Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Serious clown he is

Ireland can't be that broke so.. The funds seem to be there, they just spent it in the wrong way IMO..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

carzony wrote: »
    Ireland can't be that broke so.. The funds seem to be there, they just spent it in the wrong way IMO..

Think that's an argument for another day overpaid chauffeur driven list goes on....but that's bolitics for you

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seanog84

Hey guys, just wanted to know, if someone was a member of the RDF would they be ineligible to join the GR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

seanog84 wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wanted to know, if someone was a member of the RDF would they be ineligible to join the GR?

As far as I'm concerned, yes they are ineligible

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

D Trent wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, yes they are ineligible

you must resign from the RDF in order to take up as a GR

you may stay on in Civ Def or order of malta etc

but a member of the Defence Forces cannot be simultaneously a member of An Garda Siochana and vice verse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 seanog84

Yeah im with the civil defence and would be keen to keep it on if I do eventually get into the GR, but at the mo from what im hearing, the chances of getting into the GR in the next year or 2 are slim with the lack of recruitment, and with the RDF taking on now it would also be something I'd be interested in, I just didnt know where id stand with GR if I did go down that road

seanog84 wrote: »
    Yeah im with the civil defence and would be keen to keep it on if I do eventually get into the GR, but at the mo from what im hearing, the chances of getting into the GR in the next year or 2 are slim with the lack of recruitment, and with the RDF taking on now it would also be something I'd be interested in, I just didnt know where id stand with GR if I did go down that road
    On the plus side you would be getting paid if you opted for RDF over GR

On the plus side you would be getting paid if you opted for RDF over GR

but the RDF are always in reserve

GR's are as frontline as it comes

Scouser wrote: »
    but the RDF are always in reserve

GR's are as frontline as it comes

But is that a good thing? GRs get the same level of abuse as full timers getting called pigs and garda scum etc. Respect for AGS has diminished, it is non-existent

But is that a good thing? GRs get the same level of abuse as full timers getting called pigs and garda scum etc. Respect for AGS has diminished, it is non-existent

its a great thing being on the frontline

abuse is to be expected unfortunately and is quite common. Most of it is drunken drivel or plain ignorance.

it has yet to keep me awake at night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

i finished my final meeting with the inspector he said he was recommending me for the reserves so waiting on the medical now 2 months and wanted to know if i would be doing the medical this year or is everything being put on hold till next year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mr. Talk

I am 19 years old and would like to apply. I am in my final year of a BA degree. Has it been unheard of for people my age to be accepted?

Mr. Talk wrote: »
    I am 19 years old and would like to apply. I am in my final year of a BA degree. Has it been unheard of for people my age to be accepted?

How's things, I just turned 20 and applied when I was 18 I had my interview and test passed them. Some time later I was called to my local station had meetings with the Sargent and then a few weeks later the inspector he told me he wants more young people in the reserves he said it's great to see. I'm now 4 months waiting for a medical so I expect to hear back soon.
    It is a long process and if you apply now you could be waiting at least 6 months maybe more for an interview then it's all a waiting game until your medical which could be 2 years after you apply.
    Hope this helped and best of luck

coolock94 wrote: »
    How's things, I just turned 20 and applied when I was 18 I had my interview and test passed them. Some time later I was called to my local station had meetings with the Sargent and then a few weeks later the inspector he told me he wants more young people in the reserves he said it's great to see. I'm now 4 months waiting for a medical so I expect to hear back soon.
    It is a long process and if you apply now you could be waiting at least 6 months maybe more for an interview then it's all a waiting game until your medical which could be 2 years after you apply.
    Hope this helped and best of luck
    Thank for that! How did you do so well in you interview at such a young age? I spoke to a student garda and he told me that he they prefer to see candidates who have "life experience".

Thank for that! How did you do so well in you interview at such a young age? I spoke to a student garda and he told me that he they prefer to see candidates who have "life experience".

