Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seagulls nesting and being aggressive in city

• 08-06-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

wondering what my options are here. I live on rooftop apartments in eyre square and seagulls are nesting about our door. They are very aggressive and protective of the area and City Council says its private property so they cant move them. Anyone else have this problem or any advice? Neighbours have 6 year old twins that play outside and the seaguls coming in diving at 60 miles an hour with sharp beaks n talons aggressively is actually more serious that people realise!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

-Vega- wrote: »
    Hey guys,

wondering what my options are here. I live on rooftop apartments in eyre square and seagulls are nesting about our door. They are very aggressive and protective of the area and City Council says its private property so they cant move them. Anyone else have this problem or any advice? Neighbours have 6 year old twins that play outside and the seaguls coming in diving at 60 miles an hour with sharp beaks n talons aggressively is actually more serious that people realise!

Im pretty sure seagulls dont have talons, unless its hawks ye have nesting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How do you know they are travelling at 96 kilometres per hour?

We really need to hear the seagull's point of view - maybe you are the bad neighbour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Get in touch with your Management Company and make them aware of the issue. If you can get some written letters from your neighbors advising of the potential Health & Safety concerns for children (yada, yada....) they may do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jcro

If they are nesting they are off limits until the chicks fledge.
    Council should know that.!

After they fledge the management company can install bird spikes.

Don't know if they would help but you could call birdwatch Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Probably sick of youngsters trying to kick them after 100 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you renting or an owner?

If renting, you should be contacting your landlord, who contacts the MC, etc

If you're an owner, contact the MC yourself, maybe after trying the SPCA for advice. I'm not aware of seagulls being a protected species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

A good lacing Wd40 will get rid of pidgeons, worth a try for other birds too. Otherwise just break there nests up while there gone & repeat until they get the messaage,

Dan them sea gulls, coming over there, taking our jobs and women. living off handouts, enjoying the summer while were all at work then pissing off for the winter whe nthe going gets tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What do you do with the wd40?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

spray it at them with a lighter, flame thrower style

ah no just spray it round there area & nests, think the smell & residue drives them away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Notch000 wrote: »
    spray it at them with a lighter, flame thrower style

ah no just spray it round there area & nests, think the smell & residue drives them away

Even if the species isn't protected cruelty is still illegal. It's defined as causing unnecessary distress or suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Discodog wrote: »
    Even if the species isn't protected cruelty is still illegal. It's defined as causing unnecessary distress or suffering.

distress they are causing is worse. humans come before feckin birds

swiftman wrote: »

Strange reply with your username :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

While I would normally agree seagulls are big bastards and will probably fly away with one of the children.* I doubt they are too happy to have humans nearby so it is best to get rid of them before they lay eggs.

*Note:May be exaggerating

While I would normally agree seagulls are big bastards and will probably fly away with one of the children.* I doubt they are too happy to have humans nearby so it is best to get rid of them before they lay eggs.

*Note:May be exaggerating

I agree that humanely preventing them from nest building is the best option.

Chemicals like WD40 could cause injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The seagulls were there before the city existed, but as always it's the animal who is in the wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

The seagulls were there before the city existed, but as always it's the animal who is in the wrong.

The seagulls were on the apartment roof before the city existed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Patrickheg wrote: »
    The seagulls were on the apartment roof before the city existed?

:cool:

... seagulls are big bastards and will probably fly away with one of the children.* I doubt they are too happy to have humans nearby so it is best to get rid of them before they lay eggs.

What time of the year do the humans usually lay their eggs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

What time of the year do the humans usually lay their eggs?

Tuesdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

swiftman wrote: »

I think the Seagull might have a different opinion to yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Is the speed limit not 50km/h in the city?
    If these seagulls are doing c100km/h would the speed cops not be able to intervene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭galwayredgirl

snubbleste wrote: »
    How do you know they are travelling at 96 kilometres per hour?

Probably used the birdy equivalent of the Garda hairdryer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Kill the parents then take the chicks on as your own and train them in schutzhund, they make great guard pets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I agree that humanely preventing them from nest building is the best option.

Chemicals like WD40 could cause injury.

Take a big shìte beside the nest...that should do the trick

Get a cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Doom wrote: »

Arra now...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Doom wrote: »

Is there nothing that a big sh1te can't solve?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Is there nothing that a big sh1te can't solve?

