Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw or Audi?

Options
  • 07-07-2014 1:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of upgrading the ole wagon, at the moment ive a mazda 323 im thinking of getting a 02-04 audi a4 or bmw 318 which is the most comfortable, and has decent pick up? any other advice on em is welcome aswell!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

This will really open a can of beans :)

the 318i is petrol while the A4 is probably diesel you're looking at?
    In that case the A4 would have a bit more pickup but if you went for a 320D then the BMW would be more powerful.
    Not too sure on comfort at the stage but a few of my mates had A4s from those years and in fairness they were practically bullet-proof. One lad has done over 350,000 miles on his A4 (1.9TDI). Lot of it motorway though and regular servicing done as well for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭allroad

Patww79 wrote: »

The appropriate equivalent would be Lexus.

The A4 is a solid, well built car. The BMW is nice, but transient compared to the Audi. Don't expect the same build quality or reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

True - there is nothing that says "class" more than an 02-04 318 :D make a recommendation on the actual merits of a car and apply some real world knowledge but don't recommend a 12 year old 'smallest engine' 4 pot (probably Paddy spec) 318 on the basis of your perceived brand snobbery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Better ride on the beemer. Also better headlights.
    More poke, a better soundsystem, better rear seats in the audi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I would consider the A4 a better car then the 318.

A 32x on the other hand, is a class above the Audi, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

A4 1.8T > 318i
    320i/323i/325i/328i > A4 1.8T/2.0/2.4
    A4 3.0 Quattro > 330i
    A4 1.9 TDI > 320d
    330d > A4 2.5 TDI

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I would consider the A4 a better car then the 318.

A 32x on the other hand, is a class above the Audi, imo.

Taking your statement out of the context of this thread considering we don't know the spec/engine of the A4 you are comparing it against, how can you recommend a 32x over an unknown ?

Also considering you are looking at 12 year old (ish) examples OP i would suggest you take every car you look at on it's individual merits and not some brand reputation (good or bad) a 12 year old cared for and serviced Hyuandai is a better buy than a neglected/dodgy A4 or 3 series, no matter what the spec/engine.

Sobanek wrote: »
    A4 1.8T > 318i
    320i/323i/325i/328i > A4 1.8T (quattro? BEX engine?) /2.0/2.4
    A4 3.0 Quattro > 330i
    A4 1.9 TDI > 320d
    330d > A4 2.5 TDI

I disagree if the 1.8T A4 is as above and avant (of course lol)

Just to show i'm not a fan boy i also disagree in considering a 3.0 A4 is a superior car to a 330i.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If you could stomach tax on a 2.2 or 2.5l, go for an e39, different league to e46... And they go for pocket change now...

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    Taking your statement out of the context of this thread considering we don't know the spec/engine of the A4 you are comparing it against, how can you recommend a 32x over an unknown ?

Also considering you are looking at 12 year old (ish) examples OP i would suggest you take every car you look at on it's individual merits and not some brand reputation (good or bad) a 12 year old cared for and serviced Hyuandai is a better buy than a neglected/dodgy A4 or 3 series, no matter what the spec/engine.

Well the average Audi you see on Irish roads is either the 1.6 petrol or the 1.9tdi.

And given the OP asked about a 318, don't you think its logical to assume he's interested in a similarly sized Audi?

Well the average Audi you see on Irish roads is either the 1.6 petrol or the 1.9tdi.

And given the OP asked about a 318, don't you think its logical to assume he's interested in a similarly sized Audi?

The average BMW is the same :) So average 12 yr old A4 v Average 12 year old 3 series ? I don't think it's possible to recommend one or the other based on class, brand image etc you would go for the better value buy and the one that's going to be less of a money pit.

tossy wrote: »
    The average BMW is the same :)

You see a reasonable number of 32x's imo. But yes the vast majority of petrol Beemers in Ireland are 318s.

My rule is: Look at what the average Irish motorist buys. Then go buy something else.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Im not set on just a A4 or 318 just as i was havin a look thru done deal they looked like decent comfy cars with a decent bit of power and goin for a reasonble price haha i was lookin at the newer 2005 accords aswell altho they seem to be fair pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The a4 might share an engine and a few of it's components with it's equivalent vw passat counterpart but they are very much different cars apart from that and have completely different suspension from one and other at the rear. The Audi has a superior independent suspension setup compared to the passats semi independent beam axle.

The interior of the Audi is also a massive step up from that of a passat and it's a far nicer looking car too Imo.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The a4 might share an engine and a few of it's components with it's equivalent vw passat counterpart but they are very much different cars apart from that and have completely different suspension from one and other at the rear. The Audi has a superior independent suspension setup compared to the passats semi independent beam axle.

The interior of the Audi is also a massive step up from that of a passat and it's a far nicer looking car too Imo.

The A4 is a golf. Not a passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It's the A3 that is a Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The a4 is neither a golf nor a Passat. It's in the same class as a passat though with the a3 being in the same class as a golf.

If you don't. Know what you are talking about why bother posting?

That was funny, thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

just saw the below, ad not great, but its a ridiculous amount of car for a years tax!

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/bmw-520i/7258017

also the 5's seem to go for cheaper than the equivalent 3's, which is mad given that they would have cost quite a bit more new. are a far better drive and less goes wrong with them...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    just saw the below, ad not great, but its a ridiculous amount of car for a years tax!

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/bmw-520i/7258017

also the 5's seem to go for cheaper than the equivalent 3's, which is mad given that they would have cost quite a bit more new. are a far better drive and less goes wrong with them...

5 seires be the way to go so?

evo2000 wrote: »
    5 seires be the way to go so?

As idbatterim says, E39s are more or less bulletproof. Those 6 cylinder engines are simply magnificent. :)

That's a serious amount of car for 1k provided there's nothing seriously wrong with it.

As idbatterim says, E39s are more or less bulletproof. Those 6 cylinder engines are simply magnificent. :)

That's a serious amount of car for 1k provided there's nothing seriously wrong with it.

Ah tis an automatic tho! **** that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Rubbish. Obviously you never looked under either a golf or an A4.

jca wrote: »
    Rubbish. Obviously you never looked under either a golf or an A4.

You obviously can't judge dimensions well. The Passat is the bigger car. There is a size difference between the two cars.

Categorically the golf, jetta etc is the A4
    Categorically the Passat is the A6

Don't try tell me the A4 is a passat. Its a completely different car.

You obviously can't judge dimensions well. The Passat is the bigger car. There is a size difference between the two cars.

Speaking of passats what are they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,201 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I wouldn't bother trying to tell you anything..... No point really.... Ignorance is bliss so they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

evo2000 wrote: »
    Ah tis an automatic tho! **** that

you won't say that with a lot of town driving...recently changed mine from manual to auto and it's a blood godsend..I can still switch it to manual/sports mode if I want to push it on a bit :)

Advertisement