Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

****Leaving Certificate Chemistry [All Levels] Before and After Discussion****

• 10-06-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

A good few days to go yet but Chemistry is on our horizons people!

-Predictions for the experiment questions?

-Will it be a tough paper?

-What should we look over?

:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Oh god.

I'm scared. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Test for ethanoic acid and ethanol

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Thankfully this will be 3 hours cos it's my last exam and I'll just have freedom and Killarney in my head

Predictions:
    Ethene/ethyne

Can't remember the rest cos biology fried my head but i'll put them up later

marno21 wrote: »
    Thankfully this will be 3 hours cos it's my last exam and I'll just have freedom and Killarney in my head

I'm from killarney too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

mirrors wrote: »

I really hope you're correct because I haven't done anything in chemistry since January and I'm going to need a serious amount of cramming after accounting.

This exam could be excruciating for me.

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    I really hope you're correct because I haven't done anything in chemistry since January and I'm going to need a serious amount of cramming after accounting.

This exam could be excruciating for me.

Ammonium iron sulfate experiment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

Dreading this exam so much. If I study acid and bases, atomic theory, rates of reaction, equilibrium, radioactivity, gas and moles, the free ion radical, Bromination, some organic chem, atmospheric and industrial chemistry, do you guys think I can get a D3?
    I want to leave out as much maths as possible too, I can't figure out most of the maths questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭iamthestig

I'm thinking Soap and either iron tablet or ethanoic acid in vinegar. Maybe rates of reaction the q3

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Prep and properties of ethanal

Measuring rate of production of oxygen from hydrogen peroxide

Determine amount of water if crystallisation (either)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fionnacake

I'm really afraid for this paper, don't know why but I have a feeling it's going to be disgusting. My teacher predicted the iron tablets are going to be on section A which would be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lauraraff

any idea on ordianary level chemistry ??

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

A7XGirl wrote: »
    Dreading this exam so much. If I study acid and bases, atomic theory, rates of reaction, equilibrium, radioactivity, gas and moles, the free ion radical, Bromination, some organic chem, atmospheric and industrial chemistry, do you guys think I can get a D3?
    I want to leave out as much maths as possible too, I can't figure out most of the maths questions.

Yeah when you get some spare time 'attack' the exam questions and the marking scheme. What will come up can't be much different from things that have been asked before... I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

mirrors wrote: »

LOOK: Ethanoic Acid preparation cannot be asked in Section A, either can Ethanal prep!

d1234 wrote: »
    Prep and properties of ethanal

Measuring rate of production of oxygen from hydrogen peroxide

Determine amount of water if crystallisation (either)

These would be lovely, especially oxygen! Junior Cert stuff like :D
    fionnacake wrote: »
    I'm really afraid for this paper, don't know why but I have a feeling it's going to be disgusting. My teacher predicted the iron tablets are going to be on section A which would be grand

Like that question, only it can get confusing in the calculations when they're asking you for all sorts of iron percentages and you're not sure which figures to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

plmko wrote: »
    LOOK: Ethanoic Acid preparation cannot be asked in Section A, either can Ethanal prep!

?this is completely wrong and misleading !

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Eh they can. This year is the last year they're on the course because of the dichromate but they can appear as a q2 or if not as a 2 anywhere later on on the paper...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

I agree, we were told that we can't be asked the preparation well, because we didn't do it! However we can be asked to test for them and to do yield calculations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭booblefoop

Hoping for ethene/ethyne and a nice acid/base titration :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BunchOfDna

I think there's a good chance a full q on water will come up! Our teacher thinks the vinegar exp will come up too ..

BunchOfDna wrote: »
    I think there's a good chance a full q on water will come up! Our teacher thinks the vinegar exp will come up too ..

Water came up last year, unlikely to come up again.

I'd like to see vinegar on the paper though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

I would want the ethyne experiment to come up I know that so well :) for titration I would like the Iron tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    ?this is completely wrong and misleading !

No Ive had two teachers from completely different schools tell me they wont ask it in secction 1. One said they cant another said they wont want to as it would cause uproar as it has been deemed we shouldnt use these chemicals.
    So not misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CiaraMT

I was always told that although we were not allowed to actually do the experiment, they could still be examined. So they can't then?

After all papers I've sat so far I feel that any predictions are useless as I firmly believe the SEC wants to stray away from guessable papers.
    The moral of the story: COVER EVERYTHING!

Days 298 wrote: »
    No Ive had two teachers from completely different schools tell me they wont ask it in secction 1. One said they cant another said they wont want to as it would cause uproar as it has been deemed we shouldnt use these chemicals.
    So not misleading.

It's on the syllabus therefore it can be examined.

It was misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hotale.com wrote: »
    It's on the syllabus therefore it can be examined.

It was misleading.

It's not misleading. Section A examines your practical experience, i.e. the mandatory practical experiments. You can no longer carry out experiments using sodium dichromate or cobalt chloride. So they shouldn't turn up in Section A as you shouldn't have done the practical.

However the tests for ethanoic acid and ethanal can be asked as they involve no dichromate. Also there's nothing to stop the SEC asking anything about the experiments on Section B, but only theoretical knowledge.

I'm a chemistry teacher. We were told this at a chemistry inservice.

It's not misleading. Section A examines your practical experience, i.e. the mandatory practical experiments. You can no longer carry out experiments using sodium dichromate or cobalt chloride. So they shouldn't turn up in Section A as you shouldn't have done the practical.

However the tests for ethanoic acid and ethanal can be asked as they involve no dichromate. Also there's nothing to stop the SEC asking anything about the experiments on Section B, but only theoretical knowledge.

Our chemistry teacher told us the exact opposite, she said they could easily come up because this is their last year.

I'm looking over it anyway, better safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Our chemistry teacher told us the exact opposite, she said they could easily come up because this is their last year.

I'm looking over it anyway, better safe than sorry.

Better safe than sorry but this close to examines theres no point for someone whos cramming to waste time learning how to run an experiment with chemicals now viewed as unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The experiments with banned reagents can still come up however . It may be unlikely but that doesn't mean they can't examine them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 rocco123

My main worry regarding chemistry is the marking scheme, can somebody please explain how they are used? Does your answer have to be exact same as those in bold in the marking schemes, I know this is not the case for physics anyway which makes it a lot easier. Also say for a question on trends on atomic radii for example, if you say it increases due to an increase in nuclear charge rather than due to increasing nuclear charge will you get the marks?

Advertisement