Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spraoi 2014?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

www.spraoi.com

The website is great, has all the info you need including a digital version of the Spraoi programme.

Love Spraoi and can't wait for this year's festival. Even thought I no longer live in Ireland I still try to make it home for Spraoi every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WideAwake123

www dot spraoi dot com

The website is great, has all the info you need including a digital version of the Spraoi programme.

Love Spraoi and can't wait for this year's festival. Even thought I no longer live in Ireland I still try to make it home for Spraoi every year.

Thank you so so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Really great line up of street performers and music, & the parade looked great on the telly the other night! Could be the best SPRAOI yet!

Lots of updates on their facebook page too!

https://www.facebook.com/SpraoiWaterford?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

I Love Spraoi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

It's like Christmas for the pubs and shops and restaurants in the town. Needs to get more support from the people and businesses of Waterford IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Where abouts is the fireworks this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The bucket collection will be on going all weekend don't be shy folks Spraoi deserve and need our support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

A few people from the Waterford Gang Facebook page were out and about this morning as the street cleaners were cleaning up the aftermath of the spraoi parade, the cleaners said they have been cleaning up human excrement as well as all the rubbish strewn about the place.

Since when has it been ok for someone to **** on the streets, enough of a problem with dogs, don't understand why people have to turn into animals and tarnish a weekend of fun with this kind of behaviour.

Shin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its never been ok for someone to **** on the street, but then its never been ok for someone to piss on the street and yet you'll see it alot on a saturday night etc. In fairness its not much different.

Remember a few years ago I was working on the quays and I walked up through red square after the parade, state of the place was shocking..rubbish everywhere.

We as a society are awfully disrespectful to our towns and citys when it comes to dumping stuff, some people just see no problem in dropping rubbish on the street and in my view such people are utter scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Are we becoming a bit blasé - hardly a mention on Boards last few days on another great Spraoi weekend.

Great week-end - 21st
    Liked the focus along O'Connell Street - into John Roberts Square and over into Cathedral Square and the newly titled "Palace Square".

The Plaza set up seemed to work OK - was there Sunday (The Correspondence were particularly good).

Parade route was a return to one of the early years routes - more intimate; limits the size of floats (still massive);

Weather Saturday did impact - it was so miserable - would a Plan B to include a stand-by Marquee on the quay (like the size of the Ice Rink one - use if needed.

Anyway - very well done to all - Volunteers in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Went in Saturday, acts canceled times changed and place like a morgue. The plaza entrance was an accident waiting to happen.
    Didnt' bother with parade and did the fireworks away from the crowds. Coming back along the quay was like a tip people p*ssing against walls and bags, bottles and boxes just strewn all over the place. The fire brigade where doing someone at the public toilets and probably what i hear about the amount of human waste on the streets god knows what they were dealing with.
    Fireworks were great thats something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Topics Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Sully wrote: »
    Topics Merged

Don't quite agree there - whatever the other posters are saying is not about the many many positives of Spraoi itself and the arrangements and acts. also the heading is not referring to Spraoi at all. The 2 threads are separate if related issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Martin_D wrote: »
    Don't quite agree there - whatever the other posters are saying is not about the many many positives of Spraoi itself and the arrangements and acts. also the heading is not referring to Spraoi at all. The 2 threads are separate if related issues.

Even the thread title gives no hint that it's anything to do with Spraoi...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Are we becoming a bit blasé - hardly a mention on Boards last few days on another great Spraoi weekend.

Great week-end - 21st
    Liked the focus along O'Connell Street - into John Roberts Square and over into Cathedral Square and the newly titled "Palace Square".

The Plaza set up seemed to work OK - was there Sunday (The Correspondence were particularly good).

Parade route was a return to one of the early years routes - more intimate; limits the size of floats (still massive);

Weather Saturday did impact - it was so miserable - would a Plan B to include a stand-by Marquee on the quay (like the size of the Ice Rink one - use if needed.

