Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

PSU - Buy adaptors or bite the bullet

• 26-06-2014 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Pages

Hey guys

Recently spent a shed load of money on a new gaming rig.
    Got fairly distracted but starting building it up and got it working to a degree.

Ran into the issue where the bloody PSU i bought doesn't have a single PCI-E cable on it.
    Now I bought the computer case which came bundled with a 500W PSU. In my rush of buying it I didn't even think to check what cables came with it :(

EV
    Apline 500W PSU
    24 pin; 4 Pin (12V); 2 x Sata; 3 x 4 pin; 1 x FDD

So at the moment it goes like this the
    2 sata cables are used by the SSD and HDD
    1 4 pin for the 6PCI-e to molex adaptor which came with the GPU

Now the options of continuing with this seem bleak and as i write this I'm siding more with the stop being an idiot and get a proper PSU.
    Here are the peripheral pieces which I'm using on the computer.

-- EVGA GeForce GTX 760 1072MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooler
    -- Intel 240GB 730 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive
    -- Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive
    -- Samsung 24x SH-224DB DVD-RW SATA OEM

So sorry for the jumbled post but to summarise
    1a: Is it worth buying adaptors to the 2 remaining 4 pin molex to try and power this computer up.
    1b: If i do go the route of buying the adaptors am i risking the PSU either supplying too much or too little juice to the peripheral pieces

2: If you guys had to buy a PSU to fit these needs , which one would you buy (amazon preferably ) ? Obviously the cheaper the better but I've been stung by going cheap so it's not as high a priority as it was before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭ game4it70

You have some nice components and have a very poor psu.Don't waste money on adapters for that psu.Get a better brand as cheap ones can blow and take out your nice and shiny new parts.

The corsair builder series are good for the money (Amazon stock them).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Pages

Yeah when i was picking the pieces I just bought the case cause i liked the look of it was going with a red/black theme :/

Just looking at the PSU's on amazon and most seem to only have either a 6 pin PCI or a 6+2. Just wondering if you or anyone out there knows of a specific model which comes with both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,935 ✭✭✭✭ TerrorFirmer

That alpine PSU is absolutely garbage. Attempt to run a card off that and the supply will probably burst into flames.

In my eyes, a decent 'cheap' psu is around the 35-40 euro mark. Those Alpine PSU's are literally about 13 euro.

This one is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Pages

ha !

Ended up buying Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU.
    Seems to be mid range and has more than what i need.

Thanks for all the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,935 ✭✭✭✭ TerrorFirmer

Pages wrote: »
    ha !

Ended up buying Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU.
    Seems to be mid range and has more than what i need.

Thanks for all the help :)

Total overkill to be honest - sledgehammer to crack a nut type thing (I'd say your system will draw about 350-380w under 100% load), but better that than another piece of junk :)

You should get a tenner for your old power supply on adverts.ie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭ Redfox25

Edit your order to a 500 or 550w and save a few quid

Advertisement