Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw or Audi?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Blazer wrote: »
    you won't say that with a lot of town driving...recently changed mine from manual to auto and it's a blood godsend..I can still switch it to manual/sports mode if I want to push it on a bit :)

Do yeah not need a different license for an auto tho i thought? be well handy being able to switch between the two tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

You obviously can't judge dimensions well. The Passat is the bigger car. There is a size difference between the two cars.

Categorically the golf, jetta etc is the A4
    Categorically the Passat is the A6

Don't try tell me the A4 is a passat. Its a completely different car.

The golf is a C segment car just like an a3, focus, corolla etc

The A4 is a D segment car just like the Passat, avensis, Mondeo, 3 series bmw etc

The a6 in an E segment car just like a bmw 5 series, a class up from a Passat.

A Passat is not an "A6", nor is it comparable to an A6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'd have a Merc over them sh1tboxes if I was going German.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-mercedes-c200-kompressor/7263463

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BdaraB

You obviously can't judge dimensions well. The Passat is the bigger car. There is a size difference between the two cars.

Categorically yes but the B5 A4 used the same platform as the Passat B5 while the B6 went on a stretched version of the PQ35 and guess what car used that platform. Just because the cars are different sizes doesn't meant that they don't share anything under the skin likewise just as two cars might share the same platform doesn't mean that they are anything alike I mean the Skoda Octavia and Audi TT share a platform but you would never confuse the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

pablo128 wrote: »
    I'd have a Merc over them sh1tboxes if I was going German.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-mercedes-c200-kompressor/7263463

You have to be kidding now. Those mercs are horrible yokes with disastrous build quality. IMO they are the biggest sh1tbox of them all. Early examples weren't "German" either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You have to be kidding now. Those mercs are horrible yokes with disastrous build quality. IMO they are the biggest sh1tbox of them all. Early examples weren't "German" either.
    Well I did say if I was going german. I'd have a Toyota over any of them tbh.:pac:

BdaraB wrote: »
    Categorically yes but the B5 A4 used the same platform as the Passat B5 while the B6 went on a stretched version of the PQ35 and guess what car used that platform. Just because the cars are different sizes doesn't meant that they don't share anything under the skin likewise just as two cars might share the same platform doesn't mean that they are anything alike I mean the Skoda Octavia and Audi TT share a platform but you would never confuse the two.

Put the handbags down ladies, Rumor has it the A4 is the same category as a ford festi, in all fairness tho what yer saying has no bearing on the thread so just private message each other.. or better yet just agree to disagree lol

pablo128 wrote: »
    Well I did say if I was going german. I'd have a Toyota over any of them tbh.:pac:
    Was lookin at a few avensis aswell they dont look half bad either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The golf is a C segment car just like an a3, focus, corolla etc

The A4 is a D segment car just like the Passat, avensis, Mondeo, 3 series bmw etc

The a6 in an E segment car just like a bmw 5 series, a class up from a Passat.

A Passat is not an "A6", nor is it comparable to an A6.

If you went shopping for a 04 plate family car and brought home an A4 you'd be committed. I can say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I think you read somewhere the Golf was built on the A4 (PQ34) platform and presumed it meant the Audi A4, it doesn't. That's just the designated name for that platform - MK4 golf Audi A3/TT. Octavia, Seat Leon etc. So you are mistaken sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

tossy wrote: »
    I think you read somewhere the Golf was built on the A4 (PQ34) platform and presumed it meant the Audi A4, it doesn't. That's just the designated name for that platform - MK4 golf Audi A3/TT. Octavia, Seat Leon etc. So you are mistaken sorry.

Please re-read the post. I'm clearly not mistaken. Many differently sized cars are based on the same platform. We could be at this for a week and a half.

An A4 is not. I repeat - not a Passat. Are we clear?

Please re-read the post. I'm clearly not mistaken. Many differently sized cars are based on the same platform. We could be at this for a week and a half.

An A4 is not. I repeat - not a Passat. Are we clear?

I never - i repeat - never said the A4 was a passat, i was pulling you up on the fact you said the A4 was a Golf. It's not - i repeat - not a Golf. Are you clear? :D
    The A4 is a golf. Not a passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

evo2000 wrote: »
    Do yeah not need a different license for an auto tho i thought? be well handy being able to switch between the two tho!

No. Assuming you passed your test in a manual car (which most people in Ireland would have), you are licenced to drive an automatic as well. If you passed your test in an automatic, you're not licenced to drive a manual, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

nope..its the other way around..if you did your test in an automatic you cannot drive a manual and need to retest in a manual.
    Sister did hers in an automatic and she has no idea how to drive a manual and legally she cannot drive one anyway.
    Anyone that did it in a manual can drive an automatic.

My car isn't a manual per se in the normal sense. If you look at the pic below you can push the level to the left and then toggle up and down the gears by flicking the level. The stick is basically just a switch wired to the transmission.

dynamics4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭dodzy

Im thinking of upgrading the ole wagon, at the moment ive a mazda 323 im thinking of getting a 02-04 audi a4 or bmw 318 which is the most comfortable, and has decent pick up? any other advice on em is welcome aswell!
    A4. 1.8T. Great car. Not a million miles away (size) from where you currently are but it'll "pick up" a fair bit quicker than you are used to. They come in at 150BHP for the standard FWD and 163BHP for the quattro variant (and can be cheaply remapped to boost those figures by c.30BHP).

Had the latter for the last 7yrs. Absolutely loved the car, but it drank..... Approx 40mile for a tenner (all stop-start driving). Although the quattro are renowned for their poor fuel consumption, they handle superbly. I put about 85K on the car and it cost me feck all relatively speaking on maintenance costs. Self serviced fully synth. oil change every 7.5K. Bloody great motor and well worth strong consideration.

