Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sims 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I preordered the last one and would have preordered this one only for the fiasco with SimCity. I just don't know what EA will do next. I think I'll hang on until there's a few patches released and then go back. I hated the way Sims3 was organised, everything from updating to importing add ons. It turned me right off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm kinda curious to see it in action. I played a bit of Sims 3 after there was that EA Humble Bundle and it was a nice improvement on 2 which was the last one I played. I found it quirky, fun and engaging like the previous 2 Sims and I can't imagine 4 will change that up much - it's a winning formula.

The create-a-sim in the video above looks top notch. Intuitive and friendly interface that won't be any sort of issue to a new generation of potential players who have been raised on a touch screen.

As an aside, I can't help but feel that EA will continue to make it a terribly anti-consumer affair because Sims fans aren't gamers in the traditional sense of the word. They're dedicated and smart and enthusiastic people, but like the "Daves" who think they're gamers but who are only console CoD and FIFA fans and who think that buying the same game year after year is perfectly normal (as well as paying for additional content for said game on a regular basis), Sims fans have been horribly exploited with constant paid content and so have been trained to think that having to spend and spend and spend is perfectly normal.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Sims players or Daves by the way and I wholeheartedly believe that they are as valid and important a games consumer as anyone else, but I just really hate how their strength of numbers has permanently introduced things which those of us, who for the last 20 years have essentially fostered and given rise to the modern computer gaming industry, despise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Really excited for this game but €70 on Origin is extremely steep.

I think I'm going to wait until I can get the physical form.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Shocking decision to remove POOLS from the game, confirmed yesterday

Shocking decision to remove POOLS from the game, confirmed yesterday

They removed swimming pools from the game?

Why would they do that?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Why would they do that?!

EA: Get ready for the Sims 4 - Pool Party, a new exciting DLC from EA.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I loved The Sims 2, constantly had problems with 3 though with Sims not aging properly, romantic relationships impossible to form. I've walked away in frustration and gone back more times than I care to think of, to play happily for a little while until something else goes wrong. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and constantly been frustrated by it. I'd love to think the new one will be fine but I'm not convinced I have to say, games being released buggy seems to be the norm these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Kiith wrote: »
    EA: Get ready for the Sims 4 - Pool Party, a new exciting DLC from EA.

:pac:
    Was just about to post the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Cowboy stuff. Sad to say that I won't be buying Sims 4 after buying the very high majority of games up to now. WHen they start to blatantly try suck money out of us users it's just too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I loved Sims 2 but Sims 3 was garbage, all of the sims had the same chubby, ambiguous faces and it was truly shameless with the expansion packs. I just don't trust EA to handle it properly any more and no doubt the game will be conveniently stripped of certain vital features only to have them 'featured' as downloadable content that costs extra. I truly believe Sims 2 was the peak of the series, incredible what people did with the game and the many many mods that were easy to install and use (which never really happened on the same scale with Sims 3)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

No toddlers in base game either which sucks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The idiots at EA/Maxis sound like they are driving this game into the ground. Just like Sim City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

It's no doubt Management who have no interest/experience in gaming who make all these quack decisions, just to suit the bondholders and their interest to the dollar rather than what's best to the customer. I mean you have to keep your shareholders happy, but making idiotic decisions does not equate into good business decisions for either party.

There's a Create-a-sim demo available now. If you have Origin you can sign in and it will appear in the "My Games" section if you are lucky! I didn't get it at first but then I put my email address I use for origin on this site http://www.thesims.com/news/the-sims-4-create-a-sim-demo-early-access-signup and I have it now! Addicted already! I was annoyed about the lack of pools and toddlers...but I'm having so much fun creating Sims! Hurry up Sept 2 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    There's a Create-a-sim demo available now. If you have Origin you can sign in and it will appear in the "My Games" section if you are lucky! I didn't get it at first but then I put my email address I use for origin on this site http://www.thesims.com/news/the-sims-4-create-a-sim-demo-early-access-signup and I have it now! Addicted already! I was annoyed about the lack of pools and toddlers...but I'm having so much fun creating Sims! Hurry up Sept 2 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    I tried it out, pretty pleased with it.

Where are the toddlers can someone tell me!

The whole drag and pull system is interesting but I found that if I try to move my Sim around to take a look at the back of them I start making them fatter/thinner.

Pain to get it right.

I tried it out, pretty pleased with it.

Where are the toddlers can someone tell me!

The whole drag and pull system is interesting but I found that if I try to move my Sim around to take a look at the back of them I start making them fatter/thinner.

Pain to get it right.

I kept doing that too! I wanted to zoom in on their face and I was messing up all my hard work! I found the sliders easier than this but maybe I'll get used to it

I kept doing that too! I wanted to zoom in on their face and I was messing up all my hard work! I found the sliders easier than this but maybe I'll get used to it

Yeah I ended up using the little sliders in the end too but I found these moved a bit too fast for my liking.

I'm sure it's just something we're all gonna have to get used to.

