Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I've only played about 20 minutes but I'm disappointed to say it hasn't grabbed me at all. I understand that it will probably require and hour or 2 of in depth play to get a good feel for it but my first impressions are decidedly meh. The controls are tight but the shooting feels completely lacking in any weight or kick, might as well be firing paintballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

After playing for a few hours I have to say it's really growing on me by the minute, not that I didn't like it to begin with.
    The campaign seems like a blast compared with the traditional linear games.
    The multiplayer seems like a sensible evolution refined version of Halo which is awesome. Some really cool stuff in there and the MMO aspects seem to be done to just the right level.
    Day one purchase for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Wasnt really sure about destiny when it was announced, but got the alpha the other day.

Reached the lvl 8 cap and then went and pre ordeder it and got my beta code.

I hope they up the lvl cap for the beta.

Its now one of my most looking forward to games between now and the start of 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I only played a few minutes last night (World Cup taking priority) but it seemed like a fairly standard FPS to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks good to me,have it pre ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So whats the verdict? I watch a bit of footage of the alpha but that's not the same as playing it. How does the gunplay feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Kirby wrote: »
    How does the gunplay feel?

Like Halo - and that is no bad thing.

Overall, Destiny has gone from a 'probably day one purchase, depending on the gameplay' to a 'day one purchase'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Just wondering does anyone know if the online stuff be region locked. Thinking of pre-ordering from the US, to get it cheaper?

I did a quick google and couldn't find any info on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Alpha is actually still running for an extra few hours , Bungie <3 extended it as they are sound and wanna throw some mad **** in....

Can't get over their code for such an unfinished game, its quality.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Fieldog wrote: »
    Can't get over their code for such an unfinished game, its quality.....
    It would want to be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

wes wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know if the online stuff be region locked. Thinking of pre-ordering from the US, to get it cheaper?

Usual rules would apply wrt buying games from the US and the dlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I know, what I meant was it doesn't feel any different when matchmaking, on Destiny Vs Halo, even on PSN.... :-)

I wouldn't expect any less from Bungie tbh....

Looking forward to this, the PVP needs improvement, just feels slow compared to Halo....

(Yes I'm comparing everything in Destiny to all Bungie Halo games)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

wes wrote: »

No information on it yet, but I would be cautious about it alright. I know with the Last of Us it was region locked, so if you brought the US version of it you would be put up against US players online.

I'm not sure if that's a standard thing in games though.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Usual rules would apply wrt buying games from the US and the dlc.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I meant if I were to buy a US version of the game, would I be able to play using EU servers, or are you locked to the region you bought?

I found out about the DLC, and thats no problem, can get pre-paid PSN cards for that.

Benzino wrote: »
    No information on it yet, but I would be cautious about it alright. I know with the Last of Us it was region locked, so if you brought the US version of it you would be put up against US players online.

I'm not sure if that's a standard thing in games though.

Cheers thanks for the info, will hold off for the time being, as online will be a huge part of Destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

PS3 and PS4 exclusive content revealed.
    Content includes:
    - co-op strike set on Mars
    -multiplayer map
    - armor for all three classes
    -assault rifle and hand cannon
    - three ships which look the same but with different skins

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/16/destinys-playstation-exclusive-content-detailed/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I cant believe Sony and Microsoft pay real money for that sort of "exclusive" crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Had 2 hours with the game last night on PS4, pretty impressed!
    • Graphics - Disappointed, close up it gets pretty dodgy.
    • Controls - Really didn't like them, didn't feel as smooth as Halo. Feels heavier than it should.
    • MP - Fun, but it's really weighted towards snipers at the moment, if you've got a fully-auto machine gun you might as well not try.
    • Menu - Really nice! Loved the design and the mouse-like navigation works really well.
    • Hovercraft - IS AWESOME.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is it just PvP in the beta, or can you play co-op?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Kiith wrote: »
    Both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Kiith wrote: »

The beta will have more game modes than the alpha when it comes out in July.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wouldn't be too concerned about the graphics in the Alpha, they'll most definitely be improved for the end product. Alphas and betas are by their very nature unfinished, and likely compressed for a more reasonable download size. I'd be very surprised indeed if there wasn't a very noticeable bump graphically for the final game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I wouldn't be too concerned about the graphics in the Alpha, they'll most definitely be improved for the end product. Alphas and betas are by their very nature unfinished, and likely compressed for a more reasonable download size. I'd be very surprised indeed if there wasn't a very noticeable bump graphically for the final game.

Cant remember where i saw it but didnt one of the developers say recently that it already looks better than the alpha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd doubt it tbh. I have never played a beta or demo of a game in that the graphics were any better in the final release. Even for this "alpha" it looks very finished. It's the most finished feeling and looking alpha I have played too.

The only difference in the Destiny alpha, beta and final game is content, game mode,maps,gear and level cpas and nothing more.

It has been confirmed that the Xbox One version is getting a graphic boost for release due to the Kinect less SKU giving slightly more GPU performance but the PS4 version will still be at higher native resolution. But with no beta out yet we will have to see that in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'd doubt it tbh. I have never played a beta or demo of a game in that the graphics were any better in the final release. Even for this "alpha" it looks very finished. It's the most finished feeling and looking alpha I have played too.

I would have agreed with you normally, but a Bungie artist has stated the graphics look better on the latest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I have never played a beta or demo of a game in that the graphics were any better in the final release.

Did you not play the Titanfall beta then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

New gameplay video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Looks like Borderlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dermighty wrote: »
    Looks like Borderlands.

Yeah a lot of what I've read from people who've played it has said "Borderlands with a bit of Halo".

Not a bad thing though. Certainly made me more interested in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Absolutely loved Borderlands so really excited for this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement