Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Want2b i rang about finding the dates for next year and they will know in the next 2 - 3 weeks

Just found out the the allowance that is payed to the garda R , is now being taxed ,thats the biggest load of bull**** ever >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Just found out the the allowance that is payed to the garda R , is now being taxed ,thats the biggest load of bull**** ever >:(

How can that be they said in the budget that it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

any link to this info you have?

This is what a mate sent me , because he was thinking of goin for it , the updated public jobs advert >> http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/105.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

This is what a mate sent me , because he was thinking of goin for it , the updated public jobs advert >> http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/105.htm

The allowance received by Reserve members is the net amount after tax.

the tax is paid on the GRs behalf

Ok cool , Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gall1

Hi guys/GRs
    I left this forum and subject in 2011 when I was unsuccessful with my application.
    I passed the exam and sat with the super in the public office of my local Garda station and all went well. I pretty much had the reserve
    in the bag. Until I was asked to drop back in to see the super in regards to one of my brothers who is continuously in trouble. (Drug problem) I don't associate with him and haven't since. The Super didn't see this as a problem as he was very happy with my character.
    My application went quiet for weeks until I received a letter from a assistant commissioner advising my application was unsuccessful. No reason was given but it was obvious to me and understandable. Now I want to apply again. But am I wasting my time. Would be nice to get a heads up before I enter the Process again. Has anyone had a similar experience or can any GRs give advice on any experience they or their colleagues may have had. Thanks In advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

I think they are stopping the interviews for a while . Was told this by a friend who rang on Monday

Sorry I am wrong they have stopped taking applications since January 19th. Must be a long list too go on

• Advertisement

thesamster wrote: »
    Sorry I am wrong they have stopped taking applications since January 19th. Must be a long list too go on

My friend applied on Wednesday last so they are still taking applications.

Good ... Just going on what I was told . He said he was told they were not taking applications for a while to ring back in a few weeks . I'll pass on your comment and see what happens .

Good ... Just going on what I was told . He said he was told they were not taking applications for a while to ring back in a few weeks . I'll pass on your comment and see what happens .

Maybe they have stopped doing interviews for awhile, I think the reserve force is nearly at its Max now.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

The overall strenght of the reserve is very close to the 10% of the regular (1300 GRs) but dont lose hope there are a number of people leaving the Reserve for various reasons so over the next year they will be recruiting again

I have my fingers and toes crossed for training this year ,haha , Keeping the hope Raider190. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I have my fingers and toes crossed for training this year ,haha , Keeping the hope Raider190. :)

Hope you get a date runner,
    I'm waiting on a date for training myself!

I rang HQ and they said march is the next intake into the college,
    I hope to god there is another intake in the summer cos march is my busy time at work

I hope we both get it man :D i have to have my medical yet , but keepin the hope , i 100% wont be in that one but if theres one at the end of summer i might get in there maybe :P

How many in each class and how many intakes a year. Waiting on the back ground check to be cleared . Hope it's soon

I think its 3/4 intakes a year but not 100% on that. ya same as Thesamster hope mine will be cleared soon to .

Not bad odds so for some time this year . if the checks go well for us

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Not bad odds so for some time this year . if the checks go well for us

It will lads keep the faith if it's meant for you it won't pass you by

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I applied back in October or November, they still haven't made contact yet? Anybody any idea as to why that may be?

you could be waiting til april or may yet , i didnt get a call till 6 months after i applied .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishlad26

Hey,

I was wondering if somebody could give me some advice?

I was just wondering I went in and met the inspector after the Sargent in my local station, I was in there for five minutes talked about the season and how I was getting on and said I just need to put a face to the name and he's happy enough and wished me luck when I get in....

Is that it? Do you get a letter saying you've passed and or do they just contact you with a date for your medical, what type if correspondence do you get? I met the inspector in December and haven't heard anything since?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishlad26

I applied back in October or November, they still haven't made contact yet? Anybody any idea as to why that may be?

I applied in October I had my test in November and met the Sargent the first week of December and the inspector on the 23rd of December

I think it all depends on the area you are applying from and the number of applicants from that area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

A dodgy decision by the Minister

Why are the defence forces recruiting 500 from the reserve and the gards aren't?

Shatter says "they are a vital part of the community and they're experience will do well in there full time careers?"

What kind of BS is this all about that's what the garda reserve was built on yet we didn't get a chance like that!

Apparently garda reserves get due recognition for service but no that's a drop in the water compared to the RDF who got 500 positions made available for them to fill!

how comes he didn't make this happen when the gards recruited full-time instead you had 25,000 the majority of which didn't bother the their backside applying for the reserve because they never made an effort?

Typical!!

(Not knocking the army I've a military family)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Why are the army recruiting 500 and garda only 300?? More garda are needed than army personnel..

I think it could be because a lot more of the general public would be intrested in joining garda than army perhaps? It's a major kick in the teeth though.. For whatever reason the government are constantly sticking the 2 fingers up at the garda and giving the army every resource IMO..

carzony wrote: »
    Why are the army recruiting 500 and garda only 300?? More garda are needed than army personnel..

I think it could be because a lot more of the general public would be intrested in joining garda than army perhaps? It's a major kick in the teeth though.. For whatever reason the government are constantly sticking the 2 fingers up at the garda and giving the army every resource IMO..

The army require 900 soldiers, 500 off which will be transitioned from their reserve force 400 from civilian population

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

900? Ah here now, Why are the garda getting such a small recruitment drive now so? If anything 900 guards should be recruited asap. When will these army lads be needed? this year? I have a mate who said he is gonna apply

I really do wonder what world Alan Shatter lives in..

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    900? Ah here now, Why are the garda getting such a small recruitment drive now so? If anything 900 guards should be recruited asap. When will these army lads be needed? this year? I have a mate who said he is gonna apply

I really do wonder what world Alan Shatter lives in..

Serious numpty he is he'll properly send them on a peace keeping mission in Ukraine or somewhere like that.

There due to start this year and enter training in July as far as I know

Advertisement