Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the annual Good Friday thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

And God said, "here, yiz can't drink on Good Friday... Unless you're in a hotel or go to that Leinster game in the RDS"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That_Guy wrote: »
    And God said, "here, yiz can't drink on Good Friday... Unless you're in a hotel or go to that Leinster game in the RDS"

Don't forget, later on in that same book he explains his reasonsing:

"Yiz can't drink on Good Friday because yiz killed me son even though I knew yiz would do that because I'm omnipotent and because I made yiz wrongly even though I'm infallible."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yes there is. But this doesn't prove your assetion right. Let's meet up in 25 years and see if the RCC still exists. Perhaps we should invite the other 1.2 billion roman catholics (or however many there are by then) for the craic.

Or we could meet up in 25 years and see where I said the RCC would not exist in 25 years. My point was that religosity has been decreasing for decades now, and will continue to do so as people who are from older generations (and therefore more likely to be religious in the first place) die.

Not that there will be no religious people in 25 years, as there clearly will be, just far fewer than there are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,578 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I say keep Good Friday drink free. Not for religious reasons but i'd say it must be one of, if not the, safest and most pleasant nights in Dublin of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

I say keep Good Friday drink free. Not for religious reasons but i'd say it must be one of, if not the, safest and most pleasant nights in Dublin of the year.

Indeed. I love Good Friday.
    One of my favorite Good Friday pastimes is wandering through temple bar to watch the gaggles of blokes in tu-tu's and groups of lardy ladies from Hull in 'L' plates and bridal wear stagger through the streets with a confused look on their faces like the rapture just happened or hammering on pub on pub doors like zombie extras from The Walking Dead and then turing on each other and trying to murder the best man\Head bridesmaid.
    Tis great fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

What about the rest of the country outside Dublin?
    Not every drinker is a scumbag you know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

catallus wrote: »
    Maybe you're the one who should grow up if you insist on calling religious faith "believing in an invisible man"

Yeah grow up, he's actually THREE men in one. Only two of whom are invisible. Jesus was totally visible a few thousand years ago, if they'd invented cameras back then you'd look like SUCH a fool right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

So all pubs stop serving at 12 tonight too?

So it's 2 days they've messed up on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Good reason to repeal the law then, times change.

Well you do it then. We're having elections next year as far as I know, run on this campaign and see if it works. I don't drink any day so it makes no real difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So all pubs stop serving at 12 tonight too?

So it's 2 days they've messed up on me!

Yup. All bars stop serving at 12.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Where are the Garth Brooks Easter eggs?

A Garth Brooks mug with an egg.

There's loads of one direction easter eggs. But not one Garth Brooks.

I dont get it he sold more tickets than one direction and there's no easter eggs with pictures of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its a pity Munster arent playing Leinster in Limerick :(

Ireland will be a thirsty place tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

mikeym wrote: »
    Its a pity Munster arent playing Leinster in Limerick :(

Ireland will be a thirsty place tomorrow.

Get to an off licence before 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

At last, a good reason not too open pubs on good friday. I don't think most people give a crap that its closed, its more the reason its closed that bothers us\me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I just dont understand why we don have a law requiring butchers to close down. Although it is a Catholic thing so picking stuff out and ignoring the rest is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Absolutely, I mean there is no evidence that religiosity has decreased in Ireland since the 1980s
    i suspect it has though, remember people do put themselves down as catholic on the senses form, and take part in certain traditions such as christenings communions conformations and so on, even though they never practice the religion at any other time, but their isn't anything statistically to prove that it has decreased, its certainly a strange situation

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What about the rest of the country outside Dublin?
    Not every drinker is a scumbag you know
    exactly, but you know, as we support the lifting of the ban were obviously a bunch of raging alcoholics who can't live a day without a drink, good old ireland, you couldn't make it up

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Where are the Garth Brooks Easter eggs?

A Garth Brooks mug with an egg.

There's loads of one direction easter eggs. But not one Garth Brooks.

I dont get it he sold more tickets than one direction and there's no easter eggs with pictures of him.

