Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Im about 95% sure binomial theorem is NOT on the course this year.

I'm gonna look over it incase, there's not too much to it!

And amortisation formula for whoever was asking, you need to be able to prove it :)

Oh and we have to be able to prove sum of n to infinity and to n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I'll actually be annoyed if they don't ask for a proof of some sort tomorrow. I made an effort to learn those proofs, it'd be nice to know I'd didn't waste my time!

Also there are two proofs ye are leaving out:

Tn=Sn-Sn-1
    Sn= a(1-r^t) / 1-r

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

so wait, pascals triangle is not on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

so wait, pascals triangle is not on it?

You probably won't be asked it directly but it is on our course so you'll need to know how to do it for binomial expansion (especially if we're asked a identity using De Moivre's theorem)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Is there anywhere I can get a definitive list of things I need to learn off for tomorrow such as proofs?

I have some but not sure of everything we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    You probably won't be asked it directly but it is on our course so you'll need to know how to do it for binomial expansion (especially if we're asked a identity using De Moivre's theorem)

and is the binomial theorem people have mentioned earlier. is it not on paper 2?

Aspiring wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can get a definitive list of things I need to learn off for tomorrow such as proofs?

I have some but not sure of everything we need.

Prove √2 is irrational
    Construct √2 and √3
    Proof by induction:
    1+2+...+n
    1²+2²+...+n²
    1³+2³+...+n³
    a+ar+ar²+...+ar^(n-1) = a(1-r^n) / 1-r
    De Moivre's theorem for n E N, n=0 & n E Z.
    Derive sum to infinity
    Amortisation formula

and is the binomial theorem people have mentioned earlier. is it not on paper 2?

You might be thinking of Bernoulli Trials in statistics and probability?

• Advertisement

Prove √2 is irrational
    Construct √2 and √3
    Proof by induction:
    1+2+...+n
    1²+2²+...+n²
    1³+2³+...+n³
    a+ar+ar²+...+ar^(n-1) a(1-r^n) / 1-r
    De Moivre's theorem for n E N, n=0 & n E Z.
    Derive sum to infinity
    Amortisation formula

Hardly everything is it? Sounds a bit easy :pac:

Hardly everything is it? Sounds a bit easy :pac:

That's it all :p

Do you know what never comes up? Arithmetic! Just thinking about there..Theres a whole chapter dedicated to it but they never test it, imagine getting a question on JC stuff like tax and universal social charge!! Too easy I guess..

Do we think it'll be a handy paper to keep boosting the Honours Maths numbers or will they just fúck us over :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Do we think it'll be a handy paper to keep boosting the Honours Maths numbers or will they just fúck us over :pac:

It just has to be easy.... Otherwise I'm fecked.

Hotale.com wrote: »
    It just has to be easy.... Otherwise I'm fecked.

I got a C in the first mock (DEB)
    I got a B in the second mock (Examcraft)
    My mathematical senses point to an A here ;)

I'm only messing, I'd love a B tho! :p

You'll do grand lad, look at last year, easy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Colleges are saying the standard of maths has gone way down recently..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

they'll want to show that all the mistakes in last years paper didn't impact on anyones result so, it'll be pretty much the exact same difficulty of last year.... I hope anyways!

they'll want to show that all the mistakes in last years paper didn't impact on anyones result so, it'll be pretty much the exact same difficulty of last year.... I hope anyways!

Even if not, we'll get the grade we deserve at the end of the day.

Not surprised the standard of maths has gone down. However, the maths you tend to be doing in college is quite different to what we do :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭PaleMoonlight

How do you prove the Amortisation formula? I don't remember learning how and can't find it in my book

Not surprised the standard of maths has gone down. However, the maths you tend to be doing in college is quite different to what we do :pac:

yeah i heard now they have to run extra modules to cover the stuff thats been left out of the project maths course

• Advertisement

XtotheZ wrote: »
    yeah i heard now they have to run extra modules to cover the stuff thats been left out of the project maths course

They had a choice really: Have a high standard of maths or, have a lot of people doing higher level maths.

Quite clear which was picked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

Eh, how does one derive the sum to infinity formula? :o

Also, was looking through a few Alison.com videos and they said the proof of amortirisation isn't on the course! As for binomal expansion, it says it is on the syllabus at the start of educate exam papers anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 daaniellerc

Can I be right in saying that co-ordinate geometry of the line/circle can come up in paper 1? Such as asking you to find the equation of a tangent to a curve at a given point?

Eh, how does one derive the sum to infinity formula? :o

Also, was looking through a few Alison.com videos and they said the proof of amortirisation isn't on the course! As for binomal expansion, it says it is on the syllabus at the start of educate exam papers anyways.

derive Amortisation is on the course, our teacher put a good bit of emphasis on it. Binomial expansion is also on the course and our teacher also put a good bit of emphasis on it.

Binomial expansion is handy enough

I also need the sum to infinity, greatly appreciated :D if anyone has a link for it

Sum to infinity & amortisation proofs here
    Can I be right in saying that co-ordinate geometry of the line/circle can come up in paper 1? Such as asking you to find the equation of a tangent to a curve at a given point?

No that's only paper two :)

Is that your writing?

Is that your writing?

Yep

Yep

So damn neat, thanks btw :)

Thanks for the sum to infinity.

Does anyone have anything on the trigonometric formulas you have to derive?

Those are all paper two but here's all the trig proofs too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

They're all in the book.

