Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the annual Good Friday thread?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Plenty of people have to work on good Friday. IMO the pubs should remain open so that those who would like to go for a few drinks on Friday evening should have that option. It's nothing to do with sticking it to religious people, I have no problem with people being religious, but they can just elect not to go to the pub.

1st off, I have largely given up going to pubs on Fridays. It is dull and very boring there in recent times.

Sometimes, I wonder about all these religious laws. Many Christian and Islamic sects ban alcohol outright despite there being no commandment or law to ban alcohol in the Bible or Koran. The basis on banning alcohol comes from both religion's banning of drunk and disorderly activities which is a sin (or wrongdoing). It sickens me that someone comes along and bans alcohol for religious reasons and tries to justify it.

Be thankful that alcohol is only banned for one day in Ireland. And that anyone can buy it beforehand and drink it at home. Other countries, it is much worse:

In Saudi Arabia, every day is like Good Friday only you are not supposed to have it in the home either. Excluded from these rules are members of that country's royal family and connections of course.

In Iran, alcohol is banned for poor people only. Which is a sizeable proportion of the country. The government, rich people, Christians, Jews, traditional Iranian religious followers (Zoroastrians) and tourists can all legally drink in Iran once they know where they can go to get it and not let on they can drink to the poor. A blind eye is turned to pro-system poor people who buy alcohol from Revolutionary Guards and make them rich.

In Afghanistan, the Taliban ceremoniously drove over alcoholic drinks with tanks. In this case, these heroin dealing idealists thought alcohol was too weak and killed off their own business!

Poor interpretation of scripture like 'some good and a lot of evils are found in wine' or 'a little wine is good, too much wine can lead to great dangers' is the justification for banning it completely. When in fact the scripture is not advocating banning it but warning of potential dangers in it.

And, oh yeah, both Mohammed and Jesus did drink themselves.

BUT when has that stopped overzealous idiots from imposing something not even in the religion onto others: women covering up for religious purposes, men wearing beards for the same reason, refraining from meat on certain days for the same reason, etc, etc, are all examples of 'religious' traditions that never are even talked about in scripture!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Be thankful that alcohol is only banned for one day in Ireland. And that anyone can buy it beforehand and drink it at home. Other countries, it is much worse

Or we could aspire to be like countries that don't have legal systems riddled with religion?

Or we could aspire to be like countries that don't have legal systems riddled with religion?

Yes. I would suspect that we'd be one of the few if only country to have such a law in Europe. I know such laws exist for poor people in the Middle East and I know that such laws are even more intolerant in religious parts of America. Other than that, I'd say we are among the few left.

Ireland is I'd say 80% atheist today with a 15% trad Catholic and 5% other religious groups. But, religious laws can suit other lobby groups like the vintners who can justify days off for publicans and to keep the shops closed so they don't rob them of more business!!

Also, the Catholic mass is one of the religious ceremonies where alcohol is part of the ceremony. Religion is also used in Iran as an exception for relaxing the banning of alcohol. If a local priest issues a fatwa there that drinking alcohol is the person's religious duty, that is then ok. That privilige tends to be given to the rich, connected, etc. Islamic people but is also allowed for Christians due to the mass requirements of body and blood of Christ. And for Muslims who want to remember Jesus too. Unlike say Hinduism (which is a totally separate creed), Islam is very much another take on Christianity (Islam is basically a derivative form of Catholicism originally where Jesus is not the son of god anymore but a prophet: so, was Mohammed and not Henry VIII or Martin Luther the first protestant?). Christianity in turn is revamped Judaism. Jesus is even called Rabbi in scripture and considered himself a Jew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hopefully Good Friday will stay as it is for years to come. It's not a big sacrifice to stay off the meat and the drink for one day. I've the rest of the weekend to drink away to my hearts content.

I'll have my usual Good Friday round of golf (salmon sandwiches in the bag), fish for dinner and no drink.
    So i can't go to the pub for a pint but i can go to a chipper etc & have a burger
    ( if it's real meat :pac: )

The Master wrote: »

Why is your religion telling me what I can or cannot do tomorrow?

Because you need to be as you won't do it by choice.
    delw wrote: »
    So i can't go to the pub for a pint but i can go to a chipper etc & have a burger
    ( if it's real meat :pac: )

I wouldn't be against a ban on the sale of meat also, especially from take always, reaturants etc . You will hear of some places which refuse to sell meat Good Friday and fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I wouldn't be against a ban on the sale of meat also, especially from take always, reaturants et . You will hear of some places which refuse to sell meat Good Friday and fair play to them.
    The point i was making is why are they allowed have the opinion to sell it if pubs don't

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I wouldn't be against a ban on the sale of meat also, especially from take always, reaturants etc . You will hear of some places which refuse to sell meat Good Friday and fair play to them.

Why does it make any difference to your life what other people do? It strikes me as a really weird and arrogant attitude to have. Perhaps you should spend more time trying to fix the many issues within your antiquated and hypocritical religion before making suggestions for what other people should and shouldn't do.

Apologies for not heeding moral advice from a religion that defends and covers up the perpetration of child abuse, denies basic human rights to certain sections of society and mistreated generations of Irish women through what was effectively slave labour. If God does exist, I'd hope he'd care more about that than people drinking alcohol and eating meat on Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Why does it make any difference to your life what other people do? It strikes me as a really weird and arrogant attitude to have. Perhaps you should spend more time trying to fix the many issues within your antiquated and hypocritical religion before making suggestions for what other people should and shouldn't do.