I think you're on the wrong thread

exactly, but you know, as we support the lifting of the ban were obviously a bunch of raging alcoholics who can't live a day without a drink, good old ireland, you couldn't make it up

I agree, this "only one day" crap is really annoying to read.
    They are completely missing the point.
    If they don't want to drink then nobody is forcing them to.
    How anyone can support this law in 2014 is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

I agree, this "only one day" crap is really annoying to read.
    They are completely missing the point.
    If they don't want to drink then nobody is forcing them to.
    How anyone can support this law in 2014 is beyond me.

I think it's not that people support it, it's that it's not really important enough to care about. Well, I certainly don't care anyway, I have enough to be worrying about. It's a throwback law but... meh, basically.

• Advertisement

I think it's not that people support it, it's that it's not really important enough to care about. Well, I certainly don't care anyway, I have enough to be worrying about. It's a throwback law but... meh, basically.

I seem to remember a rugby match in Limerick between Munster and Leinster a few years ago on Good Friday and the pubs were open for the game.
    I remember it was a controversial decision, but nothing bad came about because of it.
    Seems more people care than many realise

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The simple fact of the matter is:

Keep the law - has a negative effect on people who want to have a beer.
    Abolish the law - has a negative effect on nobody.

I don't see the logic behind keeping it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I seem to remember a rugby match in Limerick between Munster and Leinster a few years ago on Good Friday and the pubs were open for the game.
    I remember it was a controversial decision, but nothing bad came about because of it.

Munster lost to Leinster for years after. They were cursed. By God.

I'm sure they do. I'm just not one of them.

The simple fact of the matter is:

Keep the law - has a negative effect on people who want to have a beer.
    Abolish the law - has a negative effect on nobody.

I don't see the logic behind keeping it?

There is no logic - I said that. I just said it's not pressing enough for some people to give a shít. It's an outdated law, every country has them. There are more important things to worry about. I simply can't get worked up about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The law about pubs closing on Good Friday is kinda irrelevant in many places. Pubs have become so poor that many have abandoned going to them. Good Friday is basically pubs closed and nobody in them, every other Friday is pubs open and nobody in them.

The reason for the law imo is no longer religious. It is often based on wishes of publicans who want to remain closed that day as a day off. Bar staff too. It is also the reason for the law that shops cannot sell alcohol. It relates into the same things as all this vintners-backed attacks on below cost selling, etc. of alcohol and to justify expensive pub prices.

Easter Saturday and St. Stephen's Day were two of the biggest days in pubs. The Christmas and Good Friday closures were supposed to make them busier than normal days. That is no longer the case.

I think that pubs do need to change their attitudes. Some treat their customers with contempt, some don't lay on any entertainment, some have all types of funny rules in them that are far more repressive and old fashioned than them being closed on Good Friday!! If pubs want to not be like Good Friday every Friday (that is, empty), they do need to change their often abysmal attitudes.

Hopefully Good Friday will stay as it is for years to come. It's not a big sacrifice to stay off the meat and the drink for one day. I've the rest of the weekend to drink away to my hearts content.

I'll have my usual Good Friday round of golf (salmon sandwiches in the bag), fish for dinner and no drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Hopefully Good Friday will stay as it is for years to come. It's not a big sacrifice to stay off the meat and the drink for one day. I've the rest of the weekend to drink away to my hearts content.

I'll have my usual Good Friday round of golf (salmon sandwiches in the bag), fish for dinner and no drink.

But I can still buy meat, I then wander through the aisles of tesco after picking up my mince to see that no, I cannot buy a bottle of wine for dinner. I have no reason to make any sacrifices. If pubs want to remain closed then let them but I see no reason why the likes of spar and tesco cant sell me alcohol just because.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Plenty of people have to work on good Friday. IMO the pubs should remain open so that those who are non religious and would like to go for a few drinks on Friday evening have that option. It's nothing to do with sticking it to religious people, I have no problem with people being religious, but they can just elect not to go to the pub. It's nothing to do with being unable to cope without drink either, it's just to have the option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

So you're a Catholic then?

Why is your religion telling me what I can or cannot do tomorrow?

It's 2014 last time I checked

Advertisement