Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this aggression "normal"? MOD WARNING: read post #219

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Road traffic Act 1964..

Continuous white lines
    9. An authorised continuous white line along the centre of a roadway shall indicate that traffic must drive to the left of the line, and when on a stretch of roadway on which such a line has been provided a driver shall, save for the purpose of entering or leaving land or premises adjoining the right hand side of that roadway, drive to the left of the line

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html#zzsi294y1964a9

• Registered Users Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Road traffic Act 1964..

Continuous white lines
    9. An authorised continuous white line along the centre of a roadway shall indicate that traffic must drive to the left of the line, and when on a stretch of roadway on which such a line has been provided a driver shall, save for the purpose of entering or leaving land or premises adjoining the right hand side of that roadway, drive to the left of the line

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html#zzsi294y1964a9

...which also states:

"Application of bye-laws
    5.—(1) These bye-laws shall apply save where compliance therewith is not possible by reason solely of road-works, building operations or an obstruction to traffic, or because of an emergency suddenly confronting a driver, pedal-cyclist or pedestrian which he could not reasonably have been expected to anticipate."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

But a cyclist can be classed as an obstruction and people have been known to get failed for not overtaking cyclists when there is a continuous white line. Its basically using a bit of common sense and curtsy overtake when its safe to do so. Like horses on the main road your are not expected to travel behind a horse for 5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

spookwoman wrote: »
    But a cyclist can be classed as an obstruction and people have been known to get failed for not overtaking cyclists when there is a continuous white line. Its basically using a bit of common sense and curtsy overtake when its safe to do so. Like horses on the main road your are not expected to travel behind a horse for 5km.

It's a case of the glass half full or empty. Before a jury on any given day, 6 would prosecute and 6 would acquit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Lumen wrote: »
    ...which also states:

"Application of bye-laws
    5.—(1) These bye-laws shall apply save where compliance therewith is not possible by reason solely of road-works, building operations or an obstruction to traffic, or because of an emergency suddenly confronting a driver, pedal-cyclist or pedestrian which he could not reasonably have been expected to anticipate."

Yep i knew once i posted someone would find that bit for me thanks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You don't get failed for not overtaking (whether it's a bike, bus or tractor) - you get failed for not making adequate progress.....

From the RSA
    The following are the most common reasons why people fail driving tests:
    • Inadequate observation moving off, at junctions, at roundabouts and when changing lanes
    • Failure to anticipate the actions of other drivers
    • Incorrect road position on the straight, on bends, turning left, turning right, at roundabouts, and when overtaking
    • Inadequate progress at junctions, roundabouts, on the straight, and when overtaking
    • Incorrect or inadequate use of mirrors and signals
    • Non-compliance with traffic controls, eg road signs and markings and traffic lights
    • Incorrect, inadequate or inappropriate use of vehicle controls, including gears, clutch, accelerator, steering, handbrake, footbrake, and secondary controls
    • Excessive speed for the road or traffic conditions
    • Failure to yield the right of way to others
    • Lack of competence in the reverse and U-turn manoeuvres

The much quoted Rules of the Road are pretty clear on the point of the continuous white line.....
    All traffic must keep to the left of the line (except in an emergency or for access).

Incidentally if a cyclist (or cyclists) is moving how can they be an obstruction?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

I have just started cycling for health and exercise and have to say I've seen some and had near misses since starting about 8 weeks ago. I cycle and drive with the idea there are others on the road and i have to think of them and not cause problems. Narrow road and continuous white line I wouldn't go 2 abreast and TBH not fair on drivers if you are not going that fast. The other thing about 2 abreast and groups people need to be able to cycle in a straight line and have experience of breaking etc and also be aware of those behind. Was in a group of people just staring off and christ it was a nightmare with people slamming on brakes for no reason, wobbling and not keeping up with the person beside them. That same night had a hell of a lot of cars beep etc because of the cyclists lack of experience and awareness of their surrounding.
    As for drivers I've had them stop on a cycle lane to chat on their phone and just as I get level they decide to pull out while still on the phone. Another great one is the roundabout that have the altered lanes so if you're on the right lane going straight on they will undertake you on the inside and are determined to get past even if your getting off the roundabout. Women in mini's are the worst. Any time I've has some gob***** do something I usually roar some obscenity.

What is that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

mathie wrote: »
    What is that?

In general there are the rules for approaching a roundabout and what lanes to take but in some cases, generally larger ones, the council have decided that that they will change the usual lane for traffic so on a roundabout with 3 lanes coming in you might have a left only, straight or right and a right only (or some random variation that half the idiots on the road can't seem to follow), rather than the typical unmarked roundabout where left lane is for left or straight on and the right lane is for turning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

But a cyclist can be classed as an obstruction

An obstruction is a hole in the road, or a collapsed tree, not a bicyclist! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

How about a collapsed cyclist?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Can anyone explain why after the council spent thousands of taxpayer money on a cycle way between Ennistymon and Lahinch you cyclists still choose to cycle on the road? I had reason to be on that road a few times last weekend and not once did I see anyone cycling on the cycle path but there were lots of cyclists on the road. I've mentioned it to a few locals and the shrug & just say they seem to prefer the road!
    I'm not a cyclists but just very curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Callan57 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why after the council spent thousands of taxpayer money on a cycle way between Ennistymon and Lahinch you cyclists still choose to cycle on the road? I had reason to be on that road a few times last weekend and not once did I see anyone cycling on the cycle path but there were lots of cyclists on the road. I've mentioned it to a few locals and the shrug & just say they seem to prefer the road!

