Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret A1

Options
  • 26-01-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Before you ask no I am not Ryan Sherlock :)

I am hoping to give an insight into the training of a A1 rider in Ireland.

I put down 27 hours this past week, finished off with a tough 5hrs in the hills today.

Monday 4hrs Steady
    Tuesday 4hrs Steady with 3 x 15 mins Threshold intervals
    Wednesday 5hrs with 2 hours tempo
    Thursday 2 hrs recovery
    Friday 4hrs with 10 x 1 minute efforts at 100%
    Saturday 3hrs tempo
    Sunday 5hrs in the hills

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Before you ask no I am not Ryan Sherlock :)

I am hoping to give an insight into the training of a A1 rider in Ireland.

I put down 27 hours this past week, finished off with a tough 5hrs in the hills today.

Monday 4hrs Steady
    Tuesday 4hrs Steady with 3 x 15 mins Threshold intervals
    Wednesday 5hrs with 2 hours tempo
    Thursday 2 hrs recovery
    Friday 4hrs with 10 x 1 minute efforts at 100%
    Saturday 3hrs tempo
    Sunday 5hrs in the hills

Mind me asking how you manage to squeeze all those hours in during the week? Up at 5 am?

That's some mega time in the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 motomandublin

Full time bike rider

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Oooh… this is unusual. Fair play for sharing, even anonymously. That's an impressive training volume. It'd break me.

Are you taking questions?

How do you guage your effort? Are you a power meter geek? Or use HR? Maybe proper old school and are guided by sensation?

With that in mind how do you define your terms? What specifically do you mean by "steady" or "tempo"? People use those terms to mean different things as far as I can tell.

Lastly, how far along are you in your training plan? You do, say, 4 week blocks with recovery weeks at the end? Is this a base building block looking towards May? Or does all that tempo mean you're aiming to be competitive earlier in the year?

Sorry for the wall of questions but it's rare to find someone who even admits to proper traing yet alone talks details.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Full time bike rider

How do you fund yourself?

Inquitus wrote: »
    How do you fund yourself?

How is that relevant to a training log or indeed any of our business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

niceonetom wrote: »
    How is that relevant to a training log or indeed any of our business?

Given this is an anonymous Q&A I don't see that answering this is an issue. But feel free to hop on your high horse at the first opportunity.

It is entirely relevant to how much time one can put into training. I'd be interested to hear how he is funded, sponsorship, building debt up in the hope of making it into the pro ranks, student etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This might be a stupid question but given the current cold, wet and stormy conditions do you warm up before going out or on the bike?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Won't make this an "official" mod comment/instruction, but let's calm down a bit. The OP can answer whatever he wishes to, but there is absolutely no expectation for him to respond to other posters questions. This is a training log - some posters like to ask questions and fair play to the OP for being prepared to "open up" with this training log. Essentially it's his log and he determines "content" and in particular who/what he wants to respond to (if anyone/anything)

One further point - I know it goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway. There must be absolutely no speculation over the real ID of the OP (or any other Boards member for that matter), nor should anyone ask questions which may be directed at establishing who he is

Inquitus wrote: »
    Given this is an anonymous Q&A I don't see that answering this is an issue. But feel free to hop on your high horse at the first opportunity.

It is entirely relevant to how much time one can put into training. I'd be interested to hear how he is funded, sponsorship, building debt up in the hope of making it into the pro ranks, student etc etc

I've no interest in bickering with you and I'm even more sure no one else wants to read us bickering in a thread where actual, useful training info might be discussed. Prying into relatively personal and tangential stuff about funding could easily be mistaken for high-horseing on your part and scare the OP away -A1s are by nature flighty, skittish and furtive creatures. There's no need to scare this one away by demanding his bank balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

I think it's a very interesting question, and would love to hear the answer. I couldn't hold down those sort of training hours with a day job and a life to contend with. It would be interesting to hear how a full time bike rider on an amateur domestic scene funds themselves.

• Advertisement

Guys I'm going I try be as open and frank as possible through this entire process and as such no questions( within reason) are 'off limits'.

I have no interest in disclosing my identity, the thread is just trying to give an insight into the life of an A1. I have toyed with the idea of doing a 'secret pro' style report from inside the A1 races but I'll see how possible that is once the racing starts. Honest reporting while keeping my ID hidden could be an impossible challenge.

To give you an idea of level I've been an a1 for 5 seasons, represented Ireland and won a1 races. Beyond that don't waste time trying to look for clues.

Cash isn't a major issue. I don't live a lavish lifestyle by any means.
    I setup a business in my early 20's, I have since stepped away from it but it still generates a modest income for me.

To answer some of the above. I train with power. A steady ride would be in the 220 - 300 w bracket (I'm 71 kg) whereas a tempo ride would be 300 - 320w

Threshold power is somewhere in the 390-400w range.

No warmup before going out on the bike, its generally so cold that I'll ride the first 10 mins hard just to generate some heat. I usually train alone so this style isn't a problem.

I don't use traditional training periodisation, that's pretty old school. I train in 4 day blocks generally with a rest day 'micro cycles'. Rest during a longer 'macro cycle' is gauged by fatigue. When I feel like quality is dipping I rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

great thread, thanks for posting...

