Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I loved him! Really added to the games especially the ****e one!

Some of the one liners were brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

He should have coaching to remove any trace of a disgusting regional accent. Sickening.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If I hear you badmouth Kerr again, I'll give you a good hoosh in the ribs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Kerr's my favorite RTE commentator.He obviously knows his stuff,has a nice dry sense of humor and doesn't have the bland middle class Dublin or slightly bogger-ish accent that is usually a prerequisite for employment in by our glorious state broadcaster.

Please tell me you are joking and that all those thanks are just people being ironic. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Had to switch over to BBC, it was too painful. But on a different note, all these license fees and they couldn't even send someone over to Brazil? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

He's class. Best commentator at RTE, knows his stuff and genuinely enjoys watching football unlike Ray Houghton, one of the worst commentators to have to listen to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You can take the man out of the League of Ireland but you can't take the League of Ireland out of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Kerr is hands down the best co-commentator and vastly vastly superior to Ray Houghton (cannot stand this man)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Kerr is brilliant. Anybody bad mouthing him needs a kick in the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Kerr is hands down the best co-commentator and vastly vastly superior to Ray Houghton (cannot stand this man)

How soon we forget who put the ball in the English net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

How soon we forget who put the ball in the English net.

Shoudl have clarified on commentary, I know nothing of him as a man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,540 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I like his sense of humour, and even though don't really like the accent much, it suits the jokes he makes.

More importantly though, he is a very good and knowledgeable analyst who is far more familiar with the teams and players he's watching than the old stalwarts of Giles or Dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Love Brian Kerr! During the Brazil v Netherlands match when a player called Maxwell committed a bad foul he said "at least he didn't use a silver hammer!":D

Bahaha, that's actually brilliant :P

That said I still opted for the I want to hurt someone option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Kerr is terrible. His grating accent might be bearable if he would STFU for five seconds. He doesn't relent; even as the action heats up on screen he won't pause to comment on it, if he's started an anecdote about his footballing days well, come hell or high water, he's going to finish it.

He fumbles over players names (yes, it is his job as commentator to know how to pronounce them) and doesn't seem to know whether Stephen Alkin is agreeing with him or not half the time. It's like he's baffled by the whole thing.

I'm quite sure he has a decent footballing mind but his footballing mouth needs a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

There are times he seems quite knowledgeable, other times he talks the most absurd nonsense.

It took my a good 30 minutes of the 3rd place playoff match before I was absolutely certain it was him commentating and not the après match crowd doing a parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lot of snobbery about in here. Kerr is the REAL football people that Dunphy's alter ego speaks about! In all seriousness he knows a lot more about tactical organisation than some of the washed up sh1tehawks on UK telly analysis.

I quite enjoyed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Reminds me of Sid Waddell, most normal people find him unbearable to listen too, however the chances of him being sacked are ruined by a few of the less normal people thinking he is wonderful and hilarious.

I may be able to tolerate Brian if he changed his accent whilst commentating but alas I believe I may never find out if he is tolerable as the accent doesn't seem to bother him. (just 99% of the rest of the worlds population)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 seaniemammy

Can't stick him. Think there's a touch of inverted snobbery hede when you can't criticise a "regional" accent. His voice is horrible and grating and imo not suited to broadcasting. He should make a decent effort to know the players' names. It's so irritating when he gets nearly all of them wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

"He got an aul box in the snot there"
    Gas, the man is a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

He is certainly better than Ray Houghton or Trevor Stevens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He is undoubtedly a very knowledgeable man when it comes to football and I respect him for that. But I cannot listen to him. Excruciating on the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Kerr's my favorite RTE commentator.He obviously knows his stuff

"the doctor wouldn't want to get blood on his suit would he" - Brian Kerr, Holland vs Brasil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Knowledgeable about football
    Witty
    Pronouces names well
    Can explain and dictate the goings on during the match

BUT.......

He has a working class Dublin accent, so let's all slate him because we're small-minded idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It always amazes me how worked up people get about commentators. It's just background noise to the football for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,540 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Witty
    Pronouces names well

BUT.......

He has a working class Dublin accent, so let's all slate him because we're small-minded idiots
    Not right on this part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Witty
    Pronouces names well

I disagree on the last three points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

osarusan wrote: »
    Not right on this part.

Compared to George Hamilton and his Oh-Zeal for Ozil and the generally shoddy attempts from most of the Irish pundits/commentators, he's much better

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's clearly the best, most insightful and knowledgeable analyst in TV right now. Sadly there's a big degree of a snobbery and anti-Dublin bias over his accent which some people can't see past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

He is a bit harsh on the ears, but he's decent and can be quite funny sometimes, sounded drunk and very shouty for the 3rd place playoff match though.

Either way he's better than Andy ruddy Townsend...

"Better"

"That's better"

"That's more like it, Clive"

"Oh, not for me, Clive"

That's basically all he ever says!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Have heard him on the radio a few times over the WC. Would imagine he's a bit of an acquired taste because I certainly couldn't listen to him.

Advertisement