Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

lil.489 wrote: »
    Hiya I am a final year female student who is looking for an off campus accommodation for myself and three other girls. We are clean, lovely, quiet girls who will spent most of our time in the library - the joys of final years.

If any one knows an house available please free to message me, as we have been searching high and low since end of May and still nothing.

Thanks

Did you check out surrounding areas? Kilcock and Enfield just a few mins away .... very do-able if you are driving and rent might be a little cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lil.489

Sadderday wrote: »
    Did you check out surrounding areas? Kilcock and Enfield just a few mins away .... very do-able if you are driving and rent might be a little cheaper!

Hiya it would be best for us 4 if we found somewhere close to campus and no none of us can drive, I have a provision but like I have nearly really learned how to drive yet. But thank you for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

For anyone stuck searching for a room, there's a group set up for students looking for accommodation and/or roommates for 2014/2015, Maynooth Accommodation 2014-15 on Facebook.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaynoothGuy

Hey guys, might as well add my name to the list.

Two male students looking for accommodation in Maynooth for the coming academic year. Hope to find a place within walking distance of the college. We don't mind leasing with others or living in an owner occupied house.

Looking for two single rooms (not twin), preferrably in the same house. We are 22 and 28, non-smokers and non-drinkers. We are quiet, friendly lads who like to keep the place clean and aren't interested in house parties. We don't play/listen to loud music.

Send me a message if anything suitable crops up. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

College really could have done with investing in some more campus accommodation with the influx of Freobel students. Sounds like an absolute disaster finding somewhere at all, nevermind half decent, and rent prices have increased substantially over the last two years. Poor planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Robqn

K4t wrote: »
    College really could have done with investing in some more campus accommodation with the influx of Freobel students. Sounds like an absolute disaster finding somewhere at all, nevermind half decent, and rent prices have increased substantially over the last two years. Poor planning.

Hardly an 'influx' of Froebel students - there are only 300 odd of us with most of the people living in Dublin and commuting. I could've counted the number of Froebel houses on my fingers last year.
    None the less i agree with the rest - rent prices are ridiculous and houses are impossible to find which is why I have to throw my hat into the ring too.

2 quiet friendly 3rd year Froebel Student Teachers looking for accomodation - own apartment is preferable but willing to share too. Can commute as we have a car but would also like to cycle i.e. Kilcock.

Long college hours and workload means we dont have time for partying etc. just looking for a nice clean house and quiet study area to come back to at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

K4t wrote: »

It'll probably eventually go up over the sports field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Cruz Colossal Saltine

There is plans for new student accommodation but I wouldn't expect it any time soon. They are too busy flying up vanity projects which we don't need rather than building infrastructure such as houses and car parks. The higher ups don't look as good in a newspaper opening a carpark as they do opening a shiny new (and mostly unnecessary) building.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Diarmuid1995

Got room for one more person, unfortunately we were late out of the blocks so the available bed is in a twin room. We're a group of three genuine sound guys with two twin rooms in parklands (about a five minute walk from campus), obviously bed in twin room isn't ideal but at this stage of the year accommodation is drying up fast. PM if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1 viral.prmr

Hi,

I am joining NUIM for Masters in Business Management. Please help me with the accommodation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Amym1103

Hey,
    Im an 18 year old girl going into second year and I'm desperate for somewhere to live! If anyone needs a housemate let me know! I'm quiet and more than likely won't be in the house that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

I'm 23 years old, Male, going to do a postgraduate degree in economics. Originally from Sweden, did my undergrad in Maynooth. I'm looking for a place to stay so please let me know if you need a housemate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fizzlecakes

We have a bed going in a twin room in Kingsbry-room mate must be female! We're All third year students. Please PM for more details. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FatherlyNick

Does anyone know a good owner occupied place for less than 350€ a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stephenbyrne ofwgkta

HEY.

My friend Rebecca and I have a house for next year in Kingsbry. We're looking for 4 people, as we have 2 twin rooms to fill. Twin rooms aren't ideal I know but we also all know how hard it is to get a place, and we'd be deadly to live with so it'd make up for it! We're easy going, friendly, and both very tidy. Message me if you're interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ace of diamonds

Hi, i have a couple questions about renting a room in Maynooth as I've never done it before.

When you're sharing a house with others, is there a separate contract between each tennant and the landlord or is there one lease for everyone?
    And which of the above would be more common do yous think?

secondly, is it possible to rent a room for 9 or 10 months or does it have to be for 12months?