Recently change to a 140BHP A6 2.0TDi. Lovely bus. Far bigger motor. Much better on fuel as it turns out, even with a lot of urban driving.

dodzy wrote: »
    A4. 1.8T. Great car. Not a million miles away (size) from where you currently are but it'll "pick up" a fair bit quicker than you are used to. They come in at 150BHP for the standard FWD and 163BHP for the quattro variant (and can be cheaply remapped to boost those figures by c.30BHP).

Had the latter for the last 7yrs. Absolutely loved the car, but it drank..... Approx 40mile for a tenner (all stop-start driving). Although the quattro are renowned for their poor fuel consumption, they handle superbly. I put about 85K on the car and it cost me feck all relatively speaking on maintenance costs. Self serviced fully synth. oil change every 7.5K. Bloody great motor and well worth strong consideration.

Recently change to a 140BHP A6 2.0TDi. Lovely bus. Far bigger motor. Much better on fuel as it turns out, even with a lot of urban driving.

There was something wrong with that A4 you had with those Economy figures, i would probably get 40 miles for a Tenner, in my S3 (1.8T 255bhp and quattro)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There was something wrong with that A4 you had with those Economy figures, i would probably get 40 miles for a Tenner, in my S3 (1.8T 255bhp and quattro)

I'd say a case of an extremely heavy foot :)

All stop start. Never really got the chance of a decent run although now have a shot at some longer runs. General consensus on fora is that 40miles/€10 was not far off the true mark
    Blazer wrote: »
    I'd say a case of an extremely heavy foot :)
    Hard not to keep it planted in fairness. A joy to drive at not to far off 200 brake. Tossy's 255 motor must be a bullet.

All stop start. Never really got the chance of a decent run although now have a shot at some longer runs. General consensus on fora is that 40miles/€10 was not far off the true mark

Hard not to keep it planted in fairness. A joy to drive at not to far off 200 brake. Tossy's 255 motor must be a bullet.

I suppose the would be a heavier car too, i was thinking about getting one of the 190 sport avants but i'm trying to reduce running costs so that scuppered that lol.

so the A4 seems to be the way to go then?

• Advertisement

Maybe but i would still stand by the statement i made earlier in the thread.
    Also considering you are looking at 12 year old (ish) examples OP i would suggest you take every car you look at on it's individual merits and not some brand reputation (good or bad) a 12 year old cared for and serviced Hyuandai is a better buy than a neglected/dodgy A4 or 3 series, no matter what the spec/engine.

so the A4 seems to be the way to go then?

The lads here are very well versed in recommendations but as today said, it's imperative with 10+ yr old motors that you are very picky. Don't jump in to anything. If you get a well looked after 1.8T with a good service history and spec, you are getting a very solid car IMO. Do your homework and take a test drive to see if it's to your liking. My guess is that you will be quite impressed. Red or blue 😉

The lads here are very well versed in recommendations but as today said, it's imperative with 10+ yr old motors that you are very picky. Don't jump in to anything. If you get a well looked after 1.8T with a good service history and spec, you are getting a very solid car IMO. Do your homework and take a test drive to see if it's to your liking. My guess is that you will be quite impressed. Red or blue 😉

Yeah im savin up at the moment plannin on spendin 2500-3k on one maybe next month, so ill be fair picky! nct is a must and anything below 100k miles, i wouldnt be the most savy mechanical wise tho, anything i should look out for ?

Yeah im savin up at the moment plannin on spendin 2500-3k on one maybe next month, so ill be fair picky! nct is a must and anything below 100k miles, i wouldnt be the most savy mechanical wise tho, anything i should look out for ?

The 1.8T is a very solid unit. Achilles heel is a small oil sump which had the potential for sludging, and oil supply pipe filter mesh blocking. But regular servicing with correct spec oil will give it the best chance. I changed the oil with fully synth every 7K approx.

Full Service history or a good portion at least. You will be looking at 100K approx so due a belt at 120K. Would be handy if it had been done recently.
    NCT always a bonus. Best advice I can give is that you will / should get a general gut feeling if the car has been well minded. Insist on a very clean inner / outer car. A good spec ( s-line ) would be preferable. 2003 on had colour-coded lowers and the s-line usually sported the door blades - both adding to the overall appearance IMO. Should be very tight on a drive. You get the idea ;)

you were a few months late for my one

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

Either 320d bmw or 1.9TDI Audi a4 130hp/

Whats with the retarded prices on done deal for absoutle piles of ****e audi 02 170k miles Nct till sept Price 3800 and thats just an example! theres loads of em, people hardly shell out that sorta cash for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Whats with the retarded prices on done deal for absoutle piles of ****e audi 02 170k miles Nct till sept Price 3800 and thats just an example! theres loads of em, people hardly shell out that sorta cash for that?

They are the current weapon of choice for young fellas. These phases come and go and it will be something else again soon enough but it usually means a decent one is harder to find. At the moment there's a high demand so the prices take the p1ss. Although if it was a mint, well looked after one they're probably worth that kind of money as they are a pretty solid car.

They are the current weapon of choice for young fellas. These phases come and go and it will be something else again soon enough but it usually means a decent one is harder to find. At the moment there's a high demand so the prices take the p1ss. Although if it was a mint, well looked after one they're probably worth that kind of money as they are a pretty solid car.

Thats true i suppose! it also explains the 5700 97 integra i seen, utter madness! haha

Advertisement