I've never cycled it, so it wasn't me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Can anyone explain why after the council spent thousands of taxpayer money on a cycle way between Ennistymon and Lahinch you cyclists still choose to cycle on the road?

Surely a better question for the council, why would they spend ( not invest) that money without consulting, let's say, some cyclists? I know we are not a homogeneous group but even asking commuters and leisure cyclists in the area with a survey, or even the local cycling club? Who did they consult before wasting our money?

Raam wrote: »
    I've never cycled it, so it wasn't me.

not me either.....

......just a guess, but perhaps not every cyclist wants to go to either Lahinch or Ennistymon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

We don't like the colour of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Can anyone explain why after the council spent thousands of taxpayer money on a cycle way between Ennistymon and Lahinch you cyclists still choose to cycle on the road?

We had a meeting and decided unanimously to boycott it until they build another one from Lahinch to Ennistymon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I can't find a single image of the cycle path but looking at the road I have to asked:

Is this a cycleway / cycle path or a shared footpath?
    How wide is it?
    How does it start and end?
    How is it designed where it crosses junctions and the many driveways along the route?

monument wrote: »
    I can't find a single image of the cycle path but looking at the road I have to asked:

How wide is it?
    How is it designed where it crosses junctions and the many driveways along the route?

It's 4km long and cost €400k!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

monument wrote: »

How wide is it?

It's a shared cycle/footpath afaik

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Jawgap wrote: »
    It's 4km long and cost €400k!

Fully signalised pedestrian crossings can cost €100k, so €400k for a 4km shared path which likely includes reworking and redoing the roadway a bit, sadly, does not sound all that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

It smells of fart.

I've a question for you; how come Lewis Hamilton never eats broccoli?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the council ****ed up the design, so it manages to be uphill running east, *and* uphill running west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

CramCycle wrote: »
    In general there are the rules for approaching a roundabout and what lanes to take but in some cases, generally larger ones, the council have decided that that they will change the usual lane for traffic so on a roundabout with 3 lanes coming in you might have a left only, straight or right and a right only (or some random variation that half the idiots on the road can't seem to follow), rather than the typical unmarked roundabout where left lane is for left or straight on and the right lane is for turning right.

A long time ago a colleague of mine suggested that the only way to teach Irish drivers lane discipline on roundabouts would be a Gun enplacement operated by cyclists...

I regularly come through multi-lane roundabouts on my route home and I don't believe more than 10% of Irish drivers know what lane they should be in, when they should indicate to turn and when they should move into the outside lane.

(re-reading that, a desire to take an FN into the middle of a roundabout could, under certain circumstances, be construed as abnormal aggression, but it's for their own good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

Coming out of my driveway I can not see what is coming along the path due to pillar. The footpath is very inviting to a cyclist as its is on a kind of a crest of a small hill. I edge out inch by inch in the event of a cyclist cycling down the path. All it would take is the smallest of touches and there is an accident.

No need to walk out to the path first to check if anyone is coming because by the time I get in my car someone could already be on the way. I am a motorist chiefly and the liability is on me as I understand it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Coming out of my driveway I can not see what is coming along the path due to pillar. The footpath is very inviting to a cyclist as its is on a kind of a crest of a small hill. I edge out inch by inch in the event of a cyclist cycling down the path. All it would take is the smallest of touches and there is an accident.

No need to walk out to the path first to check if anyone is coming because by the time I get in my car someone could already be on the way. I am a motorist chiefly and the liability is on me as I understand it?
    Lower the pillar?

Or fit one of those mirrors that will give you a view?

RainyDay wrote: »
    Lower the pillar?

Or fit one of those mirrors that will give you a view?

It is in fact more than the pillar, it is the pillar and the garden and whole front wall in fact . When I exit I have to edge out and look sharp left. The hill means that the front wall gets bigger and bigger as you go up the hill making it impossible to see anybody until they are just there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

It is in fact more than the pillar, it is the pillar and the garden and whole front wall in fact . When I exit I have to edge out and look sharp left. The hill means that the front wall gets bigger and bigger as you go up the hill making it impossible to see anybody until they are just there.

I guess you need some mirrors so.

RainyDay wrote: »
    I guess you need some mirrors so.

Mirrors would not work. The pillar is on my left. Also, anything attached would not last long. It would be ripped off in ten minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Mirrors would not work. The pillar is on my left. Also, anything attached would not last long. It would be ripped off in ten minutes.

Toot your horn and flash your lights like a lunatic as you pull out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Also, anything attached would not last long. It would be ripped off in ten minutes.

Do you live in bear country?

Advertisement