A blast of piss??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

We need to confront this menace now before it's too late.
    “First it’s our burgers, next it will be our jobs and then our wives."

We need to confront this menace now before it's too late.
    See post #8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i know a postman and he told me he used to get attacked by them when delivering to eyre sq centre appts..that was over 5 years ago, had to report it in the end as they were getting more brazen each day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Some of them are big enough. I saw a few stood on shop street a while ago and they were almost as big as swans. I wouldn't like them outside my house tbh. Can of lynx and a lighter OP, before they lay eggs.

Great thread though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

Get fox urine. Reck their nests and spray it around the area. They won't re_nest then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

preytec wrote: »
    Get fox urine. Reck their nests and spray it around the area. They won't re_nest then

And end up in court if you're caught.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Some of them are big enough. I saw a few stood on shop street a while ago and they were almost as big as swans. I wouldn't like them outside my house tbh. Can of lynx and a lighter OP, before they lay eggs.

Great thread though :pac:

Yeah, I was taking the p8ss earlier in the thread, but am coming to think it's a real problem: there seem to be far more of them, and louder, and I ever remembered. Mr O'Bumble has even been heard talking about poisoning 'em - and had heard stories that it's due to changes in the way the fishing boats work (don't know how true they are).

Anyone know who's responsible for keeping the numbers down?

Anyone know who's responsible for keeping the numbers down?
    They'll be on the menu in some upmarket restaurants soon

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    They'll be on the menu in some upmarket restaurants soon
    They would tick a lot of boxes on the ould hip restaurant checklist.

Locally sourced, thrice killed ****ehawk served on a bed of twigs foraged from it's own nest. Served with a WD-40 aioli on an irregular shaped piece of chipboard salvaged from Carrowbrowne. Ethically treated because we paid a local animal hoarder to say so.

Put this on the menu, some white spirit and emulsion stained jamjars for glasses and neither pay the staff nor the taxman; we'll be lauded as restaurant visionaries.

Has anyone noticed that there's something really wrong with the pigeons around the city recently? Most of them missing toes, or with grotesquely deformed feet.

Has anyone noticed that there's something really wrong with the pigeons around the city recently? Most of them missing toes, or with grotesquely deformed feet.

Ah now... We deffo need a load of pics of these pigeons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Funny enough there were always two pigeons in particular that used to hang around at the train station, both with one pretty mangled foot..

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mack81

Its the seagulls that do that with their talons. They usually warm them first by cutting off feet and toes before a full on scrap occurs. Nasty f***ers both of them. Think Crips v Bloods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The problem is city people got soft and the animals know to take advantage. In the countryside most animals know their place, they sneak around humans but flee at the first sight. Next time you see a seagull causing trouble give it a swift kick up the hole, shout at it beat your chest. It might sound stupid and cruel but that's how the rest of the natural world works. You can't reason with most other animals you just have to be scarier than them. Galwegians need to start marking their territory aggressively.
    Could be in fighting, Usually injuries like that are from the same species, in species fighting usually ends with injuries rather than death. Something that would lead to all these bird issues would be over population.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Galwegians need to start marking their territory aggressively.

Ahh, there's plenty of that going on already .. at least in the canine way of doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I'm sure race week will cull their population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I walk up town to work every morning around 6.30am before the bins are collected. The seagulls, pigeons and crows rip the bin bags on every street to shreds. I've often stopped to watch them peck their way into a bag of rubbish.

The other morning there was a ripped bag with mussel shells and other crap all over Quay St. I feel sorry for the bin collection lads having to clean that mess up. Maybe stronger bags would stop them? Or force them to eat live children.

mack81 wrote: »
    Its the seagulls that do that with their talons. They usually warm them first by cutting off feet and toes before a full on scrap occurs. Nasty f***ers both of them. Think Crips v Bloods

I get that aspect of it, but some of these pigeons have seriously mutated feet - covered in growths and lumps. Not just regular battle injuries (plenty of those too though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

mack81 wrote: »

Seagulls don't have talons you numpty :pac: They aren't birds of prey, they're seabirds they have webbed feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

We need to find the Alpha Gull and take them down. Their society will fall apart without leadership....

Seagull swallows a rabbit on The Skelligs

Next: A dingo seagull took my baby!

• Advertisement
Advertisement