Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate Chemistry [All Levels] Before and After Discussion****

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Q3 (f) is the answer that the rate of reaction is decreased by 1/2 because sodium thiosulfate is the limiting reagent and rate of reaction is affected by concentration ?

I wasn't sure, but I said it reduced the rate of the reaction. I was going to say it halved it, but that would mean they were directly proportional (straight line through origin), but they were only proportional, not directly I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

robman60 wrote: »
    I wasn't sure, but I said it reduced the rate of the reaction. I was going to say it halved it, but that would mean they were directly proportional (straight line through origin), but they were only proportional, not directly I think.

For concentration it is a linear relationship so half would've been right.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Caolan wrote: »
    Same reason they make you do a foreign language - most of the 3rd level courses demand a science and european language (not all)

it doesnt make sense when your 17/18 and are focused on something that doesnt need it- but as someone who didnt do a science at LC- it closes alot of doors later in life should you wish to apply for many courses.
    In fairness, a large amount of courses in colleges DON'T require a science. A language requirement is more common, especially in the NUI.

I agree with you that it closes some doors, but for a small minority of students those doors aren't a realistic prospect anyway ... they have no interest in or aptitude for sciences, and will struggle with them even at Junior Cert, let alone Leaving Cert.

I would certainly agree with schools strongly encouraging students to keep on a science for LC, and to keep their options open, but a school making it completely mandatory to my mind is a step too far. It actually ends up disadvantaging those students with no aptitude for them when it comes to points etc., as they are carrying a subject that they constantly struggle with and which they never wanted in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mahmoudsaid_1

can anyone solve this equilibrium question?
    10 moles of nitrogen and 30 moles of hydrogen were mixed and allowed to come to equilibrium in a sealed 5 litre vessel. There were 15 moles of ammonia in the vessel at equilibrium. Find the number of moles of hydrogen and nitrogen present in equilibrium and hence find Kc
    N2 + 3H2 -> 2NH3

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ko3p

can anyone solve this equilibrium question?
    10 moles of nitrogen and 30 moles of hydrogen were mixed and allowed to come to equilibrium in a sealed 5 litre vessel. There were 15 moles of ammonia in the vessel at equilibrium. Find the number of moles of hydrogen and nitrogen present in equilibrium and hence find Kc
    N2 + 3H2 -> 2NH3

Here you are: i.imgur(dot)com/EkyU6hR.jpg?1

• Advertisement
Advertisement