one sixth of what Dublin needed.
    We are our own best judges of where we want to live. If building is not happening now, when both prices and rents in Dublin are near their limit relative to incomes, then something has gone horribly wrong with our planning and regulatory system. Those unconvinced that regulation is at the heart of the problem would do well to consider this: the development which won the Urban Land Institute's prestigious global award for housing last year is illegal under Irish building regulations.

I was doing some quick calculations the other day and if you wanted your own place and earned
    40K in Dublin (30K after tax) you'd pay at the least 1K a month leaving 18K after tax and rent
    32K in Limerick/Cork (26K after tax) you'd pay 500-600 a month leaving 18.8K after tax and rent

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Crash wrote: »
    Finally got around to buying myself a terrace ticket - went without last year but really looking forward to getting back to going to the RDS regularly!

Nice crew of boardsies there now! ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

sullivlo wrote: »
    It's BACK. And it's GREAT.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Car has its NCT this afternoon and for some reason I'm nervous. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Does it have all 4 wheels?

• Advertisement

It does. Front tyres are my only real concern - they are due replacement soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

So it looks like my next stop is South Sudan for up to a year. Anyone know any good rugby pubs in Juba?

Just back from a bit of torture from the physio and I can now walk upright again!

Apparently, my back is so stiff that half of the vertebrae are behaving as if they're completely fused leaving the poor bastard at the bottom taking all of the stress. Left me only able to walk hunched over.

In keeping with the GAA theme, I'll be lying on my back with a sliotar under my spine every day for the foreseeable future \o/

Feel your pain, dregin. I've had a fair few lower back problems with bulging discs and pelvic issues. Not much that you don't know already, I'm sure. Stretch out your hamstrings whenever possible. Brushing your teeth? Stretch your hamstrings. Sending a text? Stretch your hamstrings. Putting a shirt on? Stretch your hamstrings. They cannot be too loose. If they're knotted up and too tight, your lower back takes more strain.

Also,try some lower back stretches. The cat/camel (on all fours and arch your back and lower it right down), knee twists while lying on your back, hip flexor stretches etc.

Pilates is your friend. Strengthen the core muscles around your back and stomach and loosen all the muscles around.

So it looks like my next stop is South Sudan for up to a year. Anyone know any good rugby pubs in Juba?

Are you on peacekeeping missions, SPR?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Buer wrote: »

Or working for GOAL? Good luck anyway! :)

Buer wrote: »
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Or working for GOAL? Good luck anyway! :)

Zzippy's a bit closer! But it's another NGO, not GOAL.

Not sure what to expect. It'll be more extreme than anywhere I've been before.

I was able to stream all the Rabo, H-Cup and Six Nations games while living in Ghana. Not so sure that's going to be possible here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Zzippy's a bit closer! But it's another NGO, not GOAL.

Not sure what to expect. It'll be more extreme than anywhere I've been before.

I was able to stream all the Rabo, H-Cup and Six Nations games while living in Ghana. Not so sure that's going to be possible here!

Any jobs going? I think I'm having a career crisis and was looking at something more meaningful

Does anyone else have Hollyoaks inflicted on them by their other halves?

My goodness it's absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

It took me three years to convince my soon-to-be wife that inflicting exposé on me for half an hour when we both got home was akin to a war crime.

Similar to a war crime, I still have PTSD when I flick onto TV3.

• Advertisement

Any jobs going? I think I'm having a career crisis and was looking at something more meaningful

Dochas.ie have a weekly newsletter in which jobs are advertised. It really depends what skills you have though. Doctors, nutritionists, agronomists, and engineers are usually sought after, as well as people with specific training in international development, economics and research.

Does anyone else have Hollyoaks inflicted on them by their other halves?

My goodness it's absolutely terrible.
    Crash wrote: »
    It took me three years to convince my soon-to-be wife that inflicting exposé on me for half an hour when we both got home was akin to a war crime.

Similar to a war crime, I still have PTSD when I flick onto TV3.

I'll see your Hollyoaks and Expose, and raise you... Living with the Kardashians. I'd rather be waterboarded after Chinese bamboo torture than have to watch that again. She knows it too... they're monsters we live with, monsters!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

My girlfriend lives in London which, while annoying a significant portion of the time, does spare me from these particular problems. I just spent the evening watching Taken.

LIVE UPDATE: It's progressed to re-runs of Sex and the City... :rolleyes:

awec - did the car pass it's Leaving Cert?

The car breezed through, no issues at all :)

I'm also inflicted with "two broke girls" or whatever its called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Podge_irl wrote: »
    My girlfriend lives in London which, while annoying a significant portion of the time, does spare me from these particular problems. I just spent the evening watching Taken.

Does this woman in London know you've appointed her as your "girlfriend"?
    Kinda like me telling everyone I was going to marry Daryl Hannah after I saw Splash
    :)

Zzippy wrote: »
    LIVE UPDATE: It's progressed to re-runs of Sex and the City... :rolleyes:

awec - did the car pass it's Leaving Cert?

I'm gonna say it: Sex and the City (strictly the TV show) was actually quite good

I'm gonna say it: Sex and the City (strictly the TV show) was actually quite good

317362.jpg

Blessed with very similar tastes in TV. Can'y stand Grey's Anatomy, which she loves, but it'a nowhere near the worst that it could be.

Gilmore Girls is a gopd middle ground for the average couple. Just sayin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Kicked up my training this week and starting a new S&C course over 6 weeks. It's a 5 day week job, so because I've very little times in the evenings as well as rugby training I've started doing it in the AM, get to the gym for 6am.

Hell, is the only word I can describe what I'm going through, hell.... Hopefully I get over the first week hump, but the super strict nutrition plan isn't helping either. I never crave junk food, but right now I could eat a smoked cod and chips, easily, for breakfast. Twice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement