Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'll probably get infracted for the following but.......I'd be in favour of gay rights. It's a modern world after all. Times have changed. But it's those overly-flamboyant, cross dressing types that make a big deal of being gay and the discrimination they suffer from that drive me mad.

Stephen Fry was a big advocate towards gay rights and highlighted the homophobia in Russia in the build up to the Winter Olympics. Garnered huge publicity. He isn't all up in your face "haaayyyy". And he is one of the most respected television personalities of modern times. It feels like that the likes of Conchita Wurst, Panti Bliss and others dress and act as camp as they do just to rattle a few cages.

So what my poorly-worded rant is trying to say is those cross-dressing types of the gay world are actually doing more harm in their quest for respect.

Eh, you do realise that the Conchita thing is firstly an act and secondly a drag act.
    Drag Acts have been around for years and have always been camp, flamboyant and OTT. That's the act.
    Never see Danny La Rue in is time?

Don't see what harm he has done for Gay rights at all to be honest and perhaps you should like at your own judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Brilliant thread as usual folks :)

Been a fun week.

I'll bid you all goodnight and wish you all well.

See you in 2015 :cool: Here or There :eek:

http%253A%252F%252F25.media.tumblr.com%252Ftumblr_m2sbd2HnfX1r4u9wdo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplesnack

So happy Concita won. Now off to dance to the Michael Jackson experience on the Wii :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And none of any of those things has anything remotely to do with a song contest.

Sorry to come over all serious and boring, but when did it stop being about the song?

It's about the song AND the presentation on stage, and it has been like that for at least 12 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

As I posted earlier - the majority of voting Europe supported it despite the Russian love in with its minions !

....and even Russia gave votes to Austria.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And none of any of those things has anything remotely to do with a song contest.

Sorry to come over all serious and boring, but when did it stop being about the song?

Who says that it wasn't about that song? The Austrian song won because it was a good song not because it's singer happened to be a man with a beard. It's a pity that all people want to look at is how the singer looks like and not how good the song is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

131spanner wrote: »
    I enjoyed that. I think Austria won largely off the back of the novelty of a bearded woman. No doubt she can sing very well and congratulations to her, but as a song it didn't stand out IMO.

Roll on next year, hopefully Ireland can get its shít together :)

It did stand out. I heard the song before I saw who was singing it. She smashed it out of he park

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What a massive shame a gimmick won over the far superior song from The Netherlands. Not denying for a second that Conchita had a great song and he sang it excellently, but had it been a normal guy/woman singing that tonight they wouldn't have won.

The Netherlands were robbed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What a massive shame a gimmick won over the far superior song from The Netherlands. Not denying for a second that Conchita had a great song and he sang it excellently, but had it been a normal guy/woman singing that tonight they wouldn't have won.

How were The Netherlands robbed when the got less points by quite a margin?

In a week's time you won't even remember the Dutch song.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'll probably get infracted for the following but.......I'd be in favour of gay rights. It's a modern world after all. Times have changed. But it's those overly-flamboyant, cross dressing types that make a big deal of being gay and the discrimination they suffer from that drive me mad.

Stephen Fry was a big advocate towards gay rights and highlighted the homophobia in Russia in the build up to the Winter Olympics. Garnered huge publicity. He isn't all up in your face "haaayyyy". And he is one of the most respected television personalities of modern times. It feels like that the likes of Conchita Wurst, Panti Bliss and others dress and act as camp as they do just to rattle a few cages.

So what my poorly-worded rant is trying to say is those cross-dressing types of the gay world are actually doing more harm in their quest for respect.
    Sometimes cages need to be rattled.

We are not a straight country nor are we a conservative one.

I stand four square behind Panti and the drag acts who fought for our rights while others hid in their closets!

Viva la difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Was really surprised with the voting for Austria. I fully expected nothing from Eastern Europe and the Balkans but she picked up a lot of points in those regions. A well deserved victory, a truly amazing performance. A great performance from the Netherlands.

Azerbaijan had there worst performance ever, with a very poor song, the singers english was very poor. Dissapointed for France, I really liked the song but live it was far from perfect.

