Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Figure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59,514 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

I am the only nutty person playing Scrabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Don't worry, namenot. I may join in soon, though I won't be much help! :P

It's actually a specially constructed sentence to try identify the hidden rule, Eeden- it runs in the sequence 1 character, 2 characters, 3 characters etc rather than a statement of anything sensible, truthful or meaningful! :D

All the same, thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Xhu

A BB CCC DDDD EEEEE FFFFFF GGGGGGG HHHHHHHH IIIIIIIII JJJJJJJJJJ KKKKKKKKKKK LLLLLLLLLLLL MMMMMMMMMMMMM NNNNNNNNNNNNNN OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY:D
    A E I O U
    1 22 333 444 55555 666666 7777777 88888888 999999999
    ! .. ((( )))) ::::: ;;;;;; ???????
    Eeden wrote: »
    Don't worry, namenot. I may join in soon, though I won't be much help! :P
    It's actually a specially constructed sentence to try identify the hidden rule, Eeden- it runs in the sequence 1 character, 2 characters, 3 characters etc rather than a statement of anything sensible, truthful or meaningful! :D

All the same, thanks anyway :)

Rule: 26 - the number of unique letters used in the statement :)

• Advertisement

Rule:
    26 - the number of unique letters used in the statement :)
    CORRECT!

Rule:
    Number of letters not used in the post

(Just thinking: maybe could you spoiler tag the answer for the folks following along? Optional of course.)

Leader board:

Pos. | Player | Score | For Round #
    1 | namenotavailabl | 1 | 2

Round 3 ...

One query- how does the sentence "Don't worry, namenot. I may join in soon, though I won't be much help!" get 6 points? I make it 7!

One query- how does the sentence "Don't worry, namenot. I may join in soon, though I won't be much help!" get 6 points? I make it 7!

(The issue was the ":P" emoticon using "P". I wondered about removing emoticons altogether but since they might be relevant in later rounds, I thought it would be more consistent to leave them in the scoring text for now.)

But there was a 'p' in help!

1 22 333 4444 55555 666666 7777777 88888888 999999999 0000000000

• Advertisement

A a E e I i O o U u

Monday is followed by Tuesday which in turn is followed by Wednesday and then there's Thursday when Friday comes next and to round it off we have Saturday and Sunday

But there was a 'p' in help!

Fair point but I think the score is still 6.

Unique letters used: dontwryameijshugbclp = 20

Unique letters not used: fkqvxz = 6

It's very much possible I'll make some mistakes in the scoring, but in this case I think it's correct?

1 22 333 4444 55555 666666 7777777 88888888 999999999 0000000000
    A a E e I i O o U u
    Monday is followed by Tuesday which in turn is followed by Wednesday and then there's Thursday when Friday comes next and to round it off we have Saturday and Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

Is this round deal with the most consecutive letters posted after the other, ie, Eedens: A a or Namenots: 88888888 ? No, that can't be it cos Eeden posted too many of those to only add up to 1 point. Willllllllllll tryyyyyyy thissssss againnnnn in awhilllllle.

TommieBoy wrote: »
    Is this round deal with the most consecutive letters posted after the other, ie, Eedens: A a or Namenots: 88888888 ? No, that can't be it cos Eeden posted too many of those to only add up to 1 point. Willllllllllll tryyyyyyy thissssss againnnnn in awhilllllle.

Xhu wrote: »
    ...On a side note (can't edit OP any more), I'll add one more "game-level" rule which is that rounds time out after a week, at which point I'll explain the rule(s) and move onto the next round...

May I suggest, for the sake of clarity for new posters and since you cannot edit the first post that: (A) you ask a puzzle mod to include your spoiler explanation (post#51) in the first OP, or (B) you start a new thread (especially if this thread becomes long) so as not to lose the threads explanation among the many pages in the thread... Just a suggest, ta

!"£$%^&*()_+

Might it be....if a key is repeated only once, than only one point is alotted, if it's repeated more than once, more points are added?

dunno...cant quite put my finner on it yet ;)

May I suggest, for the sake of clarity for new posters and since you cannot edit the first post that: (A) you ask a puzzle mod to include your spoiler explanation (post#51) in the first OP, or (B) you start a new thread (especially if this thread becomes long) so as not to lose the threads explanation among the many pages in the thread... Just a suggest, ta

That's a good idea. I sent a PM to Blisterman asking him to do this. Thanks!
    !"£$%^&*()_+
    Might it be....if a key is repeated only once, than only one point is alotted, if it's repeated more than once, more points are added?

dunno...cant quite put my finner on it yet ;)

Okay, so I am very sure I haven't the brain power to figure this round out... Tis a top thread Xhu... Namenots earlier posts inspire a spin-off of this thread; but again, my lack of brain cells precludes my initiating it... nor even properly explaining my thoughts, buuuuut, I shallll try anyway...oh but that will have to wait cos I have an idea to ask of this round....
    Be back in a sec.

• Advertisement

K J X Q Z

10 8 5

a b c d e f g h i j k l m

n o p q r s t u v w x y z

F h V w Y