Anyway - very well done to all - Volunteers in particular.
    Topics Merged

You sure you didnt mean to merge the above post with this thread? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057257080

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fixed with a new merger. Keeping all the Spraoi discussion in one thread. If we separate them out, it's just going to be two separate discussions on both sides of the festival anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED WILL NEVER BE BACK

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED WILL NEVER BE BACK

You going to tell us why?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

I went in friday and Sunday with the kids. I love spraoi but I have to say some of the acts dragged on a bit. Most of the acts were 40 mins small kids were getting bored and the acts seems to drag on and on.
    Loved the parade and the parade route , fireworks were fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Parade was amazing. Love the route not being on the quay. Much better atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Completely agree with this, what people are complaining about has nothing to do with Spraoi. Young Irish people’s behaviour at events like things has just become worse and worse. Bunch of spoilt brats that have never been thought the difference between right and wrong. Not Spraoi or Waterford's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I love fireworks and always have. Sadly, I was alone at home minding the dog last night (the joys of grown up kids who'd rather party than look after the dog on fireworks night) and could not leave her alone so totally missed what is a highlight of the year for me. Hearing it was deadly. Well done to all even if I missed it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

jimbojazz wrote: »
    You going to tell us why?

because enniscorthy is where its at

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Wonderful weekend at Spraoi, the festival is very weather dependent but there you go, the cost of putting up a marquee would be phenomenal including the hiring renting of space etc.. and the Festival is just not funded enough. The atmosphere around the city on Saturday night and Sunday was tremendous.

On that point I am fed up every year of reading about drunkenness and "animal behavour" and how people feel it is grand to target the festival as the reason for this. Spraoi promotes the Arts and family entertainment. There was massive crowds around Sunday and especially Sunday night and thee vast majority of those out an about were just enjoying a great night in for our city and promoting it in a very family friends manner. For those idiots who acted like animals (and probably do it on other times throughout the year) a bit of cop on and decency would go a along way. If it is drink that causes them to behave like that they need to give it up.

But please, please do not let this behaviour detract from what is a spectacular event for our city, we should be promoting this event and seeking additional funding not giving the detractors ammunition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Everyone knows its not Spraois fault and I never inferred that in my post far from it, but the behaviour of defecating and pissing in the streets needs to be policed and cracked down. I was at the Spraoi on Sunday didn't see any police around the various streets at all, perhaps it would have deterred people from acting like animals

Shin

shinzon wrote: »
    Everyone knows its not Spraois fault and I never inferred that in my post far from it, but the behaviour of defecating and pissing in the streets needs to be policed and cracked down. I was at the Spraoi on Sunday didn't see any police around the various streets at all, perhaps it would have deterred people from acting like animals

Shin

I was in Sunday afternoon and saw numerous Guards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I was in Sunday afternoon and saw numerous Guards :)
    Ah sure you'd be looking out for them :p.

Shame that the weather resulted in some cancellations but thanks to social media, people are easily able to keep up to date with the new plans.

As for the public toilets, I'd suggest just get in a load of portaloos but with so many festivals that weekend, I'd say they cost a bomb. And anyway, it's Waterford City Centre... a toilet in a pub/hotel is little more than two minutes away, so I'm not sure what good getting hundreds of portaloos in would do, other than allow Spraoi to deflect the blame (not that I think it's their fault anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

another excellent spraoi, credit to all involved and I hope the keyboard warriors who know whats wrong with everything put a €5 into the collection boxes, i fear some people out there are more than happy to enjoy/complain and not support anyway.
    especially liked the sierra leone refugee band down on the plaza, great to see facilities down there such as bar, food and toilets. Keeping the can drinking outside helped the friendly atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was down for the first time this weekend and had a great time - the NEST acts in particular were great. The parade was great and fireworks too but with all those thousands of people about, it couldn't have hurt to put some portaloos out. I watched the parade and the fireworks on the quays and was able to sneak into the Granville when I needed to but the only public toilets outside were those pay ones and had a queue a mile long.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    another excellent spraoi, credit to all involved and I hope the keyboard warriors who know whats wrong with everything put a €5 into the collection boxes, i fear some people out there are more than happy to enjoy/complain and not support anyway.
    especially liked the sierra leone refugee band down on the plaza, great to see facilities down there such as bar, food and toilets. Keeping the can drinking outside helped the friendly atmosphere.

