Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*** Accommodation thread *** Queries & Availability

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

NMCI have a link to local accomodation on their homepage. They have a full housing estate. The nature of the college means rooms become available throughout the academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭HelpImAlive

Hi,

We're a bunch of first years and this year we live in student accom (Eden Hall) but for next year we want to get a house. There's 4 of us, so ideally a 4 bed. Does anyone have any ideas on when the best time to start looking is and the best estates to look in?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LosZeta

So i'm going to CIT doing Bar Management starting september 2013 and I'm wondering which will be the best place for accommodation. I would like a nice apartment that shares with 3 people MAXIMUM. <-- Can't stress that point more! Although i'd like it to be reasonably quiet, I wouldn't like it to be one of these places where you're playing a bit of music and the landlord is knocking on your door, i'd like a bit of life in the place.

All replies will be greatly appreciated! And if anyone has done/is doing the bar management course i'd also like to hear what you guys think of it!

Many thanks!

Parchment is the closest accommodation to CIT.. connected by a direct walkway. You've a choice of single, single ensuite or twin/twin ensuite rooms. Most first years stay in the Synge or Kavanagh blocks, where most apartments consist of 3 beds, 2 single and 1 double, all ensuite.. There's others in the blocks though that are 1 twin, 2 single.. The apartments are grand, basic, uncomfy couches, crappy telly etc.

Abbeyville is directly across the road from Parchment.. aptly called "Shabbyville". It's a bit of a dump.. wouldn't really recommend it.

Eden Hall is grand.. nothing special, but basically to the same standard of Parchment, just a farther walk away. Abbeyville would definitely be the quietest, Eden Hall and Parchment would have more of a party atmosphere..

Thanks for the info! Would you know how many people would be in each apartment in Parchment and Edenhall? Would like to share with 2 others maximum!

• Advertisement

LosZeta wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! Would you know how many people would be in each apartment in Parchment and Edenhall? Would like to share with 2 others maximum!

Yeah I live with 2 others in Parchment, most of the first year apartments are 3 people here. In Eden Hall it varies, but usually 4 minimum per apartment..

Think i'll be going for Parchment! Thanks for the info :D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

You live with 3 in deans hall too, I dunno what your obsession is with the number of flatmates but it's just luck really, you might end up with a bunch of scumbags with their friends over constantly or you could could get tidy quiet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Hey guys and gals,

Was looking for some accommodation advice for the upcoming 2013/2014 college year.

Myself(2nd year) and a friend(3rd year) are looking for a place to live come september.
    We don't want to stay in student apartments so were looking at houses to rent/share.

So does anyone have any ideas for us or know of any other people looking to do a house share?

Regards
    Frosty

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hannahc93

Hi guys,
    I’ll be starting the BMus Course this year in the School of Music and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me about accommodation :P

I’m a small bit older than your average first year and I’d prefer to be living with a gang of no more than 4 people, preferably attending the music school as well. Because I’m 2 years out of school as it is, I’m serious about knuckling down and getting a good degree so I’d like to be with a group who are of the same mind-set (although don’t get me wrong, I’m not opposed to having a bit of fun now and again!)
    As is the case with everyone these days, I’m on a budget. So my max spend per month on rent would be in and around €300 if possible.
    I know I’m quite early because most people have only just moved out, but by any small miracle is there anyone else out there in the same boat as me looking for a housemate to fill a room or else someone who'd be interested in looking for a house together? If there is, please pm me!
    Thanks! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Gobbledy

Heya,
    I was just looking for a bit of advice basically I am 21 I dropped out of UL last year and I'm going back to college in CIT doing Interior Arch and I was wondering what accommodation would you recommended, I had a glance down through this so I will try to not ask and questions that have been asked already. So I have put a deposit down for Dean's Hall and I was happy out until I received the T&C letter from them in the post stating rules like it's a 50e fine to have someone stay over, no parties, no smoking, no bottles on the window sill, not allowed to wash clothes in the sink all this other crazy ****e that you'd come to expect to hapen in stu acc. I stayed in UL student acc in 1st year a few years back and it was all fine easy going could have a few friends back after a night out, you were allowed smoke as long as everyone staying with you was okay with it. I was just wondering what would be a place that isn't as strict as Dean's or is it too late to be picky. I just want a somewhere where you can have some craic like whilst having respect for the place of course. Also I have a desktop pc and was wondering are you allowed have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kyleb11

Heya ehm have you people.staying.with u im going cork IT but.need to find someone to stay with if you can help thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

kyleb11 wrote: »
    Heya ehm have you people.staying.with u im going cork IT but.need to find someone to stay with if you can help thanks

me-fail-english-thats-unpossible_605.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BarrySeoighe

Are the apartments in Parchment Square Mixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Adriannal95

