Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this aggression "normal"? MOD WARNING: read post #219

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Panrich wrote: »
    Not really the case. A car can accelerate from 40 to 80kph quicker than from 10 to 50kph due to inertia and in less space consequently
    pedant hat on here - i doubt that inertia plays a role in cars being able to accelerate differently at different speeds, as inertial mass remains constant at non-relativistic velocities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

office.ie wrote: »
    I have to say in general there is no room for cyclists to ride 2 a breast go single file ,interested in what the actual law on this is

If only there was a thread on the internet where you could find that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I have to say in general there is no room for cyclists to ride 2 a breast go single file ,interested in what the actual law on this is

Having never been to general I will have to take your word for it. I wonder if it's like Beijing with all those nine million bicycles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You're right but only because there is a distinct lack of breasts to ride to........that's why a lot of people out for a cycle ride to a cafe......less likely to get you in trouble with the missus and the milk is more palatable (which is not to say I have a full basis for comparison)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

Some cyclists on here really take this two abreast approach to be total black and white... there are plenty of situations where moving to single file on Irish roads is actually safer in my opinion and is just more considerate to other road users.. to take the approach that the law states XY&Z and that is final, all of the time is just being a d1ck. Some motorists will hurl abuse/blow their horn at us cyclists regardless of the situation because they are just arseholes with a bad attitude or are just looking to wind you up, I just ignore all of them and enjoy my spin, life is too short.... but a certain amount of the bad attitude is being created by cyclists themselves who are too full of self importance and need to grow up a little

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD WARNING: The next person to post without having read the thread completely gets a holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Back to the agression ...
    I was cycling from Bray into town on the N11 at the weekend. The roads were quiet. It was 730 in the evening.

There is a cycle lane but I wasn't in it as it's in very poor condition.
    I heard a few beeps behind me and had a quick look.
    An out of service Dublin Bus and the driver gesturing at the lane.
    I was going downhill at the time and doing about 40 - 45km.
    He beeped a few more times then overtook and swerved in to cut me off.
    I'd to hit the brakes.

He'd more than enough space to overtake my as the other two lanes were incredibly quiet.
    Felt a bit unnerved after it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD WARNING: The next person to post without having read the thread completely gets a holiday

I hope the flight path of said holiday doesn't go near Israeli airspace...

*awaits paddling*

mathie wrote: »
    I was cycling from Bray into town on the N11 at the weekend. The roads were quiet. It was 730 in the evening.

I'd to hit the brakes.

He'd more than enough space to overtake my as the other two lanes were incredibly quiet.

Did you get the reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Did you get the reg?

Unfortunately no.

Afterwards I thought I should have gone into Donnybrook garage where I could possibly have tracked it down.

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I hope the flight path of said holiday doesn't go near Israeli airspace...

*awaits paddling*

I knew someone would ask where they are going, I was trying to think of a witty retort but all I that sprung to mind was the dumping line delivered with panache by my ex "Welcome to dumpsville, population: you", I thought she was joking, she was not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

mathie wrote: »

I'd to hit the brakes.

There were threads down the years about shenanigans like this. "Punishment Passes" I think was the accepted phrase. I think a couple of people went to the trouble of making a complaint to Dublin Bus. I don't think they got much further than DB saying that they have reviewed the tape and will reprimand the driver. However, if you only knew the number on the bus it may be worth sending a letter, as it is scary to think that it could be the same nutter, or group of nutters trying this nonsense while in control of a bus after they had been warned about not doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Re the close pass if the bus. Report it with as much info as you can. As it was out of service and at a quiet time of the evening like as not the garage know what vehicles would be moving in that approx location. Buses have cctv so it can be downloaded and viewed.
    I had an experience (whilst driving a car) along Grove Road where a driver tailgated / drove like an Ass the length of the canal.
    I only had an approx year / type of bus (it was an 06 plate and either an out of service 75 or 16. Told them where I 1st saw it what it did and where I lost sight of it.
    Got a couple of emails then 3 months on got an email from the Oos manager at Donnybrook. Very sorry they did locate the driver and have dealt with the matter. I left it there.
    So the above is a long way of saying report it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Ive recently started to cycle a bit - Doctors orders - Fat git etc etc.. but I find 99.9% of drivers corteous and patient with me when I'm out and about on the roads.

its just that one gob will wreck it for all. I see an odd bit of argy bargy but you are better to let an aggressive driver off and dont interact. That person could be having a bad day or even worse got bad news and is just not themselves.

I got tailgated years ago while driving along so I pulled in a bit - the driver of the other car a Passat looked really shaken. I was alongside him at the next set of lights and put my window down and asked him calmly was everything ok.. he said he was sorry and welled up and said he had gotton bad news .. What could I say but just try and take it easy.. that it wasnt worth having a smash over - no matter how bad.. i was a bit shook myself after wards and thought - I hope that poor git will be ok...

You never know what is happening with people at any given time so I always try and keep calm and think back to that poor sod...

