Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing Supplies

Options
  • 01-03-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Before i make a fool of my girlfriend , would they have pipettes and droppers in a chemist ?

If not do you guys know where id pick them up , i dont want to have to wait for internet order 2 things i havent come across too often on sites or id have ordered them with other stuff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

masonchat wrote: »
    Before i make a fool of my girlfriend , would they have pipettes and droppers in a chemist ?

If not do you guys know where id pick them up , i dont want to have to wait for internet order 2 things i havent come across too often on sites or id have ordered them with other stuff
    This is where I get mine, cheap & cheerful...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/100PCS-0-2ml-Graduated-Pipettes-Dropper-Polyethylene-for-Experiment-Medical-E0Xc-/161024034053?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item257dc7c505

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

thanks monsta , found some nice brown glass dropper bottles here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BMJ6QME/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3H7KNYP1F9B41

they have nice brown glass jars and bottles of all sizes

The PG VG i got came in 100ml bottles with small holes bloody hard to get the stuff out the PG is thick , the VG is like a bloody solid not a liquid, i was going to make all my juices 50/50 im not sure now , that is very very thick.

I also made mistake of getting nicotine in 50/50 pg/vg base should have got just PG live and learn i guess but hard to work with, be easier to draw concrete up a syringe lol

The girlfriend rang she was able to get brown glass bottles 50ml and 100ml with large top ill transfer stuff into those then i wont have to use needle on syringe , and she got glass dropper for concentrates.

No luck with pipettes but i might be able to manage without them until im next ordering stuff online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

thanks monsta , found some nice brown glass dropper bottles here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BMJ6QME/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3H7KNYP1F9B41

they have nice brown glass jars and bottles of all sizes
    I got these for 56c each, although you have to purchase 50 minimum, plastic but durable & a nice dropper insert, total €27.75 ;)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-50ML-Drop-Bottle-Brown-Plastic-Perm-Water-Sub-bottling-Cover-Needle-Nose-Small-Amber/1147536095.html

• Advertisement

There good value alright, i dont know where gf picked up the glass ones today hasnt returned yet but think she said 60c or something but they wont have a dropper

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

I'm about to get some e mixing supplies (already got mom and pops concentrates on the way) and don't want to f it up like I did the wicks (did people instinctively know .32mm is not the 32 kanthal everybody talks about? That's actually .20mm? FML as the kids say).

Can I ask; Is VG really that thick? I've seen this mentioned enough to believe it but M&P say their juices are 50/50 so....Arrgh, I'm looking at getting a 20% diluted VG base anyway so hopefully this might thin it out enough?

Also, I don't want to mention vendors but one is selling T Juice 'Arcane' nicotine for roughly 3 times the cost another is selling My Freedom Vapes nic juice. Does anyone know will this make a difference? A google of arcane doesn't turn up anything for me, but the T Juice PG and VG is very competitively priced so I'm inclined to believe it really is merited and if it's noticeble in the vape, f it, it's still cheaper than premade.

It'll cost me about 50-60 euro to get set up so I really don't want to mess up too much, regardless of a learning curve etc. So far I'm not saving a huge amount of money vaping because I'm going mad spending it on kit and equipment and would really like a break from worrying and spending for a month or so to appreciate it and put it on the back burner.

So any solid consensus would be much appreciated and followed. Is 50/50 juice possible in a regular enough clearo from DIY supplies (I got a milk frother as well to hopefully aid mixing)? Is it safer to get the nic base at least 80/20 PG? Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I meant to say, on the weekend I got some free syringes from a chemist (Lloyd's in Nutgrove). 2 x 5ml and 1 x 2.5ml (no needles). Don't know if this is policy or got particularly nice staff but worth a try in most places I'd say.
    I'm going to premix all my bases to get separate bottles of 13.5mg liquid ready to add to concentrate to make 50ml bottles of c. 10/11mg liquid. Terrible feeling it's not going to be as easy as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