All the finalists put on an amazing show, it shows up how poor the Irish effort was, we were so far of the mark. Will we learn from our errors? Unlikely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Riverdance live from the point in 1995.. :eek:

I love Riverdance, I never get tired of watching it

but then I set dance :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I think more people would be incredulous at the suggestion that 'Heartbeat' was a better song.

That's very true.

After all - Majority rules.

Unfortunately the majority don't know their arse from their elbow and this has been proven year after year in the Eurovision.

Anyone who beleives tonight's winner was victorious on his singing ability alone hasn't a clue.

He won beacause he wore a dress - and a beard.

Europe says, eh........ no.

Europe needs to cop itself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Look at that - Russian jury put Austria in 11th, but the televote had them in 3rd
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/results?event=1893&voter=RU

Way to go Russian peoples :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

efb wrote: »
    It did stand out. I heard the song before I saw who was singing it. She smashed it out of he park

I'm not sure I'd agree, but yeah she's got some pair of lungs!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This wouldn't be for everyone ....

But Stewart Morris does the BBC talkback over the end of the 1977 Eurovision and gets very angry.

Lovely Stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That's some disconnect between our jury and public there; Poland coming first with the public and not getting any jury votes at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There is often two top songs.

I often preferred the song that came second. I just download the songs I like.

The Dutch were quality and it was shown by where they finished, in the top 2 with another quality song and singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Not denying for a second that Conchita had a great song and he sang it excellently, but had it been a normal guy/woman singing that tonight they wouldn't have won(

Can you explain what you mean by a "normal guy/woman"? Threading close to homophobia there me thinks !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

AK333 wrote: »
    I love Riverdance, I never get tired of watching it
    but then I set dance :o

It has me wondering what Jean Butler would look like with a beard...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That's some disconnect between our jury and public there; Poland coming first with the public and not getting any jury votes at all?

That be our own political voting then i.e. the tens of 1,000s of Polish that live here voting for the motherland. We usually give Lithuania a big vote for the same reason though don't think they were in it this year.

BTW I'm I the only one who thought Holland's entry was complete rubbish? If i wanted to see bland country and western duets, I'm sure Youtube has countless ones available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

So Jenny Greene liked Romania much more than her fellow jury members did - and liked the Netherlands much less than they did, too... :eek: :eek:

But some 17 points behind Slovenia in 10th. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Lapin wrote: »
    That's very true.

After all - Majority rules.
    Unfortunately the majority don't know their arse from their elbow and this has been proven year after year in the Eurovision.
    Anyone who beleives tonight's winner was victorious on his singing ability alone hasn't a clue.

He won beacause he wore a dress - and a beard.

Europe needs to cop itself on.

and you declare the bold part above as. . . a professional musician? a music lover? or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Personally I think the winning songs were vastly superior before the public voting was introduced.
    Its a farce now ,too many gimmicks,bloc voting and the fact that most people voting are tasteless tweens.
    Its like the Top 40 charts now ;full of garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Personally I think the winning songs were vastly superior before the public voting was introduced.
    Its a farce now ,too many gimmicks,bloc voting and the fact that most people voting are tasteless tweens.
    Its like the Top 40 charts now ;full of garbage.

Once i passed the 30 years mark I learned to just shrug my shoulders and deal with it to be honest :p

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

UK also has a huge Polish population and the same situation occurred there - Poland top in televotes but dead last in the jury voting.

I guess this 50:50 system works, though there was quite a bit of the usual neighbour for neighbour voting. Looking forward to analyzing the results a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Riverdance is timeless - Nobody does Eurovision like we do - though I did enjoy the production this evening - hopefully we'll get it right next year - ditch the twee irish dancers (keep it for the interval) - the celtic theme, pick a strong song and a strong singer or for a change a good rock band - our effort this year was woeful but we should have known we were gonna crash and burn when Billy and our own Conchita had a bitch fest on LLS - keep all those has beens and wannabe's away from next years entrants. Ireland has some world renown songwriters and musicians. we can do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/results?event=1893&voter=AZ

Azerbaijan's jury votes are laughable. Click sort by average jury rank and notice how they all voted the same. Thats not a coincidence, thats blatant fixing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Had a good bit on Austria to win so was kept sweating right up until the last view votes. I thought The Netherlands was going to sneak it at times until Austria pulled clear. Didn't think much of their song though, much more preferred Austria's entry.

Advertisement