according to WLR it seems like the Spraoi money was down this year so thats disappointing on the locals 'pulling for each other' front. people were asked for a fiver for a weekend of entertainment and came up short. We all know there is a employment problem and we all have bills, water charges, property tax but most can afford cans, drinks at Spraoi and other stuff so a few quid if not 5 is in most cases not too much to ask. i hope the festival doesnt suffer because of this, their funding from bord failte was already cut. I dont fully agree with money down due to the bad weather on saturday argument, most who didnt go saturday were in sunday if not friday. Do younger generation realise that they need to support these things, its not the same as downloading films or music from some website, this has an immediate and local effect. This is all a bit negative/disheartening but i think it is important none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Parade and fireworks were brilliant, bit annoyed by a couple of other things though.

Firstly, the "Spraoi police" shut down a non Spraoi gig at the back of the Munster Bar on Sunday. The gig had been going off without hassle from 3.00-5.30pm and was due to finish at 6.00pm when three power tripping goons in Spraoi t-shirts decided to shut it down. Of course they have absolutely no authority to do this but unfortunately the gig organisers listened to them and the music stopped. It was a fantastic setup too and there was a nice crowd gathered there. Disgraceful by Spraoi, whatever their reasoning was.

Secondly, the Plaza stage had a stupid entrance/exit system and you were not allowed to bring drink in. Of course you could buy the overpriced, warm beer on offer at €5 a pint (that looked smaller than a pint).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Parade and fireworks were brilliant, bit annoyed by a couple of other things though.

Firstly, the "Spraoi police" shut down a non Spraoi gig at the back of the Munster Bar on Sunday. The gig had been going off without hassle from 3.00-5.30pm and was due to finish at 6.00pm when three power tripping goons in Spraoi t-shirts decided to shut it down. Of course they have absolutely no authority to do this but unfortunately the gig organisers listened to them and the music stopped. It was a fantastic setup too and there was a nice crowd gathered there. Disgraceful by Spraoi, whatever their reasoning was.

Secondly, the Plaza stage had a stupid entrance/exit system and you were not allowed to bring drink in. Of course you could buy the overpriced, warm beer on offer at €5 a pint (that looked smaller than a pint).

Happened to pass by Greyfriars on Sunday, was it the DJ playing there that was stopped? If so, that's a bit harsh as it wasn't exactly interfering with any other acts and people seemed to be enjoying it.

Also, I'd have to disagree on the Plaza. I actually thought the system was quite good and I liked the fact they had some food stalls and the bar (wasn't around last Spraoi so I'm not sure if that's new to this year or not). I've often brought my own beer with me and liked that you could do it but I suppose that doesn't really get allowed with most events here these days. Realistically it did cut down on a lot of the crap I've encountered on the plaza in the last few years with drunken 16 year olds throwing cans around. It had a nice vibe to the place, especially when the sun came out it was quite relaxed. Fiver a pint is not exactly scandalous considering it's the same as most of the pubs up John St. I spent most of Sunday there and had a few pints from the bar... none of which were any way warm and they most definitely were the size of a pint, so maybe you were just unlucky. You should've handed it back and complained if that was the case.

All in all, I really enjoyed Spraoi this year. I didn't get to see as much as I'd have liked due to work but definitely credit where credit is due, the gigs, parade and fireworks were brilliant as usual and it does Waterford proud every year.

thought the no cans and entrance thing at plaza was brilliant, most are fine but usually with cans it gets messy and some bogeys get in ruining the atmosphere at best and often the safety of people there. Also, wandering around with cans in the city is just not acceptable, especially when their are kids about and to be complaining about not being able to enter an event with your cans is a bit old outdated in my opinion.

