Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bored with it all?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Alexander Supertramp it OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

Witchie wrote: »
    Anyone else just feel totally bored with their lives and want to just sell everything and go travelling?

I have another 5 months of a college course to do and 2 more years of being "mammy" at home until my youngest heads off to college and I just feel more and more frustrated and trapped. I want to go off on my life adventures NOW.

Thinking of planning a trip to celebrate end of college but then no one is there for my young lad while I gallavant for a few weeks around America so don't know what to do.

Anyone else feel like that? Anyone else want to come to New York, San Francisco, Vegas and Orlando with me? I have free accommodation in all but SF!

Thinking of driving across the states either. In fact I just don't care what I do as long as I do something before I go insane after 20 years of having my life on hold raising my kids.

Agggh.....Help!

spy photo of op

http://images.quebarato.com.br/T75x75/dvd+shirley+valentine+sao+paulo+sp+brasil__296D60_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

whirlpool wrote: »
    I've never felt so bored with life as much as I have the past year.

My favourite part of your post, OP, was the twist where it turned out that you are a mother with a grown child, and that you weren't who these threads usually come from, i.e. annoying 23 year olds. :pac:

If I had the funds, I would be gone like a shot, but I don't. I'd love to be one of those people who just "upped and left to [insert big city here] with nothing but the shirt on their back and a fiver in their pocket" but I'm afraid that that is not really possible, and those people are liars.

With that mentality - you'll never leave. You're not meant to. So, enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Amen. Preachin to the converted. If it doesnt work out then at least f*ck a toaster off a wall or something. Excellent post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    With that mentality - you'll never leave. You're not meant to. So, enjoy!

If you're not going to explain and elaborate on your point (and do so fully, not by giving some vague, half-assed explanation to try and easily validate your post) then your comment is nothing more than lazy and basic passive aggression.

Anyone else just feel totally bored with their lives and want to just sell everything and go travelling?

I had the same feelings but when younger. I might have been one of the lay about and annoying 20something year olds whirlpool references above. But in response to this I MASSIVELY overhauled my life here in Ireland. I did not explore any "up and start a new life abroad" options really. Like UCDs post I guess I just felt I would end up in the same place - in a different location - so to speak. So I changed myself entirely - rather than just insert the same me into a new context - and watch that context morph back into the old one anyway.

And so far I am happy with my lot and have felt no boredom. By most standards I can think of I live a good - enjoyable and maybe even enviable life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Do it OP, do it so we can all live vicariously through you. Report back so we can see how fantastic your adventures are.

I've been getting more and more fed up with this country for various reasons over the last few years. And yeah I'd like to consider moving somewhere, even just for a year. With a bit more experience in my current job, I'd up and go, but my boyfriend isn't in the right place for it right now, and I don't know if he will be any time soon, so that's a no go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I was planning a cycling holiday last summer. Then we got busy at work, then it got quiet and then I was laid off. This put a long hold on my cycling plans. The past few weeks I've been thinking about it all over again. First head off around Ireland, then head off through France, then? Who knows? Of course I can't afford any of this with no job, and then couldn't get the time off to do it with a job, so... I've bought myself a Euromillions ticket.

I'll make you a deal OP. If I win tonight I'll sort you out with cash needed to look after your son. Whether that's hiring a touring American student to look after him, or one of them high-class, catering to the rich butlers I'll get it done. Then you go on your adventure off to America or Thailand and I go on my adventure around Ireland and France and we keep boards updated with posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I've never felt so bored with life as much as I have the past year.

My favourite part of your post, OP, was the twist where it turned out that you are a mother with a grown child, and that you weren't who these threads usually come from, i.e. annoying 23 year olds. :pac:

If I had the funds, I would be gone like a shot, but I don't. I'd love to be one of those people who just "upped and left to [insert big city here] with nothing but the shirt on their back and a fiver in their pocket" but I'm afraid that that is not really possible, and those people are liars.

Is there no chance of saving the money you need? Are you working? If you are, you could save what you needed within a year and head off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Witchie, some cracking fares on holidaypirates.com at the moment to both West Coast USA and Bangkok. I reckon you can do both.

Thanks for that Donkey Oaty. I never knew that existed.

OP - do what makes you happy. Sometimes family hols are not as relaxing as you hope they would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

If you're not going to explain and elaborate on your point (and do so fully, not by giving some vague, half-assed explanation to try and easily validate your post) then your comment is nothing more than lazy and basic passive aggression.

Hey whirlpool, am not trying to put you down. But perhaps you are a little too serious in life. Too safe. Afraid to take the jump. And unless you change this facet, you won't jump.
    Try being a little more spontaneous. Analysing what could happen (in the future) can sow the seeds of doubt.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said the above as, on reading it, it seems a little trite. But if I was in your shoes ........ this is what I'd be looking at.

Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide to do. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Flights booked! NY, San Fran, Vegas, back to NY and home in September.

Hoping to drive with my ex from SF to Vegas down the coast and wondering if anyone has done that and can recommend a nice but cheap hotel/motel about half way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Hoping to drive with my ex from SF to Vegas down the coast and wondering if anyone has done that and can recommend a nice but cheap hotel/motel about half way?

Haven't done it but well done on getting up yourself and. Doing it, good look witchie and a full report when you get back :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Fair play! Most people would just wallow so good job on having initiative. I'm finishing the Leaving Cert. next week and could probably do with an equally big excursion but alas I was depending on winning that USA trip on Winning Streak and I didn't win. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

robman60 wrote: »
    Fair play! Most people would just wallow so good job on having initiative. I'm finishing the Leaving Cert. next week and could probably do with an equally big excursion but alas I was depending on winning that USA trip on Winning Streak and I didn't win. :(

You could do an undegrad course abroad in Europe and be entitled to the same government funding you would get staying here...

• Advertisement
Advertisement