Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored with it all?

Options
  • 17-05-2014 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

Anyone else just feel totally bored with their lives and want to just sell everything and go travelling?

I have another 5 months of a college course to do and 2 more years of being "mammy" at home until my youngest heads off to college and I just feel more and more frustrated and trapped. I want to go off on my life adventures NOW.

Thinking of planning a trip to celebrate end of college but then no one is there for my young lad while I gallavant for a few weeks around America so don't know what to do.

Anyone else feel like that? Anyone else want to come to New York, San Francisco, Vegas and Orlando with me? I have free accommodation in all but SF!

Thinking of driving across the states either. In fact I just don't care what I do as long as I do something before I go insane after 20 years of having my life on hold raising my kids.

Agggh.....Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A dream of mine would be to rent a ford mustang in NY and drive it cross country to LA taking in all the sites along the way.

You should think about doing something mad if its your first time free in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

But I am not really going to be as free as I would like coz my poor lad would be left home alone for 2 weeks with no one to look after him. Is it wise leaving an albeit sensible 16 yr old boy home alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I'm not bored at all La Liga football is just about to start and there is Boxing on the TV later :) it's gonna be a good night :) Happy days one might say.

* Yes I'd love to pack up and tour the world. 3 kids a girlfriend a house 2 dogs all put brakes in that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Witchie wrote: »
    Anyone else just feel totally bored with their lives and want to just sell everything and go travelling?

How much would I get for two kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭batistuta9

But I am not really going to be as free as I would like coz my poor lad would be left home alone for 2 weeks with no one to look after him. Is it wise leaving an albeit sensible 16 yr old boy home alone?

you're only going for 2 weeks :pac:

wait till he goes to college & head off for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

I finish university next week, I don't even have the money to go to Cavan never mind New York

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A dream of mine would be to rent a ford mustang in NY and drive it cross country to LA taking in all the sites along the way.

You should think about doing something mad if its your first time free in years.

I have two friends doing that at the moment on their honeymoon.

Lucky gits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

16 is a grand age. He'll have a few mates over all right, but get someone you trust like a friendly neighbour to drop in every night and it'll be alright. We were left at home most summer weekends at that age while my folks brought my younger brothers and sister down to Wexford.
    He'd be delighted being left at home to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Go for it. I can see a movie script (picture a blend of Ferris Bueller + Thelma & Louise)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

In my professional opinion you should take some drugs. It makes doing nothing, something!

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    you're only going for 2 weeks :pac:

wait till he goes to college & head off for years.

That is the intention. I am going to sell my house and live my life. Looking at buying a small apartment in our town so they always have a home to come to but really want to get the hell outta here.

We had the chance about 8 years ago to move to Florida, and despite their dad being barely in their lives they wouldn't move coz they wanted to stay in Ireland to be near him.

My boys are my world so I stayed. Just feel frustrated and feel that when he does go to college I will probably get cancer or some such and not be able to live my life. I feel that putting it on hold is asking for trouble. Maybe if had some excitement in my life here would feel less like this but my life is a bland mix of college and mammying with the odd good night thrown in.

I am the only member of my family in Ireland at the moment and just feel trapped.

grrr.

As for being able to afford it Orangesoda, I have been saving like mad for a few years now, putting €20 a week into the credit union so that I can have a holiday and then when the house is sold, emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Better yet. Do it on a motorbike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Just dump him on some relatives for 2 weeks. Be grand.

pablo128 wrote: »
    16 is a grand age. He'll have a few mates over all right, but get someone you trust like a friendly neighbour to drop in every night and it'll be alright. We were left at home most summer weekends at that age while my folks brought my younger brothers and sister down to Wexford.
    He'd be delighted being left at home to be honest.

Actually he is the kinda kid would rather be home alone than have mates over annoying him and worrying him about wrecking stuff. That could change of course and he would be 17 a few days after I return. Ach Just don't like the thoughts of going off without him but as he will be in 5th year it wouldn't be right taking him out of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Maybe don't mention the duration.

"Would you mind him for a bit?"

You don't even have to get out of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I have another 5 months of a college course to do and 2 more years of being "mammy" at home until my youngest heads off to college and I just feel more and more frustrated and trapped. I want to go off on my life adventures NOW.

Thinking of planning a trip to celebrate end of college but then no one is there for my young lad while I gallavant for a few weeks around America so don't know what to do.

Anyone else feel like that? Anyone else want to come to New York, San Francisco, Vegas and Orlando with me? I have free accommodation in all but SF!

Thinking of driving across the states either. In fact I just don't care what I do as long as I do something before I go insane after 20 years of having my life on hold raising my kids.

Agggh.....Help!

I'll come!! I'd love to travel America, did California a few years ago and it was amazing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The grass is always greener on the other side, and the bluest hills are far away. Forewarned is forearmed, but fine words butter no parsnips. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and it's a long road that has no turning. When one door shuts, another door opens, and you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs!

Only have older aunts and uncles around here now and he would hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Id be up for it too! Nothing wrong with a bit of adventure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Only have older aunts and uncles around here now and he would hate that.

Tell him they are considering including him in their will. He'll be as good as gold and think he's on a mission for the two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

catallus wrote: »
    The grass is always greener on the other side, and the bluest hills are far away. Forewarned is forearmed, but fine words butter no parsnips. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and it's a long road that has no turning. When one door shuts, another door opens, and you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs!

where are there blue hills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

They're over there, but they're far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

We have the Bluestack Mountains up here in Donegal, other than that blue ridge Mountains of Virginia would be next bet.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thinkl a torrid affair with a mystery toyboy would get you out of that rut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I think he´d be grand for 2 weeks on his own, OP. I really think you should head off an enjoy yourself. I totally approve!! You totally deserve it and your son is at an age where he can look after himself (can you get someone to drop in an check on him every few days?). I understand you´re worried as any mother would be but from my POV, I don´t think there´s anything realy stopping you. GOOOOO!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

endacl wrote: »
    I have two friends doing that at the moment on their honeymoon.

Lucky gits.

We did that on our honeymoon in 2008. One of the top 5 holidays ever! We took our tome and spent 3 weeks at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Agggh.....Help!

Your kids are your life, or don't you know?

Besides they wrote a song about you, so whatcha got to be complaining about? :pac:

Just off the phone with my brother and he is trying to convince me to not go to the States and come to Thailand with him and his finance who is Thai. They are not long back and planning another trip in October so maybe I should go there instead.

Yeah my son will be grand. Will ask a mate or 2 of mine to look in on him and to bring him to town shopping when he needs to. Feck it I need a life!

Just off the phone with my brother and he is trying to convince me to not go to the States and come to Thailand with him and his finance who is Thai. They are not long back and planning another trip in October so maybe I should go there instead.

Yeah my son will be grand. Will ask a mate or 2 of mine to look in on him and to bring him to town shopping when he needs to. Feck it I need a life!

• Advertisement

I thinkl a torrid affair with a mystery toyboy would get you out of that rut

Oh and this is always an option I am open to exploring! :D

Advertisement