What's day to day diet like? High carb, high fat, supplements etc...?
    Do you struggle to either put on or to drop weight, or do you not focus on it too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

Did you come to cycling late or have you always raced - up through the junior ranks etc?
    Did you have a background in other sports before cycling if you came late?
    Did you find that you needed to work hard to get to A1 or that it came to you pretty easily?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Welcome to the Forum.
    Thanks for the blog.

Nothing special on the diet. I don't use supplements. Just plenty of fresh fruit, veg, grains, nuts and lean cuts of meat. I think a certain love of the culinary arts is important for any athlete - especially a full time one.

In a sport with two major variables (power and weight) I obviously need to focus somewhat on diet but it's not a major concern given the weekly training volume.

I didn't race as a junior, came into the sport in early 20's and had a level of success straight away although there was an adaption phase before I was competitive in A1 races.

I would guess weekly training volume needs to be minimum 20 hrs per week to race competitively as an A1. If lads say they are doing less they are either super 'talented' or lying.

I don't use traditional training periodisation, that's pretty old school. I train in 4 day blocks generally with a rest day 'micro cycles'. Rest during a longer 'macro cycle' is gauged by fatigue. When I feel like quality is dipping I rest.

Ok, so does your training vary with the time of year or is that out too? I'm trying to get an idea of whether the week outlined in your first post is typical or would it be a specific part of some larger plan, maybe focusing on endurance and aerobic power and leaving more high intensity vO2 etc for spring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hello.
    Thanks for posting.
    A few questions.
    How long have you been full time as an athlete?

Why? Do you think that the goals that you have would be less achievable by working and training (the min of 20h as you suggest).

There are some successful A1s that have a career - would you accept that given the level of commitment that you could put in as a full time athlete that all other things being equal that you should be more successful than your fellow riders with less time available (either to train or recover).

What are your high level goals - ie don't feel the need to mention actual races, but how many results and platings in one days and stage races would constitute a goo return on your investment.

Best of luck for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Hats off for doing this, I don't have any questions of yet but will be watching this thread closely, as I'm sure plenty of others aspiring to reach that level will be too!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would guess weekly training volume needs to be minimum 20 hrs per week to race competitively as an A1. If lads say they are doing less they are either super 'talented' or lying.
    Linking to a thread we have in the main forum at present, do you do much on the turbo, and if so do you think that can actually cut down the amount of time required on the road significantly? - the thread is here, but we also have a similar topic running about time vs intensity

I guess what my question boils down to is do you think you could get away with less, but more targeted, training, or do you think your training is already sufficiently targeted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

^
    slightly embarrassed by that cross reference Beasty.
    Lest there be any confusion and for the avoidance of any doubt. I am a distinctly sub par club rider. Not even strong enough to be pack fodder.

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    ^
    slightly embarrassed by that cross reference Beasty.
    Lest there be any confusion and for the avoidance of any doubt. I am a distinctly sub par club rider. Not even strong enough to be pack fodder.
    You're not the only one ROK ON - but I do think it's an interesting question for all levels. Many people perhaps don't have the same job and family commitments and can structure their training very much as they like. However there are also lots of us that do have other things on that severely restrict our time in the saddle, and I think it's useful to get a variety of views on the matter (especially as I'm trying to be a lot more targeted with my own training this year!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

"I have toyed with the idea of doing a 'secret pro' style report from inside the A1 races..." - this would be great. There generally aren't any comments on anything above Cat4 here - I'm not sure what that says though.

Those power figures depress me!

Another solid week training down.
    I'm in Kerry and the weather is less than ideal for training but the climbs make even the worst weather tolerable.

25hrs with a mix of endurance and sub threshold efforts.

Very exciting routes announced for Ras Mumhan and An Ras. I'll hopefully be in the mix for both come show time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I'm in Kerry and the weather is less than ideal for training but the climbs make even the worst weather tolerable.

Pre-empted my question. Without wanting to know your location, when you say "hills", do you mean shorter, sharper stuff or do you have regular access to some longer climbs such as you'd find in Donegal, Wicklow, Kerry etc?

Ah Christ, just copped your name after I posted! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

25hrs with a mix of endurance and sub threshold efforts.

Very exciting routes announced for Ras Mumhan and An Ras. I'll hopefully be in the mix for both come show time!

Report in Soldier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

MIA?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

Is there a huge difference in training between the A1 and A2 categories? Does the few minutes handicap make a huge difference 100K + down the road? And in terms of the difference in training is there a massive jump up do you think in terms of A3 -> A2 -> A1? Obviously there will be a jump up but how drastic is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jack Joll

I would say the fitness for the distance in many of the one day races around Ireland there wouldn't be much difference. It would tell though on longer races majority of A3 would falter with fatigue in anything in the 140-160km range. I notice alot of A3's still don't work in the pack, it's like they've resigned to the fact the A1's, A2's are going to catch them and fancy their chances if a break goes up the road. Little do they know that a little more structured work from the front and keep the pace high, the scratch might never catch them, if the handicap is that good. A good scratch everybody will work, A3 the front 6 or 8 are the lads trying to keep pushing on.

Where the major difference I'd say would be is the amount of sustained attacks A1's and A2's could make would far exceed what the average A3 could take. Eventually the elastic would break, unless your a good A3, therefore you wont be A3 for long.

That's in my opinion, open to correction, thats my experience as an A3 having raced in many handicap races.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

great thread and very interesting, best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

A shame this isn't updated. Great for me as an A3 to get an idea of how the A1s train.

Advertisement