I was wondering about parchment square. Before I decide on anything I want to know if there are any rules.. Like would I be allowed to have someone stay over at the weekend or is the internet good? Are the apartments mixed? And is it a good place to live. And I will be paying with Grant money so will they be okay with me paying later than the date for first payment? Any responses will be highly appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I was wondering about parchment square. Before I decide on anything I want to know if there are any rules.. Like would I be allowed to have someone stay over at the weekend or is the internet good? Are the apartments mixed? And is it a good place to live. And I will be paying with Grant money so will they be okay with me paying later than the date for first payment? Any responses will be highly appreciated :)

I lived in parchment a few years ago and they were strict enough on people staying over. I think you can sign someone in, that was the way in eden hall anyway. The internet is decent except at peak times it was almost like dial up. At weekends you could probably stream movies but during the week it was just good for research.
    The apartments are mixed but im fairly sure you can let them know if you want an all male/female apartment.
    I remember I had a friend living there who was late with his payment and they disabled his key card without telling him, he had to go to the office just before they closed to try explain the situation. I'd say you'd be better off telling them in advance your grant will be late and try come to some arrangement.

From living in parchment and eden hall I much preferred eden hall, although parchment was a good bit cheaper and closer to college and the bus stops

I lived in parchment a few years ago and they were strict enough on people staying over. I think you can sign someone in, that was the way in eden hall anyway. The internet is decent except at peak times it was almost like dial up. At weekends you could probably stream movies but during the week it was just good for research.
    The apartments are mixed but im fairly sure you can let them know if you want an all male/female apartment.
    I remember I had a friend living there who was late with his payment and they disabled his key card without telling him, he had to go to the office just before they closed to try explain the situation. I'd say you'd be better off telling them in advance your grant will be late and try come to some arrangement.

From living in parchment and eden hall I much preferred eden hall, although parchment was a good bit cheaper and closer to college and the bus stops

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Yeah I was interested in eden hall as well but I read a few bad things about it. Why did you like eden hall more? I don't really mind walking a bit but I heard that the internet was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BarrySeoighe

I live ther atm and i love it there, your a 2 min walk from cit. I live in a mixed apartment but I know there are some that are not mixed. The internet is grand, its plug in but I find it fast. I have had people stay and there has not been a problem. Em i not to sure on the whole paying late thing put I'm sure if you ask them and explain, they probably won't have a problem. :)

okay thanks a lot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Outcastangel

Hey,
    I was just wondering does anyone have any idea what the story is with houses in bishopstown? There seems to be close to zero renting to students? I was living in parchment last semester and as I am broke I haven't booked a room yet! Apparently they are booked up..
    Anyone looking have a room that needs to be filled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 stardollz

Hey,
    I was just wondering does anyone have any idea what the story is with houses in bishopstown? There seems to be close to zero renting to students? I was living in parchment last semester and as I am broke I haven't booked a room yet! Apparently they are booked up..
    Anyone looking have a room that needs to be filled?

You can get a list of housing from the accommodation office in cit.

stardollz wrote: »
    You can get a list of housing from the accommodation office in cit.

Yeah nothing is left on it as far as I know? I'll see if I can get an updated list, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Hey, does anyone know what is the booking process for either parchment square or eden hall? I have filled in the forms that are on their website a while a go and even tried to contact them via email, haven't heard back from them yet. Haven't tried calling them dirrectly as I am currently out of the country, but from what I understand there is no direct way to book accommodation and pay the deposit online.

Regards,
    Darius.

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know what is the booking process for either parchment square or eden hall? I have filled in the forms that are on their website a while a go and even tried to contact them via email, haven't heard back from them yet. Haven't tried calling them dirrectly as I am currently out of the country, but from what I understand there is no direct way to book accommodation and pay the deposit online.

Regards,
    Darius.

I don't know about Eden hall but a few friends haven't gotten places in parchment because it's booked up..

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Will (hopefully) be in Clonakilty/CIT this year, need to get a house sorted. four days a week in Clon, 1 in CIT, would the collage be the place to ring to try and find a house around Clonakilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NiallQuinn17

Looking for accommodation near bishopstown for phase 2 of my apprenticeship. Finding it very hard to find some were decent. Looking for a 1-2 bed apartment or digs it doesn't bother me. If anyone could help ? I start on the 13th of October and finish on the 6th of March.

Thanks in advance !

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

I know it's very late to be asking this but myself and 2 friends are pretty stuck right now. Basically 3 of us (1 4th year & 2 3rd years) are looking for accomadation close to CIT! Does anyone know of anything still available?
    Regards,
    Shane

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    I know it's very late to be asking this but myself and 2 friends are pretty stuck right now. Basically 3 of us (1 4th year & 2 3rd years) are looking for accomadation close to CIT! Does anyone know of anything still available?
    Regards,
    Shane

I got a list from the accommodation office last week and there were places left! Mostly only one room in each house though.. If u email them they will send it onto u

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for but I was told there are some rooms available in Eden Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for but I was told there are some rooms available in Eden Hall.

has the internet improved there or whats the story? No places for 1st and 2nd years I believe

Advertisement