Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toulon vs Munster buildup/ticket discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Navy clashes with POC's eyes.

Fair play to him for getting through the '08 final! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Fair play to him for getting through the '08 final! :D

rumour has it, contacts will be worn again :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Wayne Barnes confirmed as the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wayne Barnes confirmed as the ref.

Tough break. Although really he didn't effect the Leinster game much, but you'd always rather Owens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

.ak wrote: »
    Tough break. Although really he didn't effect the Leinster game much, but you'd always rather Owens.

Not a fan of Barnes, but I think Munster are used to him at this stage and at least it isn't Doyle. Owens is doing to other semi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Not a fan of Barnes, but I think Munster are used to him at this stage and at least it isn't Doyle. Owens is doing to other semi.

Happy with Barnes, he certainly didn't do leinster any damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

With every passing day my hope decreases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not sure I'll ever get the infatuation with refs, most are fine and certainly Barnes is.

It's the same ref for both teams

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Not sure I'll ever get the infatuation with refs, most are fine and certainly Barnes is.

It's the same ref for both teams

Some refs are complete homers though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Which refs are homers?

Grimebox wrote: »
    Which refs are homers?

Owens is a great ref to have at home. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How much are you paying for your seats and where are you sitting?

Compo_Perpignan2_1000.jpg

It's very interesting to see Habana not featuring.

That team above put Perpignan to the sword and could have scored two or three more tries.

Habana had a slight knock and wasn't risked, Laporte said if the match was a final he would played. So it looks like he'll be available for Sunday.

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/coupe-d-europe/2013-2014/h-cup-toulon-bryan-habana-devrait-etre-operationnel-contre-le-munster_sto4220217/story.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Grimebox wrote: »
    Which refs are homers?

Joubert I believe. After the England game this year (think he reffed it can't remember for sure) but whoever the ref was when he officiates the home team wins 80% of the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    Joubert I believe. After the England game this year (think he reffed it can't remember for sure) but whoever the ref was when he officiates the home team wins 80% of the time.

I remember that stat coming out all right.

When it was looked into though the home team for games he reffed were usually massive favourites as it was Ire v Ita or Eng v Scot and games like that.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I remember that stat coming out all right.

When it was looked into though the home team for games he reffed were usually massive favourites as it was Ire v Ita or Eng v Scot and games like that.

But in a way that's a misleading stat, home advantage is just huge in rugby. I would say probably 80% of home teams win. That's roughly the q/f success rate of home teams in the H cup.

The lineout is their weakness, it was mentioned during the Perpignan match that Toulon has one of the worst lineouts in France. Leinster couldn't really take advantage of it as their own lineout went to pieces. Craig Burden was outstanding against Leinster in open play but his throwing is suspect. If POC can produce a Harlequins-like performance then Munster could dominate. Toulon's Virgile Bruni is one of their best lineout options (think he is one of the top opposition lineout poachers in the Top14) but he'll probably only make the bench with a Smith-Armitage-Lobbe starting trio.

The lineout was poor against Connacht, would Penney be tempted to start Duncan Casey in a match like this? His darts are savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

The lineout is their weakness, it was mentioned during the Perpignan match that Toulon has one of the worst lineouts in France. Leinster couldn't really take advantage of it as their own lineout went to pieces. Craig Burden was outstanding against Leinster in open play but his throwing is suspect. If POC can produce a Harlequins-like performance then Munster could dominate. Toulon's Virgile Bruni is one of their best lineout options (think he is one of the top opposition lineout poachers in the Top14) but he'll probably only make the bench with a Smith-Armitage-Lobbe starting trio.

The lineout was poor against Connacht, would Penney be tempted to start Duncan Casey in a match like this? His darts are savage.

POM is a huge loss in the lineout, and it leaves us without any great options in the backrow. Couple that to Ryan looking likely to be missing, and it really has to be the POC show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Compo_Perpignan2_1000.jpg

It's very interesting to see Habana not featuring.

Can anyone explain why Armitage is playing at 8 with Lobbe on the flank? I would've thought they'd be better the opposite way.
    Armitage was fantastic as an openside but hes a but short for an 8 no?

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why Armitage is playing at 8 with Lobbe on the flank? I would've thought they'd be better the opposite way.
    Armitage was fantastic as an openside but hes a but short for an 8 no?

Chris Masoe is injured and Armitage moving to 8 allows Juan Smith to start at 6. Last year Armitage wasn't a regular starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,029 ✭✭✭✭phog

For those of you lucky enough to be heading over

HEC SEMI-FINAL MEETING POINTS:

For those travelling this weekend the following are designated meeting points.

Shamrock Pub, 16-17 Quai de Rive Neuve, 13007 Marseille .

O'Malleys, 9 Quai de Rive Neuve, 13001 Marseille .

O'Bradys, 378 Avenue de Mazargues, 13008 Marseille .

On Sunday we will be joined by Toulon Supporters club at O'Bradys where we are invited to travel to the stadium with their supporters in a Red double deck coach.

All venues will show the 1st Semi final on Saturday. to be going

It must be. A huge coach

phog wrote: »
    For those of you lucky enough to be heading over

It must be. A huge coach

Perfect place to display my John Hayes Ligind banner before I bring it into the ground.

Perfect place to display my John Hayes Ligind banner before I bring it into the ground.

When are you heading over?

When are you heading over?

Thursday to Tuesday

Thursday to Tuesday

Lovely.

Enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I hope you bash seven shades of sh*ite out of these lads at the weekend.

Leinster were spineless and directionless over in Toulon, but with the game moved to Marsaille and with a blue print of what not to do from the Leinster game as well as a good video of what Toulon will want to do against Munster (more or less exactly the same plan for them I'd imagine), I give Munster every chance in this one.

I think the most sickening thing losing to them was that fear definitely lost it for Leinster. We lost the game before we set foot on the pitch, but only realised during the game that these mercenaries are eminently beatable.

I think Toulon stand for everything that's wrong with modern rugby and Munster stand for the tradition and integrity of the game.

Give 'em hell and redeem the Irish reputation over there, left in tatters by Leinster unfortunately.

Lovely.

Enjoy it.

Cheers, I won't make it to Cardiff if we win (my rugby budget is more than used up now!) and hopefully supporters will have another trip before the end of May.

So...teams anyone? By the looks of things Laulala will be fit so Earls will be back on the wing. Downey needs to be on Stop Bastareaud duty, not a duty I think any player would be envious of! He needs to go around smashing bodies a la Mike Brown last year. A big hit on the likes of Rossouw or Juan Smith wouldn't go amiss either!

• Advertisement

So...teams anyone? !

Well CJ seems to taken the 6 jersey in POMs absence, Dougall might have won the 7 jersey. If JJ isn't fit Conway might have done enough last week to stake a claim on the bench along with either Murphy or GdvH or will Penney use the spot for an extra forward.

Advertisement