Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Golf Club/EA PGA 2015

• 15-04-2014 12:48am

Not sure is the lack of interest in Golf games the main reason there hasn't been any sort of thread around here on either of these two games.

But for someone like me big into my sports games as well as the rest of genres, I look forward to the yearly edition of TW.

Only came to my attention a month or so ago that EA and TW parted ways but they confirmed a next gen release of a PGA game in Spring 2014.

Roll forward 6months+ from that announcement and there hasn't been a peep since which is making the game seem like NBA Live 2014, which was confirmed as cancelled pretty late in the day.

Still the difference between NBA and Golf is they had a solid set up already in place having ran the franchise for a decent period.

While searching again earlier I came across mentions of ''The Golf Club'' on the EA forums.

So a quick search showed a game set for a Spring release but having already ran through a closed BETA since at least Feb(going by Youtube vids), which means that it'll probably be out in the next few weeks as stated.

Have to say it looks promising, especially given there may not be an EA game any time soon.

It's made by HB studios who were set to develop TW 2015 before they were pulled back off it by EA.
    They decided to go ahead and create their own game.
    The main sweetener with this game will be the inclusion of a custom editor which is quick and easy to use, allowing players to quickly construct a new course within seconds giving more playability.

It seems to look a fair bit like TW, but without the added boosts that TW came with on the lower difficulties(abilty to spin the ball post shot to get edge it closer to safety/the hole, green reads after putt set up).

If they can nail the physics and mechanics near to TW, it should work out as a fine investment with the course editor.... I'm actually looking forward to giving a go at making a local course here in Galway.

Scheduled for a PC, XBOX1 and PS4 release with an announcement for early access supposedly close.

Considering the lack of games for the next gen and the possibilities for this game, it could tide me over for a while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,471 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Actually has a touch of Everybody's Golf about it. Would be great if it went that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Looks really bad.

The thing for me that made the TW games was all the real courses, clubs, clothes and golfers. This game dosnt seem to have anything licensed.

And whats with that commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Commentary is terrible but it may just be temporary and so long as I can turn it off I don't mind.

Really looking forward to the game. Easy course design looks great BUT there is no AI to test your created courses out. This game will need a large community to survive.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Looks really bad.

The thing for me that made the TW games was all the real courses, clubs, clothes and golfers. This game dosnt seem to have anything licensed.

And whats with that commentary

The trailer is a bit dodge alright but the BETA gameplay makes it look pretty similar to TW.

In fairness, any decent course will be made by the community and it can be done near perfect if time is put into it.
    As for the clubs, clothes and golfers..... I think TW always failed to offer a true sim experience like the FIFA/Madden brands.
    You'd generally just play with your own player and rarely even come across the other pros bar some of the games pre tournament in the career.

A license for a golf game isn't as big of a deal then compared to FIFA.
    As you'll generally just make your own player and play with him entirely.

One thing we'll never get from TW is free courses as EA have a tendency to charge for those sort of products... and anyone who's played TW will know, they keep adding the same courses and once ya get the jist of a course, making mistakes becomes pretty hard.

Going by the BETA videos on Youtube, it seems to be coming along nicely. You can really add every sort of bump and slope to a course(elevated tee, drops down a hill to an elevated green) making the editor fairly chunky in terms of ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Been following this with interest but so far am not sold on the ball physics, bounce looks off tbh. PC badly needs a good golf game since TW online went belly up, was a staple for myself and 2 mates to get a couple of rounds in on our usual Sat night Skype Club before being face down on the keyboard after MoTD and 2 btles of wine (or lots of cans of cider/lager/ale depending on mood).

Any news on the EA effort for 2015? Any screenshots or leaked footage etc. The Golf Club will probably fill a hole until then. :)

• Advertisement

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Been following this with interest but so far am not sold on the ball physics, bounce looks off tbh. PC badly needs a good golf game since TW online went belly up, was a staple for myself and 2 mates to get a couple of rounds in on our usual Sat night Skype Club before being face down on the keyboard after MoTD and 2 btles of wine (or lots of cans of cider/lager/ale depending on mood).

Any news on the EA effort for 2015? Any screenshots or leaked footage etc. The Golf Club will probably fill a hole until then. :)

From what i have read online, they are skipping this year and releasing a TW 2016 in 2015 for next gen.

Probably just some website spouting ****e though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Therein lies the problem with licenced games they may play brilliantly, but the rehashed EA Sports version that comes out every 6 months with licence outsells its regardless of how good it is.