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

There was the main booth in JR Square, couple of tables and volunteers in Cathedral sq and outside Friary too. probably others too, its well publicised that they will be looking for a fiver so we should all be seeking them out, get your badge whatever. i had to shame some friends into doing it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

deise_boi wrote: »
    Happened to pass by Greyfriars on Sunday, was it the DJ playing there that was stopped? If so, that's a bit harsh as it wasn't exactly interfering with any other acts and people seemed to be enjoying it.
    Yeah that was it, like you say it wasn't intefering Spraoi and there was a good vibe there, shame they spoiled it.
    deise_boi wrote: »
    Also, I'd have to disagree on the Plaza. I actually thought the system was quite good and I liked the fact they had some food stalls and the bar (wasn't around last Spraoi so I'm not sure if that's new to this year or not). I've often brought my own beer with me and liked that you could do it but I suppose that doesn't really get allowed with most events here these days. Realistically it did cut down on a lot of the crap I've encountered on the plaza in the last few years with drunken 16 year olds throwing cans around. It had a nice vibe to the place, especially when the sun came out it was quite relaxed. Fiver a pint is not exactly scandalous considering it's the same as most of the pubs up John St. I spent most of Sunday there and had a few pints from the bar... none of which were any way warm and they most definitely were the size of a pint, so maybe you were just unlucky. You should've handed it back and complained if that was the case.
    thought the no cans and entrance thing at plaza was brilliant, most are fine but usually with cans it gets messy and some bogeys get in ruining the atmosphere at best and often the safety of people there. Also, wandering around with cans in the city is just not acceptable, especially when their are kids about and to be complaining about not being able to enter an event with your cans is a bit old outdated in my opinion.
    I totally understand all that, still think you should be allowed drink cans though, not everyone can afford pints and they had plenty of security there anyway to chuck out any trouble makers.

Yeah that was it, like you say it wasn't intefering Spraoi and there was a good vibe there, shame they spoiled it.

I totally understand all that, still think you should be allowed drink cans though, not everyone can afford pints and they had plenty of security there anyway to chuck out any trouble makers.

ditch 2/3 cans and buy a pint. Cans are just unacceptable at these things that are ran well. as for plenty of security to chuck out trouble, volunteers in couple hi-vis vests are not gardai, trouble makers will ruin it for everyone long before it gets to the point of chucking someone out anyway, ruining the good atmosphere, trashing the place, generally getting loud and bad behaviour. not everyone obviously but cans in general in Ireland will lead to messy trouble makers as you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Plaza was great over the weekend, especially on the Sun Filled Sunday. I enjoyed the wine at the bae, and huddy had a few beers, also well done to the food stalls, great burgers and hot dogs, great music, was like being at a festival without the mud and €50 cover charge. WELL DONE SPRAOI - where can i make a contribution so next year will happen as good as this year>??

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

jennygirl wrote: »
    Plaza was great over the weekend, especially on the Sun Filled Sunday. I enjoyed the wine at the bae, and huddy had a few beers...

Still enjoying?? :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Would it not be a good idea for Spraoi to set up a collection website that can be donated to at any time?

Everyone loves Spraoi and I'm sure if anyone had a fiver/tenner to spare they would give it up whenever they can. If money was donated anytime before Spraoi weekend it would give the organizers access to cash, allow people to donate at any time and would allow them to build up interest on any donations made before Spraoi weekend.

Seems like a no brainer?

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    Would it not be a good idea for Spraoi to set up a collection website that can be donated to at any time?

Everyone loves Spraoi and I'm sure if anyone had a fiver/tenner to spare they would give it up whenever they can. If money was donated anytime before Spraoi weekend it would give the organizers access to cash, allow people to donate at any time and would allow them to build up interest on any donations made before Spraoi weekend.

Seems like a no brainer?

I was thinking that. I assumed they would when they announced funding was low due to the weather but I am surprised we are still thinking it and nobody has actually done it.

The Irish Cancer Society did it for Daffodil Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PrettyRad

Spraoi's funding from Fáilte was slashed this year too, which is absolutely ridiculous, considering it's Ireland's biggest street arts festival. The organisers could have easily decided "right, let's cut an act or two, or drop a parade float to save a few bob" but instead they funnelled all funds into the festival and the poor blokes out in the studio obligingly felt the cuts instead, having to used almost all recycled materials and costumes this year (not a bad thing in the long term).