End of it here since I can't attach another pic to that post

• Registered Users Posts: 27 c0unterpart

could anyone please explain the difference between injective surjective and bijective ? only bit of paper one thats dogey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

For the sum to infinity is it necessary to separate it into the two fractions? In my book it just let's r^n = 0 and that's it :o

aleatorio wrote: »
    For the sum to infinity is it necessary to separate it into the two fractions? In my book it just let's r^n = 0 and that's it :o

Haven't a clue but if your book has it that way you should be fine :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Whistlingmilk

No that's only paper two :)

Equation of a line: y-y1= m(x-x1)
    Slop of a line: y= mx+c

Knowledge of those formula can be needed in the Calculus question, if they ask a question regarding a tangent to the curve, m being the slope of the tangent aka dy/dx.

2012 6(b), for example: http:// examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/LC003ALP130EV .pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

could anyone please explain the difference between injective surjective and bijective ? only bit of paper one thats dogey
    You should probably look it up in your book, as it explains it in more detail, but I'll give it in simple terms.

Injective: Each input gives a unique output. This means no two inputs give an identical output

Surjective: codomain=range

Bijective: Both injective and surjective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

derive Amortisation is on the course, our teacher put a good bit of emphasis on it. Binomial expansion is also on the course and our teacher also put a good bit of emphasis on it.

Binomial expansion is handy enough

I also need the sum to infinity, greatly appreciated :D if anyone has a link for it
    Oh holy sh!te is amortisation proof 100% definitely on the course! ! Our teaher never even mentioned it to us :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

(This is me testing myself to see if I can remember :pac:)

I believe surjective means that a horizontal line can intersect it more than once, all y values have to have at least one corresponding x value (so, it can't have asymptotes or whatnot), think something along the lines of a cubic equation

Then injective means that it has to have only one, or no, corresponding y values, so a horizontal line will either intersect it once or not at all, not all y values need to have an x value

Then bijective is essentially a combination of the two, it means every y value has one, and only one, x value, and every y value is corresponding to an x value, something along the lines of say, a straight line graph, a horizontal line will cut it only once :P

Can someone confirm if all this is correct...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 2014lchelp

Our teachers gave us a list of learning stuff and I'd recommend to learn before tomorrow;
    How to construct root 2 and 3
    Proof of de moivres theorem by induction
    Proof by contradiction (there's about 8 examples) incl.
    Prove the sum of 2 odd numbers is always even
    Prove of geometric series by induction
    Differentiation by first principles formula
    I think that's it :) if you have these down at least if one of these comes up you'll feel more at ease with it . Hope this helps!

I have Active Maths and I'm pretty sure there's no derivation of either the amortisation proof or sum to infinity proof. I'm not even going to bother covering it at this point, it'd only frustrate me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Colleges are saying the standard of maths has gone way down recently..

It has, a lot! My year was the first to get bonus points, and the drop out rate for science and engineering courses went up a lot from previous years, with many saying they couldn't handle the jump in maths.

True, but a lot of stuff would be built on the basics you are learning atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

robman60 wrote: »
    I have Active Maths and I'm pretty sure there's no derivation of either the amortisation proof or sum to infinity proof. I'm not even going to bother covering it at this point, it'd only frustrate me!

I was just about to say the same. Ive never heard of proving amortisation before :confused:

Deriving the Amortisation formula is 100% on the course. I've a feeling there will be a lot of financial maths tomorrow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Whistlingmilk

Oh holy sh!te is amortisation proof 100% definitely on the course! ! Our teaher never even mentioned it to us :(

It's on the syllabus, says so on the bottom right of page 25:

http: //www .ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/Syllabuses_and_Assessment/LC_Maths_for_examination_in_2014 .pdf

• Advertisement

peekachoo wrote: »
    I was just about to say the same. Ive never heard of proving amortisation before :confused:

The book 1 is pretty horrific though, so I'm not surprised. All the examples skip steps with no explanation and it leaves you to try to figure out what they did in their half-arsed examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

The book 1 is pretty horrific though, so I'm not surprised. All the examples skip steps with no explanation and it leaves you to try to figure out what they did in their half-arsed examples.

True. Did anyone post the proof around this thread? I didn't check :P

peekachoo wrote: »
    True. Did anyone post the proof around this thread? I didn't check :P

Check near the end of the last page

• Registered Users Posts: 27 c0unterpart

You should probably look it up in your book, as it explains it in more detail, but I'll give it in simple terms.

Injective: Each input gives a unique output. This means no two inputs give an identical output

Surjective: codomain=range

Bijective: Both injective and surjective.

is codomain the output values ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 2014lchelp

aleatorio wrote: »
    (This is me testing myself to see if I can remember :pac:)

I believe surjective means that a horizontal line can intersect it more than once, all y values have to have at least one corresponding x value (so, it can't have asymptotes or whatnot), think something along the lines of a cubic equation

Then injective means that it has to have only one, or no, corresponding y values, so a horizontal line will either intersect it once or not at all, not all y values need to have an x value

Then bijective is essentially a combination of the two, it means every y value has one, and only one, x value, and every y value is corresponding to an x value, something along the lines of say, a straight line graph, a horizontal line will cut it only once :P

Can someone confirm if all this is correct...?

Yes this is right but don't forget this ; in order for it to be surjective the range must equal the codomain I.e. every y value has one x value. But in injective the range does not have to equal the codomain. I.e some y values may not have an x value. Then in order for it to be bijective it must be both in ejective and surjective! Therefore the range must equal the codomain (as in surjective) And remember. A function can only have an inverse if and only if it is bijective :) (makesure you know how to get the inverse)

• Advertisement
Advertisement