Shame really, some actual competition may make EA make a decent innovative sports game......oh looks FIFA 14 World Cup edition is out and its full price.......

From what i have read online, they are skipping this year and releasing a TW 2016 in 2015 for next gen.

Probably just some website spouting ****e though

From all that I could find, officially anyway, was that they announced a game for Spring back in October 2013 and nothing has changed since.

I take it you read that in some forum?.

The same thing happened last year with NBA Live 2014, which was eventually cancelled when it was blatantly obvious it wasn't coming out.
    The same looks likely here since they announced a Spring date, which is now nearly over and haven't released more than the screen shots from October.

While TGC may not have the physics of the TW series, it's still a massive advantage to have a course creator.

I think in a competition between Tigers engine versus free content, you'd take the free content as the courses can get repetitive when ppl have played them a few times and can score low on every hole.

Big plus as well for PC gamers, I sold my gaming PC last year and this was one of the reasons: No Golf/Madden/FIFA(NEXT GEN)...and I'm big into my sports games so a console had to be the preference.

The "Early Access" for PC is available today on Steam.

www.gamespot.com/articles/highly-realistic-golf-game-with-no-loading-times-comes-to-steam-early-access-arriving-for-xbox-one-ps4-soon/1100-6419054/

Cost is $30 for this week then $35, not sure about €.

Wish it was out on Next Gen, but apparently this Next Gen of consoles isn't able to support such a basic and long standing concept as ER.

Another dent for these over priced, under utilised consoles.

Really sorry I bought one on release, such a sham by both companies to release them while having no commitment to them until probably Christmas.

The "Early Access" for PC is available today on Steam.

www.gamespot.com/articles/highly-realistic-golf-game-with-no-loading-times-comes-to-steam-early-access-arriving-for-xbox-one-ps4-soon/1100-6419054/

Cost is $30 for this week then $35, not sure about €.

Wish it was out on Next Gen, but apparently this Next Gen of consoles isn't able to support such a basic and long standing concept as ER.

Another dent for these over priced, under utilised consoles.

Really sorry I bought one on release, such a sham by both companies to release them while having no commitment to them until probably Christmas.

If you try it, let us know what its like, im still not sold on the whole idea of no licensed courses and gear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's up on Steam for €27.19. I'll wait for some feedback before I decide. Would be nice to get our own golf leagues going here. Hopefully this will be good enough.

If you try it, let us know what its like, im still not sold on the whole idea of no licensed courses and gear

I'd be playing it right now, but I sold my gaming PC a few months back and only have the XB1 one.

I wouldn't worry about the licensed courses tbh, any of the main courses will be made to perfection by the community in a few weeks.
    It's not just random courses that can be generated, but you can then go and edit each hole to make it resemble another course.

Some lad on Youtube made BayHill #1-3 and they don't look bad tbh.
    You could even do better than he did with more work which others will do.

I think I'd rather unlicensed user made courses than TW which offers the same few courses in mass rotation.
    We'll get all the regular ones like Andrews, Augusta and then a pile more in TGC.
    It's up on Steam for €27.19. I'll wait for some feedback before I decide. Would be nice to get our own golf leagues going here. Hopefully this will be good enough.

Check the HB forums as that's where a lot are posting.

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?board=15.0

For some live footage

http://www.twitch.tv/angelmahone

Ive watched a fair bit of footage between the BETA videos on Youtube and a few minutes of that lad playing live and have to say I'm sold on it anyway.

Downloading right now :D

brianon wrote: »
    Downloading right now :D

I wish I was too.

Have nothing but BF4 to play at the minute, next gen options are pathetic since launch. :(

They were talking about having cross platform play.

They acknowledged though that between consoles it wouldn't happen but maybe between PC and one console(you'd imagine that would be the Xbox since MS have a hold in both) so we might be able to have tournaments through here even with different formats.

After watching it on youtube today, i think the game is growing on me,

The only thing now that will be a dissapointment when i buy it, is not being able to use the clubs i use

If anyone else has this on Steam you can add SendMoreCops as a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

This game is pretty good actually. Controls are tight and the putting is great once you get the hang of it. Add me on Steam: dave7g

After downloading this game and playing a little, it seems to be very badly optimized graphics wise.

Laptop here burning up, struggling to get 20fps

After downloading this game and playing a little, it seems to be very badly optimized graphics wise.

