Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spraoi 2014?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Calling someone stingy and tight is a good way to stop people donating and I hope you are not representing or speaking for Spraoi or Waterford. Also no need to get nasty with someone with different views

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

spookwoman wrote: »
    Calling someone stingy and tight is a good way to stop people donating and I hope you are not representing or speaking for Spraoi or Waterford. Also no need to get nasty with someone with different views

If you think being a tax payer covers you from not donating, you're mistaken. What you personally would have donated would be so small and it still failed to cover the costs of a FREE weekend festival.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think it's crazy that someone refuses to contribute because they already got grants. In my personal view, it's the definition of stingy and tight. If you can't afford €5, fine. If you can but refuse, that's unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sully wrote: »
    If you think being a tax payer covers you from not donating, you're mistaken.

No I'm not mistaken unless there is some bylaw saying that everyone has to hand over €5 for Spraoi even if they don't like it, cant afford it don't feel it's worth it etc.
    What you personally would have donated would be so small and it still failed to cover the costs of a FREE weekend festival.

and as I keep saying the money had to come from somewhere be it funds or donations so its not FREE, no funds or donations then no Spraoi.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think it's crazy that someone refuses to contribute because they already got grants. In my personal view, it's the definition of stingy and tight. If you can't afford €5, fine. If you can but refuse, that's unfair.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but saying someone who you claim can afford to donate is narrow minded, businesses have the right to choose where their money goes, what a business makes during the weekend and that grant just might be what keeps them open for another year, force them to donate and that business closes and people loose their jobs
    Businesses in waterford are struggling with low sales and high rates, there's high unemployment, poverty, now water charges and every penny counts so going around saying people are stingy is pretty low.

I'm going to leave it at that cause there seems to be only one point of view allowed and if you are not with it then its down to name calling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Why don't they video the whole thing and then sell DVDs? Plenty of people here and abroad would buy and that would earn some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Always thought it would be a good idea for Spraoi to set up a donation fund, where people could donate when they can or people could set up a direct debit and donate €1/€2 from their wage each week.

It all boils down to affordability for folk, although I'm fairly strapped for cash I made it my business to donate what I could at Spraoi as I believe it is the best/one of the best festivals in Ireland.

The work and effort that goes into the festival is amazing and everyone involved should take bow especially after the cuts to their funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Max Powers wrote: »
    There was the main booth in JR Square, couple of tables and volunteers in Cathedral sq and outside Friary too. probably others too, its well publicised that they will be looking for a fiver so we should all be seeking them out, get your badge whatever. i had to shame some friends into doing it last year.

While I agree it's well-publicised with posters and some of the acts mentioning it, I actually found it more difficult to donate this year than before. It turns out I had walked right past the little table they had in Cathedral Square and at no stage did I see anyone walking around with the collection buckets except before the parade. Now, I did seek someone out and gave my donation but, other years, I'd usually end up donating a few times over the weekend.

Was there even a stand on the plaza? I didn't see one there either. Considering the effort that went into the plaza stage and the amount of people it attracted, I'd imagine this would be a good idea. Maybe there was and I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PrettyRad

My dad used to always give out stink about the Gimme 5 campaign, telling me that they get huge amounts of funds from the government and have no need for extra money. After talking to a lovely collector, turns out he's been completely wrong all these years. The funds they get from Fáilte Ireland are NOT enough to cover everything- studio employees' wages, parade materials, publicity, volunteer tee-shirts, performers' payments, etc...the organisers have a hell of a lot of money to pay out every year, and STILL they make a point of keeping the festival entirely free.

If somebody chooses to not donate, that's their decision, they probably have a legit reason not to. But they then don't have the right to call the festival a 'washout' (which I've seen a lot this year) or complain because they weren't allowed cans on the Plaza. If you don't contribute then you get NO say in how the festival runs.

The festival is entirely free for the public @spookwoman, the definition of free being "without cost or payment"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

this whole whether or not to donate argument is pure ridic, doesn't matter how much they get off the government, a few more euro would make things much easier for them and make the festival better. i bet ye're the kinda people that leave their tray on the table because "f*ck that its somebodys job to clean it up"

Advertisement