Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Is there somewhere in town a fellow could buy a top hat? I know I can buy online but I have no idea what size I'd need. I have rather a large head so would ideally need a measurement.

There's a hat shop in Stephens Green SC, not sure of quality or sizes, but they defo have top hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Twee. wrote: »
    There's a hat shop in Stephens Green SC, not sure of quality or sizes, but they defo have top hats.

Well then, I must pop in there and have a look. I know the place you're talking about- it's at the end of the escalators. It just never came to mind.

Thanks Twee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Is there a H&M in Galway? I checked their store locator and there's none showing up. I hope it's a mistake and there is a store there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭saythatagain

Is there a H&M in Galway? I checked their store locator and there's none showing up. I hope it's a mistake and there is a store there :(

There is definitely no H&M in Galway. Athlone or Limerick any good?

There is definitely no H&M in Galway. Athlone or Limerick any good?
    Nope unfortunately I am not near Athlone or Limerick. :(

• Advertisement

I just spotted this bag on Brown Thomas website and immediately fell in love, its beautiful.

http://www.brownthomas.com/marc-by-marc-jacobs/goodbye-columbus-bb/invt/175x3455xm0001417a81710

9598855medium.jpg

Anyone know where I might find something similar, preferably at a lower price? €525 is unfortunately way out of my budget. :(

I really need to win the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

I used to post all the time but since I had my little girl 15 months ago non-necessities have gone out the window! Well for me anyway, she's the very height of toddler fashion :D

Anywho! I used to be quite quirky, vintagey. Dresses everyday and heels. However I'm finding I don't look right. I look and feel much better smart/casual. Superdry bodywarmer, nice top, skinny jeans and uggs or plimsolls. I even wore a lipsy dress to a wedding and it suited me much better than my many stop staring dresses.

So what do I do? Give up on my old beauties and start building up a wardrobe of yummy mummy clothes? (Dear god!) or persevere with my old clothes and maybe experiment with different new pieces? Do your worst fashiony typed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

https://www.facebook.com/NCADFashionShow2014?fref=ts

Some interesting stuff looks about to come out of NCAD this year, the Fashion show page is live!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Piper101 wrote: »
    I used to post all the time but since I had my little girl 15 months ago non-necessities have gone out the window! Well for me anyway, she's the very height of toddler fashion :D

Anywho! I used to be quite quirky, vintagey. Dresses everyday and heels. However I'm finding I don't look right. I look and feel much better smart/casual. Superdry bodywarmer, nice top, skinny jeans and uggs or plimsolls. I even wore a lipsy dress to a wedding and it suited me much better than my many stop staring dresses.

So what do I do? Give up on my old beauties and start building up a wardrobe of yummy mummy clothes? (Dear god!) or persevere with my old clothes and maybe experiment with different new pieces? Do your worst fashiony typed ;)

Mix smart casual with vintage pieces and accessories like old shoes and bags or a funky hat and jewelry, whatever fits your taste. Try making a pinterest board and to get inspired. Theres so many millions of style variations out there I say keep experimenting until you find something that fits your personality and don't resign yourself to clothed you feel trapped in ",)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Never thought id be asking this question as the solution is to not wear them but kinda don't want to buy another pair. So I have a pair of susst shoes loverly got them for a wedding last year but feck they are a killer on the big toe. I don't normally were heels, would have lots of flip flops person. Anyone here have any tips on how to make them cosier or not so sore on the toes, they are fine when you first put them on but half an hour later tis ouch.. Just don't have the cash to go buy another pair so looking for ideas, I really thought of bubble wrapping them haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Milly33 wrote: »
    Never thought id be asking this question as the solution is to not wear them but kinda don't want to buy another pair. So I have a pair of susst shoes loverly got them for a wedding last year but feck they are a killer on the big toe. I don't normally were heels, would have lots of flip flops person. Anyone here have any tips on how to make them cosier or not so sore on the toes, they are fine when you first put them on but half an hour later tis ouch.. Just don't have the cash to go buy another pair so looking for ideas, I really thought of bubble wrapping them haha
    I bought susst black heels lately as they were only €15 and found the same problem! Only thing I can think of is using a shoehorn on them to stretch them out a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

didn't even think of a shoe horn thank you might work.. yeah I think tis the brand alright I as going mad as I brought two pairs and went with wearing these on the day and when I returned the others she said oh yeah the susst are a killer..was miffed she didn't point that out to me at the beginning..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

There's been a fire at the ASOS warehouse:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-27954344

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Luno wrote: »
    There's been a fire at the ASOS warehouse:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-27954344

Noooo :eek: All the lovely clothes :(:(

Noooo :eek: All the lovely clothes :(:(

My initial thought! I think all is okay though its scary to think someone would do it intentionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Luckily, noone seems to have been injured. Some of the tweets are so unbelievable with people complaining about not getting their orders and 'thanking' Asos for inconveniencing them. Seems so selfish.