Laptop here burning up, struggling to get 20fps

Optimization will hopefully come later. It's version 0.1 atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ken Masters

I've been playing golf games since Arnold Palmer golf on the Sega megadrive , When pga tour came out I fell in love it straight away, then that was followed by Links golf which was around about the time when the PlayStation 1 came out and then Tiger Woods came out, I always felt the tiger woods series took the piss out of golf, the whole ball going on fire etc was nonsense, but at least you could switch this off in latter versions, it had it's good points , real courses been the main good point, real clubs balls and clothing also kept us interested, career modes also gave it lifespan, but it always felt like it was not a serious golf sim, the greatest golf game of all time is Pro 18 golf which was on PlayStation 1, it was so realistic, no piss takes and it was very tough , I've always wondered why this game never carried over to next gen consoles, the next best thing to it is World golf tour , or WGT, I'm sure you guys know it, it's a superb internet based game , this golf club looks amazing, it looks like it's taken a serious approach to a serious game that is golf, it doesn't matter a jot wether it's real courses or golfers etc, the main thing about golf games is GAMEPLAY, and this game seems to tick all the boxes as far as how golf games should be, it looks and sounds great, can't wait for it to finally arrive on the Xbox One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ken Masters

I've been playing golf games since Arnold Palmer golf on the Sega megadrive , When pga tour came out I fell in love it straight away, then that was followed by Links golf which was around about the time when the PlayStation 1 came out and then Tiger Woods came out, I always felt the tiger woods series took the piss out of golf, the whole ball going on fire etc was nonsense, but at least you could switch this off in latter versions, it had it's good points , real courses been the main good point, real clubs balls and clothing also kept us interested, career modes also gave it lifespan, but it always felt like it was not a serious golf sim, the greatest golf game of all time is Pro 18 golf which was on PlayStation 1, it was so realistic, no piss takes and it was very tough , I've always wondered why this game never carried over to next gen consoles, the next best thing to it is World golf tour , or WGT, I'm sure you guys know it, it's a superb internet based game , this golf club looks amazing, it looks like it's taken a serious approach to a serious game that is golf, it doesn't matter a jot wether it's real courses or golfers etc, the main thing about golf games is GAMEPLAY, and this game seems to tick all the boxes as far as how golf games should be, it looks and sounds great, can't wait for it to finally arrive on the Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Looking forward to this. The map editor will be sweet, instead of having to pay EA 5euro per course, we'll have endless amounts of free content.. hopefully with a good rating system so the cream rises to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

This is down to €25.59 now in the steam sale, but still in early access. Anyone know when this is due for full release?

This is down to €25.59 now in the steam sale, but still in early access. Anyone know when this is due for full release?

Last time I checked their Twitter they didn't know.

Some wait considering it was available in April, I expected it within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭Julez

You can get it on Kinguin for €14.99

http://www.kinguin.net/category/5932/the-golf-club-steam-gift/

According to their twitter release will be this summer
    https://twitter.com/thegolfclubgame/status/479972256517349376

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

how is it looking for those that have played it?

So the Golf Club has been sent for certification(or whatever its called) for consoles. Iv enjoyed it alot on PC, might wait a while before i get it on PS4, will wait to see what additions they make.

Good game though, but it does need some user customizing , like putter shape/color, driver color etc

This is launching tomorrow for Xbox and PC.

PS4 version will be about a week behind with some delay getting it certified or similar.

Price will be e30 iirc and available through the store only

• Registered Users Posts: 29,471 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So is this just mostly for online or is there a single player 'career' mode as well? I don't watch Golf but I like Everybody's Golf and this looks like it will be good. I usually have a look at the trophies/cheevos to get a sense of what will be in the game.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/the-golf-club/achievements/

Anyone playing on PC, is there much depth to it? Just wondering as it looks like it will be a half price game (ps4)

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    So is this just mostly for online or is there a single player 'career' mode as well? I don't watch Golf but I like Everybody's Golf and this looks like it will be good. I usually have a look at the trophies/cheevos to get a sense of what will be in the game.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/the-golf-club/achievements/

Anyone playing on PC, is there much depth to it? Just wondering as it looks like it will be a half price game (ps4)

There is no career mode afaik and online will work two ways I believe
    1. Ghost ball
    2. Live

So you can play any course with a ghost ball for company, provided someone played it.

The game has pros and cons.
    You won't get the depth of TW with real golfers and different game modes but you do get a course maker and community to download new courses which keeps things fresh.

Thats a deal maker for me. I love TW but if you've played a few you're getting a repetitive selection to choose from and in a game like golf, repeat courses leads to a linear experience.

With the course maker in this, we're bound to get good replications of the TWs courses anyway.

Advertisement