Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Breweries

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

:)

Freudian slip!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seaneh wrote: »
    What price hike would that be?

The only things that have changed price in the bars this year were;

1) Stormy Port, explained already, it's a different beer which is now 5.8% abv (as opposed to 4.8% before), and as such attracts more duty and costs more to brew. But sure they should eat the difference because you can't get your head around simple math. And if you're that hard up for .40c per pint you still have Full Sail (5.3% abv) and Bay Ale (4.4% abv) at 5.10 (4.55 in Galway) to cry into.

2) Brewdog beers, explained already, because Four Corners have raised the price of a keg of all brewdog beers by upwards of 15%, as a result GBB are probably going to drop all their brewdog taps.

People moaning about "being ripped off", nobody forces you to drink in their bars, nobody forces you to drink their beers, go somewhere else and drink someone elses beers.

I really do think that there is some weird trait inherent in some people on these boards that anyone who has any modicome of success will be lambasted for their successes, as was previously witnessed by the thread about the sale of Franciscan Well.

As a wise man once said, buy or don't buy, there is no gouge.
    Christ who added extra pi$$ to your Full Sail or other GBB drink. I made a sarcastic comment, no need to get your GBB shield and sword out and ride to their rescue in response.

They obviously havent had any success in terms of reducing their cost per unit since moving to a larger premises and selling larger volumes of beer, interesting one. But no point us infidels questioning our almighty beer overlords. And anyway its all been discussed already before your input was given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

They obviously havent had any success in terms of reducing their cost per unit since moving to a larger premises and selling larger volumes of beer, interesting one.

Again, they are a business, they most likely have reduced the cost per unit on the production side, resulting in more profit for them. Which is how a business is supposed to work.

If people are concerned with getting high quality beer to market cheaply, perhaps they should form a brewing co-op or such?

They obviously havent had any success in terms of reducing their cost per unit since moving to a larger premises and selling larger volumes of beer,

They have constantly and consistently put profits back into the business, more pubs, more equipment, more beers, more staff.
    They are moving for the second time in a year to a new brewery which will dwarf their current brewery in size and output to try and meet demand (they regularly run out of certain beers).
    It's easier to see where their money is going than just about any other brewery in Ireland.

Clearly their business model is working, extremely well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I've heard it from the the source of the beer and an owner of an off licence.
    The owner of the offie told me himself that he'd put the beers our in the afternoon and was called before the end of business that day by the noreast rep who apologised for the error and told him the correct price.

Even if it wasn't an error and someone was chancing their arm, the price wasn't/isn't set by the brewery, it's set by their distributors.

Is it not illegal for a distributor to set a price? Surely it should be up to each off-licence to set their own price?

• Advertisement

Is it not illegal for a distributor to set a price? Surely it should be up to each off-licence to set their own price?

The distributor sets the price they sell to the off licences.

Off Licences need to set margins that make it worth their while to sell the beers.

They can't enforce an RRP but they can set a wholesale price that pretty much dictates it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Again it boils down to people getting pissy pants about a business making a profit. How shocking.

drumswan wrote: »
    Again, they are a business, they most likely have reduced the cost per unit on the production side, resulting in more profit for them. Which is how a business is supposed to work.

If people are concerned with getting high quality beer to market cheaply, perhaps they should form a brewing co-op or such?
    They have constantly and consistently put profits back into the business, more pubs, more equipment, more beers, more staff.
    They are moving for the second time in a year to a new brewery which will dwarf their current brewery in size and output to try and meet demand (they regularly run out of certain beers).
    It's easier to see where their money is going than just about any other brewery in Ireland.

Clearly their business model is working, extremely well.
    Certainly and thats their number one aim. I would argue that loyalty to customers/high level of customer service should also have a part to play when you are selling high quality produce. I'm not getting into it again though, its been done to death by now in here.

Again it boils down to people getting pissy pants about a business making a profit. How shocking.

It really does yes, super insightful posting. It offends me hugely to see someone take my money, give me a product and then have the balls to keep my money and make more when i repeat the transaction. How shocking indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

On the offie prices - McCambridges in Galway doing OFAF for 7.15e.
    Super Valu Moycullen in at 5.70e (2 day old bottles when I was there last Fri)

Some difference but I think McCambridges are a total rip off anyway. Great selection of beers no one else has but they know how to charge for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Some difference but I think McCambridges are a total rip off anyway. Great selection of beers no one else has but they know how to charge for them.

