Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any info out there on TOOL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

Maye83 wrote: »
    Random video, but it's great:

That was excellent, the kid on the bass was so in to it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

more or less on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

New Album is reportedly "100% Finished".
    Here’s a sentence eight years in the making: Tool have finished their new studio album.

According to Crave Online, guitarist Adam Jones has confirmed that the long-awaited follow-up to 2006′s 10,000 Days is ”100% done” and should arrive later this year.

In an interview with Loudwire last summer, drummer Danny Carey insinuated that some outside forces were holding up the album’s release. ”We could have the record finished by the end of the year – that’s a possibility, but the logistics of getting it manufactured and getting the record company in line and all this stuff, I doubt we’ll be able to get it out before Christmas. We’ll see how it goes. Most likely, it’ll be early 2014.”

Meanwhile, frontman Maynard James Keenan spoke about the band’s intricate recording process in an interview with Rolling Stone last November. ”I don’t write the music. They write the music,” he said of his bandmates. “I wait for them to bring music to me. They tend to go back over and over stuff. It’s a long process. For a person like me, it can be a very tedious process.”

Keenan continued, ”In some ways, they are bigger perfectionists. But you can only help support their talent so long. They don’t have to go through it 700 times. They can trust that first thought. But that’s their process, so you gotta let them do it.” And is that process happening? “I couldn’t tell you.”

Tool is currently touring the U.S., their first such jaunt in two years. Thus far, they’ve stuck to the greatest hits.

I'll believe it when I see it but I can't say this news hasn't excited me!

There's also some videos floating around of their latest live performances and they look spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Well "100% done" is a pretty unambiguous statement, I'm gonna allow myself some excitement :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I hate to burst everyone's bubble about the new Tool album being ''100% Done''. I'm afraid you've all been trolled by the band.

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/rumors/adam-jones-new-tool-record-is-done

• Advertisement

:(

Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

I'm in Portland on business and was lucky enough to snag a couple of tickets for the show that someone posted a clip of earlier. Mind bending visuals and a near perfect performance. No new material played but that's fair enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it'll still probably be out this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

it'll still probably be out this year

Been saying that a few years now though. In all honesty Tool treat their fans terribly, an album every 5 years at the absolute best and 10-12 song setlists when they tour, as good live as they are. Maynard spends way too much time pricking around, guy is a knobhead imo, albeit a hugely talented one.

Thought 10,000 days was good but not great and didn't hold a candle to the previous two. Two albums this millenium is a ****ing joke though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

spiralism wrote: »
    Been saying that a few years now though. In all honesty Tool treat their fans terribly, an album every 5 years at the absolute best and 10-12 song setlists when they tour, as good live as they are. Maynard spends way too much time pricking around, guy is a knobhead imo, albeit a hugely talented one.

Thought 10,000 days was good but not great and didn't hold a candle to the previous two. Two albums this millenium is a ****ing joke though.

I get where you're coming from, but I would rather wait for them to release an album when they're ready than be the kind of band churning out a forgettable album every couple of years and grinding the road constantly. These days that seems like the only way to make a living as a musician, and I don't think that's a good thing.

However Tool can afford to have such huge breaks between albums, more power to them. I like to think the music will benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

They owe nothing to anybody but themselves. They don't have to play for anyone or make music for anyone, they choose to. To say they treat their fans terribly is mad. They aren't some sort of company providing a service to loyal customers, they're a bunch of artists, musicians or whatever you wanna call them. They can take as long about it as they like, really and shouldn't be beholden to some over entitled individuals who have an over reaching sense of ownership about Tool's music. They're all involved in other stuff and with their art becoming more complex as the years wore on, it takes a little longer. Those live performances look stellar. Love to see them again.

To borrow a phrase originally written about George RR Martin and his tendency to take years to finish books, "Tool are not your bitch".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I don't think I'd say they treat their fans terribly, and when they do tour, they are fantastic live. That said, they have said in the past few years that they won't be touring much any more, as they felt that the long, year-long tours are too taxing on them physically. Which is perfectly fine, except it means we probably won't get to see them over this side of the Atlantic again. It would be nice if they released an official dvd for all the fans who don't get to see them, but I've read that the won't (and discourage people taping their shows) as they feel their gigs are a personal moment that you have to experience in the flesh.

