Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

Kramer wrote: »
    It was actually Mrs. K's car that dashcam is in & she was alone when that loon flew in the Ennis road. It was approx 11.40pm & she said there were other cars behind her so he passed several vehicles at that crazy speed.
    50 kph zone obviously & not a dual carrigeway :D.

The reg was 07 C xxxx & from my experience of previous footage from the camera in her car, I reckon he/she was travelling at well over 100 kph, probably 110/115 or maybe a little more.
    There's a four way junction there too at the side of the Gaelic Grounds - anybody turning left onto the Ennis road from Ashbrook would have been toast.

Cam is a Seezus Shadow GT680W with the GPS receiver option.

There's loads of places where anyone could have pulled out on the Ennis road. Plenty of driveways, shops etc. The car must have been stolen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The car must have been stolen

The driver was way over the speed limit on an urban road, therefore the vehicle was stolen?

Must be an awful lot of stolen cars in this country so.

In Galway, for instance: https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/478816405664849920/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Doing speed checks on a 50kph empty dual carraigeway at night! How about they go back 100 yards to the roundabout and do everyone for driving like gob****es. Or better still, catch a criminal!

gutteruu wrote: »
    Doing speed checks on a 50kph empty dual carraigeway at night! How about they go back 100 yards to the roundabout and do everyone for driving like gob****es. Or better still, catch a criminal!

But they must be stolen cars, right?

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=13426

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

The driver was way over the speed limit on an urban road, therefore the vehicle was stolen?

Must be an awful lot of stolen cars in this country so.

In Galway, for instance: https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/478816405664849920/photo/1

No. A car overtaking several cars directly after a junction on a busy urban 50 kmph stretch at probably twice the limit indicates that it might be stolen.

And yes. There are a lot of stolen cars in the country

No. A car overtaking several cars directly after a junction on a busy urban 50 kmph stretch at probably twice the limit indicates that it might be stolen.

I wouldn't just assume it was stolen (OK it's likely that it was), but some clowns "drive it like it was stolen" just for the thrill of it.

According to the RSA about 8 in every ten cars on 50 km/h urban arterial and "urban national" roads are breaking the speed limit. I'm afraid it's a bit too convenient to believe that the extreme speeders among them are most likely in stolen cars.

Back to the ass-saving dashcams:

According to the RSA about 8 in every ten cars on 50 km/h urban arterial and "urban national" roads are breaking the speed limit. I'm afraid it's a bit too convenient to believe that the extreme speeders among them are most likely in stolen cars.

Fair enough. But the overtaking as well as the speed is a huge factor there. If you know that stretch of road, you'd know that anyone could have come out of anywhere. Its full on dangerous driving and deserves a ban

• Advertisement

Fair enough. But the overtaking as well as the speed is a huge factor there. If you know that stretch of road, you'd know that anyone could have come out of anywhere. Its full on dangerous driving and deserves a ban

I know lots of stretches of road where there are side roads, exits and driveways, and motorists still drive at lunatic speeds.

A couple of years ago I was about to take a left turn out of this filling station on a 50 km/h stretch of the N84 in Galway, with the kids in the back. I slowly approached the roadway and looked to my right for oncoming traffic. As I was turning my head to look to the left, a car flashed by at high speed, overtaking outside the continuous white line. Had I accidentally lurched forwards, or exited without checking, we were all dead. The car wasn't stolen.

Last year, early one Saturday morning, I was about to turn right out of this petrol station, situated on a 50 km/h residential/arterial road. I had checked to my right, then to my left, and was about to look right again. In that couple of seconds a car sped by from right to left at what must have been close to 100 km/h, if not over it. It wasn't a stolen car, just one of the upper-end speeders on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd seriously doubt that lad was going 100mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

bear1 wrote: »

No he wasn't. Probably doing about sixty.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

maceocc2 wrote: »

Eh! does he not know if he continues on round the round-about he will find himself a multitude off choices about what to do next, oh and his exit will still be there!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Very last minute, very close to the cones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Mick55 wrote: »
    Very last minute, very close to the cones!

