Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Golf Club/EA PGA 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

The actual game play is a lot more rewarding than any tiger woods game ever was, its much more of a simulation. No after spin, no power boost, no tiger vision. Think my best I've ever got is probably about a 5 under round, but always around the 5 under to 5 over range. In Tiger Woods I'd be getting birdies and eagles on almost every hole. I'm playing on the PC and so is my house mate, we regularly play each others ghosts to keep it interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It's tough you can be going along grand and then you make a mistake and it throws out your whole round, I'm pretty rubbish and I'm not improving ಠ_ಠ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Finally getting around to downloading this now. Will join that tournament as soon as its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

The graphics aren't all that great at all. Sitting far away from my 50" tv it looks alright but when I move a metre away I can clearly see that it has got some issues. The V-sync option helps a small bit but still isn't great.

Aside from that the gameplay is pretty good. It is reasonably difficult but I am crap at golf games. The right flick of the analog stick will get a sweet shot, slight deviation and you'll slice it. Kind of like real life.

I'm not sure how long it'll keep me interested but the abundance of courses to select helps.

Played the first course of the tournament and finished up level par. Its tough going to start off with, teeing off is far too easy to hit fairway after fairway but the approach shots and putting make up for it. The putting I found especially difficult to begin with but I'm getting the hang of it now. On my TV the game stutters and there is lots of screen tearing during ball flight. The graphics are functional, only thing I thought looked really good was the water effects.

One thing that really annoys me is how slow the game is to boot up, after I get the "hit X to continue" it loads for about 5 minutes! Very annoying.

That doesn't happen me whatsoever. Loads quite fast.

irishmover wrote: »
    That doesn't happen me whatsoever. Loads quite fast.

It seems to have stopped doing it now, loads quick enoguh. Don't know what was causing it to be so slow.

Playing this on and off over the weekend, had about 6 or 7 rounds so far. I entered a Tournament on the Operation Sports site on the OS Hills course and by god is it tough. Shot a +24 in the 1st round, +15 in the 2nd and two more to go and to be honest I didn't hugely enjoy it mainly because of the course. The greens are artificially difficult, either completely flat and easy to putt on or like putting on glass with slopes up to and away from the hole. There are bunkers placed exactly where you land leaving a spot of fairway about 5 metres wide to land on. It ruins the immersion for me as golf courses just aren't made like that and the fact that a site like OS is using this course is making me wonder what the other courses in the designer are like. If thats the standard creation from users I'll be very disappointed.

On the plus side I do enjoy the mechanics and the gameplay itself just hoping the course creations are bit better than the one mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Ken Masters

Anybody looking to keep an interest in this game the best way is to create Tournaments, I've got the hang of the course creator and I must say it's amazing,add me on Xbox one, Earthworm Bim is my gamertag I am in the middle of making a course called Dublin Bay Links i'll be setting up Tournaments on it as soon as I'm done making the course

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Just played the Boards.ie tournament last night. One or two seriiously impressive scores. Currently 3rd I think.

Feel free to add me on PSN - ID = Sudsy81

Anybody got a Boards.ie comp set up on xbox one? i'm currently making a course it's a slow process when you dont have much time! if nobody has set one up i'll get one going not on my course i'll find something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

My understanding was that you don't have to be on Playstation to enter the comp. You can enter comps/tours etc. cross platform becasue all courses are cross platform.

Maybe I picked it up wrong though?

Grudle wrote: »
    Just played the Boards.ie tournament last night. One or two seriiously impressive scores. Currently 3rd I think.

Feel free to add me on PSN - ID = Sudsy81

It's an easy tournament think one chap was -38 on it !now anyone can play the tournament so he probably wasn't a boardie. I'm really crap at the game lol I get frustrated and keep hooking the ball or sending it into the water.

Grudle wrote: »
    My understanding was that you don't have to be on Playstation to enter the comp. You can enter comps/tours etc. cross platform becasue all courses are cross platform.

Maybe I picked it up wrong though?

i dont think this is the case, i know you can share courses cross platform alright but tournaments and tours very much doubt that and the reason i'm saying this is because i searched for it via the one and nour a sign of it.

