Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The yellow analogue was horrible tbh

Can't remember too many games I played that used the C-stick to be honest so it wasn't that much of an issue. As I said though nostalgia may be playing a part in my opinion, also smaller hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

There are two huge advantages of consoles over PC.

1. Lazy ass couch/reclainer chair gaming. ( Yes, can be done with PC, but I will cut my throat, before playing online shooter with controller against keyboard and mouse bastards )
    2. Local Multiplayer.

It is really sad to see Local multiplayer starting to get rare these days. :( I am so buying ( third time now ffs ) PS4 version of diablo 3 and getting my friend chained to radiator so he Can ( forced ) to play with me.

it is.
    the amount of time me and my friends spent playing mashed was incredible

one of the reasons i own a wii u tbh theres enough couch coop/vs games on it down to its lack of a decent online system

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding my feelings about the GC controller.
    This is the "Unpopular Opinions" thread isn't it?

I just don't like the octagonal gate on the Nintendo analogue sticks. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Shiminay wrote: »
    Local LAN + split-screen multiplayer was the main reason I played any Halo on my 360 (which I only bought for GTA IV initially, but which served me very well and continues to do so now with GTA V/Online). We had semi-regular 12+ man LAN parties of Halo spread across one gent's house (I think the biggest was 20 people with 5 XBoxes on the go). Amongst my friends, it's one of the biggest positives that CoD has going for it too that could split-screen with friends (but unfortunately had no LAN + Split-Screen support like Halo).

I remember being at an EA press event in London and seeing the re-booted SSX game. It looked amazing. The review copy arrived some months later and my friends and I sat down to get stuck in only to discover it had no local multiplayer which was for us, the only reason SSX as a brand was in any way fun or relevant to our interests. It was played for a while, one of my friends even got his own copy, but I can't even remember if we could do a race together down a mountain for the lulz or if it was all this "leaderboards" nonsense.

Starting to see it creep into some PC titles now because it was never a feature that anyone really wanted in statistically relevant numbers, but the push to bring your gaming PC into a part of the Living Room means that you have to have games that'll take advantage of that.

I remember someone from Valve (Might have even been Gabe) mentioned a couple of years ago that in the relatively near future we'd beable to play multiple games from the same PC at the same time. So you could have two instances of say TF2 and two sets of controls. Only other thing you'd need is another monitor and you were all set. Would be really cool.

Maybe I dreamt it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I just don't like the octagonal gate on the Nintendo analogue sticks. :(

Ah here, that's the best thing about the Nintendo sticks. I love that about them. The other manufacturers can't use it since it's patented by Nintendo. I bet come the next generation of consoles when nintendo's patent is up that the all use octagonal gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Magill wrote: »
    You could always get your mate to bring his PC around ? While couch splitscreen is fun.... playing some rust, cs or something on the ole LAN -> WAN is even more so imo ! Great craic all together.

Really miss going to lans and gaming cafes when I was younger, was brilliant.

Oh god yes. Where I came from ( a ****hole of a country ) I loved to go with friends after school or on weekends to play in those internet cafes, it was the only real option for us as we were poor and could not afford PCs. All that ice cream pocket money was left in those "black holes" :p. They were more "gamer cafes", then internet Cafes back then though. 4-6 of us would gather up and go play CS, Half life OpFor or Red Alert 2 for hours.
    I did Lan parties in North with my Wow friends when I came over to ireland. Great Crack. We havent done those in a while. :(

Online gaming is still class and I am on Vent everytime I turn on PC. 4-6 of us go play stuff like BF4. Great Crack.
    Our Boards.ie Rust pillaging times were awesome too. Its a shame we dont play it much anymore. That was some great crack, I miss it. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah here, that's the best thing about the Nintendo sticks. I love that about them. The other manufacturers can't use it since it's patented by Nintendo. I bet come the next generation of consoles when nintendo's patent is up that the all use octagonal gates.

Say it ain't so Retr0, say it ain't so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

What is esports?
    Retr0gamer wrote: »

I would have thought octagonal analogues are well behind the times? Why does the 3DS not use them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I would have thought octagonal analogues are well behind the times? Why does the 3DS not use them?

Definitely not behind the times. The octagonal gate lets you find diagonals easier than on a pad that doesn't have them. It's kind of subtle but works much like the square and octagonal gates you find on high quality arcade sticks.

The 3DS doesn't use one because it wouldn't work for a circle pad. They had portability in mind with that one.

If it's a game I like, then I love collectibles. I also really like the Xbox achievement system, Gamerscore and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Noobs are absolutely brilliant and helping people who don't know **** is fun.

Clive Barkers(?) Jericho has some kickass gameplay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What is esports?

I would define it as any game that has players that can play competitively and make a living from it.

