Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Only issue with any controls in Uncharted and The Last of Us was the damn stupid tilt/touch controls in the original Uncharted and the Vita edition.
    As much as I find the gameplay at times a little repetitive the controls are fine and dandy.

I can see what he means with TLOU because that game did deliberately gimp the aiming at the beginning of the game to discourage you from relying on guns. Uncharted though, while not something I'm a fan of, is about one of the tightest controlling console shooters I can think of.
    Varik wrote: »
    And yours is a great example of jumping in at the end and not knowing what you're on about.

I made 3 point, 2 of which aren't legitimate reasons and 1 is my reason for disliking the title of indie.

No, his point was completely fair even in context. The initial point against your reason for disliking indie games was that it was even more irrational than the other two. At no point did he say the first two were rational but you still replied by implying that he thought they were perfectly valid reasons. The strawman reply was justified.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As for mario being a bland character? What are you expecting, teenage melodrama and conflict?

And then we see the pot calling the kettle black :rolleyes:
    Except the fabled CDi obsessive a, who are are an endangered and almost admirably committed race of lunatics.

In my travels I have come across a defender of the CDi games. He insisted they were almost as good as the NES and SNES ones.
    Here's an unpopular opinion from a Nintendo fan.

The zelda series needs a kick up the arse and to try something new.

Nearly every zelda game since Link to the Past has been remaking Link to the Past in some way. The games just play it safe with the same formula over and over. While I do enjoy the games it gets old fast so much so that I didn't really enjoy Skyward Sword.

I wouldn't say that's particularly unpopular. Among Zelda fans, Skyward Sword seems to be pretty much the least popular entry in the series. Regarding your point about risks though, I would say that Wind Waker was also a big risk due to it's art style that did receive some backlash from fans when first unveiled.
    miju wrote: »
    How else would you differentiate between someone who is a casual gamer (plays for fun) and someone who is competitive (plays in leagues)??

I think the thing here is that "casual gamer" usually refers to people who focus more on games like Candy Crush or Wii Fit. It's usually used to refer to someone who is pretty clueless and unskilled/inexperienced at games in general which is why it's seen as derogatory.

Personally, I think the amount of "no true Scotsman"isms in gaming is a bit silly though. People can get very hung up on terms like "gamer" or even "game". I've seen a lot of people who dislike things like Gone Home or Dear Esther so they dismiss them as not being "games", as if to be called such would be some sort of honour. Just remember that if you ever think "game" is too high a title for something that Shadow the Hedgehog was undeniably a "game".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

CoD ties nicely into the dudebro market though and there's a metric fk ton of sponsors who want to get their brand in front of that audience. MLG is pretty big in the States and has CoD as one of its mainstays. They're locked in with Activision (as they were previously with Microsoft & Halo when they started) and regardless of how spectacularly awful Ghosts is vs previous releases, they've gotta be playing the latest version of the game as per their partnership with Activision

CS:GO is starting to make some inroads as a contender for e-Sports Dolla, more so in Europe though where I think it was always traditionally stronger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I must correct you.
    Shadow the Hedgehog was, in fact, poop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

C14N wrote: »
    And then we see the pot calling the kettle black :rolleyes:

Eh wha? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I still dont understand how cod can be a competitive tournament game, when it is relaunched each year.
    The only reason it is tournament competitive game, that Activision just pumps money in to it to make it look cool and Bro worthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

People looking down on games like COD and BF4 and their esports showing is an astounding display of ignorance.

I could just as easily call League of legends the most boring clickfest for PC nerds.
    but that would be ignorant.

Eh wha? :confused:

Varik said that he disliked indie games not because of their small budgets but because of the hipster factor. Johnny_ultimate said that was an even worse reason than the small budgets. Varik implies that johnny_ultimate thinks disliking games for a small budget is fine to which you called strawman, which was fair enough because it's misrepresenting what he said to make his point look worse.

However just a few posts later ShadowHearth accused Mario games of having bland stories and characters and you implied that he wanted more teenage melodrama in all his games which is misrepresenting what he said almost as much.

I do actually agree though that Mario games get by fine without a story, although I also wish that they would at least put a bit more effort into their token "princess is kidnapped" bits.

As a possibly unpopular opinion though I also don't think that can be used as a blanket defence for any game. It's true for Mario because of how incredibly little time is spent on the story, for the most part it's just a series of unrelated levels. I completely disagree with anyone who applies the same defence to something like GTA or CoD or Uncharted. These are games that have several times as much cutscene as a typical feature film, if you're going to do that and the story/characters are still bad, it's completely fair to criticise the game for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

People looking down on games like COD and BF4 and their esports showing is an astounding display of ignorance.

I could just as easily call League of legends the most boring clickfest for PC nerds.

Not really what I was saying tho.

I'm talking about fundamental problems with these games that just make them pretty terrible for competitive gaming. Everything from map design to weapons, perks, the games netcode and all the other random **** they have in these games are not designed with competitive gaming in mind... which is fine for what they are.. public (Or casual, whatever you want to call it) non-competitive games. I don't fault the developers for this either, its probably impossible to get a game into a state i'd deam worthy within the 1-2 year shelf life they have on console. CS:GO is a perfect example of that, its taken well over a year to get to where its at now.. with constantly feedback from competitive teams.