It's an easy tournament think one chap was -38 on it !now anyone can play the tournament so he probably wasn't a boardie. I'm really crap at the game lol I get frustrated and keep hooking the ball or sending it into the water.

you can create private tournaments between friends so ide suggest set up a thread for boardies usernames because if you dont any aul Farty Yelson can join the open

i dont think this is the case, i know you can share courses cross platform alright but tournaments and tours very much doubt that and the reason i'm saying this is because i searched for it via the one and nour a sign of it.

Ken if your stuck for tournaments AVF forums set up there own just search for AVF and you might find some, same for PS4 although they are hard tournaments!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Anybody on PS4 still play this, if so , add me Rossi-IRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Is the boards.ie tournament still available and on PS4. Tried searching for it but can't find it? My psn username is FastFB1981. Feel free to add

Wouldn't think so but there's nothing stopping anyone here setting up another. I've entered a few of the AVF forums tournaments, there's a decent amount playing them and the standard isn't ridiculously high like some of the bigger tournaments.

Thanks. Played the first round of a both avf tournaments. As you say standard isn't ridiculously high although I'm still near the bottom. Good game so far. Variety of courses is good.

Yeah i'm not exactly lighting it up either but I enjoy them more as you're not seeing people post scores of -18/19 per round. Yeah they pick really good ones, I've played other tournaments where the courses were unfair, you'd play an approach to 2 ft, miss the putt marginally and end up 20 ft past the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Is this digital download only?

Liamalone wrote: »
    Is this digital download only?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Looking forward to Ea Sports PGA - think due for release in April - hope its a good one

Seriously, why has nobody stated the obvious! This is turd. Downloaded it tonight for a golf fix and it is awful, Commodore 64 would do a better job.

AVOID like the plague

Seriously, why has nobody stated the obvious! This is turd. Downloaded it tonight for a golf fix and it is awful, Commodore 64 would do a better job.

AVOID like the plague

You clearly haven't played the same game as myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

was thinking that myself. The Golf Club is a super game

irishmover wrote: »
    You clearly haven't played the same game as myself.

I clearly have, why would I say as much if I hadn't :P

First impressions were crap, played 36 holes and my opinion didn't change. I played it with an amigo of mine whom I've had a friendly rivalry with over the years on Tiger and he has the same opinion. Awful game, would just about qualify as an arcade title. €35???? I'll be complaining to Microsoft tomorrow and requesting a refund it is that bad.

Any wonder it is download only.

AVOID like the plague.

p.s. the commentator would get on a saint's nerves.

I clearly have, why would I say as much if I hadn't :P

First impressions were crap, played 36 holes and my opinion didn't change. I played it with an amigo of mine whom I've had a friendly rivalry with over the years on Tiger and he has the same opinion. Awful game, would just about qualify as an arcade title. €35???? I'll be complaining to Microsoft tomorrow and requesting a refund it is that bad.

Any wonder it is download only.

AVOID like the plague.

p.s. the commentator would get on a saint's nerves.

Those people who like the fancy gimmicks in tiger woods will hate this game. This game sticks to the basics of golf. Tiger woods is a bit trashy in comparison. €35 is a lot of money. I paid $25 and its worth it.

I agree though in regards the commentator. I laugh every time I hear his voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Anyone played PerfectGolf yet ? New to EarlyAccess. Enjoying it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

EA's PGA Golf game is now Rory McIlroys PGA Tour with a June release.

Good news.

Hope they put more real golfers in it like Lowry, Harrington and others, not just 10 or 12 that they usually have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

The Polygon story has been updated with more evidence leading to suggest that the Masters' Augusta National course is excluded. Theres an interview with the games developers here. I'm glad the fantasy courses that were teased at last E3 are still a part of it.

Ah no, would be terrible to lose any of the real courses, the number of courses should be doubled since its not on last gen, but knowing ea, it will be 10 courses on disc then 20 by overpricd dlc

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Ah no, would be terrible to lose any of the real courses, the number of courses should be doubled since its not on last gen, but knowing ea, it will be 10 courses on disc then 20 by overpricd dlc

In fairness to them it was possible to earn the DLC courses in the last game if you put the effort in.
    Hopefully that remains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

This is down to $11 on the Xbox store, is it worth it? I'll prob buy EA's game when it comes out but wouldn't mind a golf fix now, for obvious reasons.

Has this been updated much since it launched and how is the course creation community? Is there good reproductions of famous real-life courses at this stage?

