Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Is there somewhere in town a fellow could buy a top hat? I know I can buy online but I have no idea what size I'd need. I have rather a large head so would ideally need a measurement.

There's a hat shop in Stephens Green SC, not sure of quality or sizes, but they defo have top hats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Twee. wrote: »
    There's a hat shop in Stephens Green SC, not sure of quality or sizes, but they defo have top hats.

Well then, I must pop in there and have a look. I know the place you're talking about- it's at the end of the escalators. It just never came to mind.

Thanks Twee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Is there a H&M in Galway? I checked their store locator and there's none showing up. I hope it's a mistake and there is a store there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭saythatagain

Is there a H&M in Galway? I checked their store locator and there's none showing up. I hope it's a mistake and there is a store there :(

There is definitely no H&M in Galway. Athlone or Limerick any good?

There is definitely no H&M in Galway. Athlone or Limerick any good?
    Nope unfortunately I am not near Athlone or Limerick. :(

• Advertisement

I just spotted this bag on Brown Thomas website and immediately fell in love, its beautiful.

http://www.brownthomas.com/marc-by-marc-jacobs/goodbye-columbus-bb/invt/175x3455xm0001417a81710

9598855medium.jpg

Anyone know where I might find something similar, preferably at a lower price? €525 is unfortunately way out of my budget. :(

I really need to win the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

I used to post all the time but since I had my little girl 15 months ago non-necessities have gone out the window! Well for me anyway, she's the very height of toddler fashion :D

Anywho! I used to be quite quirky, vintagey. Dresses everyday and heels. However I'm finding I don't look right. I look and feel much better smart/casual. Superdry bodywarmer, nice top, skinny jeans and uggs or plimsolls. I even wore a lipsy dress to a wedding and it suited me much better than my many stop staring dresses.

So what do I do? Give up on my old beauties and start building up a wardrobe of yummy mummy clothes? (Dear god!) or persevere with my old clothes and maybe experiment with different new pieces? Do your worst fashiony typed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

https://www.facebook.com/NCADFashionShow2014?fref=ts

Some interesting stuff looks about to come out of NCAD this year, the Fashion show page is live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Piper101 wrote: »
    I used to post all the time but since I had my little girl 15 months ago non-necessities have gone out the window! Well for me anyway, she's the very height of toddler fashion :D

Anywho! I used to be quite quirky, vintagey. Dresses everyday and heels. However I'm finding I don't look right. I look and feel much better smart/casual. Superdry bodywarmer, nice top, skinny jeans and uggs or plimsolls. I even wore a lipsy dress to a wedding and it suited me much better than my many stop staring dresses.

So what do I do? Give up on my old beauties and start building up a wardrobe of yummy mummy clothes? (Dear god!) or persevere with my old clothes and maybe experiment with different new pieces? Do your worst fashiony typed ;)

Mix smart casual with vintage pieces and accessories like old shoes and bags or a funky hat and jewelry, whatever fits your taste. Try making a pinterest board and to get inspired. Theres so many millions of style variations out there I say keep experimenting until you find something that fits your personality and don't resign yourself to clothed you feel trapped in ",)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Never thought id be asking this question as the solution is to not wear them but kinda don't want to buy another pair. So I have a pair of susst shoes loverly got them for a wedding last year but feck they are a killer on the big toe. I don't normally were heels, would have lots of flip flops person. Anyone here have any tips on how to make them cosier or not so sore on the toes, they are fine when you first put them on but half an hour later tis ouch.. Just don't have the cash to go buy another pair so looking for ideas, I really thought of bubble wrapping them haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Milly33 wrote: »
    Never thought id be asking this question as the solution is to not wear them but kinda don't want to buy another pair. So I have a pair of susst shoes loverly got them for a wedding last year but feck they are a killer on the big toe. I don't normally were heels, would have lots of flip flops person. Anyone here have any tips on how to make them cosier or not so sore on the toes, they are fine when you first put them on but half an hour later tis ouch.. Just don't have the cash to go buy another pair so looking for ideas, I really thought of bubble wrapping them haha
    I bought susst black heels lately as they were only €15 and found the same problem! Only thing I can think of is using a shoehorn on them to stretch them out a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

didn't even think of a shoe horn thank you might work.. yeah I think tis the brand alright I as going mad as I brought two pairs and went with wearing these on the day and when I returned the others she said oh yeah the susst are a killer..was miffed she didn't point that out to me at the beginning..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

There's been a fire at the ASOS warehouse:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-27954344

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Luno wrote: »
    There's been a fire at the ASOS warehouse:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-27954344

Noooo :eek: All the lovely clothes :(:(

Noooo :eek: All the lovely clothes :(:(

My initial thought! I think all is okay though its scary to think someone would do it intentionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Luckily, noone seems to have been injured. Some of the tweets are so unbelievable with people complaining about not getting their orders and 'thanking' Asos for inconveniencing them. Seems so selfish.