Really excited for this game now!

Yeah I ended up using the little sliders in the end too but I found these moved a bit too fast for my liking.

I'm sure it's just something we're all gonna have to get used to.

Really excited for this game now!

Yeah me too! Even though the sims are more cartoony their faces seem more real or something! Hard to explain but it's cool!

Yeah me too! Even though the sims are more cartoony their faces seem more real or something! Hard to explain but it's cool!
    Yeah, I love the artstyle of it. I think that if they were too real looking then it wouldn't be The Sims!

Even though I love The Sims I haven't pre-ordered it as of yet, it's €70 on Origin which is a crazy price for a game!

I think I'm going to wait until Christmas and see what the prices are like around then.

Yeah, I love the artstyle of it. I think that if they were too real looking then it wouldn't be The Sims!

Even though I love The Sims I haven't pre-ordered it as of yet, it's €70 on Origin which is a crazy price for a game!

I think I'm going to wait until Christmas and see what the prices are like around then.
    I haven't pre-ordered either! That's a bit expensive like TS3 and TS2 were only €40 if I remember! I'm not sure how much it will cost over here (living in Canada!) I'll probably buy it on the day its released!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 MyNanoh

Toddlers won't be in the game? I've heard about babies, like, with diaper and uselessness, but toddlers...
    Are you sure about that?

MyNanoh wrote: »
    Toddlers won't be in the game? I've heard about babies, like, with diaper and uselessness, but toddlers...
    Are you sure about that?
    100% sure... no toddlers. They go from babies to kids

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection is available for free on Origin! I just got it :D:D

http://simsvip.com/2014/07/23/one-week-only-the-sims-2-ultimate-collection-free/#comment-this-topic

I lost all my discs so it is good to have!!

Sims 2 is probably the definitive ones before EA started hacking up the Sims franchise. Good to see its free :)

On another note, minimum specs are releasted. Any PC/Laptop made within the last 4/5 years should be well capable of playing it:

OS: Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, or Windows 8.1
    PROCESSOR: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4000+ or equivalent (For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 or equivalent)
    MEMORY: At least 2 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: At least 9 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
    DVD-ROM: DVD ROM drive required for installation only
    VIDEO CARD: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better
    SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
    DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0c compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MyNanoh

How cr*p it is, no toddlers.

Yeah it's annoying. They will probably add them in an expansion pack.

After trying the create a sim demo I'm excited to try the new build /buy mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Sims 2 is probably the definitive ones before EA started hacking up the Sims franchise. Good to see its free :)

On another note, minimum specs are releasted. Any PC/Laptop made within the last 4/5 years should be well capable of playing it:

OS: Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, or Windows 8.1
    PROCESSOR: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4000+ or equivalent (For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 or equivalent)
    MEMORY: At least 2 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: At least 9 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
    DVD-ROM: DVD ROM drive required for installation only
    VIDEO CARD: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better
    SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
    DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0c compatible

Way too tired to be reading those specs so read my Signature, can I run it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

The sims 2 and the sims 3 were both launch day games for me, the sims 4 however is not, I have just not seen enough that makes it compelling and as EA have done with Simcity they are taking a truly beloved franchise and wreaking it with their greed. I have gotten many hours of play out of the sims 3, it's a really enjoyable game at its core but EA were too busy releasing ridiculously priced expansions for a game that was full of bugs and issues. Then you have stuff packs, which are not worth a penny IMHO, there is nothing in them, then there is the DLC which is all rediculously expensive. The expansions have all been pretty poor IMHO, I thought that the sims 2 expansions were far better thought out and implemented, free time, apartment life, seasons were just great and really added loads to the game.

The sims 3 seasons is just about as annoying as can be, the entire winter none of my kids ever go to school because ever day is a snow day. Showtime was just a big money making venture (I didn't buy it). The celebrity thing that they added with late night is permanently turned off in my game because absolutely everyone is a celebrity and its really annoying. The social media thing they added in university is really annoying. I actually uninstalled world adventures because of how much I hated it. I have even bypassed the launch centre because of how annoying and buggy it. Instead of fixing all these issues they would just release more crap that was fundementally broken.

Now they expect sims fans to not only buy a game that doesn't have pools or toddlers but to rebuy pets, late night, seasons, vacations/world adventures etc. etc. I had unleashed for the first sims, pets for the sims 2 and sims 3 and now they want me to buy it again for the sims 4? Forget about it, I think I am done with EA and their greediness and nothing I have seen about the sims 4 so far makes me want to change my mind. Maybe if they included some of this stuff into the base game it would inspire them to make better and new expansions that we haven't seen before instead of making more convoluted versions of the same one over and over. At the very least I think pets and seasons should be included in the base game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Way too tired to be reading those specs so read my Signature, can I run it?

your signature blinded me - don't be so lazy!

• Advertisement

"Coming soon to the Sims 4: Toddlers! only €9.99!"

It's EA, I can easily see it happening.

Advertisement