The rain did put a dampener on Saturday, but I hate to see people complaining and calling it a washout. I talked to several volunteers down there, all of whom were wonderfully pleasant, despite standing in the pouring rain without umbrellas. Most of the acts could have broken their necks if they were to perform in the rain.

I honestly applaud the organisers and every single volunteer because they managed to keep the festival going, against all odds, with a bit of rescheduling and some impromptu torann performances!

The parade was fab this year, and while there were no barriers on the quay for some readon, again the volunteers managed crowd control very well, and made conversation with us while we waited. The Gimme 5 collectors walked the entire parade route and were literally all over the city, so I don't know how one could have missed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I thought it was a great idea to have the guys walk the parade route with buckets, it really brought home to you that you were getting a nights entertainment for a donation.

I recall in one of the acts, as it finished they asked people to give the donation to the folk walking around. As soon as the thanks were given and the act was over, people scattered and not many donated despite the buckets floating around. Whether or not they had already paid, I don't know. This was on the Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

I recall in one of the acts, as it finished they asked people to give the donation to the folk walking around. As soon as the thanks were given and the act was over, people scattered and not many donated despite the buckets floating around. Whether or not they had already paid, I don't know. This was on the Sunday.

hehe that was me mate out of there like a shot thank you and good luck hehehe

hehe that was me mate out of there like a shot thank you and good luck hehehe

Next time you attempt to troll in this forum, i'll show you the exit. Second time in this thread you're acting the maggot.

Spotted in the 'Well!' magazine in the News & Star an article by Darren Skelton re: Spraoi. Should pick it up and give it a read, very fair and open article with many points.

The bulk of the article is reminding people that we shouldn't take the festival for granted, that it's providing us free entertainment and we should get behind it by giving the €5.

He mentioned a similar event to what I posted about earlier - people being asked to donate money but who refuse. You get all this free entertainment and you won't throw in a measly €5 to contribute? Poor form.

Also points out that businesses who benefit massively from Spraoi aren't contributing in anyway where they could be. Give back to the people who give you business and drive people your way. Don't just take it all and be greedy. Without it you would be worse off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Can people please stop saying it was free cause it wasn't the funds come from Failte Ireland, Arts counsil, donations etc with is funded by the taxpayer so if someone doesn't want to hand over €5 thats their prerogative. Brow beating, guilt tripping and giving out about them is poor form especially when you do know the reasons behind them not donating, not everyone has €5 to just hand over and technically they have paid already through taxes. The other thing is if someone says it was a load of cr*p then to them it was and they are entitled to their opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

spookwoman wrote: »
    Can people please stop saying it was free cause it wasn't the funds come from Failte Ireland, Arts counsil, donations etc with is funded by the taxpayer so if someone doesn't want to hand over €5 thats their prerogative. Brow beating, guilt tripping and giving out about them is poor form especially when you do know the reasons behind them not donating, not everyone has €5 to just hand over and technically they have paid already through taxes. The other thing is if someone says it was a load of cr*p then to them it was and they are entitled to their opinion.

fair commentary but I have watched the same people enjoying the show every year but they have a rat in their pocket when it comes to making a donation, ditto with Darrens article where he mentions a shop on the Quay with queues outside it every Spraoi but when asked they have consistently refused to make a donation, either of these is wrong.

spookwoman wrote: »

General taxation pay towards a lot of festivals but the festival still asks you to pay to fund the shortfall. Without it, festivals don't go ahead.

In the grand scheme of things if we calculated how many tax payers we had in the country and took into consideration how much money was given by the way of tax payers, I wonder how much each individual tax payer would have personally given to the festival? Even if we narrowed it down to all tax payers in Waterford, do you think you would have personally given €5 out of taxes?

The festival is FREE. The funding that is given to the organisers pays for a small percentage of the cost of the festival - not all of it. The festival organisers put on all these events without charging the visitor, despite being at an immediate loss from day one. The €5 donation goes a long way to meeting the full costs.

If you want to be that stingy and tight about it, it's your own 'prerogative'. Just don't complain when there is nothing on in Waterford.

• Advertisement
Advertisement