Apologies for not heeding moral advice from a religion that defends and covers up the perpetration of child abuse, denies basic human rights to certain sections of society and mistreated generations of Irish women through what was effectively slave labour. If God does exist, I'd hope he'd care more about that than people drinking alcohol and eating meat on Good Friday.

Its the Government that makes the laws, go to your local TD if you want the pubs open on Good Friday.

Secondly, you might not agree with a particular religon, but there is no reason it should have to change to suit your views on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

But people who aren't religious shouldn't be affected by a religious custom. If the pubs were open, people who are religious (and nothing wrong with that) would still have the option to abstain from going to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Hopefully Good Friday will stay as it is for years to come. It's not a big sacrifice to stay off the meat and the drink for one day. I've the rest of the weekend to drink away to my hearts content.

I'll have my usual Good Friday round of golf (salmon sandwiches in the bag), fish for dinner and no drink.

You wouldn't be able to do this if pubs were open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

But people who aren't religious shouldn't be affected by a religious custom. If the pubs were open, people who are religious (and nothing wrong with that) would still have the option to abstain from going to the pub.

The laws date from when the church had a say in the running of the country, long before any of us were around, nobody wants to go back to those days, but it's the Government that has the power to change this rule so it's the local TD people should be speaking to about this if they feel strongly enough about it.

Whinging about it on an internet forum won't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

It's not a big sacrifice to stay off the meat and the drink for one day. I've the rest of the weekend to drink away to my hearts content.
    Again you are completely missing the point.
    It's not about "only one day". It's the principle of a silly nanny state law dictated to the whole country.
    If you don't want to drink then nobody is forcing you.
    Do you really need the pubs closed in order to stay off drink?, are people really that weak willed?
    Why do you need the law to make your decisions for you?
    Good for you. I'll be in Portland Oregon, beer brewery capital of the world, spending Good Friday in the pubs enjoying the many quality beers on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Anyone know if the post Offices are open today?

Heard that they are from their notice on their door last week, and now a couple of people have said no, just checking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the post Offices are open today?

Heard that they are from their notice on their door last week, and now a couple of people have said no, just checking :)

They're closed, as far as I know.

Regarding pubs, they probably should be allowed to open on Good Friday. I'd suspect that the reason that they aren't is that most people aren't too pushed about it either way. They'll moan about it online, or maybe on a radio show, but will they lobby their TD's? I'd doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

How come I never hear people complaining about the fact that pubs are closed Christmas day, also a Christian holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

How come I never hear people complaining about the fact that pubs are closed Christmas day, also a Christian holiday.

I complain about it. Pub is meant to be great craic on Xmas day in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Just did a stock take there.
    Three bottles of wine, half a bottle of whisky, a bottle of brandy, gin and bacardi along with 23 cans of boddingtons is all we have in the house.

All set for the big day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Why should it concern you that people may want to drink on Good Friday. Any topic on drink and you go on about how much you knock back, yet you don't like drinking on Good Friday for some weird reason. You can't be too religious. You are an A La Carte Catholic, sometimes the worst type of Catholic. Are you afraid that you are so weak willed, that if pubs opened on Good Friday you would be forced to go?

Why so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I think it'd be much more beneficial if churches were required to all close for one day a year tbh.

I wonder how many pubs will close today and not reopen tomorrow??? It happened last year and at Christmas: a few pubs decided to use Christmas Day/Good Friday to close forever without warning. All too common around rural Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I really love good Friday because it's such a different start to a long weekend that the rest of the year. So many people are having parties and maybe a BBQ and enjoying the beautiful weather we have today.

However, I think religion has absolutely no place in state laws.

The argument that people have put to me expressing this opinion is mostly asking if I can't stay out of the pub for one day... I rarely in pubs to begin with and that's not an argument. Small pubs must be sickened that they're losing such potential business today.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I'm one of those people in an office who doesn't get the day off....boo urns!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

You need to clean your ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Hell Ram

I really love good Friday because it's such a different start to a long weekend that the rest of the year. So many people are having parties and maybe a BBQ and enjoying the beautiful weather we have today.

However, I think religion has absolutely no place in state laws.

The argument that people have put to me expressing this opinion is mostly asking if I can't stay out of the pub for one day... I rarely in pubs to begin with and that's not an argument. Small pubs must be sickened that they're losing such potential business today.

It's one Friday out of 52. They'll be fine and I'm sure the bar staff are glad of the day off. They can go out after midnight if they like.

And it's good as regards to getting people to do something a bit different (even if it involves an almighty p1ss up) - BBQ's, visiting friends and family for a few drinks (bit like Christmas day).

It's pathetic that every weekend for most people in the country primarily involves pubs.

It's something a lot of people moan about yet as soon as Good Friday comes along they've an an excuse to moan about something else...then they'll go back to moaning about the first thing.

Rightly or wrongly the pubs are closed. I really don't care why. It's one day (excl. Christmas) and unless you lobby your TD (or have done in the past) you've no right to whinge about it every freaking year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Hell Ram wrote: »
    It's one Friday out of 52. They'll be fine and I'm sure the bar staff are glad of the day off. They can go out after midnight if they like.

What if the bar staff would prefer to work and get the wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

It's pathetic that every weekend for most people in the country primarily involves pubs.

What do you do every weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Bought 24cans in Tesco yesterday, for 28 euro.
    In Ennis until tomorrow and the good Lord has blessed us with a fine sunny day down here.
    Sure, be rude not to tuck into them...

Some people would have you believe that bar staff work 363 days a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It's one Friday out of 52. They'll be fine and I'm sure the bar staff are glad of the day off.

Do you know any bar staff? When I was doing it I was only glad of the day off because of how mental Thursday was owing to people stocking up.

Advertisement