Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seaneh wrote: »
    I enjoyed the off complimentary beer for a full card and appreciated it, but they didn't ever have to offer the cards in the first place and are well within their rights to decide to stop offering it.
    If they reintroduce it I'd be happy but it really doesn't bother me. Using the card means you are limited in choice, without the card you are more likely to drink/try other beers (well, I am anyway) and their pubs (mostly) have a very good range.
    Today on my way home from college I had a glass of Founders All Day IPA (just as good as the bottles) and a bottle of Founders Imperial Stout (fantastic beer). If the loyalty cards were still in place I'd probably have just had a stormy port or a full sail instead, which is no bad thing, but I like variety.

Those two beers cost me a whopping total of €11.50 by the way (€4.50 and €7 respectively), great value considering one of them was a 10.5% imperial stout, especially compared to the likes of the not all that special nordic imports that people on here have no problem waxing lyrical about and paying through the nose for.
    Saying they never had to offer it is a silly statement to me, of course they didnt, but while they were growing their business they did offer it and to then pull it for no particular reason and with no obvious explanation is just bad customer service. A quick update on their social media platform or even a sign in the pubs would have been fair enough, they are usually quick to update us on everything else they do online so why not this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Ravelleman wrote: »
    5am Saint can still be had for €6 a pint in at least one other pub in the city centre though. :confused:

Can you post or pm me the pub please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

As I said in another post I had pints of Punk at €5.50 in The Attic bar in Swords last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I know the initial 6.70 price was a fault on noreast's end. They had a price list error when the first deliveries were made, they corrected it within a few hours.
    So either noreast actually made an error or chanced their arm but GBB haven't changed their price they sell to noreast at all.

As I said, I've heard it from a reliable source. I don't buy the "price error" line in the slightest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

BaZmO* wrote: »
    As I said, I've heard it from a reliable source. I don't buy the "price error" line in the slightest.

I've heard it from the the source of the beer and an owner of an off licence.
    The owner of the offie told me himself that he'd put the beers our in the afternoon and was called before the end of business that day by the noreast rep who apologised for the error and told him the correct price.

Even if it wasn't an error and someone was chancing their arm, the price wasn't/isn't set by the brewery, it's set by their distributors.

• Advertisement

I've heard it from the the source of the beer and an owner of an off licence.
    The owner of the offie told me himself that he'd put the beers our in the afternoon and was called before the end of business that day by the noreast rep who apologised for the error and told him the correct price.

Even if it wasn't an error and someone was chancing their arm, the price wasn't/isn't set by the brewery, it's set by their distributors.

Hey don't shoot the messenger. It's ok for companies to make mistakes, even the mighty GBB.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Can you post or pm me the pub please?

Mulligans of Poolbeg St. Price as of last night.

Hey don't shoot the messenger. It's ok for companies to make mistakes, even the mighty GBB.

But the mistake wasn't on GBB's part, as I said before they haven't changed their price. The mistake was on made by a 3rd party distributor.

But the mistake wasn't on GBB's part, as I said before they haven't changed their price. The mistake was on made by a 3rd party distributor.

It's ok Seaneh, I'm not mad at them. Mistakes happen.

It's ok Seaneh, I'm not mad at them. Mistakes happen.

Good ladeen, Noreast do supply some good beers and decent prices so I let the mistake slide too.

• Advertisement

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Mulligans of Poolbeg St. Price as of last night.

Cheers will defo go there this week. I'm been paying €6.70 in the Bernard shaw, mulligans is actually handier as well but never thought of it. Any ideas why that particular beer is expensive?

Cheers will defo go there this week. I'm been paying €6.70 in the Bernard shaw, mulligans is actually handier as well but never thought of it. Any ideas why that particular beer is expensive?

Brewdog beers in general are expensive in keg. Either brewdog or four corners are the cause of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Think mulligans serving is 400ml

matrim wrote: »

Ah that's a huge point. I'll look into now.

Ah there is no way in hell that Mulligans are selling 400ml (370ml is more realistic in those glasses anyway) for €6!

Ah there is no way in hell that Mulligans are selling 400ml (370ml is more realistic in those glasses anyway) for €6!

When they originally got the brewdog beers they were selling either 5am or punk in the smaller glasses, I'm not sure which and I'm not sure if they still do as the last few times I was there I was drinking O'Haras

As a side note I know the Longstone around the corner sells Punk and I think it goes for €6.10 a pint, but they don't do any Irish craft beer

Cassidy's is 6ish for a pint of punk too, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

jh79 wrote: »
    Paid 7.15 for OFAF in McCambridges last weekend!

€6.95 in Redmonds, much to my annoyance. Dunno how they can justify that considering its €5.70 in drinkstore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Wonder what they are releasing on Thursday? Seem to be quite excited about it on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

jh79 wrote: »
    Wonder what they are releasing on Thursday? Seem to be quiet excited about it on twitter.

A new price hike? ;):p

• Advertisement

Something special on the pilot taps, being very secretive about it, launching in all bars at the same time on Thursday.

Something special on the pilot taps, being very secretive about it, launching in all bars at the same time on Thursday.

Heard a rumour that it was a cask version of Two Hundred Fathoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Not buying into their marketing crap anymore, beyond caring, their pure greed has really turned myself & friends off,,,,,,they can be as secretive as they like not going along like a sheep anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Heard a rumour their rubbing their greedy hands with glee with the stupidity of their clientele to keep paying increased prices

I can categorically dismiss this rumour.
    No Two Hundred Fathoms was ever casked.

Heard a rumour their rubbing their greedy hands with glee with the stupidity of their clientele to keep paying increased prices

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

No Two Hundred Fathoms was ever kegged.

1000 litre batch & only 900 bottles. You might eat those words :p

A new price hike? ;):p

What price hike would that be?

The only things that have changed price in the bars this year were;

1) Stormy Port, explained already, it's a different beer which is now 5.8% abv (as opposed to 4.8% before), and as such attracts more duty and costs more to brew. But sure they should eat the difference because you can't get your head around simple math. And if you're that hard up for .40c per pint you still have Full Sail (5.3% abv) and Bay Ale (4.4% abv) at 5.10 (4.55 in Galway) to cry into.

2) Brewdog beers, explained already, because Four Corners have raised the price of a keg of all brewdog beers by upwards of 15%, as a result GBB are probably going to drop all their brewdog taps.

People moaning about "being ripped off", nobody forces you to drink in their bars, nobody forces you to drink their beers, go somewhere else and drink someone elses beers.

I really do think that there is some weird trait inherent in some people on these boards that anyone who has any modicome of success will be lambasted for their successes, as was previously witnessed by the thread about the sale of Franciscan Well.

As a wise man once said, buy or don't buy, there is no gouge.

1000 litre batch & only 900 bottles. You might eat those words :p

I can tell you right now, it was not casked.

All of their casks were recently used for something else anyway, and some of them are still in use for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

No Two Hundred Fathoms was ever kegged.
    :)

Advertisement