Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary?

• 14-07-2014 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Well now the dust has settled, it's time.

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary? 360 votes

OMFG I want to stab my eardrums with skewers. MAKE IT STOP!!!
    9% 35 votes
    I want to hurt someone.
    20% 75 votes
    It's not the best, but hey, it's better than that other drab nutter
    11% 43 votes
    Hmm, I dunno. Thought he was quite reasonalbe myself
    20% 73 votes
    WHA??? KERR'S THE BLEEDIN WITTEST TING ON THE TELLY, YE MUPPET!!!
    37% 134 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The man is a demi-god and I am one of his minions. You and your ilk shall be smited.

''Look at the way Mr Ishimoto works the shaving foam there Stephen, little bit of a flicker with the wrist action at the end. Very straight lines. Fair play to him.''

A national treasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

His commentary made me want to kill myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Best commentator in the world imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

"Them Greeks have been chasing bouncing Czechs all night" - Brian Kerr, Euro 2012.

Best line I've ever heard from a commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

he sounds like an oul drunk in the chipper on the walkinstown roundabout on a saturday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

"Antonio Valentia, Manuel Nooor, Jimmy Rodriguez, Romelu lecuckoo"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The only time I looked at any of ITV's World Cup coverage was when Kerr was on RTÉ. That's how bad he is!

Actually, I think it's the combination of his voice and his accent that kills me. I don't even get to hear what he says...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

he sounds like an oul drunk in the chipper on the walkinstown roundabout on a saturday night

To be fair, this could be said about every single member of RTE's WC coverage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

He's bad but he's no Trevor Welsh.

*shudder*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

He knows his stuff for sure, but his voice is a bit of an acquired taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Nowhere near as bad as Lawro or Townsend. They actually make the games unwatchable they irritate me so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

"Them Greeks have been chasing bouncing Czechs all night" - Brian Kerr, Euro 2010.

Best line I've ever heard from a commentator.

There was no Euro 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Nowhere near as bad as Lawro or Townsend. They actually make the games unwatchable they irritate me so much.

Mark Lawrenson always seems to be in a foul or snarky mood.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Can't decide who's worse, himself or Lou Macari. Awful voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

He knows his stuff for sure, but his voice is a bit of an acquired taste.
    Acquired Taste?

That you Bill?

which reminds me, there should be a Goodbye Bill Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The only time I looked at any of ITV's World Cup coverage was when Kerr was on RTÉ. That's how bad he is!

Actually, I think it's the combination of his voice and his accent that kills me. I don't even get to hear what he says...
    Same here,I have to switch channels if he's on cos the wife can't stand his voice,bad enough having soccer on all the time she sez but having to listen to him is chronic,I turn over to ITV just to keep her happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Suas11 wrote: »
    Mark Lawrenson always seems to be in a foul or snarky mood.

He's a joke, can't tolerate him at all and I refused to watch a WC game on BBC when he was commentating.

Townsend is equally as bad but in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Best co commentator at the tourney (or commenting on it anyway!) by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It's his accent that is the unbearable aspect of his commentary, it's just so fecking thick, but to be fair to him he generally knows what he's talking about and I respect his opinion so it doesn't bother me that much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Paddy Crerand. Worst ever. Too pro-Man united for even the Man United TV channel.

• Advertisement

I wuda have him come en from the lef,

shud have kept him righ back stead a center forward...

I'd a brought on xxxxxx, and gave xxxxxx the hike

It's that type of stuff which annoys me.

It's over Brian. you had your turn. Fair Play.

But it's over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Kerr's my favorite RTE commentator.He obviously knows his stuff,has a nice dry sense of humor and doesn't have the bland middle class Dublin or slightly bogger-ish accent that is usually a prerequisite for employment in by our glorious state broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Suas11 wrote: »
    There was no Euro 2010

This is true. Amended as per your correction.

Kerr's my favorite RTE commentator.He obviously knows his stuff,has a nice dry sense of humor and doesn't have the bland middle class Dublin or slightly bogger-ish accent that is usually a prerequisite for employment in by our glorious state broadcaster.
    I'm quite sure I've no idea as to what you mean by bogger, or indeed middle-class.

It's D4 or nothing, darrhling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Love Brian Kerr! During the Brazil v Netherlands match when a player called Maxwell committed a bad foul he said "at least he didn't use a silver hammer!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I have no problem with it. You tend to hear quite a lot of regional accents in GAA coverage and there's no mass gnashing of teeth over it. Perhaps people are just so accustomed to hearing BBCD4 English with their football commentary that hearing an inner city Dublin accent just throws them slightly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I think he's great as a 2nd choice co-commentator. But if he got the high profile job sitting beside George Hamilton for every big game..... no that would a bit too much.:D

P_1 wrote: »
    I have no problem with it. You tend to hear quite a lot of regional accents in GAA coverage and there's no mass gnashing of teeth over it. Perhaps people are just so accustomed to hearing BBCD4 English with their football commentary that hearing an inner city Dublin accent just throws them slightly?
    Well for me it's not actually the accent.

It's the shuda, wuda, cudda.

A commentator's job is to clarify and enlighten. Not a platform for 'what i wudda dun'.

(yes, I'm also mocking his accent, I know. sigh. sorry?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I thought his rambling style made some of the less action packed games that bit more watchable. And be under no illusion the man knows the game well, and is more than qualified in venturing his opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Well for me it's not actually the accent.

It's the shuda, wuda, cudda.

A commentator's job is to clarify and enlighten. Not a platform for 'what i wudda dun'.

(yes, I'm also mocking his accent, I know. sigh. sorry?)

Ah I think it makes him come across quite similarly to the average punter watching the match. Perhaps that's part of the charm. The dry humour doesn't hurt either

Advertisement