Ya I was shocked when I saw the price last Saturday Im sure I paid around the €5 mark for OFAF the last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

McCambridges have Fyne Jarl there now though so will defo be back to buy that.

I would argue that loyalty to customers/high level of customer service should also have a part to play when you are selling high quality produce.

I was a regular i Salt House while I lived in Galway, I drank there for several years while the bar had 3 different managers and to a man I've never found the staff anything buy helpful, friendly and knowledgeable, even the young girl who worked weekends was helpful with recommendationsand she didn't even drink beer!

I now drink regularly in Brew Dock (handy because 2 busses which pass my house stop right beside it) and again, the staff are all extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgable in fact I've read several articles/blogs online which say things like "best staff in Dublin" or "friendliest staff ever" and so on.

I've never had an issue with customer service in any GBB bar, and I've drank in pretty much all of them.

And what do you mean by loyalty to customers? The loyalty card? It was a promotion they ran for a time and then withdrew, this is common practice by lots of companies, maybe they will re-introduce it, maybe they won't, I don't feel like they owe me anything.
    They do tend to do nice things for regulars like tell them in advance when certain things will be coming in, hold bottles or rare drinks for them if they ask etc.
    Old manager of Salt House held a brink of westie XII for me when nowhere else in Galway had any, he got 5 bricks from Grand Cru, kept one for himself and sold the other 4 to regulars for less than the RRP. That's a pretty decent level of customer service. I still have 2 of those bottles in a cupboard in my grandmother's attic in Athlone actually, must root them out for the 30th this august.

One think McC's do have for a decent price (or did) was the O'Hara's range, they were doing 4 for a tenner on those, which I think is very good value.

Speaking of Super Valu Moycullen, last summer they were seling the kiwi beers like Epic and Tuatara for way less than everyone else in Ireland. Was like €3.50 for a bottle of Epic's Hop Zombie or Armageddon and less than €3 for bottles of Tuatara's APA (which I think is a beautiful beer).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I've never had an issue with customer service in any GBB bar, and I've drank in pretty much all of them.

Wet glasses is a recurring problem in The Black Sheep. Herself is driven demented with it.

I was a regular i Salt House while I lived in Galway, I drank there for several years while the bar had 3 different managers and to a man I've never found the staff anything buy helpful, friendly and knowledgeable, even the young girl who worked weekends was helpful with recommendationsand she didn't even drink beer!

I now drink regularly in Brew Dock (handy because 2 busses which pass my house stop right beside it) and again, the staff are all extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgable in fact I've read several articles/blogs online which say things like "best staff in Dublin" or "friendliest staff ever" and so on.

And what do you mean by loyalty to customers? The loyalty card? It was a promotion they ran for a time and then withdrew, this is common practice by lots of companies, maybe they will re-introduce it, maybe they won't, I don't feel like they owe me anything.
    They do tend to do nice things for regulars like tell them in advance when certain things will be coming in, hold bottles or rare drinks for them if they ask etc.
    Old manager of Salt House held a brink of westie XII for me when nowhere else in Galway had any, he got 5 bricks from Grand Cru, kept one for himself and sold the other 4 to regulars for less than the RRP. That's a pretty decent level of customer service. I still have 2 of those bottles in a cupboard in my grandmother's attic in Athlone actually, must root them out for the 30th this august.

always had great service from the majority of salthouse staff,not all.scholars rest are poor in my opinion,hit and miss in the cottage and oslo,especially when busy.
    as for the loyalty aspect of it,saying they ran it for a time makes it sound like a short run thing,its been going well over two or three years and was pulled without a word to customers as to why,as i said before in this thread,all they had to do was give a quick social media update/reason for it and that would have been fine,they are quick to update every other little thing they do.
    undoubtedly you will see the opposite view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

alastair wrote: »
    Wet glasses is a recurring problem in The Black Sheep. Herself is driven demented with it.

I've found the staff in the Black Sheep poor on a few occasions. They don't seem to have the same knowledge as some of the other bars, which I could forgive but I've also found a couple of them a bit rude on occasion.