Just posted this in the Xbox thread about it

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rottie 11 View Post
    The golf club is 11euro on the store, has anyone played it?
    I have it on the ps4, mixed feelings about it. Like the variety of courses available even though some are extremely unrealistic and artificially difficult, many well liked course designers put in things like slopes around the green to make it harder if you miss a putt for example.

The gameplay itself is the standard analogue stick job but it's a lot harder than tiger games, there's no visual aids really apart from a rough guideline and the putting is very hard to begin with. I'm still very bad at it to be honest which frustrates me, I'm bad enough at golf in real life without being reminded of that in a game.

Don't expect amazing graphics either and performance on some courses can be very poor.

For 11 quid though its probably worth a go.

Picked this up when it was on sale, prob worth it in the end. Fairly bare bones but does the job. The way it gives you a handicap is kind of cool, at least gives you a bit of a goal when there is no season mode or any other real form of progression.

Anyone who is thinking of picking it up for a golf fix after The Masters though, I'd hold off. No way it's worth 35 quid so I'd just wait til EA's offering is out in a month or two.

anyone set up a boards.ie tournament on Xbox one to give it some interest?

there is a website called Tgctours.com check it out its pretty cool ya play 6 rounds, sign your card via the website then you get a card depending on your performance, think there is 4 Tours in total, runs for the whole year but ya can join whenever u play your 6 rounds. ive 2 more rounds to play before i get a card, i think i'm looking at the champions tour which is the lowest of the tours.

Would recommend everyone give Magnolia National, Georgia course a go. Its basically Augusta so can get your masters fix there. Theres a few different versions. Its tough but a bit of fun.

Second this. They have a version for every day of the tournament (Thurs-Sun). Played a quick round on Sunday and it absolutely nails the look of the place, the shot onto the 11th green in particular, down the hill, was perfect.

The same guy also made the Par 3 Augusta course, fair play to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Actual gameplay footage from the EA game.......meh.

PGA Tour 2015 out this week, but no Augusta...

Anyone played the XBox demo?

Played about 3-4 hours. It's only middling for me so far. Graphics are kind of poor, considering it's on the 'new' consoles. The models are a bit sh*te and I've noticed a decent bit of pop-in. Now, it's a golf game so it's obviously not a dealbreaker but I was just disappointed. Like if you saw it on 360 you wouldn't be blown away.

Gameplay wise, it's decent. Controls are a lot more customisable than The Club. Of the swings modes, there's 'three-click', 'arcade' (which I presume is like the old one with boost and mid-flight spin) and 'tour'(or something like that, can't remember the exact name). That version is very similar to The Club if you've played it, though a bit more forgiving. I've customised it so I have the 'tour' swing but I can zoom into the target, which is handy (minus the shot arc and all that).

Been playing season only. Customisation of your character's actual appearance is kind of limited if you're into that. For your face, you just pick skin tone and it kind of gives you the face, you can't go putting your eyes really far apart or give yourself a Michael Jackson nose if ya wanted! Attributes wise, it's kind of interesting. You pick traits rather than upgrade skills individually. So I have a trait that improves my power attributes and another that boosts my putting ones. You can unlock four overall I think

Overall it's grand. Wouldn't really go paying full-price for it though, 25-30 tops. I'd probably have it ahead of The Club but I'm a bit of a sucker for licensed gear and stuff like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kev1990

I have just Downloaded the new ea golf game for ps4, however all that seems to be available is the quick round or Prologue, Anyone else have this problem?

I have it as well, that just means it's still installing, you can only play prologue or quick round of chambers bay while it's installing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Is it any good lads

The gameplay is good I think but it's got almost no content. Barely any pros, not many courses and the career mode is pretty shocking. I remember in the old ones there was a sense of achievement in unlocking the various clubs, now there's barely any licensed clubs and it's just a slow progression to unlock them. Quick rounds is a great idea and works well though. Graphics are mediocre compared to other next gen sports games. Don't get the online tournaments, the open is on at the moment yet there's no online tournaments at St. Andrews. Odd. There's no alternative shot option either which kinda ruins local multiplayer for me as that's what we always played that.

6/10 about right I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kev1990

I have it as well, that just means it's still installing, you can only play prologue or quick round of chambers bay while it's installing

How long did it take to install? I've had the game since Thursday and no change