I got confused the first time I went through that junction, as the signage isn't great. IIRC, it says Castleknock in the left hand lane and Blanch in the next lane. But if you want to go to Blanch village, you're better off in the 'Castleknock' lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

RainyDay wrote: »
    the signage isn't great..

Completely agree, if you don't know the junction it is a confusing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

I recently posted one here of the same juction, only someone jumped into the slip road to blanch. Really bad signage, the big over heads should be much earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

RainyDay wrote: »
    I got confused the first time I went through that junction, as the signage isn't great. IIRC, it says Castleknock in the left hand lane and Blanch in the next lane. But if you want to go to Blanch village, you're better off in the 'Castleknock' lane.

And if you want to get to Castleknock relatively quickly, at the roundabout you come to you take the Blanchardstown exit and go down by the bell pub.

Otherwise you end up at the whore of a junction across from Auburn Ave where the light synchronisation is useless and only 3-5 cars get to turn right at this junction:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir//53.3812929,-6.3573806/@53.3805615,-6.3581533,18z/data=!4m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Keep an eye out for the silver Mercedes.

http://youtu.be/Ei1csH7JhCw

Met him on the way into Limerick on Wednesday morning. Thanks be to God no-one was killed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

What the actual fcuk? That's 3 (on camera) in as many weeks nearly.
    Looks like there was no number plate on it. Stolen?

Can't say if it was stolen, there is a reg plate on it, but can't make it out fully as he was going so fast. Looks like 04-C-xxxx.

Probably some doddery old f*cker. A toyota people carrier and a motorbike passed me just before this so they could have met this guy head on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

kevin65 wrote: »

Met him on the way into Limerick on Wednesday morning. Thanks be to God no-one was killed.

Frightening, seeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

bear1 wrote: »
    In that couple of seconds a car sped by from right to left at what must have been close to 100 km/h, if not over it.
    Red Nissan wrote: »
    No he wasn't. Probably doing about sixty.
    Bear1, Iwannahurl posted km/h which is basically what you're saying, Red Nissan.

That's mad.. they're going so fast they're almost on top of you before you see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

thats crazy speed the merc is doing,
    Ive always thought about how I would react if I came across a car head on.
    Ive always thought Id have time to slow down, put lights and hazards on and try to slow or stop the person,
    the reality is, you may not have a chance
    but if you do, get the fcuk out of the way and call the Gardai, and pray nobody hits the idiot driving like a tool.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

b318isp wrote: »
    Frightening, seeing that.

It would make you think twice about being in the right hand lane on a dual carriageway without a clear view of the road ahead. After he passed me, I was like 'did I really see that???'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

PeteK* wrote: »
    Bear1, Iwannahurl posted km/h which is basically what you're saying, Red Nissan.

That's mad.. they're going so fast they're almost on top of you before you see them.

The video owner claimed it was 100 mph.

It wasn't that fast clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It would make you think twice about being in the right hand lane on a dual carriageway without a clear view of the road ahead. After he passed me, I was like 'did I really see that???'.

I know what you mean, I've recently become very hesitant about overtaking near bends.

Imo it's long overdue that we have "STOP : wrong way" signs displayed towards wrong way traffic for at least 1km before every motorway/DC exit but I suspect nothing proactive will be done until at least 5 people or a politician's relative are killed.:mad:

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I know what you mean, I've recently become very hesitant about overtaking near bends.

Imo it's long overdue that we have "STOP : wrong way" signs displayed towards wrong way traffic for at least 1km before every motorway/DC exit but I suspect nothing proactive will be done until at least 5 people or a politician's relative are killed.:mad:
    Putting up proper "No Entry" signs would be a good start rather than the old style "no straight ahead" signs as those signs are non standard and many foreign drivers wouldn't notice them (even more so now that the proper signs are widely used elsewhere). Flashing red lights activated by motion sensors would alert those who ignore the No entry signs and after that a set of angled spikes to puncture the tyres!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement