Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuter cosidering Dunboyne - whats it like to live in?

• 16-09-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi All

we are a couple + bump working in Dublin (docklands area) and considering Dunboyne as a place to move to (renting).

Whats dunboyne like?

How do you find the train commute to Dublin?

What estates in particular come highly recommended?
    Or, in other words, which ones would you avoid?

Thanks ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

Dunboyne is a lovely country town, good pubs nice restaurants, lots of lovely housing estates couldnt pick out a bad one to be honest, probably the cheapest area to rent is Dunboyne Castle as you can rent a 2 bed apt for 750 upwards.

To be close to the train station perhaps Millfarm or Larchfield but these are 4 /5 bed houses min rent 1000 p/m

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

ljcoolk wrote: »
    Dunboyne is a lovely country town, good pubs nice restaurants, lots of lovely housing estates couldnt pick out a bad one to be honest, probably the cheapest area to rent is Dunboyne Castle as you can rent a 2 bed apt for 750 upwards.

To be close to the train station perhaps Millfarm or Larchfield but these are 4 /5 bed houses min rent 1000 p/m

+1

Bus service is quiet good as is train. Dunboyne is closer to the city then people think. I can drive to stoneybatter in approx 25 min sat-sun.

I work in ballyfermot and it takes me 35-40 min in morning which is not bad. Great community to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Is there good amenities there or is there travel required.
    What I mean is Pool, gym, shopping centre?

Prob head out this weekend to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    What I mean is Pool, gym, shopping centre?

Prob head out this weekend to check it out.

While your out there, check out the gym in the community centre on Station Road. And Blanchardstown S.C. is less than 10 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Im a dub in Dunboyne. Lovely place to live with decent pubs. la bucca is a great restaurant and theres a Good gym called Verve over the euro spar.

No pool locally and a lack of a decent supermarket, spar is very poor for fresh food. Meat is regularly gone off etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

hi,

Im also out in Dunboyne ( bout 8 years now ) and I love it. great little village. Bradys trad session on a Thursday is a must ! Train will get you to Docklands in 25 mins. I take the bus and it takes just under an hour to get into Baggot st ( train home). Very safe place, never had any problems.

Blanch is only 15 mins away and there is also a direct bus (270 ). But the village has everything we need

Let me know if you have any questions

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oosiewoosie

We are also looking at Dunboyne as a possible place to live. We are in a similar position in that we have a little one so to us schools and creche are important. What do people think of Dunboyne from a community point of view? Is there a nice community feel to the place? Is it a nice place to bring up children? Are the schools good? Are there plenty of activity options for children? We would be looking to buy, ideally within walking distance of the town but in a house with good privacy. Really appreciate all comments and opinions. Thanks a mill

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd imagine Dunboyne works well as a nice suburb of Dublin, still within easy reach of the city but a nicer place to live than some of the closer spots to Dublin. It's a village rather than a town, so it does lack some facilities as mentioned above (like a pool etc.), but there's some nice estates. Some of the estates are very big (Dunboyne Castle, Millfarm) but there are also smaller more mature estates like Chestnut Grove which would be a nice estate for a family home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We are also looking at Dunboyne as a possible place to live. We are in a similar position in that we have a little one so to us schools and creche are important. What do people think of Dunboyne from a community point of view? Is there a nice community feel to the place? Is it a nice place to bring up children? Are the schools good? Are there plenty of activity options for children? We would be looking to buy, ideally within walking distance of the town but in a house with good privacy. Really appreciate all comments and opinions. Thanks a mill

There is an excellent gaelscoil and a very good secondary school too. There is a community centre beside the secondary school that loads of the kids have their birthday parties in and seems to be permanently busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

Dunboyne is a hard place to classify. IMO, it is not either a town or a village. I never felt any community feel while I lived there and definitely far form having a village feeling. Too close to D15 for that IMO.
    It is a very handy location to live if you are communicating to Dublin city center. There are few places to avoid, as anywhere really, but in general it is quiet enough when compared to Dublin city. The downside of Dunboyne is that you will need to drive everywhere (or buses and trains) therefore your travel expenses will go up.
    Creque seems ok from what I heard. Secondary school has a good reputation. Gaelscoil may be excellent but it is such an eyesore building! Why did not they build a real proper school?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Galego wrote: »
    Gaelscoil may be excellent but it is such an eyesore building! Why did not they build a real proper school?

Probably a lack of money, and the need to build something sustainable i.e. they can easily add sections to a building like that (they already expanded it a few years ago).

It's a damn sight better than the miserable, cold, damp prefabs I did my primary schooling in!

PauloMN wrote: »
    Probably a lack of money, and the need to build something sustainable i.e. they can easily add sections to a building like that (they already expanded it a few years ago).

It's a damn sight better than the miserable, cold, damp prefabs I did my primary schooling in!

Is that gaelscoil school not prefab? Anyway, I guess it is better than nothing.

The Dunboyne primary school also has some prefabs which were meant to be temporal, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭duffalosoldier

Thinking about Dunboyne ourselves and kids facilities and community is a major factor. Seems that everything is quite central in the town itself which is a major positive. Major problem of course is that there are very few houses available. We've been to open viewings and you can tell people are frustrated at the lack of availability. Have people any opinion on the Latchfield estate? Seems like a nice estate. Dont buy into the D15 equivalent comment - there seems to be a tighter community from our few visits so far. Certainly has impressed us anyway.

Thinking about Dunboyne ourselves and kids facilities and community is a major factor. Seems that everything is quite central in the town itself which is a major positive. Major problem of course is that there are very few houses available. We've been to open viewings and you can tell people are frustrated at the lack of availability. Have people any opinion on the Latchfield estate? Seems like a nice estate. Dont buy into the D15 equivalent comment - there seems to be a tighter community from our few visits so far. Certainly has impressed us anyway.

Latchfield is a nice estate but two things to be careful with: 1- pyrite and 2- floodings.

Watch out for those two to make sure you buy in "safe" ground. :-)

Wow that's the second reference I've seen on both Pyrite and Flooding in Larchfield in the past hour. That's kinda scary but would get a good surveyor to check out. Thanks for that...

Wow that's the second reference I've seen on both Pyrite and Flooding in Larchfield in the past hour. That's kinda scary but would get a good surveyor to check out. Thanks for that...

I just know that the builders were involved in pyrite disputes in other estates which they built around the same time.

I remember a crazy flooding in that part of Dunboyne around 2005. Not sure if works have been carried out to prevent this again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

Hi I live in Larchfield, lovely estate great quality build on the house.

The pyrite issue is with regard to a number of 4 beds - approx 8 houses to my knowledge which back on to Station Road, a number of these have been sorted but as these houses were built circa 1997 it was common in a number of developments in Dublin and Meath.

The flooding issue last occured in 2002 and only for the grace of god that it was the Tolka River flowing through Bertie Aherne area Drumcondra the works were very quick to be put in place.

Since then we have gone through a lot of bad weather and rain and to date all is in order.

Larchfield is a great estate for people with young families lovely green and lots of children around.

hope this helps

Thanks for the reassurance peterobrien and good to hear feedback from somebody from the estate itself. The flooding risk is a big consideration only because it leaves it harder to get insurance.

Glad to hear that it is child friendly and to be honest we got that impression from our recent visit. Had only positive impressions until I learned of the hazards above. Like that its walking distance to the town and close proximity of Train. It sounds lovely and any more info on the estate and area would help. Is there good intigration among residence generally? Is it well kept and well lit etc? Have a big interest in Gaa so hoping to get involved in local team.

Thanks for the reassurance peterobrien and good to hear feedback from somebody from the estate itself. The flooding risk is a big consideration only because it leaves it harder to get insurance.

Glad to hear that it is child friendly and to be honest we got that impression from our recent visit. Had only positive impressions until I learned of the hazards above. Like that its walking distance to the town and close proximity of Train. It sounds lovely and any more info on the estate and area would help. Is there good intigration among residence generally? Is it well kept and well lit etc? Have a big interest in Gaa so hoping to get involved in local team.

Hi Duffalo Solider,

There are a lot of housing estates that were flooded in Dunboyne in 1987, 1999 and 2002 we have no issue with Insurance regarding flood cover.

The estate as you mentioned is close to the train and village and yet has a nice isolated feel as only residents tend to be around so there is minimum noise and traffic.

The area of Dunboyne is very amienity friendly and has a lot to offer you mentioned the local GAA club ST Peters which has team at all levels and age groups from Nursery to Meath Senior football Division 1.

There is also Dunboyne AFC on the outskirts of the town who are a large Soccer Club and cater for all age groups and levels. There is also Ladies GAA, a Running Club. There is rugby nearby in Westmanstown less than 5 minutes away and a Tennis Club in Clonee.

Away from Sports there are many other activities including Irish dancing, ballet, hip hop, Scouts, Art class etc...

There is lots to do in the village and sorrounding area.

Integration among the Larchfield residents in my opinion is quite good neighbours are friendly and I am not aware of any issues or distubances to my knowledge.

The estate is run by the residents who pay an annual fee to the local elected committee this is quite small and reasonable. The estate is very well kept and as regards lighting is very good.

Most of the village is well lit apart from the back of Mill Farm which is not completely covered but that is only if you like walking late at night or in the winter months most village residents use a flash light,

Hope this helps anything else you need let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HenrikL

We moved to Dunboyne 6 years ago and love it. I work in town but the commute isnt too bad. Great village feel to the place and 25min drive from dublin city centre (on a good day). there is an aldi and lidl in clonee which is a 3 minute drive away. The schools have a great reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Gaelscoil is getting a new building soon , The initial Stages are underway .

Well the Larchfield option didn't materialise in the end.

Have been keeping an eye on Dunboyne Castle Estate though with some options likely to arise soon. Anybody any opinions on this estate or how it compares to Larchfield?

Well the Larchfield option didn't materialise in the end.

Have been keeping an eye on Dunboyne Castle Estate though with some options likely to arise soon. Anybody any opinions on this estate or how it compares to Larchfield?

Personally, and this is only my opinion, I do not like Dunboyne Castle estate at all. IMO, houses are very ugly looking and well overbuilt. Also there are some pyrite issues in the estate, not sure if all or only some.

This is only my opinion, I do not want to put you off. Some people seem to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HenrikL

Have to agree with this. We stayed in Dunboyne Castle for a while and the other estates are far superior in my opinion. Big mix of rental and bought accommodation which is fine but personally I would hold out for Larchfield or one of the other estates.

Personally, and this is only my opinion, I do not like Dunboyne Castle estate at all. IMO, houses are very ugly looking and well overbuilt. Also there are some pyrite issues in the estate, not sure if all or only some.

This is only my opinion, I do not want to put you off. Some people seem to like it.

Thanks - all opinions are welcome and worth noting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Im a dub in Dunboyne. Lovely place to live with decent pubs. la bucca is a great restaurant and theres a Good gym called Verve over the euro spar.

No pool locally and a lack of a decent supermarket, spar is very poor for fresh food. Meat is regularly gone off etc.

Thats why there are 2 great Butcher shops in the village!

Dunboyne is a hard place to classify. IMO, it is not either a town or a village. I never felt any community feel while I lived there and definitely far form having a village feeling. Too close to D15 for that IMO.
    It is a very handy location to live if you are communicating to Dublin city center. There are few places to avoid, as anywhere really, but in general it is quiet enough when compared to Dublin city. The downside of Dunboyne is that you will need to drive everywhere (or buses and trains) therefore your travel expenses will go up.
    Creque seems ok from what I heard. Secondary school has a good reputation. Gaelscoil may be excellent but it is such an eyesore building! Why did not they build a real proper school?

Not sure why anybody would want to be “communicating to Dublin city center” (please don’t tell me you went to school in Dunboyne) but really can’t figure out why you need to drive anywhere to catch a train or bus??? The town has 2 train stations (M3 parkway is 1.5 KM from any of the developmenet on the Summerhill Road and closer than the Dunboyne stations if you live there. Dunboyne Station is beside Millfarm/Old Fair Green and a 10 minute walk from most of Beechdale/Dunboyne Castle/Chestnut Grove. The bus stops in the village (max 10 minute walk for anyone), outside the school (again close to Beechdale/Dunboyne Castle) and at Millfarm.

There are a number of creche all pretty good. All the primary schools attract children from outside the area (know one family who travel from Clonsilla to put their child in the Gaescoil so it must be good) and are highly regarded. The secondary school is now the 3rd largest in the country. Not had experience of it myself but feedback seems to be constantly good.

The flooding issue last occured in 2002 and only for the grace of god that it was the Tolka River flowing through Bertie Aherne area Drumcondra the works were very quick to be put in place.

The most recent floods were in Nov 2000 and again in Nov 2002. Larchfield (and Beechdale) which were built on flood plains were badly hit.

Since then significant work has taken place to address this (more got to do with the fact that it needed to be fixed to allow more over spill from Dublin to take place) and the problem seems to have been solved. The recent heavy rains of the last 2 years have seen no flooding at all and Dunboyne is probably now one of the best drained spots in the country! Prove of this now lies in the problems furhter down river in Mulhuddart and East Wall where the Tolka travels through – the works in Dunboyne have simply shifted the problem (but hey its not in my back yeard anymore J)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shinnypeople

All positive comments about Dunboyne which is great.

We are going to view a house in Dunboyne Castle this evening. We have great interest.

However, just heard from a family who lived in Dunboyne for three months a few years ago. They had very negative experience. Although the secondary school has very good reputation, their child's experience was very painful so that he chose to take one hour's bus to the Dublin City Center for a fee-paying school.

Wonder if there are any parents whose children are in the primary school and secondary school and your experience? Thanks.

• Advertisement

[
    However, just heard from a family who lived in Dunboyne for three months a few years ago. They had very negative experience. Although the secondary school has very good reputation, their child's experience was very painful so that he chose to take one hour's bus to the Dublin City Center for a fee-paying school.

Wonder if there are any parents whose children are in the primary school and secondary school and your experience? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hi Shinnypeople,

We are living in Dunboyne 16 Years and know lots of people parents and pupils alike who have gone through the primary / secondary school route.

I personally know of 3 people who have placed their children in fee paying secondary schools because of bullying. This is a fact and applies to a lot of other schools in different areas as well the danger you may appear to have is a new isolated child coming into this environment and how he / she will be treated.

We have our child in a fee paying primary school and that was due to many issues in the classroom which were not or never have been resolved, if you want any further details please PM.

But as mentioned above these issues are common in most areas and some people in the fee paying schools from well sought after Southside areas are there because of bullying as well and the necessity to switch.

These are my own personal experiences from people whom I know but as i stated earlier in this thread it is a fantastic village to live in.

Wishing you all the best.

Advertisement