As for the driver of that DB - He is in control of a 10 ton piece of machinery and should have more savvy.. Report him I say...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not that it has any moral or illuminates the debate in any way, but even with cycling less than two foot from the side of the road, on a stretch of road with about half a mile visibility ahead, i was overtaken by a car today, into the path of an oncoming motorcyclist who had to fairly slam on the brakes to avoid a collision.
    i remember thinking that if there had been two cyclists riding side by side, the car may not have attempted the overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. There's an interesting technique for walking through an oncoming crowd where if you look above people's heads they subconsciously move out of your way.

On reflection I'd agree with you. Eye contact is more of an urban thing. What I kind of meant to say was looking behind and "noting" the car etc behind you. I think that is a good thing.

At least they know, that you know, they are there. It's a huge benefit IMO.

I've only gone out with someone once and they never acknowledged the traffic behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

My concern is that all the vitriol against cyclists by the Irish Times and the Dailymail will lead idiots like this young driver to think things like this are cool:

2r2ruch.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

She appears to have deleted that now and apologised. I guess she got a little bit more attention than she wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

On reflection I'd agree with you. Eye contact is more of an urban thing. What I kind of meant to say was looking behind and "noting" the car etc behind you. I think that is a good thing

MostDeff! If a cyclists turns around, it's as obvious as an indicator that he/she is about to maneuver. Time to ease off and wait for a signal or something to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Again last night I could see a person walking up ahead and some idiot speeds up and overtakes me too fast and too close then he slams on the brakes and indicates to overtake the person walking.
    What the hell is going through these morons heads and what makes them decide that a pedestrian is worth overtaking with caution and a cyclist not ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

I contacted RSA yesterday about the same issue using this form. I think its a really big problem here.

http://rsa.ie/Utility/Contact-Us/Feedback/

mamax wrote: »
    What the hell is going through these morons heads and what makes them decide that a pedestrian is worth overtaking with caution and a cyclist not ?

Headlines in papers, hit a cyclist and the general feeling is what could the cyclist have done to avoid it eg not cycle, be in the ditch, not be in the motorist way. Hit a pedestrian and you are not paying attention, speeding and it makes some particularly nasty headlines, also the fact that everyone can relate to being a pedestrian, not everyone can relate to being a cyclist apparently.

Found this helmetcam video on YouTube. Cars turns across cyclist, causing a collision. Cyclist manages somehow to land on his feet. Comments seen elsewhere suggest that the driver disputed liability with the insurance company. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

No Pants wrote: »
    Found this helmetcam video on YouTube. Cars turns across cyclist, causing a collision. Cyclist manages somehow to land on his feet. Comments seen elsewhere suggest that the driver disputed liability with the insurance company. :eek:

Looks like poor judgement on the part of the driver more than out and out aggression.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

No Pants wrote: »

had the exact same thing happen me as a teenager, except the driver was a garda on his lunchbreak returning to the station. remember thinking as i was helped up that the boys in blue got there very fast, took a while to realise he was the driver. his fault too, he was turning right across the road i was travelling down .

TonyStark wrote: »
    Looks like poor judgement on the part of the driver more than out and out aggression.
    I don't think it was either, driver error. Sorry, I didn't make that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I have just started cycling for health and exercise and have to say I've seen some and had near misses since starting about 8 weeks ago. I cycle and drive with the idea there are others on the road and i have to think of them and not cause problems. Narrow road and continuous white line I wouldn't go 2 abreast and TBH not fair on drivers if you are not going that fast. The other thing about 2 abreast and groups people need to be able to cycle in a straight line and have experience of breaking etc and also be aware of those behind. Was in a group of people just staring off and christ it was a nightmare with people slamming on brakes for no reason, wobbling and not keeping up with the person beside them. That same night had a hell of a lot of cars beep etc because of the cyclists lack of experience and awareness of their surrounding.
    As for drivers I've had them stop on a cycle lane to chat on their phone and just as I get level they decide to pull out while still on the phone. Another great one is the roundabout that have the altered lanes so if you're on the right lane going straight on they will undertake you on the inside and are determined to get past even if your getting off the roundabout. Women in mini's are the worst. Any time I've has some gob***** do something I usually roar some obscenity.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Narrow road and continuous white line I wouldn't go 2 abreast and TBH not fair on drivers if you are not going that fast.

Not fair on the cyclist if the driver think it is OK to squeeze past on a continuous white line and then meets another car coming the other direction. I am not sure about others but I don't do it to be a dick, I do it because (despite what even i thought about it, I used to do the same), after looking at the reasons and the explanations, it would be dangerous not too stay two abreast in most situations. If a driver did not give time for any possible obstructions on the road, he didn't leave early enough, my safety trumps their lateness.

a continuous white is painted on a narrow road for a reason - it means do not cross the white line because the conditions do not allow you to move into the oncoming lane due to lack of visibility.
    if a motorist has to move into the oncoming lane to overtake a single cyclist, they are performing a risky manouevre, endangering the cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

a continuous white is painted on a narrow road for a reason - it means do not cross the white line because the conditions do not allow you to move into the oncoming lane due to lack of visibility.
    I think there are exceptions for overtaking "obstructions". I don't what what the legal interpretation of that is.

Advertisement