Guys is it okay to wear a cardigan to an interview for a position as an assitant in a pharmacy? I have a blazer but the black doesn't match the pants I was planning on wearing and I feel the cardigan just looks better than a poorly matched pants and blazer? The dress code says smart attire. Any advice much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I've worn a cardigan before, and I've seen plenty of others do it too. A blazer would probably be too warm in this humidity anyway, so a cardigan is the sensible option. As long as you look neat and tidy, it's fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Yeah I'm sure a cardigan will be just fine, once you're well-presented generally. I don't think they'll expect you to stifle yourself in a heavy blazer, just because it's a job interview :)

Thanks for the reassurance I've decided to stick to my cardigan, it's nice and new so should look neat and hopefully this interview will be my last for a while! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Heard at the weekend that Brown Thomas Cork, Limerick and Galway will no longer be stocking Mulberry handbags. Instead, all stock will be available from Brown Thomas Dublin only. One of the sales assistants at the handbags area told me that they'll be phased out in 2-3 weeks. So in future, if you want to oggle at new season or the classics, you will have to scarper to Dublin........Very sad news indeed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Doing my makeup this morning I did my first eyes eyeliner perfectly, then half way through the second eye it basically dried up :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Not really off topic but didn't want to post a new thread for this.

Quiet a 'futuristic' pair of Nikes
    KD7-Calm-Before-The-Storm-Pair-635x332.jpg

link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

dinneenp wrote: »
    Not really off topic but didn't want to post a new thread for this.

Quiet a 'futuristic' pair of Nikes
    KD7-Calm-Before-The-Storm-Pair-635x332.jpg

link

They look absolutely horrific.

Oasis - I paid full whack for that stupid dress only a few weeks ago and now you've decided to reduce it to over half price?!? Anyone else ever experience this? I actually visited several shops to find my size in the dress thinking to myself great it'll be sold out soon but no they are all in stock on their website at half price, very frustrating. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

Could you return it and buy it again? :P
    I hate when that happens! It's happened to me a few times that the next day the thing has gone down. Why don't the sales assistants warn you?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Oasis - I paid full whack for that stupid dress only a few weeks ago and now you've decided to reduce it to over half price?!? Anyone else ever experience this? I actually visited several shops to find my size in the dress thinking to myself great it'll be sold out soon but no they are all in stock on their website at half price, very frustrating. :(

Absolutely no idea if it would work(just an idea that came to mind) but could you buy one in your size, then if you still have the receipt for the full price one, return the sale dress(with its labels still intact) with the old receipt to get the difference back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Praying desperately that this dress comes back in returns in my size... I have been refreshing this page for the past 4 days to no avail...... Pray for me folks :)http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Baroque-Embellished-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3327935&r=2

miss-p wrote: »
    Could you return it and buy it again? :P
    I hate when that happens! It's happened to me a few times that the next day the thing has gone down. Why don't the sales assistants warn you?!
    deise_girl wrote: »
    Absolutely no idea if it would work(just an idea that came to mind) but could you buy one in your size, then if you still have the receipt for the full price one, return the sale dress(with its labels still intact) with the old receipt to get the difference back?

I would have done this but I needed it yesterday so no returning now :( I wasn't even mad about it in the first place which is what really annoys me.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else have as much bad luck as me with the clothing sizes in Penneys?

I have a few tops from them ranging in sizes 6-14 and they all fit perfectly.

I bought a peachy-coral one last week, size 12 and its nearly too small on me, yet in most other shops I am a 10 in tops, and 12 in jeans.

My mum has two pairs of skinny jeans from them, a 10 and a 14, both are the same length, waist size etc when put lying on top of each other.

So frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I find Penneys' sizing to be all over the place, and often have to size up for things like underwear and swimwear.