I've always found the staff in the Brewdock fantastic, and the guys in Alfie Byrnes seemed fine when I was there.

Just for pig-iron here is a list of Brewdog ales on a price per unit basis, looks like 5AM Saint is second cheapest. This is on a bottle basis, wonder how the GBB beers would stack up?

http://beyondtheale.wordpress.com/2013/11/20/brewdog-value-for-money/

Just for pig-iron here is a list of Brewdog ales on a price per unit basis, looks like 5AM Saint is second cheapest. This is on a bottle basis, wonder how the GBB beers would stack up?

http://beyondtheale.wordpress.com/2013/11/20/brewdog-value-for-money/

Would be a lot of math to do the work, you;d also have to consider that a UK unit and an Irish unit are different.

Good luck compiling the data. Will you be using av average of the Galway and Dublin Prices and will you be comparing it to the price of Brewdog beers in Ireland or the UK?

Should be a nice way to kill a boring good friday for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Just read this whole trend, irish bitterness alive and well. Fair play to them, dont like it for the price don't buy. Good luck to an Irish business employing people and delivering nice beers.

Seneah, what's your grannys address in athlone, im great at upgrading attics ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Just thought I'd mention that The Oslo recently had a €4 special offer on all Irish craft beers on Wednesdays, which was a great deal and one I happily availed of on a few occasions. This evening I found out that this deal has been discontinued.

Taken in isolation, this wouldn't bother me too much, but when it's coupled with the ending of the loyalty cards, and the ridiculous pricing of some of the beers, it counts as another disincentive for me.

P.S. My guess for the 'special announcement' tomorrow is that it's the peanut butter stout which the brewery tweeted about a few weeks ago, but which hasn't materialised yet.

Regardless of what it is, I won't be paying a visit to a Galway Bay pub anytime soon.

Would be a lot of math to do the work, you;d also have to consider that a UK unit and an Irish unit are different.

Good luck compiling the data. Will you be using av average of the Galway and Dublin Prices and will you be comparing it to the price of Brewdog beers in Ireland or the UK?

Should be a nice way to kill a boring good friday for you.

I have absolutely no interest in doing the maths!
    I was actually putting this up to show that cost querying goes on with other breweries too. By the way I'm fairly sure alcohol units are the same in both jurisdictions.
    I actually really like the Galway Bay bars and the price doesn't bother me for the most part. Not everyone's out to get you Seaneh!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aren't units just calculated by multiplying the ml x abv all divided by 1000?
    So it'd be the same anywhere. I think the confusion would be in the actual measures used in different countries.

The list posted by schemingbohemia is a little off in that it has the wrong price for Punk (that's assuming it uses the BrewDog website for it's prices).

It wouldn't be that difficult to do for the Galway Beers. Not sure what it would tell you though.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Aren't units just calculated by multiplying the ml x abv all divided by 1000?
    So it'd be the same anywhere. I think the confusion would be in the actual measures used in different countries.

The list posted by schemingbohemia is a little off in that it has the wrong price for Punk (that's assuming it uses the BrewDog website for it's prices).

It wouldn't be that difficult to do for the Galway Beers. Not sure what it would tell you though.

8g of pure alcohol = 1 x UK unit.

10g of pure alcohol = 1 x Irish unit.

http://www.yourdrinking.ie/about-alcohol/what-is-a-standard-drink/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

8g of pure alcohol = 1 x UK unit.

10g of pure alcohol = 1 x Irish unit.

http://www.yourdrinking.ie/about-alcohol/what-is-a-standard-drink/

So a 20% difference. Hardly NASA style maths calculations to compare.

Nice to see a bit of hype around the new beer being tapped today at 2pm in all the bars. Looking forward to popping into ATG after work for a sample.

Nice to see a bit of hype around the new beer being tapped today at 2pm in all the bars. Looking forward to popping into ATG after work for a sample.

It's not new, just new to keg, only a tiny amount of it though so don't get too attached, won't be around for long.

It's not new, just new to keg, only a tiny amount of it though so don't get too attached, won't be around for long.

200 Fathoms then?

200 Fathoms then?

I ain't sayin nothin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Will have a wander into the BrewDock after work around 6pm or so.

Advertisement