accaguest wrote: »
    ...did people instinctively know .32mm is not the 32 kanthal everybody talks about? That's actually .20mm? FML as the kids say).
    .32mm is the 32 Kanthal people talk about nowadays (28AWG to Americans and the very strange people who mistakenly want to use American measurements with their "cups", and their ounces, and half a sneeze of salt and an elbow of pork), especially mech users or people wanting microcoils with a lot of turns.
    .20mm is 32AWG and is more suited for medium-high resistances.
    Is VG really that thick? I've seen this mentioned enough to believe it but M&P say their juices are 50/50 so....Arrgh, I'm looking at getting a 20% diluted VG base anyway so hopefully this might thin it out enough?
    VG is very thick (like maple syrup) but the PG thins it out and many manufacturers put a small drop of alcohol or distilled water in to thin it further.
    I don't want to mention vendors but one is selling T Juice 'Arcane' nicotine for roughly 3 times the cost another is selling My Freedom Vapes nic juice. Does anyone know will this make a difference?
    Nope, MFS' base is made to an extremely high standard by Alchem International & they supply pharma companies and a good few ejuice brands with nicotine. Apparently there was a bad batch last September/October due to a lack of appropriate tobacco by-products but that issue's meant to be sorted now, new procedures in place.
    Is 50/50 juice possible in a regular enough clearo from DIY supplies (I got a milk frother as well to hopefully aid mixing)? Is it safer to get the nic base at least 80/20 PG? Anything else?
    50/50 will work better in a bottom-coil than a top coil and both types will work better again if using cotton as a wick. No need to get 80/20 unless you're into top-coils, silica wicks and high wattages.
    I get my nic @ 50/50 and was using 50/50 when I used to use clearos,
    I'm going to premix all my bases to get separate bottles of 13.5mg liquid ready to add to concentrate to make 50ml bottles of c. 10/11mg liquid. Terrible feeling it's not going to be as easy as it sounds.
    This idea isn't as bad with the M&Ps as they're supposed to be a standard 20% mix but if you ever start mixing concentrates outside of M&P then pre-mixing your base is a terrible idea. Some concentrates need a lot, some need very very little.

Thanks Grindle.

I'll go with the MFS so and make 5ml batches at around 18% flavour to see. Hopefully that will hit the right spot with most of them.

What could possibly go wrong.

Dont forget some syringes 10ml are handy 2.5ml too, empty storage bottles im finding bigger openings make life a lot easier,

this might be an odd way but what i did today was stick my syringe into a spud, took out the plunger and filled the syringe from the top found it much easier than trying to draw that thick liquid up syringe,

Love the 50/50 myself lovely thick vapor you could almost chew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Dont forget some syringes 10ml are handy 2.5ml too, empty storage bottles im finding bigger openings make life a lot easier,

this might be an odd way but what i did today was stick my syringe into a spud, took out the plunger and filled the syringe from the top found it much easier than trying to draw that thick liquid up syringe,

This!^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

grindle wrote: »

50/50 will work better in a bottom-coil than a top coil and both types will work better again if using cotton as a wick. No need to get 80/20 unless you're into top-coils, silica wicks and high wattages.
    I get my nic @ 50/50 and was using 50/50 when I used to use clearos,

I can't speak for all 50/50 bases but as far as M&Ps is concerned I've experienced no issues whatsoever with the iclear 30.

The only juice that's given me problems with dry hits to date is Halo's Malibu, I had to jimmy an extra cotton wick (with mesh) and I haven't had a dry hit since.

Thanks again for the info on this thread.

I made up some 5ml samples and then 30ml batches of the 5 M&P concentrate flavours on Friday. Been vaping the 5ml tests as I'm all out of juice and will try and let the others get at least a week steep.

I thought I was making 50PG/42.5VG/7.5Diluted at 10.5mg, with 18% flavouring, but the concentrated flavours say they're just PG and flavouring so I'm not too sure where I ended up exactly.

I had a little problem with the 5mls as the calculator said 18 drops should have been .9ml but no way was it. Dropping in to a syringe looked like 35 drops to a ml so I went back and prob added too much to compensate in the 5mls.

From the 5ml;

Pchela's: good straight off the bat. Very pleased and hope the steep betters it again.

Butterfly Bait: way too chemically. I hope this will go in the steep, if not I'll dilute it down. Not too good tbh.

Red Ridge Mist: The best. Better than the premade I had gotten before. Smoother and with nice vanilla on the exhale. Favourite by a distance and I wasn't too pushed when I had bought it.