Lastly, if you have to cancel a lease before the 12months is up, what noramlly happens there? Do you get your deposit back?

Thanks a million in advance for any help you can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Hi, i have a couple questions about renting a room in Maynooth as I've never done it before.

When you're sharing a house with others, is there a separate contract between each tennant and the landlord or is there one lease for everyone?
    And which of the above would be more common do yous think?

secondly, is it possible to rent a room for 9 or 10 months or does it have to be for 12months?

Lastly, if you have to cancel a lease before the 12months is up, what noramlly happens there? Do you get your deposit back?

Thanks a million in advance for any help you can give.

The lease situation is up to the landlord, it can be rented by room or a group of people can rent a whole house together.

The length of the lease is up to the landlord, most will offer a 9 month lease. Because you are about 6 months late you might only be able to find 12 month leases. Nearly everywhere in Maynooth is gone already.

If you cancel before your lease is up you will definitely loose your deposit and will most likely be sued for the rest of the money you owe. Essentially you must pay all the rent for the full lease you signed up to, it is an extremely easy case for the landlord to win.

I'll also add a note to everyone coming from a student, tenant and landlord; using your deposit as the last months rent is illegal, don't do it; it damages the rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Anna1995

Hi,
    i'm an 18 year old female, going into science in Maynooth this year. I'm looking for someone to live with
    I'm quiet and like to maintain tidiness. Please inform me if you have anything to offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

I'm a 19 year lad old going into Finance in first year and am looking for a place if I dont get on campus. If anyone has anything reasonable let me know. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 queenie154

Hi,are students expected to pay for accommodation during the summer months even if they won't be staying there??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

If you get on campus accomodation than obviously not.
    If you get a privet rented accomodation, that will depend on the contract. If a lease is 12 months than yes you will have to pay for the summer months as well. If the lease is 9 or 10 months than no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 femmeXfatale

queenie154 wrote: »
    Hi,are students expected to pay for accommodation during the summer months even if they won't be staying there??

Hey,

It really depends on the landlord you go with; some who cater mostly to students, will give college months. Other places cater to students, phd's, commuters, and maynoothians; most of these places are a years contract. As far as I know all the accomindation above Dunnes store is yearly, and some of the nicer houses, but it really depends on the landlord. It's hard for them to get people during the summer months and they know accomindation is lacking so I'm guessing the savvy minded are getting as much for their buck as they can.

I think if you look at the college accomindation list it'll say yearly or college term. A lot of the good accomindation was taken by continuing students. There was a mad frenzy in May

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Bringing this to attention of anyone looking. Digs available

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057257920/1/#post91466314

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NUIAL

Hey there!

My friend and I are living about 5/10 mins (walking) away from college and need someone to share a twin room! We're going into second year and its €80 a week and in a class location! I know a twin room isn't ideal but we also all know how hard it is to get a place, but sure we'd have the craic and be fun to live with :) We're both tidy and clean, friendly and up for a laugh. Message me if you're interested! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ItsJustLaura

Hey guys!
    So I'll be going into 1st year in a few weeks and I was wondering where is the best and safest place to live? If I don't get on campus I was thinking of maybe going into digs. Whats peoples experiences from digs before?
    I'd like to live in an area that's a walking distance to the college. Where would be the best?
    Thanks in advance for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Cruz Colossal Saltine

I think safety wise the whole town is pretty ok, you don't hear many (or any) reports of serious crime. You get the usual young lads thinking they are Mike Tyson after a half bottle of beer but you can just avoid muppets like that easily. Accommodation wise I'd say you are definely going to be in the "beggars can't be choosers" boat at this late stage. A lot of the property has been snapped up already. Its tough to get somewhere out here. Keep your fingers crossed for on campus.

What about accom that isn't digs? Finding it hard to find anything :confused::(

9bred4 wrote: »
    What about accom that isn't digs? Finding it hard to find anything :confused::(

I was commuting for the first semester and was still able to find an alright place for the second semester, so don't fret. There are always SOME rooms available.

I was commuting for the first semester and was still able to find an alright place for the second semester, so don't fret. There are always SOME rooms available.

Like where? I dont even know where to look because rent.ie and daft.ie there are no places

• Advertisement

9bred4 wrote: »
    Like where? I dont even know where to look because rent.ie and daft.ie there are no places

bing it on!
    Or google it.

Whatever works for you.

Advertisement