So COD, Starcraft, DotA, LoL, CSGO to name a few

Noobs are absolutely brilliant and helping people who don't know **** is fun.

Clive Barkers(?) Jericho has some kickass gameplay

Hmmm,
    Not sure you are getting the whole point of this thread...

Hmmm,

I thought people disliked gamers who don't know how the game works and ask questions about it? Maybe I value most too lowly after my CoD days

Hmmm,

Why? S(he) has expressed opinions that would traditionally be unpopular, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Final Fantasy, I just dont get it.....

The Gamecube was the Best system of that Gen.

A man after my own heart, but I'm willing to give Final Fantasy another chance sometime, (the ones from the Snes generation)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trasheater

Red alert 3 Co-Operative single player was one of the most fun ive had.
    Singularity - one of best single player experiences.
    GTA after Vice city .. meh
    Resident evil. no thanks

Why? S(he) has expressed opinions that would traditionally be unpopular, no?

More the obvious sarcasm and you'd have to be blind not to spot it.
    Assuming you are aware of the actual attitude towards new players online and the reception Jericho got.
    Well, maybe they are expressing a real opinion, and one that's not popular.
    You'd have to have come down with the last drop of rain to believe it though.

trasheater wrote: »
    Red alert 3 Co-Operative single player was one of the most fun ive had.
    Singularity - one of best single player experiences.
    GTA after Vice city .. meh
    Resident evil. no thanks

Re Singularity, there seems to be a good few with the same thoughts, I bought it for a fiver in Gamestop the other day on the back of the discussion, haven't tried it yet.
    Re GTA VC, it seems like the zenith of the series alright, I found SA to be sprawling and not fun, and while I finished GTA4 I didn't have a great time with it in the end.
    Resident Evil, thought the PS version was killed by the controls and I never got into the sequels.
    The GC remake is amazing though, and Resi 4 is a revelation.

Anyway....
    My previous opinion on side scrolling beat'em ups is in jeopardy, since I bought and am enjoying Dragons Crown.
    Still think Golden Axe and Streets of Rage are awful though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

Just going to crowbar in here and say apart from world at war and bo1, cod sucks. Games without mp should only cost 1/4 the price of a mp game. Anything xbox should be thrown into a grave covered in salt and set alight. Any mp game that needs you to subscribe should never be played by anyone. Kids on over 18's game should be blocked from the internet, I'm sick on the word monitor's on servers. Admims that run a kick to win policy should be wiped to an inch of their life.
    Windows
    Second life, what's the point?
    Gtg plus I think I've vented enough now.
    OK no wait. Flood voice in games, you should be able to talk the players that are beside you and they can track you from your voice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

What is esports?

genuine question???

miju wrote: »
    genuine question???

I didn't know until I read this thread to be honest.

Pac1Man just go back a few pages there's a discussion,
    Competitive games/gaming is the most basic level of it as far as I understand

*edit Like actual playing for money and sponsorship competitive, this stuff is serious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Today seems very menstrual.

Starcraft 2 has been competitive for around 5 years, which works out to roughly $80,000 per year in prize money alone for the top earners

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

haha,

Esports or Competitive game is exactly what it says on the tin really. Some games have leagues that run over a period of months, having a final/world final at the end between the top teams from the league/other leagues around the world (League of legends works like this). Some games have more individual tournaments with large prize pools held every so often (The bigger the game the more often these tournaments, up to 2+ a month).

You'll typically find most of these tournaments casted on sites like twitch.tv and the like.

The top 5 biggest games at the moment are probably

League of Legends - World Championship - Finals had a told of 32million viewers or something mad
    DoTA2 Free To Play - Documentary following teams in the first ever $1m first place prizepool
    Counterstrike:Global Offensive Highlight video of the winners of the last big CS:GO tournament
    Starcraft
    and probably CoD or one of the console games.

Its growing pretty rapidly, this is the DoTA2 crowd funded prizepool for The International 4... its only been up a few days i think.

http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/

was just curious

eSports summed up

miju wrote: »
    was just curious

eSports summed up

[/QUOTE]

"Larger than global film industry"

Citation needed

Grimebox wrote: »
    "Larger than global film industry"

Citation needed

Jesus your right PacMan this is a very menstrual thread today :P:P:P I wouldn't have even thought this would be contested in this day and age when you have games like GTA:V making over $900 million in 72 hours on release but how and ever.

Worldwide Film Industry 2013 - $35 billion Report Here

Worldwide Game Industry 2011 - $65 billion and growing since - Link Here - PC Games makes up about $20 billion of that figure while the rest is consoles, mobile games and social media games and so on

• Advertisement

Oh I thought it was purely referring to the e-sports scene. That makes much more sense.

Advertisement