Just to be clear you are posting in the Garda Reserve recruitment forum which is separate to the Garda Recruitment forum.
    Coolock94 has passed his interview for the position of Reserve Garda which is a voluntary unpaid position.

like d trent said i passed for the reserves...
    the reserves recruit anyone over the age of 18 so if you show your committed then you have a good chance.
    i had just passed a diploma course in policing and also an emergency first aid course. i also done a week of work experience with the airport police in dublin. this showed i had an interest and would see it through.

There is a lot of talk about "voluntary work". I am an officer in my Students' Union, and I am captain of one the university sports clubs. Would that count?

It would help but the best thing you can do is community work the reserves is all community based and anything you do in your local community would stand for you. The question they ask are what do you do in your local community ?
    I volunteer as a Barman in my local sports club and I am a coach in my local pitch and putt club so anything local will stand for you.

Has anyone applied for the Garda Reserve in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

There is a lot of talk about "voluntary work". I am an officer in my Students' Union, and I am captain of one the university sports clubs. Would that count?

Perfect. 'Community' is a much broader term than just the 'local' area as the user below suggests. Involvement in the student body is great. That is a whole community in itself. It shows you get involved just like the example the poster below has given. He just chose to get involved in a different aspect of community work. His example is in no way superior to yours as he suggests.
    coolock94 wrote: »
    It would help but the best thing you can do is community work the reserves is all community based and anything you do in your local community would stand for you. The question they ask are what do you do in your local community ?
    I volunteer as a Barman in my local sports club and I am a coach in my local pitch and putt club so anything local will stand for you.

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »
    Perfect. 'Community' is a much broader term than just the 'local' area as the user below suggests. Involvement in the student body is great. That is a whole community in itself. It shows you get involved just like the example the poster below has given. He just chose to get involved in a different aspect of community work. His example is in no way superior to yours as he suggests.
    That's what I taught. I live in a remote area, so there is not really much to get involved in there. I am going to fill in my interview application now. Some people have said they were waiting 5 weeks to be called for an interview while others said they were waiting 6 months! Can anyone clarify on this. Personally I hope is 6 months because it gives me time to build up my C.V. I am applying in Galway if that helps.

Rothmans wrote: »
    Not trying to be superior to anyone, just giving examples of what I done to get this far.

It all depends on the demand in your area as far as I know. Being from dublin there is demand but that also leads to a waiting list so might be different for Galway

I have a uncle and first cousin who were recently convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol. Is this bad news for my application? I assume everyone has at least one family member who has been before the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

The uncle may be a problem , not your cousin though .but wont stop u getting in they may just bring it up

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP

That's what I taught. I live in a remote area, so there is not really much to get involved in there. I am going to fill in my interview application now. Some people have said they were waiting 5 weeks to be called for an interview while others said they were waiting 6 months! Can anyone clarify on this. Personally I hope is 6 months because it gives me time to build up my C.V. I am applying in Galway if that helps.

I was on the phone to the Reserve office and the appointments office 2 days ago and both women I was talking to stated that there is no interview schedule for the foreseeable future due to the intake of full time trainees. Sorry to break the bad news, I'm waiting nearly a year for my interview

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I have a uncle and first cousin who were recently convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol. Is this bad news for my application? I assume everyone has at least one family member who has been before the courts.

Why would anyone with a sense of family loyalty wish to do voluntary work for an organisation that would discriminate in this fashion?

Why would anyone with a sense of family loyalty wish to do voluntary work for an organisation that would discriminate in this fashion?
    First of all I don't condone drinking and driving and Second I rarely speak to my uncle and cousin. In fact I only see him once every 2-3 years.
    I am sure there is a lot of people in this country who have had a relation before the courts. Am I to blame for the wrongdoings of another?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

First of all I don't condone drinking and driving and Second I rarely speak to my uncle and cousin. In fact I only see him once every 2-3 years.
    I am sure there is a lot of people in this country who have had a relation before the courts. Am I to blame for the wrongdoings of another?

Of course you are not to blame for the 'wrongdoing of others', thats precisely my point. I presume your uncle & cousin paid whatever penalty was imposed on them so why therefore should any organisation take a dim view of your application?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Is there going to be an intake in september does any1 know for sure ?

Advertisement