I'm looking forward to the new album with a passing interest, I'm sure it'll come out eventually, but 10K days was pretty forgettable apart from 1 or 2 tracks IMO. I'm sure it'll be a great effort with lots of depth to the lyrics and music, but just can't get excited about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

They're currently on a US tour, and many people are uploading live audio/footage of jams/extended intros to songs that are rumoured to be snippets of new songs.

There is a precedent for this, when they'd play a snippet of Wings for Marie on the lateralus tours..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

spiralism wrote: »

The average Tool song is about 6-7 mins, so a 10-12 song set list could easily run an hour and 20 mins, which is fine if you ask me. I consider Tool's music to be unique and of serious standard, and I'm not in the band, so I'm not sure how easily it would be to put these albums out any quicker.

The great thing about Tool fans, is they usually have a fairly broad taste in music so there's things to listen to in the meantime, especially in the Australian scene (Karnivool, COG, etc).

Being into Tool isn't a subscription for fans, and I'm sure being IN any band isn't really an obligation to do anything at any given pace. Tool aren't a pop band, like. "Tool treat their fans terribly" is a bit of a weird statement, to be honest.

It would be nice if they released an official dvd for all the fans who don't get to see them, but I've read that the won't (and discourage people taping their shows) as they feel their gigs are a personal moment that you have to experience in the flesh.

They recorded some of the lateralus tour, and some of the 10k tour I think, and they had planned a dvd, but realised it didnt fit the style of the band. Adam Jones mentioned they'd rather do a movie type thing along the lines of Pink Floyd's The Wall, but that they would need funding from studios et al. They dont have the clout that metallica has to do something like through the never.

In fact, when making the video for vicarious the production company doing the cgi screwed them over and Jones had to call in a favour from an industry friend to complete the video as a nixer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Tool are on the ticket but it was Whipping Boy who played the gig.
    Just found the old ticket stub here, 24th Aug 1993 - £10 & yea Tool on the ticket to support RATM. Didn`t know it ended up being Whipping Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The author of this piece puts forward some questionable statements, I have never considered TOOL a Nu Metal band....but have a read

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2014/05/6_nu-metal_bands_you_shouldnt.php?page=3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that was very almost funny

• Advertisement

Tool's Webmaster posted the following update last week. It's kind of cryptic, as are all his posts but it looks like things are moving along.
    BMK wrote:
    TOOL WRITING UPDATE

The other day an insider (and by "insider" I mean truly an insider!) told me that since getting back to working on material for the next record, things have been going VERY well. Now, don't read more into this than it suggests - which is that there have been some good writing/arranging sessions as of late. Progress!.. We'll take that any day!

Miprocin wrote: »
    Tool's Webmaster posted the following update last week. It's kind of cryptic, as are all his posts but it looks like things are moving along.

Historically, they've never ****ed around in the studio. when they go in, it's almost all written, so i'll be excited when they're in a recording studio. that means an album isnt far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Historically, they've never ****ed around in the studio. when they go in, it's almost all written, so i'll be excited when they're in a recording studio. that means an album isnt far away.

Only be waiting another 2 years so :P

Somnus wrote: »
    Only be waiting another 2 years so :P
    Well, if there's one thing Tool has taught me all these years it's patience ;)

Meanwhile, here's an interesting interview with Adam Jones.

Why do I always think of Chewbacca when I see Adam Jones :/ Terrible I know, but I can't help it!

Anyway, Yay, great news bout the studio work!

Vaxxine wrote: »
    Why do I always think of Chewbacca when I see Adam Jones :/ Terrible I know, but I can't help it!

Anyway, Yay, great news bout the studio work!

rehearsal studio work, not recording studio work.

rehearsal studio work, not recording studio work.

Got that!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm not crazy into tool, like their music but not part of the cult, but that's a great interview :D really genuine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

640x360.jpg
    Tool’s long-awaited fifth album could be nearing completion, if a studio photo posted by guitarist Adam Jones is anything to go by. He uploaded a picture of frontman Maynard James Keenan sitting in with his bandmates – and it’s known he doesn’t normally join proceedings until the music is in an advanced state. Keenan said earlier this year: “I don’t write the music; I wait for them to bring music to me.”

Jones has tagged his picture “#SmokeOnTheHorizon” – which could mean the follow-up to 2006’s 10,000 Days might arrive next year.

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2014-10-27/tool-in-studio-with-frontman-keenan

Advertisement