Counterstrike is balanced around its competitive community, its maps are designed for 5v5 games and its weapons are pretty much as balanced as you'll get in any shooter. Even LoL is balanced around its competitive community (Which is interesting given the vast majority of its playerbase have probably never played any kind of competitive match).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I get why people play E-Sports competitively - as you refer to DOTA 2 and the like which I would see as competitive....

I just can't imagine people trying to on the mess that was/is BF4....

EA/Dice are at fault in that regard, and I won't defend them for shipping a shoddy game...

I am in a similar position to Eoin, I spent a lot of money just to get my PS4 and BF4, imagine my horror of not being properly able to play the game without rage for the first 5 months of the games life!

I still dont understand how cod can be a competitive tournament game, when it is relaunched each year.
    The only reason it is tournament competitive game, that Activision just pumps money in to it to make it look cool and Bro worthy.

Small basic maps that are pretty quick to learn and small alterations to gun play means the transition from one to another isn't a hugely complicated process for the top tier players.

It's also worth pointing out that people/teams have been sacked for the sorts of behaviour the YouTube vid you posted. They make a laughing stock of their game and scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Performance enhancing drugs...Redbull.

Performance enhancing drugs...Redbull.

They're a major sponsor (as are Monster) tbh :)

Adderall use is pretty common I believe though, it's been mentioned a lot in a Starcraft context.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unpopular opinion:

Online gaming is an extremely poor substitute for local couch multiplayer.

Oh yeah, forgot to chip in on the controller debate a few pages back.

Unpopular controller opinion: it really doesn't matter which one you use. They're all pretty much fine. Ever since the original Xbox had that horrendous large controller all the console devs have done a decent job with the ergonomics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Varik said that he disliked indie games not because of their small budgets but because of the hipster factor. Johnny_ultimate said that was an even worse reason than the small budgets. Varik implies that johnny_ultimate thinks disliking games for a small budget is fine to which you called strawman, which was fair enough because it's misrepresenting what he said to make his point look worse.

However just a few posts later ShadowHearth accused Mario games of having bland stories and characters and you implied that he wanted more teenage melodrama in all his games which is misrepresenting what he said almost as much.

Not quite the same thing.
    And it's simply put to point out the absurdity of the statement.
    Mario is, in his games, simply Mario, he is not supposed to possess a deep well of emotion, for a character whose games defined 3D platforming, and to whom most if not all other games who attempt it owe a debt to, with Super Mario 64 he is quite 2 dimensional.
    But, look at it, look at the games.
    He's a hero, out to save the day, the addition of the elements supposed to make a character more rounded is simply inappropriate in the universe the Mario titles exist in.
    Each character is a trope, the hero, the coward, the damsel in distress, the monster, the minions, the heroes brother.
    To ask more of them, given the objectives of the game, is an oxymoron.
    I do actually agree though that Mario games get by fine without a story, although I also wish that they would at least put a bit more effort into their token "princess is kidnapped" bits.

As a possibly unpopular opinion though I also don't think that can be used as a blanket defence for any game. It's true for Mario because of how incredibly little time is spent on the story, for the most part it's just a series of unrelated levels. I completely disagree with anyone who applies the same defence to something like GTA or CoD or Uncharted. These are games that have several times as much cutscene as a typical feature film, if you're going to do that and the story/characters are still bad, it's completely fair to criticise the game for it.
    `
    The last time a Mario game got cutscenes and a story was Super Mario Sunshine and it got a bollocking for it.

Unpopular controller opinion: it really doesn't matter which one you use. They're all pretty much fine. Ever since the original Xbox had that horrendous large controller all the console devs have done a decent job with the ergonomics.

I bet you used to say that to your mate when he called over and you gave him the crappy third party controller to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I really liked the first large Xbox controller coming from the PS2 controller, its was so comfortable. Could play for hours on end with it. The S controller that led the way for the 360 controller was an improvement however.

The Gamecube controller was, in my opinion, dreadful, and I still dislike it.
    I use a Wavebird when playing the GC but still dislike it.
    I have no love for the Wii/WiiU classic controllers either, with the sticks feeling away out of place.
    I picked up a Giotek GC2 controller for the WiiU that fixed it, with the buttons and sticks in the more familiar 360 configuration, and switchable between the two formats as well, so it serves all purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Unpopular opinion:

Aye, you can't accidently elbow someone in the bollox if they kill you online…

I have both of them and it does feel mighty weird playing with the big Xbox controller now, the white/black buttons and the start/select in the wrong places.
    That said it worked just fine back in the day for PGR and Halo!

• Advertisement

I have no love for the Wii/WiiU classic controllers either, with the sticks feeling away out of place.
    I picked up a Giotek GC2 controller for the WiiU that fixed it, with the buttons and sticks in the more familiar 360 configuration, and switchable between the two formats as well, so it serves all purposes.

The second iteration of the Wii classic controller was a hell of a lot better. Still not perfect but a big improvement.

As for what you say about the Gamecube controller, you're wrong!

