Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Go Figure

Options
  • 03-08-2014 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

This is a game.

The game has rounds.

The object of each round is to figure out its rules.

The game has players.

Anyone who posts in this thread is a player.

The game has an objective.

The object of the game is to win more rounds than other players.

Edit:
    I'm not actually answering questions in my replies, I'm scoring posts. All scoring is done by code so (at least for now and the foreseeable rounds) it doesn't require any interpretation from me. I run details of the post through basic code and generate the score. An example rule for a round might be: you get one point for every word starting with 'y' in your post. (The rule for Round 1 is more basic than that.)

The code is fixed for every round. The code follows some rules and those are what you have to guess. You have lots of inputs and lots of outputs and you have my word that the rules are solvable. You can post whatever input you want to see the output for. If you guess what rule(s) the scoring follows, you win the round and then the next round starts.

I generally don't engage with posts other than to give the score. You have to get your clues through the scores for the posts.

The game doesn't accumulate your score for posts, only how many rounds you've won.

The key to the game is twofold. The first is being able to figure out the patterns in scoring. The second (and equally as important part) is posting in such a manner that the scores are informative. Without the second part, the first part can be like finding the needle in the haystack.

Putting that into practice, the rule for scoring in round 1 is quite simple but to find it, you need to think about posting in a way that generates useful information. For example, one of the posts has a score of 7. A good idea might be to break up or modify the post and see what parts of the post score and what don't. Remove parts of the post you think are related to the scoring and post them. Did they get the same score? Try post it in two halves. Do the scores add up to 7 again? Etc. Once you've enough good information, the rule should jump out at you (or someone observing).

It's okay to post as many times as you need to to generate more information (within reason / so long as the mods don't care).

On a side note (can't edit OP any more), I'll add one more "game-level" rule which is that rounds time out after a week, at which point I'll explain the rule(s) and move onto the next round.

In any case, all will become clear as we go along. From here on I will just be mindlessly scoring posts again until someone gets the rule or the round times out.

Just to emphasise again that while the rules for rounds might get more challenging, they will never become unfair. My goal in designing the rules is for you to say "aha" when you see the answer rather than "wtf". It's important you trust me on this, which I hope you will after a few rounds.

Anyways, thanks for playing and I hope you enjoy the game! :)
    Round 1 ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59,551 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Do you know the rules, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Xhu

Do you know the rules, OP?

Are points awarded simply by asking you a Yes or No answer type of question?

Are points awarded simply by asking you a Yes or No answer type of question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Is a poster allowed more than 1 guess/question/answer per post

• Advertisement

Is a poster allowed more than 1 guess/question/answer per post

If water is left in an uninsulated open topped glass jug for 1 hour at a steady 15 degrees Celsius room temperature, is that water always in a frozen state at the end of that 1 hour period?

If water is left in an uninsulated open topped glass jug for 1 hour at a steady 15 degrees Celsius room temperature, is that water always in a frozen state at the end of that 1 hour period?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

can we use google?

Including this question and your response to it, have we played 6 rounds of this game?

• Advertisement

messrs wrote: »
    can we use google?
    Including this question and your response to it, have we played 6 rounds of this game?

Is the player who asks the most questions which receive a score of 1 from you deemed the winner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

is there a limit to how many players can take part?

Is the player who asks the most questions which receive a score of 1 from you deemed the winner?
    messrs wrote: »
    is there a limit to how many players can take part?

Does the game end when all the rules have been posted on this thread?

Does the game end when all the rules have been posted on this thread?

Is this 20 questions about what 20 questions maybe or what 20 questions is if this is 20 questions to guess what type of quiz exists here as round 1? :pac:

Is this 20 questions about what 20 questions maybe or what 20 questions is if this is 20 questions to guess what type of quiz exists here as round 1?

Is there a limit on the number of posts a poster is limited to per day/per round?

Does this round end when a player reaches a particular predefined score?

• Advertisement

If I thank a post do I award that poster a point?

Is there a limit on the number of posts a poster is limited to per day/per round?
    Does this round end when a player reaches a particular predefined score?
    If I thank a post do I award that poster a point?

Are you keeping a tally of the points awarded to each player?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Do you get bonus points for consecutive days participation?

Do you get bonus points for consecutive days participation?

Here's my take on this game :)

The overarching objective of the game is to score more points than everyone else (per post 1).

Per post 4 & 5, you score points by asking questions with a Yes/No (or presumably True/false) response. It appears that only one question can be asked at a time (post 6 & 7) although it's possible that the question asked must be very precise without any room for ambiguity or wiggle room to the OP- such ambiguity might allow a 0 point response. Using the combination "guess/ question/ answer" might offer such wiggle room to the OP in responding with a 0.

Assuming that the OP answers truthfully (post 8 & 9) it appears to me that a valid winning technique is to simply ask obviously true questions e.g. "Is €1 less money than €2?","Is €2 less money than €3?", "Is €3 less money than €4?" and so on ad infinitum. Based on my repeated question (post 24 and 27) which was answered twice (post 26 & 28) it might even be possible to ask the same question to rack up points!

My conclusion: this game is quite pointless :)

Here's my take on this game :)

The overarching objective of the game is to score more points than everyone else (per post 1).

Per post 4 & 5, you score points by asking questions with a Yes/No (or presumably True/false) response. It appears that only one question can be asked at a time (post 6 & 7) although it's possible that the question asked must be very precise without any room for ambiguity or wiggle room to the OP- such ambiguity might allow a 0 point response. Using the combination "guess/ question/ answer" might offer such wiggle room to the OP in responding with a 0.

Assuming that the OP answers truthfully (post 8 & 9) it appears to me that a valid winning technique is to simply ask obviously true questions e.g. "Is €1 less money than €2?","Is €2 less money than €3?", "Is €3 less money than €4?" and so on ad infinitum. Based on my repeated question (post 24 and 27) which was answered twice (post 26 & 28) it might even be possible to ask the same question to rack up points!

My conclusion: this game is quite pointless :)

• Advertisement

Xhu wrote: »
    Is round 1 over? :)

Advertisement