Banana Maze: So far it has the same problem I find with all bananas. Just too artificial tasting. Like a sharp banana sweet and too thin in the vape. Again, maybe steep will help.

RY4v2: The biggest problem. Smelled lovely out of the flavour bottle - almost like a custard - mixed it at 18%, vaped it and f me it's disgusting. Same taste I got from premade haze. Maybe their tobaccos aren't for me (are they NETs?). I thought it might have been haze but this is the same funky taste imo. A quick google shows a lot of people saying 10% is enough for their tobaccos so I diluted it straight down but haven't had the nerve to go again yet and I'm feeling the base is more valuable than it at the moment so will get rid if it doesn't work. Along with haze (and a 2e bottle of 'Pina Colada'), worst flavour I ever tried.

Lazy man's approach to DIY as somebody said, but it's looking like 55e all in for about 270ml of 10.5mg juice and 30/40ml of 50mg left.

I'll see what the steep does, everybody says it improves it, but I'm not 100% yet. Some may be just wrong mixes. Otherwise, it's a great way to do a first mix imo and works out about half price.

On a side note: why isn't higher nic concentrate juice more expensive? It's far more expensive to buy. 6mg versus 24mg would really add up surely in larger quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

On a side note: why isn't higher nic concentrate juice more expensive? It's far more expensive to buy. 6mg versus 24mg would really add up surely in larger quantities.
    Profit margins are high on ejuice (depending on how the juice-maker views their experimentation time & waste involved).

One averaged price is easier to keep a track of and sell than 4 or 5 different prices.

You'd also have more beginners buying the low mg stuff just because it's cheaper and then failing to make the transition, denouncing ecigs as crap and not repeating their custom.

It just makes more sense to have a standardised price, but I imagine we'll have a situation in the next couple of years where some me-me-me types will start acting up to have their price lowered whereas what will actually happen is their price would remain the same and the higher-nic juices would raise in price.
    And then they'll be aghast that the companies weren't leaping to screw themselves over! Consumers are shocking.

I didn't know margins were that high on it tbh. I was thinking more from a producers point of view because I'm very happy with juice prices and am pessimistic they'll stay anywhere near this low after regulation.

The way I'm making it is obv retail but at 4e for 10mls from a shop for good premade, I was surprised that it's all the same.

I got 100ml nic @50mg for 15e. so for a 10 ml bottle with no flavouring

@5mg is 1ml so 15c.

@20mg is 4ml so 60c.

That's a difference of over 10% of the final selling price. And considering PG and VG seem negligble in comparison, that seems huge to me.

I wasn't looking for a price cut, just surprised you don't pay a premium for extra.

Maybe this is really why you can't get 36mg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

I thought I was making 50PG/42.5VG/7.5Diluted at 10.5mg, with 18% flavouring, but the concentrated flavours say they're just PG and flavouring so I'm not too sure where I ended up exactly.

I had a little problem with the 5mls as the calculator said 18 drops should have been .9ml but no way was it. Dropping in to a syringe looked like 35 drops to a ml so I went back and prob added too much to compensate in the 5mls.

Been going through all the threads recently and found this as I'm gonna start mixing my own juices soon as my current supply runs out. Found this calculator and I think it's honestly the best calculator out of all I've found. You can tell it what percentage of PG/VG your nicotine base is and what your target is. And what your desired mix is (70/30. 60/40, 50/50 etc....) and it gives you exactly how much of each you need depending on the PG/VG content of your nic base. Definitely gonna be my go to calulator anyway :D

I got this to download when I bought my supplies, it's very good. I only mix from concentrate so don't use all the options but I like the offline/print options and factoring in the flavouring ratio.

From the little bit of mixing I've done a bit of advice I'd give is: factor in 10-14 days steeping for every juice you make. It's impossible, for me anyway, to leave them alone but none of mine were really ready before that at least. I was shocked that they changed so much just sitting in the bottle.

And I wouldn't make too much at a time. I made about 200ml at first so when I got to the last 50ml or so it had stewed rather than steeped. About 60ml at a go now.

And a good video here on all the a-z of it.