Guys is it okay to wear a cardigan to an interview for a position as an assitant in a pharmacy? I have a blazer but the black doesn't match the pants I was planning on wearing and I feel the cardigan just looks better than a poorly matched pants and blazer? The dress code says smart attire. Any advice much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I've worn a cardigan before, and I've seen plenty of others do it too. A blazer would probably be too warm in this humidity anyway, so a cardigan is the sensible option. As long as you look neat and tidy, it's fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Yeah I'm sure a cardigan will be just fine, once you're well-presented generally. I don't think they'll expect you to stifle yourself in a heavy blazer, just because it's a job interview :)

Thanks for the reassurance I've decided to stick to my cardigan, it's nice and new so should look neat and hopefully this interview will be my last for a while! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Heard at the weekend that Brown Thomas Cork, Limerick and Galway will no longer be stocking Mulberry handbags. Instead, all stock will be available from Brown Thomas Dublin only. One of the sales assistants at the handbags area told me that they'll be phased out in 2-3 weeks. So in future, if you want to oggle at new season or the classics, you will have to scarper to Dublin........Very sad news indeed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Doing my makeup this morning I did my first eyes eyeliner perfectly, then half way through the second eye it basically dried up :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Not really off topic but didn't want to post a new thread for this.

Quiet a 'futuristic' pair of Nikes
    KD7-Calm-Before-The-Storm-Pair-635x332.jpg

link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

dinneenp wrote: »
    Not really off topic but didn't want to post a new thread for this.

Quiet a 'futuristic' pair of Nikes
    KD7-Calm-Before-The-Storm-Pair-635x332.jpg

link

They look absolutely horrific.

Oasis - I paid full whack for that stupid dress only a few weeks ago and now you've decided to reduce it to over half price?!? Anyone else ever experience this? I actually visited several shops to find my size in the dress thinking to myself great it'll be sold out soon but no they are all in stock on their website at half price, very frustrating. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

Could you return it and buy it again? :P
    I hate when that happens! It's happened to me a few times that the next day the thing has gone down. Why don't the sales assistants warn you?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Luno wrote: »
    Oasis - I paid full whack for that stupid dress only a few weeks ago and now you've decided to reduce it to over half price?!? Anyone else ever experience this? I actually visited several shops to find my size in the dress thinking to myself great it'll be sold out soon but no they are all in stock on their website at half price, very frustrating. :(

Absolutely no idea if it would work(just an idea that came to mind) but could you buy one in your size, then if you still have the receipt for the full price one, return the sale dress(with its labels still intact) with the old receipt to get the difference back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Praying desperately that this dress comes back in returns in my size... I have been refreshing this page for the past 4 days to no avail...... Pray for me folks :)http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Baroque-Embellished-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3327935&r=2

miss-p wrote: »
    Could you return it and buy it again? :P
    I hate when that happens! It's happened to me a few times that the next day the thing has gone down. Why don't the sales assistants warn you?!
    deise_girl wrote: »
    Absolutely no idea if it would work(just an idea that came to mind) but could you buy one in your size, then if you still have the receipt for the full price one, return the sale dress(with its labels still intact) with the old receipt to get the difference back?

I would have done this but I needed it yesterday so no returning now :( I wasn't even mad about it in the first place which is what really annoys me.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else have as much bad luck as me with the clothing sizes in Penneys?

I have a few tops from them ranging in sizes 6-14 and they all fit perfectly.

I bought a peachy-coral one last week, size 12 and its nearly too small on me, yet in most other shops I am a 10 in tops, and 12 in jeans.

My mum has two pairs of skinny jeans from them, a 10 and a 14, both are the same length, waist size etc when put lying on top of each other.

So frustrating.

Advertisement