Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate Chemistry [All Levels] Before and After Discussion****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

mirrors wrote: »
    marno21 wrote: »
    Thankfully this will be 3 hours cos it's my last exam and I'll just have freedom and Killarney in my head

I'm from killarney too :)
    I'm from killarney too!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

Lads I am absolutely dreading this paper. I don't really like chemistry experiments :/ however, I can do the rest of the paper perfectly. is it just me or ye guys find the experiments annoying too?

Learning off the experiments has always been painful. could anyone please take pictures of their experiments notes? Please. I have enough notes but I fear that I am missing something. :"(

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

rocco123 wrote: »
    My main worry regarding chemistry is the marking scheme, can somebody please explain how they are used? Does your answer have to be exact same as those in bold in the marking schemes, I know this is not the case for physics anyway which makes it a lot easier. Also say for a question on trends on atomic radii for example, if you say it increases due to an increase in nuclear charge rather than due to increasing nuclear charge will you get the marks?

I believe they aren't as flexible as physics. Yes you do need what's in bold black print.

And yes you'll definitely get the marks with that example you've given. They aren't that mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rocco123

My main worry regarding chemistry is the marking scheme, can somebody please explain how they are used? Does your answer have to be exact same as those in bold in the marking schemes, I know this is not the case for physics anyway which makes it a lot easier. Also say for a question on trends on atomic radii for example, if you say it increases due to an increase in nuclear charge rather than due to increasing nuclear charge will you get the marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kev44

Lomg question on water/Ph hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kev44

Do ye think Q2 will be a mixture of organic exps. again? I was surprised to see our mocks didnt have that format after last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

kev44 wrote: »
    Do ye think Q2 will be a mixture of organic exps. again? I was surprised to see our mocks didnt have that format after last year

I really hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

yoyojc wrote: »
    Yeah when you get some spare time 'attack' the exam questions and the marking scheme. What will come up can't be much different from things that have been asked before... I hope.

Apparently they've got someone new setting the papers this year...things could be changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Goosekid

Well, anyone have predictions for chemistry?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Apparently they've got someone new setting the papers this year...things could be changing.

How could you possibly know that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

How could you possibly know that?

I have my sources :rolleyes: no, it's just a rumour going around. I can't substantiate anything, and I can't imagine the paper could change in layout. Question style might vary between people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I have my sources :rolleyes: no, it's just a rumour going around. I can't substantiate anything, and I can't imagine the paper could change in layout. Question style might vary between people.

Probably better not to perpetuate unsubstantiated rumours then and stress people out unnecessarily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

There is a new person making the papers. It used to be a woman and now it's her husband or vice versa.

How do I remember? Our teacher said it to us and I said "There must be a lot of chemistry in that relationship" and no one laughed. :(

I still think it's funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Holy sh!te why did I find this out now feeling v stressed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Holy sh!te why did I find this out now feeling v stressed :(

Don't be, paper will still be of the same standard from every other year.
    Chemistry is a pretty fair paper imo, lots of choice so if you have made an effort you can't really get badly screwed.
    Practice the hell out of organic, once you have the basics (naming structures from chain length, functional groups etc.) the rest is grand, and stick close to the marking shemes

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭booblefoop

robman60 wrote: »
    There is a new person making the papers. It used to be a woman and now it's her husband or vice versa.

How do I remember? Our teacher said it to us and I said "There must be a lot of chemistry in that relationship" and no one laughed. :(

I still think it's funny though.

Do they not get a few different people to make the papers, though? I vaguely remember hearing they do it that way, so that the person who makes the paper doesn't tell someone what's coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Ompala wrote: »
    Don't be, paper will still be of the same standard from every other year.
    Chemistry is a pretty fair paper imo, lots of choice so if you have made an effort you can't really get badly screwed.
    Practice the hell out of organic, once you have the basics (naming structures from chain length, functional groups etc.) the rest is grand, and stick close to the marking shemes

ah no I'm actually fixed grand for it, just the idea of a possible different style of questioning is a bit weird :o We've done all the exam questions so many times that you start to ease into patterns, which is dangerous so I think I'll do more pure revision than focus on questions. Stood to me for the bio paper:)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

ah no I'm actually fixed grand for it, just the idea of a possible different style of questioning is a bit weird :o We've done all the exam questions so many times that you start to ease into patterns, which is dangerous so I think I'll do more pure revision than focus on questions. Stood to me for the bio paper:)

As with all science exams, just write short concise to the point and you get marks, no need for long winded answers :D

I know what ya mean with papers, I mean how many times doing Q6 have you practiced Hess's Law with enthalpy?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

xLisaBx wrote: »
    mirrors wrote: »
    I'm from killarney too!
    There should be a seperate Killarney thread on here the way things are going.

Anyone else here get an awful feeling they could do a biology with this paper this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

There should be a seperate Killarney thread on here the way things are going.

Anyone else here get an awful feeling they could do a biology with this paper this year?

What happened in biology? Did they change the question types or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

I'm trying to go through the course these days with a mindset that the questions may be asked differently or perhaps questions we've never seen before; it's very possible!

I think if you prepare yourself for a surprise you might be able to handle that surprise in the exam better.

I'm dreading chemistry :/

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Chemistry is my last exam. Not looking forward to it! I need to get an A1 for a UK offer but I feel like this year will be a tough exam or that I will write something silly even though I know the answer!
    Does anyone have any mock papers they could share? Or does anyone have the DEB 2013 or 2014 mock solutions?
    Really hoping it goes well for us all and that they don't throw anything too bad at us :/

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    Chemistry is my last exam. Not looking forward to it! I need to get an A1 for a UK offer but I feel like this year will be a tough exam or that I will write something silly even though I know the answer!
    Does anyone have any mock papers they could share? Or does anyone have the DEB 2013 or 2014 mock solutions?
    Really hoping it goes well for us all and that they don't throw anything too bad at us :/

I could send you this year's DEB mock if it's any use?

I'm dreading chemistry :/

MacBizzle wrote: »
    I could send you this year's DEB mock if it's any use?

That would be great if you could! Are you able to send it by PM? I would really appreciate it but if it takes too long or anything it's fine :) Thanks :)

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    That would be great if you could! Are you able to send it by PM? I would really appreciate it but if it takes too long or anything it's fine :) Thanks :)

I'll go find it there and send it on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rocco123

How leniant are correctors then marking, do answers have to be exactly the same as the marking scheme or how does it work, this is my only worry for chem

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eefah

xLisaBx wrote: »

What happened with biology?

... I thought it went fairly well...

• Advertisement

MacBizzle wrote: »
    I'll go find it there and send it on :)

Thanks a million, I really appreciate it :)
    rocco123 wrote: »
    How leniant are correctors then marking, do answers have to be exactly the same as the marking scheme or how does it work, this is my only worry for chem

I think it says in the marking schemes that other answers are acceptable if they are correct, as in not all answers are listed. However I think for definitions especially you have to have the bold text.

Advertisement