It's great DIYing, especially with concentrates, I can be very choosy with what juice I buy premade now. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

No luck with pipettes but i might be able to manage without them until im next ordering stuff online

http://www.bargainvapour.com/60ml_Bottle___Dropper/p1274299_11580068.aspx

http://www.bargainvapour.com/E-liquid_Dripper_3ml/p1274299_7998202.aspx

Pipettes and dropper bottles - where I got mine from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

This is what I noticed first, the great vapour off my own 50:50 VG/PG juices, makes me seriously wonder about some juices I have vaped that claimed to be 1:1 VG/PG.....want to move to somewhere around 80% VG and I think that is going to take a bit of fiddling around with devices........more fiddling.....and faffing....and f......:)

Does anyone know of any chemists that sell PG and VG? Trying to save myself the postage cost.

• Advertisement

Cheapest way I'd say is to get it off boots UK delivered to ParcelMotel. I don't know of any chemists that sell it and it seems PG is only available from boots over there by prescription(?)

Thanks, I'll knock into a chemist and see first. I think neither need a prescription but PG might have to be ordered. I should buy it from a vendor cause I could see myself buying the wrong thing (is Glycerin VG?), but it's re-up time on all my mixing supplies and I forgot how expensive it seems when shelling out for everything at the same time.

(is Glycerin VG?)

As far as I know it is, but it needs to be followed or preceded by (B.P.). That's the pharmaceutical grade/food grade. Pharma grade is most recommended though.

Edit: if buying from a US source the (B.P.) should be substituted by USP/Kosher

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

I got a bottle from a small chemist yesterday, 4.60 for 150ml Glycerine B P , Irish made by Ultrapure Labs Co Mayo.

It seems a bit more fluid and sweeter than the one I got from e-cigshop but it will probably do.
    I tried the local Boots shop but they don't stock it here.In the UK Boots it's only 1.29 for 200ml so I sent Boots an email and got a reply this morning.

Thank you for contacting us at Boots.ie regarding the Value Health Glycerin B.P - 200ml that you would like to buy.

Unfortunately this item is not available to buy from Boots in the Republic of Ireland at present, however I have passed your query onto the Healthcare team to be looked into.

I apologise for any disappointment caused by this. If we can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us on 1890 200 008 with your personal reference number 13209385.

Kind regards,

Jessica Neal
    Boots Customer Care

Maybe if they got a few more emails they might stock it here :)

I got a bottle from a small chemist yesterday, 4.60 for 150ml Glycerine B P , Irish made by Ultrapure Labs Co Mayo.

It seems a bit more fluid and sweeter than the one I got from e-cigshop but it will probably do.
    I tried the local Boots shop but they don't stock it here.In the UK Boots it's only 1.29 for 200ml so I sent Boots an email and got a reply this morning.

Thank you for contacting us at Boots.ie regarding the Value Health Glycerin B.P - 200ml that you would like to buy.

Unfortunately this item is not available to buy from Boots in the Republic of Ireland at present, however I have passed your query onto the Healthcare team to be looked into.

I apologise for any disappointment caused by this. If we can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us on 1890 200 008 with your personal reference number 13209385.

Kind regards,

Jessica Neal
    Boots Customer Care

Maybe if they got a few more emails they might stock it here :)

It would probably be priced well above the exhale rate if they did. Parcel Motel it. Get a litre for less than €15.

That's a good deal.

got this from a Uk Vaper forum, they do VG as well as flavours.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIKOOL-MPG-MONO-PROPYLENE-GLYCOL-PHARMA-GRADE-BETTER-THAN-FOOD-GRADE-99-/370749387759?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item565262b3ef

It is showing p&p because of Irish IP but they have free delivery in Uk so it would work out really cheap with Parcel Motel.

I wouldn't deal with them. They also have a store on Amazon. I emailed them asking for the MSDS and was told that it's not available to the general public. Only to large wholesale customers and only after purchase.

Yeah, that's weird but they seem to be getting a lot of good feedback from UKvapers forum.
    Maybe they get a couple of requests like that a day so they won't for small orders.

• Advertisement

That's the same company but it looks like their Ebay prices are cheaper.
    Did they ship it direct or did you use Parcel Motel?

Advertisement