Aye, you can't accidently elbow someone in the bollox if they kill you online…

Yep, and its much more fun to troll someone IRL than online too.

Nothing more fun than scoring one goal in fifa, then proceed to knock the ball around your backline for the remainder of the match !

I bet you used to say that to your mate when he called over and you gave him the crappy third party controller to use.

Nah, I was honest but sure they gave me the ****e one at their houses too. I was on about official ones though, which have all been good.
    Not quite the same thing.
    And it's simply put to point out the absurdity of the statement.
    Mario is, in his games, simply Mario, he is not supposed to possess a deep well of emotion, for a character whose games defined 3D platforming, and to whom most if not all other games who attempt it owe a debt to, with Super Mario 64 he is quite 2 dimensional.
    But, look at it, look at the games.
    He's a hero, out to save the day, the addition of the elements supposed to make a character more rounded is simply inappropriate in the universe the Mario titles exist in.
    Each character is a trope, the hero, the coward, the damsel in distress, the monster, the minions, the heroes brother.
    To ask more of them, given the objectives of the game, is an oxymoron.

`
    The last time a Mario game got cutscenes and a story was Super Mario Sunshine and it got a bollocking for it.

When I said "try a little harder" I didn't mean start chucking in voice acting and intricate plot (I don't think any of us want Bowser Jr Scrappy-Dooing all over the game again), I just meant do something different with the minimalism they have. I'd just like to see it where it isn't just "save Peach again", even if that was left out completely I'd prefer it.

Completely disagree. Although I still stand by the idea that they're all pretty much equal, for me the GC controller still stands out as being a bit better than the rest. If I could plug it into my PC as easily as I could with my 360 controller I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Unpopular opinion:

There are two huge advantages of consoles over PC.

1. Lazy ass couch/reclainer chair gaming. ( Yes, can be done with PC, but I will cut my throat, before playing online shooter with controller against keyboard and mouse bastards )
    2. Local Multiplayer.

It is really sad to see Local multiplayer starting to get rare these days. :( I am so buying ( third time now ffs ) PS4 version of diablo 3 and getting my friend chained to radiator so he Can ( forced ) to play with me.

When I said "try a little harder" I didn't mean start chucking in voice acting and intricate plot (I don't think any of us want Bowser Jr Scrappy-Dooing all over the game again), I just meant do something different with the minimalism they have. I'd just like to see it where it isn't just "save Peach again", even if that was left out completely I'd prefer it.

Well they didn't go with the whole save peach thing with 3D World so hopefully that's a good start because Daisy is great fun to control.

I'd prefer Daisy though, she's the ultimate mario kart troll character ('Hi I'm Daisy, Hi I'm Daisy, Hi I'm....').

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion:

Depends, online gaming is excellent when with a group of freinds in a party on Steam or Xbox for example.

But its hard beat a few cans + couch coop (This list could go on all day :P)

/ Street fighter / Super Smash Bros / Wrestling Games / NBA Jam Remake / Diablo 3 Console /

To name a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Completely disagree. Although I still stand by the idea that they're all pretty much equal, for me the GC controller still stands out as being a bit better than the rest. If I could plug it into my PC as easily as I could with my 360 controller I would.

It might just be nostalgia talking but I remember the GC controller being a good one as well.

• It might just be nostalgia talking but I remember the GC controller being a good one as well.
    The yellow analogue was horrible tbh

1. Lazy ass couch/reclainer chair gaming. ( Yes, can be done with PC, but I will cut my throat, before playing online shooter with controller against keyboard and mouse bastards )
    2. Local Multiplayer.

It is really sad to see Local multiplayer starting to get rare these days. :( I am so buying ( third time now ffs ) PS4 version of diablo 3 and getting my friend chained to radiator so he Can ( forced ) to play with me.

You could always get your mate to bring his PC around ? While couch splitscreen is fun.... playing some rust, cs or something on the ole LAN -> WAN is even more so imo ! Great craic all together.

Really miss going to lans and gaming cafes when I was younger, was brilliant.

• Advertisement

Unpopular opinion:

2. Local Multiplayer.

Local LAN + split-screen multiplayer was the main reason I played any Halo on my 360 (which I only bought for GTA IV initially, but which served me very well and continues to do so now with GTA V/Online). We had semi-regular 12+ man LAN parties of Halo spread across one gent's house (I think the biggest was 20 people with 5 XBoxes on the go). Amongst my friends, it's one of the biggest positives that CoD has going for it too that could split-screen with friends (but unfortunately had no LAN + Split-Screen support like Halo).

I remember being at an EA press event in London and seeing the re-booted SSX game. It looked amazing. The review copy arrived some months later and my friends and I sat down to get stuck in only to discover it had no local multiplayer which was for us, the only reason SSX as a brand was in any way fun or relevant to our interests. It was played for a while, one of my friends even got his own copy, but I can't even remember if we could do a race together down a mountain for the lulz or if it was all this "leaderboards" nonsense.

Starting to see it creep into some PC titles now because it was never a feature that anyone really wanted in statistically relevant numbers, but the push to bring your gaming PC into a part of the Living Room means that you have to have games that'll take advantage of that.

Advertisement