Trying on first is the only way to guarantee something will fit. For the prices though, I don't mind too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I've kind of given up on Penneys really, find that paying more elsewhere means I have to buy less and saves me money in the long run. Not a Penneys snob mind you, still go in for underwear, hairbobbles etc (and love their homeware).
    But I totally agree with you on sizing. I'm a size 16, there's things i own out of there in a size 12 and yet, there are some items that even a size 20 doesn't fit me. It drives me mad and I just avoid clothes in there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=96516973

Came across these yesterday and they look 10 times better in the flesh. LK Bennett Francis...... I need to get a pair for the missus. Not feckin' cheap though :(

The dress has been reduced a further 10 euro, I'm not shopping in Oasis again, after finding it so hard to get this dress in my size both online and in stores, it is in full stock on the website and presumably in stores. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The dress has been reduced a further 10 euro, I'm not shopping in Oasis again, after finding it so hard to get this dress in my size both online and in stores, it is in full stock on the website and presumably in stores. :mad:

Stores are allowed reduce prices as they please, a bit of bad luck due to timing is no reason to boycott them for the rest of your days!

• Advertisement

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Stores are allowed reduce prices as they please, a bit of bad luck due to timing is no reason to boycott them for the rest of your days!

I know I know, I am just very upset, knowing me I will be back in there in a weeks time!

Something similar happened to me. I bought a dress on ASOS for a wedding, paid just over €70 for it, and now it's reduced to €41.

PITA unfortunately, just one of those things really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Don't think this warrants it's own thread so I'll put it here!

How does everybody with Toms here keep them clean? I've started to wear those pop socks you can get with them (probably should have done so all along :P) but they could do with a wash. They're too fragile for the washing machine though ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Don't think this warrants it's own thread so I'll put it here!

How does everybody with Toms here keep them clean? I've started to wear those pop socks you can get with them (probably should have done so all along :P) but they could do with a wash. They're too fragile for the washing machine though ?

I've a couple of pairs of Toms so I've a couple of tips for you. Firstly I always wear them with with the no show style socks I get mine in penny's the quality's not great but there cheap and they work. If they have gotten dirty I will wash them now I do hand wash them using a small amount of hot water a but if hand washing powder and a soft bristle brush I use a toothbrush. I then leave them to dry making sure they've dried fully. I've usually put a bit of newspaper in them but I don't overstuff them. Now you could try putting them in your washing machine on a hand wash or delicates cycle but I haven't tried that yet so I can't tell you how it works.

Can I ask, what are toms? I have never heard of them before :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

All the pretty scarves for winter sell out way too fast:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

All the pretty scarves for winter sell out way too fast:(

If you don't mind buying online, etsy have some lovely scarves. I've ordered an oversize, knitted navy cowl style for myself. :) I ordered a pistachio green one for my friend and it was so pretty I needed one too :pac:

bnagrrl wrote: »
    If you don't mind buying online, etsy have some lovely scarves. I've ordered an oversize, knitted navy cowl style for myself. :) I ordered a pistachio green one for my friend and it was so pretty I needed one too :pac:

I always get overwhelmed on Etsy and end up not getting anything instead of getting everything! :o I will definitely have a browse and see if I can see anything, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Just Janice

Littlewoods online are worth a look also. I always find them really easy to receive deliveries from and more importantly to return to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Can't recommend Zara enough for scarves! Really good value and so cosy. Picked one up recently and now I want every colour they have, they're massive, like blankets, and oh so fleecy and snuggly.

Can't recommend Zara enough for scarves! Really good value and so cosy. Picked one up recently and now I want every colour they have, they're massive, like blankets, and oh so fleecy and snuggly.

Had my eye on one, out of stock on the website so went into my local and none either :( I'll probably pick up a different one cause they're lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Had my eye on one, out of stock on the website so went into my local and none either :( I'll probably pick up a different one cause they're lovely.

I was in the zara in Dundrum today and they had a plethora of scarves, all the ones I've seen on the website plus a few I hadn't. But if you're no where near there I could try to get the one you're after and post it to you if that's any use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I have a general idea of a skirt I want, but I have no clue where to find it. I just don't know the shops well enough. I'm looking for a midi skirt to go with a pair of white suede Docs, made of a heavy material for winter and casual enough for day time wear. Anything I've found that I like is made of a jersey material which just doesn't work for the cold weather for me (and goes weird when you're wearing tights under it.) If I had money I'd pay a friend to make one for me and take me fabric shopping.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Im looking at clothes for Christmas and theres a few pieces on New Looks website.. I was thinking of just ordering a heap of them and getting free delivery and then just returning what I didnt want. Are returns a handy enough process with New Look? Can I just bring them back in store?

• Advertisement
Advertisement